Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Paul Hurst Sacked (MERGED)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Paul Hurst Sacked (MERGED)

This thread currently has 15,269 views. Print
14 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Withnail
October 28, 2023, 10:14pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from Tommy

You're gonna have to talk me through your logic with that one?

Seems an absolutely crazy statement to make when we're on such a bad run, have looked awful for a while and PH's answer of how he's going to turn it around was that the law of averages would level up and we'd start to win a few games (incidentally this is something Stockwood seems to allude to in his interview tonight).

So, what I was getting at Tommy, when I said at this present time is right here, right now.

While some will argue whoever steps in temporary can’t do any worse – and I genuinely hope they succeed - but we’ve currently got no manager, or assistant manager. Hopefully we’ve appointed a new management team by the time the next league game rolls around on 11 November, they make an instant, positive impact and hit the ground running. Then we will be in a better place.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 138
hampshiremariner
October 28, 2023, 10:23pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,050
Gold Stars: 35
Sad, but inevitable, news. Paul Hurst rescued this club from the mire and should be thanked and respected. I don’t know what has caused the recent run of poor results but I think it is right to intervene before the situation is irretrievable. The players were not responding to Paul’s tactics/selection and it’s time to change the manager. Regretful. I hope we get the right person to turn around the results. It couldn’t go on the way it was.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 138
RonMariner
October 28, 2023, 11:02pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,731
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Davec
Surely they would not have been fired in the tunnell in front of everyone walking past and gawping? I find it hard to believe Stockwood Pettit and Cook would do that to people they clearly respect.

I assume they would have asked Doncaster if they had a private room they could use and they would have done it in there with dignity and respect?

I don't think they would have jogged down the tunnel after them "Paul, Chris, wait up, I need a word... btw you're both sacked"

I think it is more likely that they had already told him a few days ago, but  delayed the announcement until after the game. So he prepared the team for this match, but there is now a two week gap before the next league game, by which time a new manager might be in place.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 138
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 28, 2023, 11:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from RonMariner

I think it is more likely that they had already told him a few days ago, but  delayed the announcement until after the game. So he prepared the team for this match, but there is now a two week gap before the next league game, by which time a new manager might be in place.  

I thought the way he spoke after the  Colchester game that the decision had already been made and he knew, it was simply the way he phrased his comments about Jason and Andrew and how they must do what’s right for the club. All academic now and we move on and his failures this season don’t merit so called fans slagging him off. He always did his best, he’s failed to achieve this season he’s lost his job as a result no more abuse required.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 138
forza ivano
October 28, 2023, 11:13pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,209
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from LH
It’s the right decision but I do find how they’ve done it very odd. “It’s not a snap decision” but they’ve waited to see how we did today before making the choice. Something else about the data saying the performances were OK. I think data needs utilising myself but I can’t think of a reliable metric that you can use to determine how good ‘performances’ are.

Huge appointment coming up but the timing is OK to allow them to bed in until January.

i think it may actually be consistent with their idea of running the club like a business. They see the stats (& I'm guessing) almost real time. Things aren't going well 4-6 weeks ago;  the data isn't too bad, but could be improved. Like in any business the manager is called in because things arent going to plan. He's given a target to improve the stats figures (& presumably the points/form totals) ,4-6 weeks later and we are flat lining. No improvement in the data or the points. he's given a final warning and he's failed again ,so he's out
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 138
SheepGTFC
October 29, 2023, 1:04am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +280
Gold Stars: 6
I am sad Paul has been sacked, nice guy. Great memories. Doubt he'll ever manage us again unless something crazy happens. However, I do feel it is the right thing to do for the club. We need fresh ideas and a new direction.

I was hopeful for playoffs at the start of the season, but it looks like we've gone backwards rather than forwards
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 138
GibMariner
October 29, 2023, 2:20am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -953
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from forza ivano

i think it may actually be consistent with their idea of running the club like a business. They see the stats (& I'm guessing) almost real time. Things aren't going well 4-6 weeks ago;  the data isn't too bad, but could be improved. Like in any business the manager is called in because things arent going to plan. He's given a target to improve the stats figures (& presumably the points/form totals) ,4-6 weeks later and we are flat lining. No improvement in the data or the points. he's given a final warning and he's failed again ,so he's out

Data again 😊😊😊 should have gone ages ago on that basis.
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 138
GibMariner
October 29, 2023, 2:39am
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from Davec
Surely they would not have been fired in the tunnell in front of everyone walking past and gawping? I find it hard to believe Stockwood Pettit and Cook would do that to people they clearly respect.

I assume they would have asked Doncaster if they had a private room they could use and they would have done it in there with dignity and respect?

I don't think they would have jogged down the tunnel after them "Paul, Chris, wait up, I need a word... btw you're both sacked"

Thought they wanted to avoid emotive decision making and agreed not to meet after games.
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 138
GibMariner
October 29, 2023, 2:46am
Lager Top Drinker
Maybe Paul was getting the best out of the players and we don’t see the bounce you always hope for with a change of manager. Me thinks Jan window is very important right now.
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 138
chaos33
October 29, 2023, 2:52am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from GibMariner

Thought they wanted to avoid emotive decision making and agreed not to meet after games.

I think that this doesn’t really take account of the bigger picture and their planning for various scenarios. The thinking and decision making would have been done over time, and prior to yesterday’s game. There’s no way anyone could claim it was a reactionary response and an emotive decision is there. The decision to make the change if there was another defeat would have been thought through and deliberated really forensically. Let’s be fair to them.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 138
14 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Paul Hurst Sacked (MERGED)

Thread Rating

There have been 1 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.