Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back  (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
1mickylyons, 99agrant, A sCUNT, acko338, AdamHaddock, AllanGaudensNeighbour, AncientExiledMariner, AndyDarloFC, aussiej, AussieMariner, Badger57, Balthazar Bullitt, Barrattstander, bartgtfc, bawarmy, Bawmariner, bedders78, BeijingMariner, Belfast Town, benny1618, Big Jake, bigbadmarinerbob, Bigboy, biggleswademariner, Bignic69, Bigwinn1975, blackandwhitelaces, BobbyCummingsTackle, Brazilnut, BrMarin, BruceytheFish, Brummie Codfather, BulkyMariner, C0cky, Cambs Mariner, cannylad65, Captaincod, cardiffmariner, Caveman, Cayman_mariner, chaos33, chelseacity, chipsandgravy, Chrisblor, Civvy at last, cjbill, coddy60, CodHead, Connecticut Mariner, Craigy01, Croxton, Crumbcrusader, crusty ole pie, Crystal, CSLM, DaleGTFC, Davec, davmariner, DB, denni266, devs, Dick Johnson, Doctor Sanchez, drbell, Epworth Mariner, essexexile, EvilFish, FishOutOfWater, forza ivano, Freemoash88, friskneymariner, Gaffer58, Gainsbro_Mariner, GarforthMariner, Geordie Mariner, GhostDan, Gilbertswand, Gill, ginnywings, gobby, golfer, GollyGTFC, GrahamH, Grant Baily, Grantley, grassbandits, GrimExile, GrimRob, Grimsby Is Not In Yorkshire, Grimsby69, grimsbybrown, gtfc98, gtfc_chris, Gtfcalex, Gyranger.2, gytone, Hacksaw jimmy cook, Hagrid, Hants.Mariner, Harbour Rat, HarrogateMariner, Heisenberg, HertsGTFC, Heswall Mariner, hheh2, HistonMariner, HoratiusEberlin, horsforthmariner, IlkleyMariner, immariner, ivanosandwich, Jackie Lewis, jamesgtfc, jimgtfc, JK47, joanie298, johnbhoy, jonnyboy82, jungleland, kafunanapar140909, kevikov, Knut Anders Fosters Voles, krispy84, Les Brechin, Limerick Mariner, Lincspoacher, LivvosRomanNose, LN8Mariner, LocalLadGTFC, LondonMariner43, louth_in_the_south, lukeo, MaccasBoots, Madeleymariner, majestic tees, ManBurning, Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie, Mappers, mariner chopper, Mariner John, Mariner Timsky, Mariner16, Mariner56, Mariner93er, Mariner_501, Marinerdan, MarinerDevil, marinerjase, MarinerMal, MarinerRob, Maringer, Mark GTFC, Martz86, Matthew, Mayaman, Meza, Mighty_Mariner, mike502, Mikey_345, Milky Bar Kid, mimma, Misterton Mariner, MNH1972, Morph2000, mr b, Nadfink, Neilo83, Nelly GTFC, neverapen, nigelh, nomorefourfiveone, norfuk mariner, Northbank Mariner, NorthseaMariner, Northy81, out of town, OZMAN, PaceyMariner, paramariner, Parkooo, paulmblythe, Peeler_Crab, percentagefootball, Phisch, Pontoon bill, pontoonlew, Poojah, Posh Harry, Quagmire, rancido, richiedk, RichMariner, Roast Em Bobby, Rob_in_Grimsby, Rodley Mariner, Running like emson, Ruston AT, sam gy, Saudimariner, ScottyUTM, scott, scrumble, shaun the sheep, Sigone, skegmariner, smokin joe, sonofmadeleymariner, Southwark Mariner, Spatchcock, Spidey, spikelias, SpiritOf98, Spurn boy, SteffiMariner, stevieh, Stew0_0, Stranger in the Park, supertown, Sussexmariner, sutton mariner, SWMariner, tanga_the_indestructible, Tavistock Mariner, Teesknees, The Dogs Testicles, the rhino, The_Laughing_Mariner, thefish, Theimperialcoroner, thespiffing, thevera, TimMickleburgh, tintowner, Tinymariner, Tom13, TonySmith, Total Hawsehole, Town Monkey, Townforlife, TownSNAFU5, TwoLeftFeet, UTMAdinfinitum, Vigo_Mariner, vinno69, Wedidntdidwe, Wemble1998, wembley_double98, WesternMariner, WetFlannel, Withnail, wizbit, WLMariner, wormy, WOZOFGRIMSBY, wuffing, Wyberway, Zmariner and 1262 Guests

Just back  (merged)

This thread currently has 12,128 views. Print
17 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
October 4, 2023, 7:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from VinnyGTFC
Haven't read through all but my thoughts.
We have two fit left backs but aren't playing them. Don't like that.
Our right hand side was far too open there was space there to be exploited which wasn't really addressed.
I thought Otis Khan had a good game. Obviously the goalscorers took their chances well.

