Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back  (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just back  (merged)

This thread currently has 11,974 views. Print
17 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
HerveJosse
October 5, 2023, 8:52pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from headingly_mariner

He massively changed the game by bringing Maher on and changing the shape. We were drowning until that happened and it probably won us the game.

We were still drowning after that. The only thing that saved us was their shooting was poor and they had nobody to put the ball in the back of the net.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 168
lew chaterleys lover
October 5, 2023, 9:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,732
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Maringer
You're anti-data?

Crikey, that's a bit odd. Data is nothing more than measurable information, so I can't really see why anybody would be against it.

More accurate to say that you are against the misuse of data. Sometimes this is deliberate (think sleazy politicians and people with an agenda), sometimes inadvertent because lots of people don't understand how to analyse it properly. I remember doing a statistics module at University (long time ago now!) and it was quite interesting to find how easy it is to misinterpret data. It was also flipping boring, but that's another matter.

The sports science data you're talking about is just measurable information. How Hurst and his staff interpret it is what is important and, given they've got sports science experts working with them, you'd expect them to be able to analyse it correctly.

Numbers of interceptions and xG might not mean something over one or two games, but they can't help but show a trend over the course of a season (or seasons).

Railing against something which could be useful as just part of the jigsaw is a strange stance to take.

I don't think it is odd at all.

You can analyse football data till the cows come home but you won't necessarily come to the correct conclusion as there are too many moving and contradictory parts.

I am fully aware that data analysts will have tools at their disposal to try to bring all the nuances into play, but it won't work.

All the data analysts at each club won't come to the same conclusion about a player under consideration or why a team isn't scoring enough will they, so which one is right?

Is it the most experienced analyst, or the one who has played the game, or is it the one with most qualifications?

The teams that get promoted will be the ones who have a manager who adapts to what he has got, players that are motivated and full of desire and gel together. They will have a bit of luck and some players will have fantastic seasons which completely defy previous stats.

Private Message
Reply: 141 - 168
Maringer
October 5, 2023, 9:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,564
Gold Stars: 185
As I said, part of the jigsaw.

If you think Hurst is going to completely forget everything he's learned in more than a decade of management, because we now have access to sports science and data analysis, I think you're mistaken.

Unless you think Hurst isn't able to disagree with any of his coaching staff? I think that's fundamentally what you're imagining. "Computer says no"!

Why would Hurst not be able to disagree with something which the data analyst suggests yet still be free to disagree with the views of one of the other coaches?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 168
Mappers
October 5, 2023, 9:52pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,341
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from headingly_mariner

He massively changed the game by bringing Maher on and changing the shape. We were drowning until that happened and it probably won us the game.

I was more referring to the season as a whole so far  - Hunt in and out , left backs bombed after 10 games  , playing square pegs in round holes , formation changes ; rather than sticking to his tried and trusted or the formation he started the season with .

I like Maher , but even with him on we were barely head above water ; they looked like scoring near the end virtually every time the ball went into the box.

Wilson and Maher were good changes though , give him credit for that . Let's hope for a decent performance and result Saturday .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 168
mariner91
October 5, 2023, 10:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,666
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from ginnywings

I keep reading that we have no discernible style of play. Yeah, Hurst says to them, "grab a shirt, any shirt you want, first eleven to get one plays, and just go out there and do what you want". As if we don't spend all week training and studying the opposition.

We don’t have a discernible style of play. We have played a quarter of our league games, can you tell us what our aim is when attacking? Because as far as I can see it’s “get it to Eisa and hope for the best”. I think it’s disingenuous to say that just because others are saying we don’t have an obvious plan or pattern of play that they must therefore be claiming they Hurst sends them out without a plan. But the plan doesn’t seem to work very smoothly. We have had a high press at times but not consistently and beyond that we’re mostly reliant on Eisa doing something or the opposition losing concentration/making an error. We create precious few good opportunities ourselves, even when on top, and the quality of our final ball is poor more often than not.  

