Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Is DA a snake oil salesman.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Is DA a snake oil salesman.

This thread currently has 14,914 views. Print
16 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
January 4, 2024, 10:07am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,257
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from davmariner

I happen to think your assessment of Hurst’s football is extremely negative and quite frankly, nonsense - like most of your posts on here.

I didn’t see many people saying that when we beat Southampton at St Mary’s and had a day out in Brighton. Not to mention the excellent play off campaign.

Yes, we won a 'backs to the wall' game at Southampton which earned us a day out at Brighton and, yes, we won a league spot back through the play offs, but can you honestly say that you approved of setting up in home games to nullify the opposition?

Take that a stage further, it might be acceptable if the end justifies the means, but if the results are crap as well as the football being crap?

David Artell was Crewe manager for over five years - some people are writing him off after five weeks with a set of players he didn't sign. Give him a break.
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 159
Wyberway
January 4, 2024, 1:13pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +43
Quoted from chaos33
[quote=140537]

We played well at Salford, be it against a poor side, and 38 mins against Walsall, until we let them equalise by Waterfall who has only 3 gears, its a shame but true. We need a "Sargeant when in the Trenches" but not a slow one.
We can play good football, but not in long enough periods, and I think the January window will disappoint fans as I think the money has been spent on other projects.
So we might get some stop-gap loans or freebies, I think the future is youth. Maybe earlier than anticipated, but at least they won't give up as easily as the oldies. UTM[/

What ‘projects’ are you referring to?

UTM[/

I also believe it’s time to put some faith in our homegrown talent. The way the youth team are performing, there can’t be a better time. This could be our ‘class of 92’
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 159
LocalLadGTFC
January 4, 2024, 1:54pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,224
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from GrimPol

We played well at Salford, be it against a poor side, and 38 mins against Walsall, until we let them equalise by Waterfall who has only 3 gears, its a shame but true. We need a "Sargeant when in the Trenches" but not a slow one.
We can play good football, but not in long enough periods, and I think the January window will disappoint fans as I think the money has been spent on other projects.
So we might get some stop-gap loans or freebies, I think the future is youth. Maybe earlier than anticipated, but at least they won't give up as easily as the oldies. UTM

What you've said is virtually impossible.. you can't spend your budget on other areas. Gary Neville went into good detail on Stick to Football not too long ago about how the budgets work in L2. You have to decide your budget for the season before the season has even started. You can't take away from it, only add to it. You can also only spend 55% I believe it is of football club income on your playing budget.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 142 - 159
Mappers
January 4, 2024, 2:19pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,330
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

What you've said is virtually impossible.. you can't spend your budget on other areas. Gary Neville went into good detail on Stick to Football not too long ago about how the budgets work in L2. You have to decide your budget for the season before the season has even started. You can't take away from it, only add to it. You can also only spend 55% I believe it is of football club income on your playing budget.

I don't understand the 55% thing with regards to capping the playing budget, as you don't accurately know what that is do you ? With cup runs , player sales , gates etc it's all quite variable . I would be interested to know how that works
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 159
GrimPol
January 4, 2024, 2:23pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69
[quote=3898][quote=140537]

So we might get some stop-gap loans or freebies, I think the future is youth. Maybe earlier than anticipated, but at least they won't give up as easily as the oldies. UTM[/

What ‘projects’ are you referring to?

By projects I meant  Repairs to Pontoon Roof (Asbestos), Main Stand repairs,  People in recruitment, Debbie, Data gathering, Media personnel. It all comes out the same pot.  People have banded about the million that the cup run made By the time we came to the end of said run, costs of chasing said run nibbled away at the million, the above nibbled away the rest .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 159
GrimPol
January 4, 2024, 2:26pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

I don't understand the 55% thing with regards to capping the playing budget, as you don't accurately know what that is do you ? With cup runs , player sales , gates etc it's all quite variable . I would be interested to know how that works

Clubs in the League 1 and League 2 operate within a Spending Constraint framework termed Salary Cost Management Protocol (SMCP). SCMP limits spending on player wages to a percentage of club Turnover. In League 1 clubs can spend a maximum of 60% of their turnover on wages - in League 2, the limit is 55%. There are no restrictions (in themselves) on the amount a club can lose or spend on transfer fees.
https://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/scmp.php Link for a longer explanation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 159
LocalLadGTFC
January 4, 2024, 2:32pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

It's a way to try and make things fair at this level and make clubs sustainable, obviously there's loopholes as seen by what happens at the likes of Notts County. Kieran Maguire is probably the lead financial expert in football and i'd imagine he's gone into a lot further detail than I ever could about it. Gary Neville, Darren McAnthony and Andy Holt are all quite open about there clubs although Neville has gone very quiet in terms of Salford now. Not sure how much involvement he plays over there now. The other two have answered questions on twitter and multiple different podcasts about finances etc. McAnthony is a good follow on Twitter, very open and honest with Posh fans and calls out media balderdash quite reguarly.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 146 - 159
GrimPol
January 4, 2024, 2:50pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Neither you nor I know what budget was put forward. If PH 45% budget in the Summer, leaving 10% for January, well fair enough.  But if he spent 55% in the Summer, what then?
But then of course you are assuming that the rest of wages and running costs equate neatly to 45% of the turnover. My point is that overhead costs (none football) have risen due to wages (more people) more maintenance, and investment in Data. Maybe Town can't spend 55% of Turnover on players, but only 45%, what then?

For your interest, this is a good link https://www.capology.com/uk/league-two/payrolls/2022-2023/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 159
LocalLadGTFC
January 4, 2024, 3:09pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from GrimPol

Neither you nor I know what budget was put forward. If PH 45% budget in the Summer, leaving 10% for January, well fair enough.  But if he spent 55% in the Summer, what then?
But then of course you are assuming that the rest of wages and running costs equate neatly to 45% of the turnover. My point is that overhead costs (none football) have risen due to wages (more people) more maintenance, and investment in Data. Maybe Town can't spend 55% of Turnover on players, but only 45%, what then?

For your interest, this is a good link https://www.capology.com/uk/league-two/payrolls/2022-2023/

Just to address that link, there's not a single site on the internet that has any idea what all 24 clubs in L2 are spending on wages. Given the fact we were in for 3/4 players on deadline day, I see that as the fact that all the budget isn't spent. Partner that with the fact we know Paul Hurst was always quite tight with how he spent his budget and always left money for January. We was active every year he was in charge here in the January months. You are also misinterpreting what I said, it has to be 55% of football club income. Not 55% of all spends. We lost a million pound last year and will probably lose close to that if not more this year. JS and AP are propping the club up with funds as and when needed and every penny that is possible is going into the first team budget.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 148 - 159
gytone
January 4, 2024, 3:19pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,029
Gold Stars: 8
We've debated for ages about repairs to the main stand, going around the corner and joining up with the pontoon, a necessity in my view if we wish to progress, and the relevant cost of this, would there not be grants available to help fund the project?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 159
16 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Is DA a snake oil salesman.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.