I don't mind looking at playing back and switching looking for space but we were too slow in both moving the ball and movement of players.
I recall one move there only being one available pass, a Barrow player cutting off that passing line then the ball being recycled.Thats too easy.
There were some good moments when we looked better than the level but they were too few and there was a ridiculous amount of desperate defending when we should have been controlling the game.
I hope the ref takes a look back and addresses his performance. I know we slate refs but he was at a different game to me.
Onwards we go, hopefully a win lifts spirits . We will see at Tranmere

Otis Khan had a poor game based on the sentence before you said he had a good game. He left Mullarkey exposed time after time much as Eisa left Efete exposed but to a lesser extent.
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 168
Mappers
October 4, 2023, 7:36pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,480
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Otis Khan had a poor game based on the sentence before you said he had a good game. He left Mullarkey exposed time after time much as Eisa left Efete exposed but to a lesser extent.

Nothing has changed my opinion on Khan from seeing him before he signed for us and the time he's had here - a bits and pieces mid table league 2 winger who needs a good season otherwise he will end up  in the NL at best .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 168
DB
October 4, 2023, 9:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.42
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391
What has happened to Amos? He played reasonably well in 2 games, on the bench for 2 games and then dropped. Efete is okay on the right but as a left back he is out of position. Glennon's form has been woeful but he was on the bench.

I wonder why we have 2 left backs and don't play them.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 168
ska face
October 4, 2023, 10:25pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,781
Gold Stars: 851
Potentially because Hurst thinks they’re dog? Think he had all his eggs in one basket on deadline day & it didn’t work out.
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 168
Zmariner
October 4, 2023, 10:44pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from Heisenberg

I’m trying to work out what Amos has done wrong, personally.

With you on that one. i think we are a better team with him in. Miche'se done OK and so why not play him at right back. Mullarkey possibly centre back?
Hurst seems to treat Amos badly to me and I think he is a decent left back.
As for the game, we defended well but it was a 4 out of 10 show and Barrow looked a different level to our clogging style. We have square pegs in round holes and although I am a Hurst supporter his current team selections appear wierd to me. Glennon has been out of form but I saw nothing wrong with Amos and he is better than Michee. It feels a bit like the situation with Orsi , unless we miss something in training. Anyway a great 3 points, play like that on Saturday and we get well beaten. I love a win but came out of the ground deflated after that and fearing a struggle at the bottom this season.
utm
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 168
lew chaterleys lover
October 5, 2023, 12:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,759
Gold Stars: 237
Our current travails leads me to think about the role of data, statistics and character which are things regularly talked about on here and elsewhere. You have to keep up to date with these things, apparently.

This team presumably has been assembled with all those things at the forefront of the recruitment process, yet here we are with an incoherent team, a squad not gelling and no discernable style of play, very little urgency and creating few chances from open play and even less from set pieces.

So what is the conclusion we can draw? Has the recruitment process been compromised by stats that look good but are misleading? Or has the recruitment been good but that is because playing for a different manager in a different system lead to different outcomes? Has the data found us better players but the coaching isn't up to par, or they don't like the system or they just aren't gelling?

I can't believe any self respective manager would take too much notice of data rather than his own eyes but you never know.

My conclusions for what they are worth is that there is no substitute for a manager recognising a blend of players is important,  despite what the data may tell you. There is no substitute for great coaching even if the players may be better technically,  and a lot of players for often unknown reasons do far better at some clubs than others, regardless of stats.

The trouble with data is that it can be misconstrued or misinterpreted leading to the completely wrong diagnosis.

I hope in the January window we worry less about data and more about getting players who will re-ignite the passion and verve we need.
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 168
Mappers
October 5, 2023, 2:43pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Approval: +4,480
Gold Stars: 119
Our current travails leads me to think about the role of data, statistics and character which are things regularly talked about on here and elsewhere. You have to keep up to date with these things, apparently.

This team presumably has been assembled with all those things at the forefront of the recruitment process, yet here we are with an incoherent team, a squad not gelling and no discernable style of play, very little urgency and creating few chances from open play and even less from set pieces.

So what is the conclusion we can draw? Has the recruitment process been compromised by stats that look good but are misleading? Or has the recruitment been good but that is because playing for a different manager in a different system lead to different outcomes? Has the data found us better players but the coaching isn't up to par, or they don't like the system or they just aren't gelling?

I can't believe any self respective manager would take too much notice of data rather than his own eyes but you never know.

My conclusions for what they are worth is that there is no substitute for a manager recognising a blend of players is important,  despite what the data may tell you. There is no substitute for great coaching even if the players may be better technically,  and a lot of players for often unknown reasons do far better at some clubs than others, regardless of stats.

The trouble with data is that it can be misconstrued or misinterpreted leading to the completely wrong diagnosis.

I hope in the January window we worry less about data and more about getting players who will re-ignite the passion and verve we need.

I don't understand how data would lead you to a conclusion of having 5 players on the books who's best position is left wing/left midfield , it's frankly bizarre .

