Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Paul Hurst Sacked (MERGED)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Paul Hurst Sacked (MERGED)

This thread currently has 15,243 views. Print
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Tommy
October 28, 2023, 7:44pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Absolutely the right decision but can’t help thinking the owners have treated PH & CD poorly today.

The decision was clearly already made. The owners talk about taking the emotion out of decisions and waiting for the dust to settle, so I can only assume they would have been sacked even if we won today.

Surely they should have done it earlier in the week. Even if they had  given Paul & Chris the option of taking charge of the Doncaster game or not.

It just feels like they’ve used PH & CD today to avoid having a caretaker manager taking the match today.

And this finally puts to bed the idea that the owners won’t be ruthless.

I've got no issue with that. Football is a ruthless business.

I also remember a few years back Hurst (and Doig) being in charge for a home game against Cheltenham when it was clear they'd already agreed to go to Shrewsbury beforehand.

So swings and roundabouts.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 138
Tommy
October 28, 2023, 7:49pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Withnail
Sad day. I feel for Hurst. But as has been said countless times it was inevitable as the tide had turned against him and the results don't lie.

To those saying at least we won't go down now, I'd say the chance of us going down has actually increased at the present time.

Hopefully Hurst's replacement's the right one and he can get a tune out of a bunch he inherited rather than wanted and quickly plug any gaps.

My beer tonight is certainly not celebratory.

You're gonna have to talk me through your logic with that one?

Seems an absolutely crazy statement to make when we're on such a bad run, have looked awful for a while and PH's answer of how he's going to turn it around was that the law of averages would level up and we'd start to win a few games (incidentally this is something Stockwood seems to allude to in his interview tonight).

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 138
arryarryarry
October 28, 2023, 7:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,045
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Mappers
I get the Woods comparison , afterwards today I was frustrated as hell - we have better players than Doncaster , gave 100% yet still lost ; that one that roled along the line in front of us just summed up the last few weeks . Although today Hurst  fully reverted to type , rather than trying all these new systems and formations , it seems his luck ran out ; today I did feel we were quite unlucky .

No doubt the small few who disliked Hurst from the outset will be delighted at this outcome , whereas the few on here who know Paul personally will be gutted for their mate - no doubt he's a good one , seems a genuinely solid guy .

Did he move us forward ?
Yes and no - it depends if we retain our league status this season doesn't it really - we look far too good on paper & on the pitch but points win prizes and we are not picking any up , and seemingly dropping them when they are there for the taking .

We get Stockwood's & Pettit's first big test ,  making an appointment fully of their own ; something that may well show us the level of both their short and medium term ambition .

Thanks to Paul-  IMO he can hold his head up high and should be welcome back at BP anytime (not as manager for a 3rd stint).

Over to Andrew & Jason to make sure his reign doesn't become clouded by another relegation .

Did we, really?

I've thought we have looked poor for some time especially defensively.
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 138
arryarryarry
October 28, 2023, 7:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,045
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Maringer
As somebody else alluded to, it has looked similar to that Woods period where we just kept losing games, even when we hadn't been bad on the day.

The failings at the end of the transfer window is what has done for us. The squad is a few players short in areas and having just three strikers in the squad (one of whom doesn't really look like a striker), is a real error.

Said that to a mate just the other day. I was one of those who could see it in 2010 calling for Woods to be sacked well before the end of the season but unfortunately the board weren't listening.
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 138
October 28, 2023, 7:54pm
Guest User
Quoted from Vance Warner

What makes you think we have less chance of relegation? What are you expecting to change? Genuinely interested as for me the shortcomings of the current players will still be there. I don’t think the players have stopped playing for the manager at any point so what change are you expecting?

Also, there’s a shock in store for those who are expecting a decent replacement. An up and coming National league manager isn’t going to want to risk moving and going back down at the end of the season, blowing their likely only chance. Expect those who’ve been screaming for his head are going to go very quiet when the replacement is announced, or a short list leaked.

I think our best chance of surviving relegation was Hurst turning it around, as unlikely as that seemed recently.
I think we’re fûcked.
Reply: 94 - 138
GrimPol
October 28, 2023, 7:55pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -671
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from GollyGTFC

They had longer than they deserved, but sacking him at 5PM in the tunnel at an away game is no way to treat PH & CD.

There is no good time to fire anyone. People have to do the right thing for the right reasons. We are 4th from the bottom, not 4th from the top. That's a clue as to the situation that Town is in. We are in a relegation fight, and it won't be pretty. For those wringing their hands and faux crying, because you can't take it, the best thing for you is to go back to junior school and ask Miss to read you a fairy story whilst you suck your thumb on the rug.

There will be time lost in looking for a replacement, the new Manager will need time to assess the squad, make decisions which will be painful, but needed, and then dip into the January window to bolster the squad. Time isn't on our side, but the good thing it's happened now and not in December.
The question is a Paul Hurst a decent man, of course, he is a thoroughly decent man.
Was he a good manager, I just think he was out of his depth and stuck in a groove. I wish him well for the future, but now my mind is on Grimsby Town and the now. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 138
GrimPol
October 28, 2023, 8:01pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -671
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from 140381

Also, there’s a shock in store for those who are expecting a decent replacement. An up and coming National league manager isn’t going to want to risk moving and going back down at the end of the season, blowing their likely only chance. Expect those who’ve been screaming for his head are going to go very quiet when the replacement is announced, or a short list leaked.

I think our best chance of surviving relegation was Hurst turning it around, as unlikely as that seemed recently.
I think we’re fûcked.

Colchester sacked their manager a few days before they came to Blundell Park. A rubbish team with no manager hence rudderless. A dead cert 3-pointer. We lost They have now have 6 points, we have have 0.  I rest my case
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 138
October 28, 2023, 8:09pm
Guest User
Quoted from GrimPol

Colchester sacked their manager a few days before they came to Blundell Park. A rubbish team with no manager hence rudderless. A dead cert 3-pointer. We lost They have now have 6 points, we have have 0.  I rest my case

Er, we aren’t Colchester?

I stick by my comments.
Reply: 97 - 138
Wiley2405
October 28, 2023, 8:11pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +663
Gold Stars: 20
Quoted from 140381

I think we’re fûcked.

Completely disagree, we are bad but I think we are good enough even now to about stay up and there’s another transfer window coming up shortly where a new manager can bring in their own players. It’s a good set up, seems like decent owners and a chance to be much better than our current position so I think we can get someone decent in.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 138
October 28, 2023, 8:13pm
Guest User
Quoted from Wiley2405

Completely disagree, we are bad but I think we are good enough even now to about stay up and there’s another transfer window coming up shortly where a new manager can bring in their own players. It’s a good set up, seems like decent owners and a chance to be much better than our current position so I think we can get someone decent in.

We’ll see…
Reply: 99 - 138
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Paul Hurst Sacked (MERGED)

Thread Rating

There have been 1 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.