Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back  (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just back  (merged)

This thread currently has 11,967 views. Print
17 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
October 5, 2023, 6:25pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from ska face
Unsurprising to see that the usual suspects have written off something as basic and ubiquitous as data analysis based on nothing but their own assumptions of how it works, what’s being analysed and how it’s being applied.

It’s the same people who are absolutely adamant that the players have no idea how we’re supposed to be playing and don’t know the game plan because they, personally, don’t know it or can’t work it out. With all due respect, it’s a lot more complicated than some on here like to think or have extrapolated from their Sunday league spell in the 70s. Yeah it’s probably more complicated than it needs to be at times, and Hurst is definitely guilty of overthinking things when it comes to the opposition, but there’s more to think about than just 4-4-2 get it wide get it in egg & chips.

Was about to post something along the same lines.

Every man and his dog who pays his entrance fee thinks he knows more than the manager. If only PH would put player x in position y and if only he would play this formation, or that formation, we would suddenly become this all conquering, marauding, goal scoring machine.

I keep reading that we have no discernible style of play. Yeah, Hurst says to them, "grab a shirt, any shirt you want, first eleven to get one plays, and just go out there and do what you want". As if we don't spend all week training and studying the opposition.

But guess what? The opposition spend all week doing the same thing, and sometimes they are just better at it than we are. Perhaps they have a better budget, and better players, or perhaps they have just been working at it longer than we have, and are further along in their development than we are.

Barrow made us look disjointed because they were better and outplayed us, and yet we won the game and are a massive 2 points behind them in the league, despite the fact they have so far played Tranmere, Sutton, Accrington, Harrogate, Morecambe, Newport and Doncaster in their opening 10 games, which is in stark contrast to our own start.

Now, I'm fully aware we haven't been great, but we've been pretty good in a few games, albeit without the rewards I think we have deserved, so winning against Barrow with our worst performance of the season is just a bit of karma I reckon. We've not quite clicked yet but have been decent in patches and have taken the lead in (I think) 8 of our 11 games so far.

The other argument is that we don't create anything, and yet we created more than Crawley and Swindon in recent games, and I'm willing to bet there are plenty of other teams in the league with less creativity than us, some of whom we will shortly be playing. Turning chance into goals has been what has let us down so far, with Swindon being a particularly bad day at the office.

I get there are plenty on here who will disagree, but for me, we have to be a bit more patient, and not extrapolate an average start as meaning we will carry on in this vein for the rest of the season. If we do, then yes, have a chunter, and I will join you in that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 168
acko338
October 5, 2023, 6:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,223
Gold Stars: 33
Run faster, pass more accurately, trap the ball properly, be available to receive the next ball, use the full pitch width, practice corners, free kicks, and decide who is best at penalties (Holohan?).

Most of these should be achievable through training sessions, so why does the team often look awkward and disjointed??

Barrow, and several other teams, seem to pass, move and flow faster and more accurately than we do, and this makes us look amateurish and allows our fans a reason to be unhappy.

Left back still looks to be the most vulnerable spot, easily picked up by any opposition, although Mullarkey was caught out by the tricky left winger several times on Tuesday night.

Are both signed players finding this league a tad too fast for them?

January may be busier than expected !!

Are we "data scanning" a left full back ready for January?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 168
MuddyWaters
October 5, 2023, 6:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ginnywings

Every man and his dog who pays his entrance fee thinks he knows more than the manager. If only PH would put player x in position y and if only he would play this formation, or that formation, we would suddenly become this all conquering, marauding, goal scoring machine.

I keep reading that we have no discernible style of play. Yeah, Hurst says to them, "grab a shirt, any shirt you want, first eleven to get one plays, and just go out there and do what you want". As if we don't spend all week training and studying the opposition.

But guess what? The opposition spend all week doing the same thing, and sometimes they are just better at it than we are. Perhaps they have a better budget, and better players, or perhaps they have just been working at it longer than we have, and are further along in their development than we are.

Barrow made us look disjointed because they were better and outplayed us, and yet we won the game and are a massive 2 points behind them in the league, despite the fact they have so far played Tranmere, Sutton, Accrington, Harrogate, Morecambe, Newport and Doncaster in their opening 10 games, which is in stark contrast to our own start.

