Hagrid
September 30, 2023, 5:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,437
Gold Stars: 536
Frustration more than anger this week.

We’ve done more than enough there to come away with at least a point, but our newly found inability to defend and achilles heel of not putting gilt edged chances away cost us.

Defending for both goals was really poor, Waterfall in particular for the 2nd, and unfortunately he looks like the relegation season Waterfall which is a real shame- side note, i thought Efete had a decent game.

Going forward we missed 3. 3. Sitters, clifton on one occasion, Rose and i think Mullarkey on the other. Just no excusing it. We got a goal back, lovely finish from wilson, and we huffed and puffed, Rodgers just wide, khan just wide, Gav just inches over, so frustrating.

The midfield we started with, Hunt, Clifton & Andrews were completely overrun, and the changes helped us, Harry looks a player devoid of confidence, and Hunt was just non existant. No way on earth should Gav have been on the bench.

I still back PH, I always have and I always will, I do not think we are far off a good side, and I believe he’s the right man to be at the helm, but he must go 2 up top on Tuesday. He must.

Calls on social media are getting louder for him to go, You’re just labelled a happy clapper if you disagree unfortuantely
Logged Offline
Private Message
AncientExiledMariner
September 30, 2023, 5:24pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.51
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
I'd get off social media then. It's just toxic. Pure negativity.

I'll personally support the team and manager, and I see no reason after that tricky starting run and injuries as to why he cannot turn it around.

I agree with most of this. We have Wilson and Khan back and getting fitter. Not sure if Wilson is ready for a full game yet, but we can change a match with substitutions now. Confidence is definitely a problem. Right now it isn't working for Waterfall, Glennon, Clifton, Hunt, and not sure why Amos isn't being played, but hopefully they can find it and get it back.

Hopefully Conteh and Maher back for next match.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 125
Limerick Mariner
September 30, 2023, 5:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Hagrid
Frustration more than anger this week.

We’ve done more than enough there to come away with at least a point, but our newly found inability to defend and achilles heel of not putting gilt edged chances away cost us.

Defending for both goals was really poor, Waterfall in particular for the 2nd, and unfortunately he looks like the relegation season Waterfall which is a real shame- side note, i thought Efete had a decent game.

Going forward we missed 3. 3. Sitters, clifton on one occasion, Rose and i think Mullarkey on the other. Just no excusing it. We got a goal back, lovely finish from wilson, and we huffed and puffed, Rodgers just wide, khan just wide, Gav just inches over, so frustrating.

The midfield we started with, Hunt, Clifton & Andrews were completely overrun, and the changes helped us, Harry looks a player devoid of confidence, and Hunt was just non existant. No way on earth should Gav have been on the bench.

I still back PH, I always have and I always will, I do not think we are far off a good side, and I believe he’s the right man to be at the helm, but he must go 2 up top on Tuesday. He must.

Calls on social media are getting louder for him to go, You’re a happy clapper if you disagree unfortuantely

One just needs to reflect on our observations on here regarding social media on the Scunthorpe thread…
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 125
fishcake63
September 30, 2023, 5:40pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
On the coach we did ok disagree with hagrid think rodgers must smell danger quicker on 2nd goal not switched on , negative for me was harry really struggling & i'm his biggest fan also we would should really be talking about at least a good point we cant miss sitters with keeper layed on floor
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 125
pontoonlew
September 30, 2023, 5:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,042
Gold Stars: 177
I think the overall feeling for me is disappointment that we’re clearly just not good enough to be up there this season, we look very beatable for all the decent sides yet nowhere near bad enough to worry about relegation. 10 games in it just feels as inevitable as the past 3 games have.

Swindon just made it look easy enough to put away chances and we made it look so bloody hard. Wilson’s goal was the most natural forward play I’ve seen in 2 seasons, promising it may be but it’s a reflection of just how toothless we’ve been.

There are positives and there were today, but every decent opposition just puts us at arms length. Wrexham have conceded 8 goals since we played them 2 weeks ago and got absolutely nowhere near scoring, that tells you all you need to know.

As far as individuals go, I thought Rodgers, Efete, Mullarkey and Andrews all had good games. Wilsons finish was very good and Holohan looked good in a short spell. Hunt was poor and Clifton is back to running around whilst looking so wasteful in possession.

The one thing I’m clinging onto is the fact our opening games have been ridiculously tough in hindsight, but I feel our decision to sign a load of triers in pre season and fall short in creativity will again let us down.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 125
heppy88
September 30, 2023, 6:03pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Hagrid
……but our newly found inability to defend and achilles heel of not putting gilt edged chances away cost us.

