Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back  (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just back  (merged)

This thread currently has 12,131 views. Print
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
October 4, 2023, 1:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236

What a fantastic post, which eloquently puts the details of what some of us feel in a more composed way.

I was so staggered by last night's ineptitude I am still irritated big style but I agree with all of that analysis.

I watched last night and came to the conclusion that we seem tactically underprepared and physically over prepared. I know that’s a bit of a generalisation but we didn’t seem to know that the best way to stop the opposition playing is to keep the ball off them.
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 168
lew chaterleys lover
October 4, 2023, 2:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,759
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I watched last night and came to the conclusion that we seem tactically underprepared and physically over prepared. I know that’s a bit of a generalisation but we didn’t seem to know that the best way to stop the opposition playing is to keep the ball off them.

They look shattered to me. Like I said earlier they are like running through treacle and it must be absolutely draining to run and run with seemingly no idea what they are trying to do; I don't understand how he has bought seemingly better technical players and turned them into this.

The lack of any urgency is absolutely frightening.  I'm not sure what is going on but clearly things cannot be right behind the scenes. It could be a simple case of this group just not gelling, but we will never know.
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 168
tashee69
October 4, 2023, 2:10pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +970
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Bigdog
In defence of Efete's defending capabilities. He's been played on the wrong side for the past two matches and has been more solid than Mullarkey. Swindon and Barrow were more dangerous attacking our right side. ..

Cannot comment about the Swindon game but in the first half last night, Kahn just was not helping Mullarkey out. His tracking back was virtually non existent. While it is nice to see a more attack minded player, we also need him to do the basics to help out at the back.

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 168
diehardmariner
October 4, 2023, 2:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,704
Gold Stars: 543
Was a really interesting comment from Hurst post game that went along the lines of "They're lacking confidence, which I don't get because we've told them they're playing well even if results haven't gone our way".

Now, you can interpret comments in countless ways and let them support any existing argument you have.  But you have to wonder if the lack of confidence from the players is from within themselves, which is largely understandable on a bad run of form, or a general lack of confidence in what they're doing.

Soon as I heard it I thought it was a bit of an odd thing to say.  He seemed incredibly frustrated with them especially around their confidence, overall as downbeat as I've heard him for a long time.
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 168
Bigdog
October 4, 2023, 2:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from tashee69

Cannot comment about the Swindon game but in the first half last night, Kahn just was not helping Mullarkey out. His tracking back was virtually non existent. While it is nice to see a more attack minded player, we also need him to do the basics to help out at the back.

A large element of truth in that.

Mullarkey has greater positional awareness than Efete, but is more prone to getting done in a one v one situation. Efete has greater energy down the flank. We've looked static this season as a whole. With Maher returning, it may be time to rest Mullarkey and give Efete a run of games. See if his presence and energy fires us up a bit. He was near the top of League Two defender stats for goals and assists last season, I don't think Mullarkey can do that. Glennon had decent stats too.. maybe he can benefit from Maher's return on the left side of defence, and if not, go with Amos. We had a plan at the start of the season to start with Hunt and Conteh, why not go with that too? Because whatever confused mess we're doing at the minute, it isn't working. Some players will need a bit of game time to get up to speed and gain confidence, stick with them no matter what, it's a 46 game season, stop changing the starting line up, and build a method of play. Khan is away, so play a diamond and try and squeeze in Eisa, Gnahoua or Clifton at the tip and play two up top. We can't be better than every player from every team in every position, so let's settle down and back players for a few games rather than them being thrown in and expected to perform having not played for a month or two.. Hurst is going to have to commit to his favoured formation and starting eleven very soon and balance up us offering a threat rather than wholly concentrating on counteracting the opposition..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 168
acko338
October 4, 2023, 2:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
We have problems with any team that plays wide pacey wingers.

Add in that Barrow generally moved quicker, passed in front of players to run onto, and always looked to be making themselves free to receive, so we kept chasing after the ball.

Rose can win every header, but lacks close support for his knockdowns or passes.

Progress made but training needed for positioning and running off the ball.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 168
forza ivano
October 4, 2023, 2:48pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from sam gy
It's old ground now the Hunt debate, but he just doesn't seem to be imposing himself on games. Hunt has started more games than Andrews, but can anyone honestly say he's been as good??

Andrews was really good last night, i know he's not our player, but doesn't mean he cant be in the future..

their no.8 (spence?) looked like Hunt n seemed to play like him, in the same position as well. the difference between his and Hunt's effectiveness, was i'm afraid to say, like night and day
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 168
Bigdog
October 4, 2023, 3:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from forza ivano

their no.8 (spence?) looked like Hunt n seemed to play like him, in the same position as well. the difference between his and Hunt's effectiveness, was i'm afraid to say, like night and day

For perspective, Spence is a regular starter for Barrow having played ten League games this season. Hunt has played 60 minutes since being dropped after two games in mid-August. It's like people are picturing Alex Hunt playing shite even when he's not playing. Give the lad a break FFS..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 168
MuddyWaters
October 4, 2023, 3:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Bigdog

For perspective, Spence is a regular starter for Barrow having played ten League games this season. Hunt has played 60 minutes since being dropped after two games in mid-August. It's like people are picturing Alex Hunt playing shite even when he's not playing. Give the lad a break FFS..

Absolutely this. He played Saturday for the first time since Notts away, got 70 minutes then subbed then training on his own Tuesday night.

His confidence must be shot to shite.
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 168
Rodley Mariner
October 4, 2023, 3:19pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 178
Khan didn't offer Efete much support against Crawley but it's not his game is it? We malign Hurst for picking wingers primarily because they do their defensive duty and then when he picks more attacking wingers we complain they're not doing their defensive duties.

I don't know what to think about last night. We really needed 3 points and we got them but I felt more concerned afterwards than I have after any other game this season. When I think about the games we've won at home this season (against Salford and Gillingham) we were so aggressive off the ball and really hard to play against but Barrow sprayed it around seemingly at will last night.

Maher getting injured really seems to have unbalanced the defence so hopefully he's fit for Saturday and that settles down. It's then a case of balancing having enough bodies in midfield to control the ball whilst having enough attacking threat in front of them to actually create with the possession.

4-3-3 with Wilson and Eisa next to Rose? Think opponents would really target our full backs as Mullarkey suddenly seems vulnerable and our best left back is right footed. 4-4-2 sounds great but do we have a midfield 2 who can get hold of the ball enough? Maybe the lopsided version we used in 2016 where we almost had three centre mids and one winger?  copulated if I know but we can't play like we did last night again and expect to get anything.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 168
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back  (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.