Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Is DA a snake oil salesman.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Is DA a snake oil salesman.

This thread currently has 14,903 views. Print
16 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
January 4, 2024, 3:20pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,409
Gold Stars: 113
Does the playing budget include managers and coaches?

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 150 - 159
January 4, 2024, 3:40pm
Guest User
Quoted from Wyberway

UTM[/

I also believe it’s time to put some faith in our homegrown talent. The way the youth team are performing, there can’t be a better time. This could be our ‘class of 92’

We are not Manchester United mate.  Their youths are a class or two above ours.

The position we are in we definitely do not want to be blooding 18 year old inexperienced youth players.
Reply: 151 - 159
Bristol Mariner
January 4, 2024, 4:07pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Yoda
Many more performances like that we are down Artell has serious questions to answer.

Have a rest you're now boring

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 159
RonMariner
January 4, 2024, 4:51pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,716
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from GrimPol

Clubs in the League 1 and League 2 operate within a Spending Constraint framework termed Salary Cost Management Protocol (SMCP). SCMP limits spending on player wages to a percentage of club Turnover. In League 1 clubs can spend a maximum of 60% of their turnover on wages - in League 2, the limit is 55%. There are no restrictions (in themselves) on the amount a club can lose or spend on transfer fees.
https://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/scmp.php Link for a longer explanation.

So does that mean the millions Lincoln lose each season is connected to transfer fees rather than wages?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 159
Wyberway
January 4, 2024, 5:59pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +43
Quoted from 123614

We are not Manchester United mate.  Their youths are a class or two above ours.

The position we are in we definitely do not want to be blooding 18 year old inexperienced youth players.

I didn’t say they would win the premier league. You’re right though, let’s just keep buying other teams cast offs, seems to be working
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 159
ginnywings
January 4, 2024, 6:19pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,142
Gold Stars: 548
I don't know why some are getting het up about the budget and saying it has all been spent and mostly wasted. Nobody on here knows what the budget is and how much of it has been used. The only insight we have is that Pettit alluded to one out one in at the forum, and we don't know if he was just keeping his cards close to his chest.

The facts are that we have 28 players on the books, two of whom are loans, and five of whom are youth team graduates who are unlikely to get much game time this season. That isn't a big squad by any means.

It's also worth noting that 18 of those players have contracts that end in June, with two of them having one year options, so even if what Pettit said was the case, there are plenty of players than can be told to start looking for a new club and placed on the transfer market in this window. There may be some financial inducements that have to be made, but it will be in their interests to seek another club now, rather than wait until the end of the season knowing they won't be getting a new deal here. I suspect those conversations will be happening right now.

So then we are just replacing one player contract for another incoming player, which won't have a massive financial impact on the club. The bigger problem will be finding those players, as the Jan window doesn't have the same amount of available players as the close season window, but there will be deals to be done, and 2,3, or 4 additions in the right places could make all the difference.

Let's see what happens in the next few weeks before we decide that all is lost.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 159
GrimPol
January 4, 2024, 7:03pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -671
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Just to address that link, there's not a single site on the internet that has any idea what all 24 clubs in L2 are spending on wages. Given the fact we were in for 3/4 players on deadline day, I see that as the fact that all the budget isn't spent. Partner that with the fact we know Paul Hurst was always quite tight with how he spent his budget and always left money for January. We was active every year he was in charge here in the January months. You are also misinterpreting what I said, it has to be 55% of football club income. Not 55% of all spends. We lost a million pound last year and will probably lose close to that if not more this year. JS and AP are propping the club up with funds as and when needed and every penny that is possible is going into the first team budget.

Just to address that link, there's not a single site on the internet that has any idea what all 24 clubs in L2 are spending on wages. The only way that statement can be right is if you actually know what Town and others Budget are and what % they allot to the Team Wages., hence know that these sites are rubbish. Do you know what Town and others' budgets are? I admit that I don't.

You are also misinterpreting what I said I used the term Turnover you used the term Income and you assumed that I and others understood that included £1miilion injection of funds. That is not income. Is this £1 million a loan or donation. If a loan, it has to be paid back.
And if there has been a £1million injection to cover losses with a probability of another £1 million loss, how long can this go on? How deep are the pockets of 1878?

I personally assume that the link knows more than me (or you for that matter) so if you study it you will see that Grimsby are 20th in Budget and 20th in the League. Accrington are 24th in the Budget and 10th in the League. Others are all over the place As January pans out we will know better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 159
January 4, 2024, 7:22pm
Guest User
Quoted from Wyberway

I didn’t say they would win the premier league. You’re right though, let’s just keep buying other teams cast offs, seems to be working

And neither did I.  You are missing the point.  I would think that most of the Premier Leagues youths are of a much higher standard than ours, and could quite rightly be played in their senior team.  I believe this has happened in the Premier League already.  

Looking at your final comment about buying other teams cast offs, that is exactly what the transfer window is about, teams allow players to leave, other teams buy them.

Reply: 157 - 159
Northbank Mariner
February 11, 2024, 9:30am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,464
Gold Stars: 171
Just thought this thread poignant after recent discussions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 159
davmariner
February 11, 2024, 9:36am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,935
Gold Stars: 79
Yes, he is. A Yorkie Holloway.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 159
16 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Is DA a snake oil salesman.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.