A recipe for disaster. It doesn’t matter if you’re playing well, deserve to win or draw. If your above quote continues throughout the season then we are down. Again!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 125
MuddyWaters
September 30, 2023, 6:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,262
Gold Stars: 236
Struggling to accept that we should be accepting of another defeat. We’ve won two of thirteen and that’s simply not good enough. I’m grateful for what Hurst has done but we’re in virtually the same league position as when he took over. Enough is enough.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 125
ginnywings
September 30, 2023, 6:11pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from heppy88

A recipe for disaster. It doesn’t matter if you’re playing well, deserve to win or draw. If your above quote continues throughout the season then we are down. Again!

Even at the current rate, we would hit 46 points, so even a slight improvement would get us over 50 easily.

Can't believe that anyone is even contemplating the R word after 10 games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 125
September 30, 2023, 6:12pm
Guest User
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Struggling to accept that we should be accepting of another defeat. We’ve won two of thirteen and that’s simply not good enough. I’m grateful for what Hurst has done but we’re in virtually the same league position as when he took over. Enough is enough.

But there are over 30 games left to play, lets see where we are after that.

Reply: 8 - 125
fishcake63
September 30, 2023, 6:36pm
Table Wine Drinker
we will be halfway comfortably it's if that's enough for some , for me think lge two is a difficult place this season & no i'm not a happy clapper but we've been down the route of sacking this manager before & look how that went so be careful what you wish far
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 125
fishcake63
September 30, 2023, 6:40pm
Table Wine Drinker
sorry meant wanting him sacked & him leaving
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 125
diehardmariner
September 30, 2023, 6:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,634
Gold Stars: 539
Hopefully Wilson and Rose up top on Tuesday night.  The spell with 2 in attack showed what it can offer with Wilson offering pace and power, I'm hoping that allows Rose to drop off a little bit.

That would mean a two man midfield, Conteh returning so I presume he goes straight back in and Holohan deserves to have regained his starting spot.

Clifton out wide and Eisa on the other flank I reckon. Unless he puts Wilson and Eisa wide of Rose and sticks with 3 in the middle.

Not a big fan of the meddling about at left back but I thought Efete had a decent game, just the lack of balance that I'm not keen on. Even more so without Maher in there.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 125
cardiffmariner
September 30, 2023, 6:41pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +1,321
Gold Stars: 24
Agree with the general feeling being one of frustration. Not much between the two sides when you take the game as a whole.

First half hour we were poor. Half-heartedly pressing and Swindon finding it way too easy to play around and through us, getting space all over the place. This was shown by the goal - way too much space and time between our two centre backs. All that said, they didn't create many clear cut chances.

Last 15 of the first half we started to impose ourselves and carried this through to the second half. They had spells in the second half (and what looked like a pen turned down) but we were the better team and they were genuinely holding on by the end. Their second goal was too easy with one ball cutting us wide open.

It's time for calm heads rather than gnashing and wailing. We're a decent team with some good options returning. The subs livened us up and I'd agree that Holohan should have been on from the start.

Couple of things for me. Like some others, I'm not yet convinced Eastwood is an upgrade from last season. Very little to do today and (this may be harsh) could have done better on both goals. The first shot was from the edge of the box. He was clear sighted and had time to set himself and was slow getting down. For the second, he came, stopped and came again. If he'd committed to coming out I felt he could have got there.

Hunt. Much talked about whether in or out. Don't think he was any better or worse than others today. Two or three times he played balls forward that looked like he wasted possession when those on the other end needed to be more alert and gambling. That said, he spent too much time deep, sometimes alongside our CBs. Hard for him at the moment to be so in and out and then be expected to pings balls around.

Lovely goal by Wilson.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 125
Mappers
September 30, 2023, 6:45pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,340
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from pontoonlew
I think the overall feeling for me is disappointment that we’re clearly just not good enough to be up there this season, we look very beatable for all the decent sides yet nowhere near bad enough to worry about relegation. 10 games in it just feels as inevitable as the past 3 games have.

Swindon just made it look easy enough to put away chances and we made it look so bloody hard. Wilson’s goal was the most natural forward play I’ve seen in 2 seasons, promising it may be but it’s a reflection of just how toothless we’ve been.

There are positives and there were today, but every decent opposition just puts us at arms length. Wrexham have conceded 8 goals since we played them 2 weeks ago and got absolutely nowhere near scoring, that tells you all you need to know.

