14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Yarborough Vaults
January 19, 2024, 5:14pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +214
Gold Stars: 32
Whenever I hear B Corp I wonder why its not A Corp as that sounds higher.

B side, Plan B etc etc. It sounds second rate as soon as you say it. I may invent A Corp accreditation for this reason.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 136
TAGG
January 19, 2024, 5:32pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,960
Gold Stars: 126
Woke balderdash

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 136
LocalLadGTFC
January 19, 2024, 5:57pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,219
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Poojah

“Beneficial” is the official answer, apparently.

Genuine question, to you and any other dissenting voices on this subject. I completely get that some may be disinterested in the notion of B Corp, or feel that it’s not particularly relevant in footballing circles, but what do you consider to be the downside to obtaining such a certification?

The crux of the B Corp mission seems to be about certifying “mission-driven corporations that are committed to using their business as a force for good”. What negative is there in GTFC being considered in such a light?

Because the £50 used for the application could of been used to buy a new centre half !!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 12 - 136
lew chaterleys lover
January 19, 2024, 6:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,720
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from diehardmariner
There aren't any downsides.  

They won't be able to come up with any.  Or if they do it'll be ridiculous ones like 'it distracts from on the pitch stuff'.

It'll just be like angry men shouting into an empty valley.  They're not really sure who or what they're angry about or what they're even shouting about to start with.  But they just know it's something to shout about.

Some people just like some form of anger to consume them in some way or another.  

Of course there are downsides.

The cost. The money needed to get the accreditation in the first place and the ongoing costs to maintain it and its not cheap as the chairman has confirmed.

There is a case to be made about it actually putting off more companies than it would attract; some might think their company would not aspire to such high standards and view it as too high a bar.

Some might think it is a rather artificial construct and prefer to deal with a company with decent standards but, not necessarily one who views everything through this particular lens.

There is also a case for it not to be it is not necessarily useful in professional football. Players, agents and administrators soon know which clubs are being well run without having an accreditation such as this to tell them.

If things don't go according to plan on the field and ticket sales drop, budgets may have to be cut but they will have to continue to apply all the necessary things to keep the accreditation or lose face.

Fans will also want to see success on the field whilst we are a B Corp member - it is lovely to have a well thought of club in the community and in (some) business circles but you won't take the fans with you without success.

I am sure there are lots of other downsides besides the upsides, but the board have obviously decided they want this B Corp accolade to set us apart. I hope they are right and I hope it is succesful.

I think it is important that everyone involved in the club pulls in the same direction and I think Artell is a huge admirer of the values the owners espouse which is fair enough and whether some fans think B Corp is useful or not is largely irrelevant.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 136
forza ivano
January 19, 2024, 6:31pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,188
Gold Stars: 265
so what are the costs Lou?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 136
jamesgtfc
January 19, 2024, 6:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,963
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from forza ivano

A few quid to apply and then just ongoing costs to run a decent, upstanding business that treats stakeholders with respect.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 136
LocalLadGTFC
January 19, 2024, 6:57pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,219
Gold Stars: 137

Of course there are downsides.

The cost. The money needed to get the accreditation in the first place and the ongoing costs to maintain it and its not cheap as the chairman has confirmed.

There is a case to be made about it actually putting off more companies than it would attract; some might think their company would not aspire to such high standards and view it as too high a bar.

Some might think it is a rather artificial construct and prefer to deal with a company with decent standards but, not necessarily one who views everything through this particular lens.

There is also a case for it not to be it is not necessarily useful in professional football. Players, agents and administrators soon know which clubs are being well run without having an accreditation such as this to tell them.

If things don't go according to plan on the field and ticket sales drop, budgets may have to be cut but they will have to continue to apply all the necessary things to keep the accreditation or lose face.

Fans will also want to see success on the field whilst we are a B Corp member - it is lovely to have a well thought of club in the community and in (some) business circles but you won't take the fans with you without success.

I am sure there are lots of other downsides besides the upsides, but the board have obviously decided they want this B Corp accolade to set us apart. I hope they are right and I hope it is succesful.

I think it is important that everyone involved in the club pulls in the same direction and I think Artell is a huge admirer of the values the owners espouse which is fair enough and whether some fans think B Corp is useful or not is largely irrelevant.

So you speak about the costs, so the only costs that have been mentioned is to do with the increase in wages to the real living wage which has cost the club 60'000. Would you rather in this cost of living crisis that the club revert to type and pay staff £20/£30 for helping out on matchdays? Because that's what I used to get when I helped steward  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 136
Maringer
January 19, 2024, 7:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,524
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from TAGG
Woke balderdash

*Sniggle*
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 136
Morph2000
January 19, 2024, 7:19pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +48
Gold Stars: 2
Why spend time and effort to get it.

Great pay a proper living wage for all staff. But I am totally against % of staff been white, black, women or men

As a club we want the best that the club can afford. Our CEO has worked wonders and am grateful however if it’s a man or women next time I am not fussed.

If we had a women manger that brought success we would be behind her but we should not be employing to tick boxes.  

Same with been environmental friendly great if we can but if it costs us the difference between promotion or relegation I know what I would want.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 136
lew chaterleys lover
January 19, 2024, 7:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,720
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from forza ivano

The fees to B Corp are on a sliding scale dependant on the volume of sales.

It is the extra costs to the business itself that have to be considered but before anyone gets too hot under the collar I'm just pointing out there are upsides and downsides to every decision taken. I know the Board are keen to go in this direction so I hope it succeeds.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 136
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.