Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Paul Hurst Sacked (MERGED)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Paul Hurst Sacked (MERGED)

This thread currently has 15,266 views. Print
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
October 28, 2023, 8:20pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,420
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from 140381

Also, there’s a shock in store for those who are expecting a decent replacement. An up and coming National league manager isn’t going to want to risk moving and going back down at the end of the season, blowing their likely only chance. Expect those who’ve been screaming for his head are going to go very quiet when the replacement is announced, or a short list leaked.

I think our best chance of surviving relegation was Hurst turning it around, as unlikely as that seemed recently.
I think we’re fûcked.

There are 72 league clubs getting a job at one of them is hitting the jackpot for almost everyone in the divisions below ours. Only 3 months of the season gone, plenty of time to make a name for yourself. Anyone who doesn't want to come because they are worried about the consequences of relegation need not apply.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 100 - 138
chaos33
October 28, 2023, 8:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Agree. There’s every reason to think we won’t or shouldn’t be relegated. We’ve got a more than competitive resource and a huge fan base for this level. I think we have a cohort of players who aren’t up to it, although they are few in number in the overall squad. We have time, we have a January window and we have fantastic owners. We need someone who is confident and competent and clear thinking. Doesn’t matter where he comes from or where he’s been. We need someone to come in and take hold of it. Relish it.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 138
rancido
October 28, 2023, 8:25pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from realist
I am going to celebrate tonight because it means we have a better chance of avoiding relegation, and it is the last link with Fenty gone

I would never celebrate the sacking of somebody who did his best to succeed. At the end his best wasn't good enough to convince the board that he could pull things around. PH has given us some great memories,  especially last seasons achievements but it's time for another manager to take us to the next level. Thank you Paul and good luck for the future.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 138
AndyGTFC
October 28, 2023, 8:26pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
Gold Stars: 5
It was the right time, shame but most managers end up getting the sack at some point. Doesn't take much away from the highs we had with him.

We can't afford to go down yet again, you have to be abysmal to be one of the worst two teams in the EFL and it would be a bit of a joke if it happened to us for a third time, because we're certainly not doing what we did last time again.

So with that being said, we NEED to get this appointment right.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 138
October 28, 2023, 8:28pm
Guest User
Quoted from GrimRob

There are 72 league clubs getting a job at one of them is hitting the jackpot for almost everyone in the divisions below ours. Only 3 months of the season gone, plenty of time to make a name for yourself. Anyone who doesn't want to come because they are worried about the consequences of relegation need not apply.

We have an abysmal record of appointing managers. In my time as a fan we’ve had two who got us promoted. We’re also now seen as a non league yo-yo team. And we’re circling the drain yet again. I have a lot of time for the owners, couldn’t wish for better. But at the moment, I think this is a task beyond even them.

Sorry, can’t join in the relief and optimism here. We’re in serious trouble.

I’m not going to change my mind. Have a good evening all.
Reply: 104 - 138
Davec
October 28, 2023, 8:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
Surely they would not have been fired in the tunnell in front of everyone walking past and gawping? I find it hard to believe Stockwood Pettit and Cook would do that to people they clearly respect.

I assume they would have asked Doncaster if they had a private room they could use and they would have done it in there with dignity and respect?

I don't think they would have jogged down the tunnel after them "Paul, Chris, wait up, I need a word... btw you're both sacked"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 138
mariner91
October 28, 2023, 8:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,666
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from 140381

Also, there’s a shock in store for those who are expecting a decent replacement. An up and coming National league manager isn’t going to want to risk moving and going back down at the end of the season, blowing their likely only chance. Expect those who’ve been screaming for his head are going to go very quiet when the replacement is announced, or a short list leaked.

I think our best chance of surviving relegation was Hurst turning it around, as unlikely as that seemed recently.
I think we’re fûcked.

I think that’s nonsense. If our best chance of staying up was sticking with the man who had basically said four days ago that he was out of ideas then we’re doomed.

But we’re not. There’s plenty of time for fresh ideas and a proper assessment of what’s needed in the January transfer window. I don’t doubt the board will back the new manager in the window too. In 2020 we nearly stayed up with a strike force of LJL and Stefan Payne plus a load of other no hopers. Although this squad is flawed, we have better players now than we did then.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 138
mariner91
October 28, 2023, 8:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,666
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from 140381

We have an abysmal record of appointing managers. In my time as a fan we’ve had two who got us promoted. We’re also now seen as a non league yo-yo team. And we’re circling the drain yet again. I have a lot of time for the owners, couldn’t wish for better. But at the moment, I think this is a task beyond even them.

Sorry, can’t join in the relief and optimism here. We’re in serious trouble.

I’m not going to change my mind. Have a good evening all.

John Fenty has an abysmal record of appointing managers. This board has never done it. They’re no mugs and they’ll be willing to get advice from others with more expertise because they’re not all ego like JSF was.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 138
Mappers
October 28, 2023, 9:31pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,340
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from arryarryarry

Did we, really?

I've thought we have looked poor for some time especially defensively.

I thought we looked good today , Wimbledon , Salford , Notts, Bradford and Gillingham -- maybe 6 or 7 out of 15 isn't enough though + we looked awful against Barrow , who should have beaten us at a canter really ; Colchester looked awful really and we should have beaten them -- setup like today and we probably would have tbf .

The majority of league 2 is poor isn't it ?
A few good teams , but Steve Evans has walked it a good few seasons so it can't be some sort of mystical puzzle surely .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 138
Mappers
October 28, 2023, 9:35pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,340
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from Tommy

I've got no issue with that. Football is a ruthless business.

I also remember a few years back Hurst (and Doig) being in charge for a home game against Cheltenham when it was clear they'd already agreed to go to Shrewsbury beforehand.

So swings and roundabouts.

Well said Tommy , well said .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 138
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Paul Hurst Sacked (MERGED)

Thread Rating

There have been 1 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.