As far as individuals go, I thought Rodgers, Efete, Mullarkey and Andrews all had good games. Wilsons finish was very good and Holohan looked good in a short spell. Hunt was poor and Clifton is back to running around whilst looking so wasteful in possession.

The one thing I’m clinging onto is the fact our opening games have been ridiculously tough in hindsight, but I feel our decision to sign a load of triers in pre season and fall short in creativity will again let us down.

I am a massive Hurst fan as a manager , as I have stated before but have slowly over the last few months come to the conclusion that it's time for a change - as I have said I want him to prove me wrong ; but I just can't see it to the extent to what  I would regard as 'success' - a full decent sesaon over achieving , like many other clubs have .

I don't think he will take us down ,or even close;  but it does worry me that a gritty team has been replaced with a soft underbelly of better individuals but potentially a worse collective unit.

I think my main gripe is , although I have enjoyed the amazing 1 off memories that he's provided over the whole 9 years across his 2 spells , the actual amount of games I have enjoyed watching in that time have  probably been between 10-20  and out of 500  odd that seems quite a low % .

'Stale' comes to mind maybe it's me , maybe it's Hurst maybe a mixture I'm not sure .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 125
MuddyWaters
September 30, 2023, 6:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from cardiffmariner
Agree with the general feeling being one of frustration. Not much between the two sides when you take the game as a whole.

First half hour we were poor. Half-heartedly pressing and Swindon finding it way too easy to play around and through us, getting space all over the place. This was shown by the goal - way too much space and time between our two centre backs. All that said, they didn't create many clear cut chances.

Last 15 of the first half we started to impose ourselves and carried this through to the second half. They had spells in the second half (and what looked like a pen turned down) but we were the better team and they were genuinely holding on by the end. Their second goal was too easy with one ball cutting us wide open.

It's time for calm heads rather than gnashing and wailing. We're a decent team with some good options returning. The subs livened us up and I'd agree that Holohan should have been on from the start.

Couple of things for me. Like some others, I'm not yet convinced Eastwood is an upgrade from last season. Very little to do today and (this may be harsh) could have done better on both goals. The first shot was from the edge of the box. He was clear sighted and had time to set himself and was slow getting down. For the second, he came, stopped and came again. If he'd committed to coming out I felt he could have got there.

Hunt. Much talked about whether in or out. Don't think he was any better or worse than others today. Two or three times he played balls forward that looked like he wasted possession when those on the other end needed to be more alert and gambling. That said, he spent too much time deep, sometimes alongside our CBs. Hard for him at the moment to be so in and out and then be expected to pings balls around.

Lovely goal by Wilson.

Hunt is simply not a replacement for Conteh.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 125
diehardmariner
September 30, 2023, 6:59pm
Vodka Drinker
I agree he was no better or worse than Andrews or Clifton today, but was nailed one he would be the first to be hooked.  Few times Hunt did get his passing right, he got his away down the flanks.

I do rate the lad and I don't think him knowing he's a bad pass away from getting hooked helps, but he really needs to add consistency to his game. Few occasions where he nipped in to win possession and then gave it away cheaply with a lazy type pass or layoff.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 125
cardiffmariner
September 30, 2023, 7:06pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Hunt is simply not a replacement for Conteh.

I don’t think that’s in doubt.

This idea from some that we/Hurst have gone ‘stale’ etc seems odd considering the obvious improvement and change in the way we play and the players we have.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 125
Northbank Mariner
September 30, 2023, 7:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,491
Gold Stars: 171

This idea from some that we/Hurst have gone ‘stale’ etc seems odd considering the obvious improvement and change in the way we play and the players we have.

He plays 1 up front, no runners, no intent on attack but plays to out wit the opposition, we have not improved even if we are playing a different style.
I will put my house on him going to 1 up front on Tuesday night, even though it was blatantly obvious we are a bigger threat with 2 up..time for a change before we do end up in a relegation battle, because 10 games soon becomes 20 than we could be up the  creek without a paddle
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 125
ginnywings
September 30, 2023, 7:11pm

Recovering Alcoholic
As I mentioned last week, without Maher and the reshuffles to defence that is causing, we simply aren't as good a defensive unit without him.

The 4 games we have lost have been against the big hitters, and the in form Crawley, a game we should really have got something from. In those 4 games, we have had to male private about with the defence, and we have conceded 11 goals.

In the other 6 games, we have won 2, drawn 4 and only conceded 3 goals. Unfortunately, 2 of those conceded goals were late ones that cost us 2 points in each game, against Walsall and Bradford, and both were harsh.