Playing a centre back right back , a right back left back and invariably a RM , who really isn't one - it's so strange I can't remember exact line ups but you would have said  :

Magnay Pearson Gowling Robertson
Colback Disley Clay Clifton /Mcglaughlin
                    Amond/Conell/Mcatee
                   Bogle/Hearn/Taylor  

It doesn't matter what season it was , it would be a tucked in winger one side , with a wide wide winger the other  , two working their nuts off in CM , and a settled back four with everyone playing in their natural position . Playing  % football , but playing some football in the opposition half .Never get too many men ahead of the ball and a really solid block when the opposition had it - contrast that to the other night and Crawley ; there were spaces in the middle of the park wide as the Mersey tunnel .  

Then from at some point last season there was a massive change in his thinking - certainly in formation (3-5-2 ,4-3-3 , 3-4-3 )  and the wilingness to stick with a team . I don't buy it's because of injuries because when people were injured before he would stick with his favoured formation and just change personnel to fit his philosophy .

It's not even a criticism , I would just be really interested in his thinking behind the changes , someone who has always been a stubborn manager and generally done well with a set style suddenly seems willing to try almost anything when at a time not so long ago , suggestion of a change of philosophy would have been met with a firm glare that said 'us shape'.

A change of ethos ?
Fan pressure ?
More input from those around him ?
Data ?
Boardroom pressure or lack of worry over the future of his position so willing to experiment ?
Maybe something else , maybe a mixture of all those .

Would love to know .

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 168
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
October 5, 2023, 3:00pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 555

The clubs I am involved with, both in the EFL and non-league, use statistics to varying degrees. They use data to measure performance, potential transfers etc.

None of them use statistics as the sole measure for any aspect of playing, management or transfer strategy. The statistics are a tool. Town will be no different.

With due respect, like with the player/club location issue, you’ve taken one aspect of a discussion and viewed it as an absolute.

Last year, I posted a true anecdote about finding a copy of Razzle and a Lincoln v Burnley programme in a box of Town programmes my Dad had passed on to me.

The evidence suggests he enjoyed a bit of blue and cherished his visit to Sincil Bank to keep the programme.

My Dad’s Razzle dazzle and trip to Lincoln will have had some impact on the man he is today.

However, there is no other evidence that indicates he is a pörn addict or a secret Imp. It is part of the package of life experience that produces the end result; a loving father.

In the same way, just because Town utilise statistics, data and place importance on character, they are just part of the many factors that mix together to produce a squad of the Conteh’s and the Pyke’s (Zidanes y Pavónes - except Pyke’s not homegrown). They will still view potential signings, either in the flesh or on video. It’s a bittersweet symphony but history shows you’ll be a lucky man and it will eventually identify the verve you require. The next Ashcroft could be just around the corner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 168
lew chaterleys lover
October 5, 2023, 3:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,759
Gold Stars: 237

The clubs I am involved with, both in the EFL and non-league, use statistics to varying degrees. They use data to measure performance, potential transfers etc.

None of them use statistics as the sole measure for any aspect of playing, management or transfer strategy. The statistics are a tool. Town will be no different.

With due respect, like with the player/club location issue, you’ve taken one aspect of a discussion and viewed it as an absolute.

Last year, I posted a true anecdote about finding a copy of Razzle and a Lincoln v Burnley programme in a box of Town programmes my Dad had passed on to me.

The evidence suggests he enjoyed a bit of blue and cherished his visit to Sincil Bank to keep the programme.

My Dad’s Razzle dazzle and trip to Lincoln will have had some impact on the man he is today.

However, there is no other evidence that indicates he is a pörn addict or a secret Imp. It is part of the package of life experience that produces the end result; a loving father.

In the same way, just because Town utilise statistics, data and place importance on character, they are just part of the many factors that mix together to produce a squad of the Conteh’s and the Pyke’s (Zidanes y Pavónes - except Pyke’s not homegrown). They will still view potential signings, either in the flesh or on video. It’s a bittersweet symphony but history shows you’ll be a lucky man and it will eventually identify the verve you require. The next Ashcroft could be just around the corner.

I am anti data because all my working life I have seen it abused, distorted, misinterpreted, misrepresented,  skewed to show one side of an argument. It is often not used as a tool at all; it is a way of making something fit or not to a pre ordained position. In that sense you are right it is an absolute for me.

I hadn't give it any thought as to how data is used in football until I started seeing the xg stats. Some people were genuinely getting excited that we had a high xg despite the fact we scored nil.

Some argue that we will learn a lot from that because we can apply any changes necessary in the next game. There is just the one flaw in that argument in that the circumstances of the next game are completely and utterly different and the previous xg meant absolutely nothing.

I see people raving that player x has made the most Interceptions. What on earth is that about?! Without context it also means absolutely nothing. If he intercepts it and a second later smashes into his own net, or gives the ball away and then has to make another Interception his ratings are going up all the time!

Of course I understand that clubs use data as another tool, but we have made a thing about getting data analysts so it is a good conversation to have but there is nothing to compare to seeing a player live two or three times to get a true reflection of his ability.
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 168
GrimPol
October 5, 2023, 3:41pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76

Isn't the point though that if you can buy these statistics, as GTFC has, then people are reading what we're reading? But a manager's thoughts/nous/skill/competency, call it what you will, is ours, and ours alone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 168
17 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back  (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.