Now, I'm fully aware we haven't been great, but we've been pretty good in a few games, albeit without the rewards I think we have deserved, so winning against Barrow with our worst performance of the season is just a bit of karma I reckon. We've not quite clicked yet but have been decent in patches and have taken the lead in (I think) 8 of our 11 games so far.

The other argument is that we don't create anything, and yet we created more than Crawley and Swindon in recent games, and I'm willing to bet there are plenty of other teams in the league with less creativity than us, some of whom we will shortly be playing. Turning chance into goals has been what has let us down so far, with Swindon being a particularly bad day at the office.

I get there are plenty on here who will disagree, but for me, we have to be a bit more patient, and not extrapolate an average start as meaning we will carry on in this vein for the rest of the season. If we do, then yes, have a chunter, and I will join you in that.

I know you’ll turn this into something it isn’t but is there a time that you will start to get concerned?

For what it’s worth, I’m concerned that we’re getting worse not better, we’re looking less fit and we’re already playing players out of position. We were told to expect a period of time for the new signings to bed in - I get that. But there must come a time when we settle on a formation and a style of play.

Maybe Donovan Wilson helps us with that process but if that means two up then the formation changes again. Disjointed was my first thought on Tuesday, it’s surely time, as Barrow showed us, for that not to be the case.
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 168
Mappers
October 5, 2023, 7:17pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,330
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from ginnywings

On a side not note ,I thought Acquah was excellent for Barrow when he came on the other night .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 168
Croxton
October 5, 2023, 7:35pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Mappers

On a side not note ,I thought Acquah was excellent for Barrow when he came on the other night .

Yes, very similar physique and role as Akins for Mansfield. Lots of mobile midfielders buzzing round them like bees round a queen. We stole the honey this time!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 168
Maringer
October 5, 2023, 7:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,542
Gold Stars: 185
Agreed. We couldn't cope with his physicality, though we did our best. It was taking two of our defenders to try to deal with him and even then it was a struggle. The passes into him werw of a very high standard, however, and it allowed him to lay the ball off and link up play really well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 168
ginnywings
October 5, 2023, 7:52pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I know you’ll turn this into something it isn’t but is there a time that you will start to get concerned?

For what it’s worth, I’m concerned that we’re getting worse not better, we’re looking less fit and we’re already playing players out of position. We were told to expect a period of time for the new signings to bed in - I get that. But there must come a time when we settle on a formation and a style of play.

Maybe Donovan Wilson helps us with that process but if that means two up then the formation changes again. Disjointed was my first thought on Tuesday, it’s surely time, as Barrow showed us, for that not to be the case.

Well, not 11 games into the season, that's for sure.

Did that answer turn it into something it isn't?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 168
lew chaterleys lover
October 5, 2023, 7:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I think most posters like to comment on what is currently happening don't they?

Fair enough if you want to wait 15, 20 games to see how it pans out, or why not leave it till the end of the season, so you will be spot on with the analysis?

I am currently very critical because we are disjointed, lack cohesion and boring. Football being football it might change in a month or two but none of us know so it makes more sense to me to praise or grumble match to match.
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 168
MuddyWaters
October 5, 2023, 8:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236

I think most posters like to comment on what is currently happening don't they?

Fair enough if you want to wait 15, 20 games to see how it pans out, or why not leave it till the end of the season, so you will be spot on with the analysis?

I am currently very critical because we are disjointed, lack cohesion and boring. Football being football it might change in a month or two but none of us know so it makes more sense to me to praise or grumble match to match.

Me too. Doesn’t fit some people’s narrative but the lack of flair, pattern and cohesion isn’t a new phenomenon, is it?
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 168
headingly_mariner
October 5, 2023, 8:29pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,380
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Mappers

I would suggest he's more guilty of overthinking our team atm , he used to effectively outhink opponents in the past , and stop them - athough we got the 3 points against Barrow we certainly didn't stop their method of play or counteract their key players ; similiar against Crawley to an extent .

He massively changed the game by bringing Maher on and changing the shape. We were drowning until that happened and it probably won us the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 168
17 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back  (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.