Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back  (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just back  (merged)

This thread currently has 11,954 views. Print
17 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimPol
October 5, 2023, 3:49pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -671
Gold Stars: 69

I am anti data because all my working life I have seen it abused, distorted, misinterpreted, misrepresented,  skewed to show one side of an argument. It is often not used as a tool at all; it is a way of making something fit or not to a pre ordained position. In that sense you are right it is an absolute for me.

I hadn't give it any thought as to how data is used in football until I started seeing the xg stats. Some people were genuinely getting excited that we had a high xg despite the fact we scored nil.

Some argue that we will learn a lot from that because we can apply any changes necessary in the next game. There is just the one flaw in that argument in that the circumstances of the next game are completely and utterly different and the previous xg meant absolutely nothing.

I see people raving that player x has made the most Interceptions. What on earth is that about?! Without context it also means absolutely nothing. If he intercepts it and a second later smashes into his own net, or gives the ball away and then has to make another Interception his ratings are going up all the time!

Of course I understand that clubs use data as another tool, but we have made a thing about getting data analysts so it is a good conversation to have but there is nothing to compare to seeing a player live two or three times to get a true reflection of his ability.

Also, if  we get loads of corners is that A) Good, as it means our players are getting to the by line, or B) Rubbish because it means our players are rubbish at centring, as the opposition is good at blocking.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 168
lew chaterleys lover
October 5, 2023, 3:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,714
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from GrimPol

Isn't the point though that if you can buy these statistics, as GTFC has, then people are reading what we're reading? But a manager's thoughts/nous/skill/competency, call it what you will, is ours, and ours alone.

Exactly. Give 10 managers the same set of players (data) and you will get 10 different outcomes.

Private Message
Reply: 121 - 168
lew chaterleys lover
October 5, 2023, 3:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,714
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from GrimPol

Also, if  we get loads of corners is that A) Good, as it means our players are getting to the by line, or B) Rubbish because it means our players are rubbish at centring, as the opposition is good at blocking.

You've got it! They basically mean sod all.
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 168
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 5, 2023, 3:56pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,694
Gold Stars: 79

You've got it! They basically mean sod all.

I’m sure there will be stats indicating how accurate/effective the use of stats are, maybe we should hire someone to check this out?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 168
Maringer
October 5, 2023, 3:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,512
Gold Stars: 185
You're anti-data?

Crikey, that's a bit odd. Data is nothing more than measurable information, so I can't really see why anybody would be against it.

More accurate to say that you are against the misuse of data. Sometimes this is deliberate (think sleazy politicians and people with an agenda), sometimes inadvertent because lots of people don't understand how to analyse it properly. I remember doing a statistics module at University (long time ago now!) and it was quite interesting to find how easy it is to misinterpret data. It was also flipping boring, but that's another matter.

The sports science data you're talking about is just measurable information. How Hurst and his staff interpret it is what is important and, given they've got sports science experts working with them, you'd expect them to be able to analyse it correctly.

Numbers of interceptions and xG might not mean something over one or two games, but they can't help but show a trend over the course of a season (or seasons).

Railing against something which could be useful as just part of the jigsaw is a strange stance to take.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 168
MuddyWaters
October 5, 2023, 4:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,253
Gold Stars: 235
“We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass.” — Brian Clough.
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 168
ska face
October 5, 2023, 4:23pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Unsurprising to see that the usual suspects have written off something as basic and ubiquitous as data analysis based on nothing but their own assumptions of how it works, what’s being analysed and how it’s being applied.

It’s the same people who are absolutely adamant that the players have no idea how we’re supposed to be playing and don’t know the game plan because they, personally, don’t know it or can’t work it out. With all due respect, it’s a lot more complicated than some on here like to think or have extrapolated from their Sunday league spell in the 70s. Yeah it’s probably more complicated than it needs to be at times, and Hurst is definitely guilty of overthinking things when it comes to the opposition, but there’s more to think about than just 4-4-2 get it wide get it in egg & chips.
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 168
Mappers
October 5, 2023, 4:54pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,323
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from GrimPol

I don't think our game is based on crosses anymore , the only time we see crosses really is Mullarkey (goal at Bradford) from deep (or someone in a similar position to where he crosses from ) I can't remember many times us getting to the byline other than when Eisa offers the occasional variation of going on the outside ; it's definitely less likely now Michee is left back to , as invariably he has to give a simple pass or come inside as he's so right footed .

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 168
Abdul19
October 5, 2023, 5:03pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,566
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from ska face
Unsurprising to see that the usual suspects have written off something as basic and ubiquitous as data analysis based on nothing but their own assumptions of how it works, what’s being analysed and how it’s being applied.

It’s the same people who are absolutely adamant that the players have no idea how we’re supposed to be playing and don’t know the game plan because they, personally, don’t know it or can’t work it out. With all due respect, it’s a lot more complicated than some on here like to think or have extrapolated from their Sunday league spell in the 70s. Yeah it’s probably more complicated than it needs to be at times, and Hurst is definitely guilty of overthinking things when it comes to the opposition, but there’s more to think about than just 4-4-2 get it wide get it in egg & chips.

Personally I'd be interested in their running on the beach on a Sunday morning stats.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 168
Mappers
October 5, 2023, 5:07pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,323
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from ska face

I would suggest he's more guilty of overthinking our team atm , he used to effectively outhink opponents in the past , and stop them - athough we got the 3 points against Barrow we certainly didn't stop their method of play or counteract their key players ; similiar against Crawley to an extent .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 168
17 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back  (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.