Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Is DA a snake oil salesman.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Is DA a snake oil salesman.

This thread currently has 14,905 views. Print
16 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
pontoonlew
January 3, 2024, 1:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,040
Gold Stars: 177
The sheer lack of foresight on this forum over the past few days is exactly why managers get afforded so little time these days.

If a new manager is struggling to get existing players (who aren’t his) to play a certain way, then surely you judge him after he’s managed to address that issue? It’s that certain way of playing that we hired him for, and his record at Crewe showed gradual progress over a few seasons whilst that style of play was ingrained in the entire club.

To slate him for not doing that in EIGHT games is so staggeringly stupid.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 159
January 3, 2024, 2:16pm
Guest User
Quoted from ginnywings

It wasn't just the results that cost Hurst his job.

The boring, negative football was equally to blame for his demise.

Plenty of people said they wouldn't mind so much losing if we gave it a go on the pitch and played more on the front foot. We're doing that now, but it seems some are changing their stance after 3 defeats in 4.

Losing by 6 goals is shocking, but it has no more consequences than losing 1-0 and stinking the place out.

Agree with this.  For what it's worth, I think we should be looking at bringing in some players in the positions required, and that these players should be experienced in at least League Two and if possible League One.  I don't care if they are 34 or whatever, as long as they can bring their experience to bear on the squad and help those less experienced, and the youngsters coming through.  It would be also great if at least one of them was Captain material.

Reply: 121 - 159
Yoda
January 3, 2024, 2:20pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,162
Gold Stars: 71
Agree must also be injury free we cannot afford any more of them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 159
jamesgtfc
January 3, 2024, 2:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,966
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from pontoonlew
The sheer lack of foresight on this forum over the past few days is exactly why managers get afforded so little time these days.

If a new manager is struggling to get existing players (who aren’t his) to play a certain way, then surely you judge him after he’s managed to address that issue? It’s that certain way of playing that we hired him for, and his record at Crewe showed gradual progress over a few seasons whilst that style of play was ingrained in the entire club.

Would you accept relegation?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 159
dicko995
January 3, 2024, 2:58pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: -261
Gold Stars: 21
DA wants to make Blundell Park a fortress, well at least he,s got his squad of cowboys.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 159
davmariner
January 3, 2024, 3:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from pontoonlew

We might be in the National League by then. Surely that’s staggeringly stupid?

Up The Mariners!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 159
HerveJosse
January 3, 2024, 3:07pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from ginnywings

It wasn't just the results that cost Hurst his job.

The boring, negative football was equally to blame for his demise.

Plenty of people said they wouldn't mind so much losing if we gave it a go on the pitch and played more on the front foot. We're doing that now, but it seems some are changing their stance after 3 defeats in 4.

Losing by 6 goals is shocking, but it has no more consequences than losing 1-0 and stinking the place out.

JS said the decision to relieve PH was stats based based on stats that had been detoriating over 8 weeks before the trigger was pulled . I wonder how the same stats from December on compare.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 159
Southwark Mariner
January 3, 2024, 3:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,550
Gold Stars: 83
all I can hear is Shakira singing "the stats don't lie"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 159
pontoonlew
January 3, 2024, 3:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,040
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from davmariner

We might be in the National League by then. Surely that’s staggeringly stupid?

Even if we kept up the same PPG under Artell we’d be on 50 points which would be enough to stay up in all of the seasons I’ve gone as far enough back as I could be bothered to (18-19)

Not saying 50 points is acceptable, and I strongly believe that we’ll do better than that but the overreaction has been quite something. I’m certain it’s because we’ve been stung twice previously so I do get it, but we’re miles off being as bad as either of those two sides IMO.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 159
DB
January 3, 2024, 3:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
While I do not like us to lose, it is part of football. When you see the team win against Crewe, Salford and draw at Newport, you think something good is happening. Then the results and performance against Walsall and Harrogate were unbelievably poor.

We have been 'Jekyll & Hyde' for quite a while now but what I do not like is the manner in which the team virtually give up, the Walsall match highlighting this. These are professional players who train, physically and mentally all week to produce a professional performance on match day in accordance with the instructions of the management.

I cannot moan about a team that runs their guts out for 90 minutes and lose, but a team that is winning, let in a stupid goal and then go to pieces is totally ridiculous. Surely their training, as professional footballers, beit at Grimsby or elsewhere before they arrive here, should include the ability to overcome a stupid goal, not concede another one.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 159
16 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Is DA a snake oil salesman.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.