Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back  (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
1mickylyons, 99agrant, acko338, AdamHaddock, AncientExiledMariner, AndyDarloFC, aussiej, AussieMariner, Badger57, Balthazar Bullitt, Barrattstander, bartgtfc, bawarmy, Bawmariner, bedders78, BeijingMariner, Belfast Town, benny1618, Big Jake, bigbadmarinerbob, Bigboy, biggleswademariner, Bignic69, Bigwinn1975, BobbyCummingsTackle, Brazilnut, BrMarin, BruceytheFish, Brummie Codfather, BulkyMariner, C0cky, Cambs Mariner, cannylad65, Captaincod, cardiffmariner, Caveman, Cayman_mariner, chelseacity, chipsandgravy, Chrisblor, Civvy at last, cjbill, coddy60, CodHead, Craigy01, Crumbcrusader, crusty ole pie, Crystal, CSLM, DaleGTFC, Davec, davmariner, DB, denni266, devs, Dick Johnson, Doctor Sanchez, drbell, Epworth Mariner, essexexile, EvilFish, FishOutOfWater, forza ivano, friskneymariner, Gaffer58, Gainsbro_Mariner, GarforthMariner, GhostDan, Gilbertswand, Gill, gobby, GollyGTFC, Grant Baily, Grantley, grassbandits, GrimExile, GrimRob, Grimsby Is Not In Yorkshire, grimsby pete, Grimsby69, grimsbybrown, gtfc_chris, Gtfcalex, Gyranger.2, gytone, Hacksaw jimmy cook, Hagrid, Harbour Rat, HarrogateMariner, Heisenberg, HertsGTFC, Heswall Mariner, HistonMariner, HoratiusEberlin, horsforthmariner, IlkleyMariner, immariner, ivanosandwich, Jackal, Jackie Lewis, jamesgtfc, jimgtfc, johnbhoy, jonnyboy82, jungleland, kafunanapar140909, kevikov, krispy84, Les Brechin, Limerick Mariner, Lincspoacher, LivvosRomanNose, LN8Mariner, LondonMariner43, louth_in_the_south, lukeo, MaccasBoots, Madeleymariner, majestic tees, ManBurning, Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie, Mappers, mariner chopper, Mariner John, Mariner Timsky, Mariner16, Mariner56, mariner91, Mariner93er, Mariner_501, Marinerdan, MarinerDevil, marinerjase, MarinerMal, MarinerRob, Maringer, Mark GTFC, Martz86, Matthew, Mayaman, Meza, Mighty_Mariner, mike502, Mikey_345, Milky Bar Kid, mimma, Misterton Mariner, MNH1972, Morph2000, mr b, Nadfink, Neilo83, Nelly GTFC, neverapen, nigelh, nomorefourfiveone, norfuk mariner, Northbank Mariner, NorthseaMariner, Northy81, out of town, OZMAN, PaceyMariner, Parkooo, paulmblythe, Peeler_Crab, percentagefootball, Phisch, pontoonlew, Poojah, Posh Harry, Quagmire, rancido, richiedk, RichMariner, Roast Em Bobby, Rob_in_Grimsby, Rodley Mariner, Running like emson, Ruston AT, sam gy, Saudimariner, ScottyUTM, scott, shaun the sheep, Sigone, skegmariner, smokin joe, Southwark Mariner, Spatchcock, Spidey, spikelias, SpiritOf98, SteffiMariner, stevieh, Stew0_0, Stranger in the Park, supertown, Sussexmariner, sutton mariner, SWMariner, tanga_the_indestructible, Tavistock Mariner, Teesknees, The Dogs Testicles, The_Laughing_Mariner, thefish, Theimperialcoroner, thespiffing, thevera, tintowner, Tinymariner, Tom13, TonySmith, Total Hawsehole, Town Monkey, Townforlife, TownSNAFU5, TwoLeftFeet, UTMAdinfinitum, Vigo_Mariner, vinno69, WayneBurnettsJockstrap, Wedidntdidwe, Wemble1998, wembley_double98, WesternMariner, WetFlannel, Withnail, wizbit, WLMariner, wormy, WOZOFGRIMSBY, wuffing, Zmariner and 1175 Guests

Just back  (merged)

This thread currently has 12,123 views. Print
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
barralad
October 4, 2023, 9:12am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
Some really good analysis in this whole thread in my opinion. I know Clifton has had some criticism but thought he instantly gave them something to think about when he came on.  

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 168
MuddyWaters
October 4, 2023, 9:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from barralad
Some really good analysis in this whole thread in my opinion. I know Clifton has had some criticism but thought he instantly gave them something to think about when he came on.  

He did but, once again, our midfield seems to be about endeavour not creativity. Given the forwards we have signed, surely we need some quality?
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 168
diehardmariner
October 4, 2023, 9:27am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,701
Gold Stars: 542
That was pig ugly, but it's 3 points.  

Lot of good points raised above.  

Didn't like the fact we went with an extra defender.  I can see Hurst's thinking but it just ultimately leads to more pressure.  I think all in bringing Maher onto the pitch made us stronger across that back 5 but at the same time more panicked, as with when we went to a back 5 at Wrexham there seems a lack of ownership, accountability and understanding of who is doing what.    The change did give us more of an outlet with two up top but nothing to support them.  Wilson though definitely gives you the option of putting it into corners rather than hoping Rose can win the flick-on and then get on the end of it.

