Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Is DA a snake oil salesman.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Is DA a snake oil salesman.

This thread currently has 15,091 views. Print
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
rancido
January 3, 2024, 7:49am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,655
Gold Stars: 100
Even the title of this thread is indicative of why JS is wary of this site.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 159
dapperz fun pub
January 3, 2024, 8:00am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,048
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from rancido
Even the title of this thread is indicative of why JS is wary of this site.

Several owners have had run ins with so called fans forums , didn’t the ex Blackpool chairman take someone to court ? If it’s not hate speech then what’s the problem ? We are excrement at the moment and people are saying it , we’ve just been embarrassed by illegitimate Walsall at home ffs
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 159
rancido
January 3, 2024, 8:19am

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Several owners have had run ins with so called fans forums , didn’t the ex Blackpool chairman take someone to court ? If it’s not hate speech then what’s the problem ? We are excrement at the moment and people are saying it , we’ve just been embarrassed by illegitimate Walsall at home ffs

It's not the criticism, if it's constructive , that is the point but the inference that JS is some kind of con man and also the phraseology used. JS and AP didn't have to step in when The Leech decided he wanted out . They are obviously town fans and felt that they could get the club on a more sustainable footing after years of mismanagement by a person who better fits the description " Snake Oil Salesman". This transition was always going to take time and this was pointed out by the new owners. In the same token DA also said it would take time with the squad and there would be highs and lows until he could enforce his principles and playing ethos into the players mindset. We fans , by nature, are impatient and our capitulation to Walsall will deeply hurt us but our progress back to being a competitive and well run club is a marathon, not a sprint.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 159
GrimRob
January 3, 2024, 9:35am

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,448
Gold Stars: 114
Quoted from rancido

It's not the criticism, if it's constructive , that is the point but the inference that JS is some kind of con man and also the phraseology used. JS and AP didn't have to step in when The Leech decided he wanted out . They are obviously town fans and felt that they could get the club on a more sustainable footing after years of mismanagement by a person who better fits the description " Snake Oil Salesman". This transition was always going to take time and this was pointed out by the new owners. In the same token DA also said it would take time with the squad and there would be highs and lows until he could enforce his principles and playing ethos into the players mindset. We fans , by nature, are impatient and our capitulation to Walsall will deeply hurt us but our progress back to being a competitive and well run club is a marathon, not a sprint.

One thing managers do not get is time. If we are relegated DA will be gone and all his plans will be distant memories. Bignott and Holloway both came with grandiose visions of sweeping changes, none of them saw the light of day. If we lose the next three games the table is going to look very uncomfortable and more people will be questioning why we are hellbent on going down this path.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 103 - 159
rancido
January 3, 2024, 9:53am

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

One thing managers do not get is time. If we are relegated DA will be gone and all his plans will be distant memories. Bignott and Holloway both came with grandiose visions of sweeping changes, none of them saw the light of day. If we lose the next three games the table is going to look very uncomfortable and more people will be questioning why we are hellbent on going down this path.

I get this but DA has inherited a squad not of his own making and has to make the best of it. I'm sure he knows enough about our squad by now to understand what they are capable of. I'm also sure he is intelligent and astute enough to temper his ideal game plan to accommodate our squads limitations. Much is made about our " playing from the back " approach but PH also used this system , as do many other teams. What the players have to learn is when to apply this and when a more direct approach is needed.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 159
GrimRob
January 3, 2024, 10:03am

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,448
Gold Stars: 114
Quoted from rancido

I get this but DA has inherited a squad not of his own making and has to make the best of it. I'm sure he knows enough about our squad by now to understand what they are capable of. I'm also sure he is intelligent and astute enough to temper his ideal game plan to accommodate our squads limitations. Much is made about our " playing from the back " approach but PH also used this system , as do many other teams. What the players have to learn is when to apply this and when a more direct approach is needed.

I really do hope he is pragmatic about it. In a way though Salford is going to give him something to cling onto for a while, plus the hope of new signings. By the time he abandons the plan we might be in real trouble. The players are human too and being constantly told they are crap and likely to be replaced is hardly going to get the best out of them. A lot of them are on long contracts (as that was the long-term plan of the previous manager backed by the board!) so we have to work mainly with what he has.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 105 - 159
lew chaterleys lover
January 3, 2024, 10:10am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,758
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from GrimRob

I get the impression you are not keen on DA, but his style of football will bring rewards if we can quickly get some steel into the side. As long as disaster doesn’t strike in terns of relegation then the future will look much better. Even the other day we played some brilliant football with players who looked less than average under Hurst.

I do agree though these longer term plans will be in limbo unless we make sure we stay up.
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 159
Maringer
January 3, 2024, 10:17am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,671
Gold Stars: 189
To be fair, it doesn't really matter what style of football you play if you are going to concede goals like we did against Walsall...

We've always liked to see good football at GTFC (we were really spoiled during the Buckley era), so I must admit I couldn't understand why so many in the ground around me the other day were chuntering so much about us trying to pass it out from the back - even before we fell behind!

I certainly agree we need to be able to mix it up a bit, however, as you can't pass it through midfield exclusively.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 159
HertsGTFC
January 3, 2024, 10:53am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,993
Gold Stars: 228

I get the impression you are not keen on DA, but his style of football will bring rewards if we can quickly get some steel into the side. As long as disaster doesn’t strike in terns of relegation then the future will look much better. Even the other day we played some brilliant football with players who looked less than average under Hurst.

I do agree though these longer term plans will be in limbo unless we make sure we stay up.

Some of those that played well in the first half on Monday looked much worse in the 2nd half then when they played for Hurst. We where drawing or losing games by relatively fine margins, during periods of the last 4 games we've embarrassed ourselves. That said though it was definitely time for Hurst to go.

I agree about getting steel in the side but am a little bit nervous that finding the experience with legs that we need in January will be difficult. We have 3 challenging games up next and based upon recent weeks it could get worse before it gets better.

I still don't think we'll get relegated but "philosophy" doesn't tend to keep you up.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 159
chaos33
January 3, 2024, 10:54am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,999
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from GrimRob

This is true, and I fear the reality of this given the next three fixtures.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 159
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Is DA a snake oil salesman.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.