Eleven league games in is relatively early still but given the whole point of getting the players signed early in the window is to maximise your time in training with them, it’s very disconcerting that we looked like a team that had been cobbled together on the night on Tuesday. There’s no way Barrow will have a bigger budget than us and Wild only took over there 10 days before our play off final when he wouldn’t have known the squad or players etc. So why do they look so much better coached than we do?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 168
AncientExiledMariner
October 6, 2023, 12:28am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.51
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from mariner91

We don’t have a discernible style of play. We have played a quarter of our league games, can you tell us what our aim is when attacking? Because as far as I can see it’s “get it to Eisa and hope for the best”. I think it’s disingenuous to say that just because others are saying we don’t have an obvious plan or pattern of play that they must therefore be claiming they Hurst sends them out without a plan. But the plan doesn’t seem to work very smoothly. We have had a high press at times but not consistently and beyond that we’re mostly reliant on Eisa doing something or the opposition losing concentration/making an error. We create precious few good opportunities ourselves, even when on top, and the quality of our final ball is poor more often than not.  

Eleven league games in is relatively early still but given the whole point of getting the players signed early in the window is to maximise your time in training with them, it’s very disconcerting that we looked like a team that had been cobbled together on the night on Tuesday. There’s no way Barrow will have a bigger budget than us and Wild only took over there 10 days before our play off final when he wouldn’t have known the squad or players etc. So why do they look so much better coached than we do?

We dominated many games. Parts of Bradford and Crawley for example.

You cannot just take our worst game and say we look dreadful and Barrows best performance. Teams over the course of the season will have good games and bad games. It is very rare a team dominates a full match. You will have your moments in them and it's about capitalising and defending when the other team pull it together.

Our team is going for a more possession style type of football (minus Barrow), and that brings with it new challenges. Previously you're not possession, you defend more and counter quick. In possession, you probe and build up, you bring other players in. You need to be more composed and work your way out of danger to take pressure off. It's a whole different style of play, and players that haven't always played in that style are probably still adjusting to decision making and approach in these games, and Hurst/Doig will be feeding back to them where they need to improve in some elements of these. It's going to take time until this is natural, and how you execute the plan will be different based on whether you're at home and confident or away. Whether you're winning, drawing or losing. You cannot teach someone to not panic, or to run your balderdash off regardless, they are behaviours, but you can teach people how to choose the right options (going wide, going forwards, going back under pressure).

Eisa is clearly a confident player and players may be tempted to pass to him because of that, but if they only do that, it can become predictable, so it's for the coaching staff to give them extra strings in their bow and more unpredictability. Plus, as they learn more about their team mates, they'll know more about what they're going to do. Rose has barely played with Khan, or Wilson. Eisa has barely played with Andrews. These things take time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 168
MuddyWaters
October 6, 2023, 6:51am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,265
Gold Stars: 236

We dominated many games. Parts of Bradford and Crawley for example.

You cannot just take our worst game and say we look dreadful and Barrows best performance. Teams over the course of the season will have good games and bad games. It is very rare a team dominates a full match. You will have your moments in them and it's about capitalising and defending when the other team pull it together.

Our team is going for a more possession style type of football (minus Barrow), and that brings with it new challenges. Previously you're not possession, you defend more and counter quick. In possession, you probe and build up, you bring other players in. You need to be more composed and work your way out of danger to take pressure off. It's a whole different style of play, and players that haven't always played in that style are probably still adjusting to decision making and approach in these games, and Hurst/Doig will be feeding back to them where they need to improve in some elements of these. It's going to take time until this is natural, and how you execute the plan will be different based on whether you're at home and confident or away. Whether you're winning, drawing or losing. You cannot teach someone to not panic, or to run your balderdash off regardless, they are behaviours, but you can teach people how to choose the right options (going wide, going forwards, going back under pressure).

Eisa is clearly a confident player and players may be tempted to pass to him because of that, but if they only do that, it can become predictable, so it's for the coaching staff to give them extra strings in their bow and more unpredictability. Plus, as they learn more about their team mates, they'll know more about what they're going to do. Rose has barely played with Khan, or Wilson. Eisa has barely played with Andrews. These things take time.

We played pre season and the first two games with a clear 4231. Players in position, with a view to keeping possession. We lost 3-2 to a very good County side and he/they changed the plan to the point where, till Saturday, Alex Hunt hasn’t been seen since.

I’m not saying he’s world beating but if you play pre season with a shape, you surely give it more than two games?
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 168
ska face
October 6, 2023, 7:45am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,666
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from mariner91

We don’t have a discernible style of play. We have played a quarter of our league games, can you tell us what our aim is when attacking? Because as far as I can see it’s “get it to Eisa and hope for the best”.