Get Maher back, and get Wilson up to speed, coupled with some more winnable fixtures coming up, and I reckon we will start to pick up more than the 1 point per game we have managed so far.

I'm sure there are plenty who will disagree with what I'm saying, and fair enough, but for me, there are plenty of signs of a decent side developing here and my usual stance is that the first 10 games of any season are just the bedding in period, and if after the next 10, we are still struggling to gain more than a point a game, then yes, the position of the manager will need to be looked at.

For now, I'm still optimistic, and I'm convinced we have a much better side now that isn't yet translating into results.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 125
pontoonlew
September 30, 2023, 7:14pm
Vodka Drinker

I agree with the stale part. Maybe it’s just this level of football but genuinely how often do you walk away from our games feeling genuinely entertained?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 125
MuddyWaters
September 30, 2023, 7:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker

The obvious improvement? Poor results and a continued lack of quality and entertainment is what’s on offer.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 125
September 30, 2023, 7:38pm
Guest User
The villagers have already decided Hurst is a witch. Thankfully the Witchfinder General is a thoughtful man and I doubt we’ll see Hurst burning at the stake this side of Christmas.
Reply: 21 - 125
lukeo
September 30, 2023, 7:41pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,377
Gold Stars: 148
First half they were the better side going forward, the extra over lapping runs through the middle as Auston dropped deep was killing us. 2nd half it was, in my opinion, all us except the 1 shot they scored and a possible penalty they probably should have had. We created a few chanced 2nd half and really should have stuck 1 or 2 away. Overall I feel a point a piece would have been a fair result but that's football for you.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 125
pontoonlew
September 30, 2023, 7:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Heard Hurst make a very good point and one missed on here so far, Swindon 100% should’ve had a red for the last man challenge
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 125
wuffing
September 30, 2023, 7:48pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +838
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from pontoonlew
Heard Hurst make a very good point and one missed on here so far, Swindon 100% should’ve had a red for the last man challenge

That was a red card all day long...

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 125
Mariner93er
September 30, 2023, 7:49pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,738
Gold Stars: 28
Quoted from pontoonlew

I agree with the stale part. Maybe it’s just this level of football but genuinely how often do you walk away from our games feeling genuinely entertained?

This is the thing for me now. I have traditionally been a Hurst fan. I appreciate the work rate he instills in teams, and it's rare (if ever) I'd question his team's effort. That used to be enough, but after a decade, I find myself increasingly craving more attacking football. I'm not expecting Barcelona or anything, but it would be nice to see more attacking intent. The only games were we ever create much is against the quite risky teams like Notts and Crawley, which we lost. It's very rare that our wins are anything other than tight and scrappy, which is clearly a byproduct of Hurst's approach.

I like Hurst and would get no pleasure from seeing him sacked - not least because it means someone's out of a job. From a footballing viewpoint, I'm becoming increasingly bored watching us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 125
cardiffmariner
September 30, 2023, 7:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew
Wilson’s goal was the most natural forward play I’ve seen in 2 seasons, promising it may be but it’s a reflection of just how toothless we’ve been.

Excellent point.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 125
Northbank Mariner
September 30, 2023, 7:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Mariner93er

This is the thing for me now. I have traditionally been a Hurst fan. I appreciate the work rate he instills in teams, and it's rare (if ever) I'd question his team's effort. That used to be enough, but after a decade, I find myself increasingly craving more attacking football. I'm not expecting Barcelona or anything, but it would be nice to see more attacking intent. The only games were we ever create much is against the quite risky teams like Notts and Crawley, which we lost. It's very rare that our wins are anything other than tight and scrappy, which is clearly a byproduct of Hurst's approach.

I like Hurst and would get no pleasure from seeing him sacked - not least because it means someone's out of a job. From a footballing viewpoint, I'm becoming increasingly bored watching us.

And I've just said on twitter, at some point the crowds will dwindle due to his boring, anti football approach, and I honestly think that will be the wake up call the board requires, as the product is devalued, only then will they react. Although I have put my neck on the block about Stockwood being ready to pull the plug on Hurst previously, even I'm doubting my source for that information now tbh.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 125
cardiffmariner
September 30, 2023, 8:02pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

The obvious improvement? Poor results and a continued lack of quality and entertainment is what’s on offer.

We can beg to differ but as far I'm concerned the summer signings are, on the whole, an improvement on what we had last season.

I also think that the obvious change in style (high press) is an evolution from last season, albeit one that hasn't yet (9 games guys!) transferred itself into more point on the board.