How isolated was Rose though?  I mean the gap was 30 yards at times.  No striker in the world is making much out of that.

Probably not a popular opinion but I thought Conteh was largely anonymous.  My mate said during the game that in that role there's perhaps an argument that you don't want him to noticed and rather just go about his business quietly, which is a fair point but as one of our better players I want him to be putting his stamp on the game.  Derek Niven, James Hunt and Stacy Coldicott are those type of unsung heroes who anchor the midfield.  I expect Conteh to be dominating and dictating play.  His anonymity was only heightened by the booking where he becomes terrified of putting a foot in.

Don't want to go in on anyone but the point about Pyke and laziness is sadly one I'm nodding to.  I thought he looked incredibly lethargic when he came on and on multiple occasions he was watching play from 10 yards away without making a move towards it.  He needs to do more.

Not seen it back but never a penalty, arguably a bit of justice for Barrow that it was such a urine poor one.  Not sure why Holohan wasn't on it but we got away with it.

Delighted to get the win but we won't be able to play that poorly and pick up points very often.
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 168
diehardmariner
October 4, 2023, 9:28am
Vodka Drinker
Just to add, the crowd was so flat last night.  Can't remember the last time it was like that.

Not a criticism either because they got nothing back in return to get them going.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 168
October 4, 2023, 9:31am
Guest User

That is exactly my summation.

The players just don't know what they are trying to achieve. There HAS to be some game plan, in the sense of attacking intent, but we have got none, absolutely no intention of threatening the goal.

Pontoon fans have seen a grand total of 2 goals all season,  and you can count the times we have been in the box at that end on a metaphorical hand.

Really!  I seem to remember us scoring twice last night!

Reply: 54 - 168
lew chaterleys lover
October 4, 2023, 9:38am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,759
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from 123614

Really!  I seem to remember us scoring twice last night!

Can't you ever see the bigger picture?
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 168
forza ivano
October 4, 2023, 9:41am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from Mikey_345
Well, footballs a weird game isn’t it?! Not sure why I actually like this sport at times 😂

Played better this season and not got owt, much the second best tonight but you take it.

The football has to improve but hoping a win that stops the poor run of results and holding out to not lose yet more points from a winning position can be a catalyst to kick on.

Great finish from Rose and a great ball in from Michee, for all the criticism of him from me he’s had two good solid games on the wrong side. Wilson is giving me Solskjaer vibes of late, must be tempting to start him Saturday.

For a time there it looked like it was only going to end one way, they had a ridiculous amount of pressure in the second half and a change was needed.

Hurst has drawn deserved criticism at times for in game management but thought he got it spot on tonight. Many screaming the change was negative but I though going for 3/5 at the back and matching them up, which also allowed us to get two up top probably meant we got three points from a game where it looked like 0 points was quite likely.

Really want to see Rose/Wilson start together Saturday. That brings problems with where you lose the other player from but reckon 442 might be the best shot and accept the consequences of having less in midfield for the forward threat.

Special mentions to Rodgers, Holohan and Andrews tonight who I thought were all excellent. I am getting alittle worried about Waterfall, great when we’re deep and compact and will always put everything on the line… but showing a few signs he’s struggling with a higher line and more possession. I’m not used to us looking so nervy defensively with him on the pitch, usually so assured.

Agree mikey - those were my stand out players, although Andrews got better the longer the game went on, Mullarkey impressed me again, n Michee had another decent, solid game filling in at left back.
On the Wilson / Rose up front , noticeable that when he came on at Swindon he was playing wideish on the RHS, almost half up front n half midfield. Course you do then have the problem as to who to leave out...
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 168
October 4, 2023, 9:42am
Guest User

Can't you ever see the bigger picture?

When someone posts something that is obviously not true, then I will let them know.

Reply: 57 - 168
forza ivano
October 4, 2023, 9:46am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from Heisenberg

I’m trying to work out what Amos has done wrong, personally.

because he's not as athletic or strong as michee, and not as good a defender imho (witness Swindon away last season) He's a good div 5 player, but not good enough if we are aiming to be a top div 4 team

ps for all this stuff about Buckley and playing styles etc. I vividly remember on a number of occasions when we were on a bad run Sir Alan would shut up shop, grind out a 0-0 and build from there

pps re Wilso could we play 3-5-2 Mullarkey, Rodgers & Maher as back 3 - clifton & efete as wing backs along with Conteh, Holohan/Andrews & Eisa with Wilson & Rose up top?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 168
diehardmariner
October 4, 2023, 9:56am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

On the Wilson / Rose up front , noticeable that when he came on at Swindon he was playing wideish on the RHS, almost half up front n half midfield. Course you do then have the problem as to who to leave out...

Wilson and Eisa either side of Rose?  Don't think Khan would have done a lot wrong to drop out but then I don't think he's done a lot to justify his place either.  Whereas the aforementioned 3 have.  

Keeps the option of that 3-man midfield that we seem to need to avoid getting overrun.  My only concern with it would be that it's too easy for it becoming a 4-5-1 with very limited support for the lone striker.
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 168
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back  (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.