I thought it was pretty clear what the style of play was over the first 6/7 games, with Conteh sitting in front of the back 4, full backs advancing with the ball looking to play triangles with Holohan/Hunt/Clifton and whoever was wide of the front 3; or with those wide players cutting inside and driving towards goal rather than heading along the line.

The high press with Rose, Clifton and the wide players is also a clear tactic - designed to win the ball in more dangerous areas where you don’t need as much build up play to get a shot off. Even defensively, the two CBs of Maher & Rodgers are clearly looking to be more aggressive and head into midfield to win the ball rather than allowing attackers to pin them back.

IIRC the issue for the first few weeks was that we had loads of possession but lacked quality in the final third in terms of creating good opportunities. Not insurmountable by any stretch of the imagination considering it was a new squad and one of the main attacking threats (Wilson) was out.

I think the main problem recently has been injuries with the loss of Maher and Rose fundamentally affecting how we play both with and without the ball. This is coupled with bringing Efete in and both left backs being not up to standard in possession (and out of possession at times), which means we don’t really have the option of switching play quickly, via Conteh, to fullbacks who are comfortable on the ball. Efete obviously has a lot of decent qualities, but I don’t think anyone would say he’s got real quality in terms of passing & delivery especially when being played out of position.

Ultimately it’s on the manager for a number of reasons, not least the never-ending chopping & changing of the whole system, but I’m not sure the last 3/4 games are representative of what the initial game plan and strategy was.  
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 168
Ash brown
October 6, 2023, 8:03am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +22
Quoted from ginnywings

Was about to post something along the same lines.

Every man and his dog who pays his entrance fee thinks he knows more than the manager. If only PH would put player x in position y and if only he would play this formation, or that formation, we would suddenly become this all conquering, marauding, goal scoring machine.

I keep reading that we have no discernible style of play. Yeah, Hurst says to them, "grab a shirt, any shirt you want, first eleven to get one plays, and just go out there and do what you want". As if we don't spend all week training and studying the opposition.

But guess what? The opposition spend all week doing the same thing, and sometimes they are just better at it than we are. Perhaps they have a better budget, and better players, or perhaps they have just been working at it longer than we have, and are further along in their development than we are.

Barrow made us look disjointed because they were better and outplayed us, and yet we won the game and are a massive 2 points behind them in the league, despite the fact they have so far played Tranmere, Sutton, Accrington, Harrogate, Morecambe, Newport and Doncaster in their opening 10 games, which is in stark contrast to our own start.

Now, I'm fully aware we haven't been great, but we've been pretty good in a few games, albeit without the rewards I think we have deserved, so winning against Barrow with our worst performance of the season is just a bit of karma I reckon. We've not quite clicked yet but have been decent in patches and have taken the lead in (I think) 8 of our 11 games so far.

The other argument is that we don't create anything, and yet we created more than Crawley and Swindon in recent games, and I'm willing to bet there are plenty of other teams in the league with less creativity than us, some of whom we will shortly be playing. Turning chance into goals has been what has let us down so far, with Swindon being a particularly bad day at the office.

I get there are plenty on here who will disagree, but for me, we have to be a bit more patient, and not extrapolate an average start as meaning we will carry on in this vein for the rest of the season. If we do, then yes, have a chunter, and I will join you in that.

There are plenty of experts out there, I got a particularly annoying idiot sat behind me who was talking to himself giving instructions to the players everytime they got the ball. I'd imagine in an attempt to show to everyone in earshot how much he knows about football. Just sing and shout support for the boys who pull on the shirt, don't be that mammary who plays football manager and waffles on about stats, xg etc

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 168
Mappers
October 6, 2023, 9:03am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,341
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from Ash brown

There are plenty of experts out there, I got a particularly annoying idiot sat behind me who was talking to himself giving instructions to the players everytime they got the ball. I'd imagine in an attempt to show to everyone in earshot how much he knows about football. Just sing and shout support for the boys who pull on the shirt, don't be that mammary who plays football manager and waffles on about stats, xg etc

One near me in the lower takes them all down, Hurst gets quite an easy ride compared to some ; especially Ryan Taylor last season-  he seemingly hates ginger people . All quite amusing for entertainment value but hardly supportive of the team - you have to feel for lower league players , they take a battering for relatively small reward financially - they must really love playing the game .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 168
17 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back  (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.