Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Is DA a snake oil salesman.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Is DA a snake oil salesman.

This thread currently has 15,094 views. Print
16 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
lew chaterleys lover
January 3, 2024, 11:14am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,760
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Some of those that played well in the first half on Monday looked much worse in the 2nd half then when they played for Hurst. We where drawing or losing games by relatively fine margins, during periods of the last 4 games we've embarrassed ourselves. That said though it was definitely time for Hurst to go.

I agree about getting steel in the side but am a little bit nervous that finding the experience with legs that we need in January will be difficult. We have 3 challenging games up next and based upon recent weeks it could get worse before it gets better.

I still don't think we'll get relegated but "philosophy" doesn't tend to keep you up.

Well you will lose by relatively small margins if everyone is defending every time the opposition have the ball but then the attacking threat almost totally disappears.

Like you say it might get a bit worse but then I think it will get very much better under Artell than Hurst. I agree the most important thing is to stay up and let's hope we can get the experience in that we need.
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 159
CSLM
January 3, 2024, 11:30am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +645
Gold Stars: 12
People keep mentioning these next 3 difficult games but they aren't that bad.
Admittedly if we defend as we have been we could get stuffed but I'm pretty sure we'll score a few ourselves.
Wouldn't be surprised to see us get between 2 to 6 points from them at all.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 159
GrimRob
January 3, 2024, 11:42am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,447
Gold Stars: 114

I get the impression you are not keen on DA, but his style of football will bring rewards if we can quickly get some steel into the side. As long as disaster doesn’t strike in terns of relegation then the future will look much better. Even the other day we played some brilliant football with players who looked less than average under Hurst.

I do agree though these longer term plans will be in limbo unless we make sure we stay up.

I've no problem with the style per se it's just trying to do everything at once that is the issue for me, kind of like Liz Truss tried to do in another realm, and she didn't last long. It's unnecessary risk. We already had long-term plans, that's why we signed young players on fairly long contracts. I just feel the summer is the time to make sweeping changes, this season is all about getting 45 points and staying up. I get DA is desperate to make a big impact, and I am 100% behind using a more data-driven approach, I have read most of the books as well. I still maintain though that the data should dictate the style, not the other way around, but you need a baseline to experiment from. Once you change everything all the data you had is out the window.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 112 - 159
dapperz fun pub
January 3, 2024, 12:17pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,048
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from rancido

It's not the criticism, if it's constructive , that is the point but the inference that JS is some kind of con man and also the phraseology used. JS and AP didn't have to step in when The Leech decided he wanted out . They are obviously town fans and felt that they could get the club on a more sustainable footing after years of mismanagement by a person who better fits the description " Snake Oil Salesman". This transition was always going to take time and this was pointed out by the new owners. In the same token DA also said it would take time with the squad and there would be highs and lows until he could enforce his principles and playing ethos into the players mindset. We fans , by nature, are impatient and our capitulation to Walsall will deeply hurt us but our progress back to being a competitive and well run club is a marathon, not a sprint.

I personally don’t  think jason  and Andrew are con men or snake oil salesmen far from it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 159
davmariner
January 3, 2024, 1:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,970
Gold Stars: 79
The elephant in the room is did we sack Hurst too soon? I’m not convinced we’d have done particularly worse had he stayed and he’d have had January to tweak the mistakes/underperforming players in the January transfer window.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 159
rancido
January 3, 2024, 1:11pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,655
Gold Stars: 100
Quoted from davmariner
The elephant in the room is did we sack Hurst too soon? I’m not convinced we’d have done particularly worse had he stayed and he’d have had January to tweak the mistakes/underperforming players in the January transfer window.

But if he had stayed would his recruitment in January been an improvement on his summer signings? If he had a fixed mind-set on the players he wanted then we would have had more of the same. I don't think he was capable of learning from his mistakes and I am convinced we would have struggled even more. Sure, DA has overseen some disastrous performances yet we are still mid table in the form guide since he took over.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 159
ginnywings
January 3, 2024, 1:13pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from davmariner

It wasn't just the results that cost Hurst his job.

The boring, negative football was equally to blame for his demise.

Plenty of people said they wouldn't mind so much losing if we gave it a go on the pitch and played more on the front foot. We're doing that now, but it seems some are changing their stance after 3 defeats in 4.

Losing by 6 goals is shocking, but it has no more consequences than losing 1-0 and stinking the place out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 159
MuddyWaters
January 3, 2024, 1:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from davmariner

Really?

He had one very lucky win in eleven games.
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 159
davmariner
January 3, 2024, 1:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,970
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from rancido

But if he had stayed would his recruitment in January been an improvement on his summer signings? If he had a fixed mind-set on the players he wanted then we would have had more of the same. I don't think he was capable of learning from his mistakes and I am convinced we would have struggled even more. Sure, DA has overseen some disastrous performances yet we are still mid table in the form guide since he took over.

The reality is that when overhauls take place, as it did in the summer given we lost McAtee, Lloyd, Smith, Crocombe etc, not all the signings are going to work. You’re lucky if 50/60% turn out to be good signings.

On paper we all thought those signings were good, but those same players aren’t in my view doing any better than under Hurst. My view is that to stabilise us in the way that we needed under Hurst required defensive reinforcements, players like Hunt shipped out and an addition in midfield and up front.

We were never blown away in matches in the same way as we were against Mansfield and Walsall. Bar Wrexham we were in all the games and only lost by the odd goal.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 159
mariner91
January 3, 2024, 1:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,748
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from davmariner

We've had three bad performances recently but until then had seen some improvement against MK Dons, Crewe, Salford, Morecambe and Oxford. Even Newport although not brilliant was better than what we'd been seeing under Hurst.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 159
16 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Is DA a snake oil salesman.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.