Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back  (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot, jimgtfc, Mayaman and 92 Guests

Just back  (merged)

This thread currently has 11,969 views. Print
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
lukeo
October 4, 2023, 4:15am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Didn't watch the game but have to say football is a funny old game isn't it.
Saturday we go to Swindon and play some lovely football, control most of the game and lose 2 1. 3 days later we play at home and get totally dominate yet won 2 1.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 168
arryarryarry
October 4, 2023, 4:31am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 116
I thought we looked poor especially in the second half but two really well executed goals with some poor defending from Barrow who looked apart from the two goals quite a strong side.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 168
Mappers
October 4, 2023, 6:00am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,330
Gold Stars: 118

Hurst said we was poor. If that was our gameplan executed, he wouldn't have said that, would he?

Do you think when the team win the ball back, Hurst says pass it to them so we can defend? That suggestion defies all logic. By all means, we defended well, but probably didn't do well with the ball when we got it and invited pressure onto ourselves.

However, on Saturday, we did well when we have the ball, but we defended poorly.

We needed a good defensive display, and I think the team can hopefully take confidence that we can see a lead out. We just need to combine the two and get more consistent. A platform to build on.

Oh, and everyone who keeps sayings that we were crap, could it not just be that Barrow are now a competent League 2 outfit, just shy of the play-offs and performed well? I get that Barrow used to be shite, but then again, Luton used to be non-league. Things change in football.

Agree about Barrow a very good side , maybe a touch behind Mansfield & Notts on what I have seen so far but not by much .

I think Tommy was referring more to the 'revert to type' of keeping us shape and inviting pressure , then holding out much like Hurst teams have done in the past ; whether deliberate or not time will tell in how we setup in coming games , Conteh really loses effectiveness though if we lack any ball retention with the game played through him .

We got away with one  , but now is  a big opportunity - only Stockport in the next 12 who I would expect defeat against - really need  to capitalise now against so called weaker teams , starting with Tranmere on Saturday .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 168
pontoonlew
October 4, 2023, 6:18am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,041
Gold Stars: 177
Feels wrong to moan about 3 points and playing badly when we’ve so often done okay and drawn/lost this season. I’ll take it as a one off but I don’t fancy watching that every week.

It felt like our ‘game plan’ first half was to get crosses into the box more often and unfortunately every single delivery was absolutely shite. You could even argue the cross for the goal wasn’t great, it was just dealt with terribly by Barrows defender & keeper. Barrow actually had an identity and moved the ball well, however, it’s not them sat with 3 points this morning.

Andrews & Rodgers very good for me. I’ve seen a lot of praise for Holohan, he won the ball a lot but I think his distribution was poor by his standards, funny how differently people see it!

And in Wilson, we have the reason we need a goalscorer. Without his clinical finish we’re looking at a point last night, but one clinical finish from nothing makes all the difference. If he can do that over 90 mins we may have solved a huge problem.

Not the best, but sometimes you need a night like last night to go on a run.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 168
aldi_01
October 4, 2023, 6:35am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
The whole ‘reverting to type’ was almost a certainty once we went 1 up. When you’ve lost three on the spin you naturally get nervous and protect what you have. Literally every team does it, so anyone surprised probably doesn’t watch much football. Similarly when Barrow slung the ball into the box right that th death when their keeper came out.

Our lad catches it and lays on it and people were screaming for him to kick it long…why? He had hold of the ball and there were no more than 30’sexonds left. Kicking it, keeper or not would’ve put us under pressure given we had nobody forward.

We got a win and probably didn’t play half as good as we did on Saturday. That said, we were clinical and for all the moaning about strikers, both had one chance each and took them…pretty clinical that. Barrow moved the ball well and you can see why they win games but for all their huff and puff, they didn’t take chances and, like us in many a game, it’s cost them.

When you’ve been on a bad run, sometimes the win is needed more than any type of performance.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 168
MuddyWaters
October 4, 2023, 6:44am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from aldi_01
The whole ‘reverting to type’ was almost a certainty once we went 1 up. When you’ve lost three on the spin you naturally get nervous and protect what you have. Literally every team does it, so anyone surprised probably doesn’t watch much football. Similarly when Barrow slung the ball into the box right that th death when their keeper came out.

Our lad catches it and lays on it and people were screaming for him to kick it long…why? He had hold of the ball and there were no more than 30’sexonds left. Kicking it, keeper or not would’ve put us under pressure given we had nobody forward.

We got a win and probably didn’t play half as good as we did on Saturday. That said, we were clinical and for all the moaning about strikers, both had one chance each and took them…pretty clinical that. Barrow moved the ball well and you can see why they win games but for all their huff and puff, they didn’t take chances and, like us in many a game, it’s cost them.

When you’ve been on a bad run, sometimes the win is needed more than any type of performance.

It was a much needed three points but, having had chance to sleep on it, we were pretty dreadful last night.

It looks like we’ve signed some very good players in their positions but they seem unable to gel as a team. Our ball retention is woeful and we just invited pressure hence the need to go to five at the back.

I’m not sure what we’re trying to achieve and I expect us to finish quite a bit lower than Barrow this season as we seem to be, as in previous seasons, getting worse not better.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 168
Heisenberg
October 4, 2023, 6:44am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,069
Gold Stars: 93
Everything has been said so I’ll not go over old ground, but a similar theme that hasn’t been mentioned on this thread rears it’s ugly head again; Pyke - my god, he’s lazy. Having him on for just a few moments increased pressure on the whole team. Bringing him to the club and letting Orsi go was not Hurst’s best move, and it irks me intensely.

But thank christ for the 3 points.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 168
Mappers
October 4, 2023, 6:53am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,330
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from aldi_01

Yeah you take it don't you - we really need about 20 points + from this next 12 games , otherwise we will be looking at half a season (barring a miracle) with not much to play for .

Seemingly Hurst has made his mind up on Amos & Glennon so that's at least 2 going who need replacing , I feel already once again there will be a massive turnover of players in January and the summer .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 168
Heisenberg
October 4, 2023, 7:04am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,069
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from Mappers

Yeah you take it don't you - we really need about 20 points + from this next 12 games , otherwise we will be looking at half a season (barring a miracle) with not much to play for .

Seemingly Hurst has made his mind up on Amos & Glennon so that's at least 2 going who need replacing , I feel already once again there will be a massive turnover of players in January and the summer .

I’m trying to work out what Amos has done wrong, personally.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 168
ska face
October 4, 2023, 7:05am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Just seen the goals, theirs is an absolute carbon copy of the one from Saturday. Rogers tied up with their striker comes out to challenge for the ball, both CBs end up so close together you could chuck a tablecloth over the pair, ball into the space behind and it’s a simple goal.

Waterfall needs to be more switched on if Rogers is going to be the defender attacking the ball, and if Conteh isn’t on the pitch whoever’s in his role needs to work harder to stop the ball coming straight back through the middle if Rogers doesn’t win it.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 168
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back  (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.