I've only seen 3 games so far (Salford, Bradford and today) and I'd say there's been some decent quality and entertainment. I thought today was a good match.

I totally get that too many of Hurst's games in charge have been poor on both fronts but I do think there are obvious efforts to improve on that this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 125
cardiffmariner
September 30, 2023, 8:06pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

And I've just said on twitter, at some point the crowds will dwindle due to his boring, anti football approach, and I honestly think that will be the wake up call the board requires, as the product is devalued, only then will they react. Although I have put my neck on the block about Stockwood being ready to pull the plug on Hurst previously, even I'm doubting my source for that information now tbh.

I take your point and share your frustration but you simply could not call today a 'boring, anti football approach'.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 125
MuddyWaters
September 30, 2023, 8:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker

We can beg to differ but as far I'm concerned the summer signings are, on the whole, an improvement on what we had last season.

I also think that the obvious change in style (high press) is an evolution from last season, albeit one that hasn't yet (9 games guys!) transferred itself into more point on the board.

I've only seen 3 games so far (Salford, Bradford and today) and I'd say there's been some decent quality and entertainment. I thought today was a good match.

I totally get that too many of Hurst's games in charge have been poor on both fronts but I do think there are obvious efforts to improve on that this season.

Conteh, Eisa, Rodgers and Rose are an undoubted improvement but we have no midfield runners to link the play and create an open play threat. Entertainment levels remain poor and 2 wins from 13 competitive games is surely not good enough. How long does he get a free ride because, although the parts seem better, the sum of the parts flatters to deceive.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 125
forza ivano
September 30, 2023, 8:15pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,208
Gold Stars: 265
My first time of seeing hem live this season. Main points
lot of people commenting who weren't actually at the game
it was a decent performance, as witnessed by the comments on here from those who were there, plus our slightly disappointing turnout of fans, stayed and applauded them - no boos or negativity.
Swindon were out on their feet at the final whistle - lying down, exhausted, which rather shows the pressure we put them under.
they were clinical with their finishing, we weren't
nobody had  a bad game, although nobody was particularly outstanding
Very impressed with Mullarkey & Rose. Thought Efete & Waterfall did well, given the previous criticisms
Didn't really think there was much difference in Clifton's level of performance compared to last season
thought we deserved a point; they were really rattled once we got 1 back
overall the quality of our play and players looked  a notch or 2 higher last season (but then the whole division may be the same)
Overall it looked like a good side against a decent mid table side
we looked at the table - 1 game so far versus the bottom 10, 8 against the top 8. It's been bloody tough
We are not  a bad side; suspect we won't be up there, but we are in no danger of a relegation battle
thought it was going to be awful, but came away much more enthused
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 125
MuddyWaters
September 30, 2023, 8:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano
it was a decent performance, as witnessed by the comments on here from those who were there, plus our slightly disappointing turnout of fans, stayed and applauded them - no boos or negativity.
Swindon were out on their feet at the final whistle - lying down, exhausted, which rather shows the pressure we put them under.
Very impressed with Mullarkey & Rose. Thought Efete & Waterfall did well, given the previous criticisms
Didn't really think there was much difference in Clifton's level of performance compared to last season
overall the quality of our play and players looked  a notch or 2 higher last season (but then the whole division may be the same)
we looked at the table - 1 game so far versus the bottom 10, 8 against the top 8. It's been bloody tough
We are not  a bad side; suspect we won't be up there, but we are in no danger of a relegation battle

And therein lies the problem. We’ve still not recruited the striker that would turn us into a good side. Mid table is the limit of our ambition.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 125
toontown
September 30, 2023, 8:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,280
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from MuddyWaters

And therein lies the problem. We’ve still not recruited the striker that would turn us into a good side. Mid table is the limit of our ambition.

We've not even recruited enough strikers - every season under Hurst mk2 we are a striker short and then have to to rectify it mid season. To do it for a 3rd time, after all the cup money, is really poor I'm afraid.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 125
Vance Warner
September 30, 2023, 8:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,810
Gold Stars: 102
No such thing as a rational response to a defeat these days. It is what it is - we played a top half team away from home without our best player and dominated for large spells but couldn’t convert our chances. No need to panic. Anyone who can’t see a change to our approach this season doesn’t understand football. Our other managers in the past 15 years are Newell, Woods, Bignot, Slade, Jolley and Holloway - which of those have provided more entertainment that Hurst?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 125
The Caterham Mariner
September 30, 2023, 9:12pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +92
Gold Stars: 8
Ok Swindon away
FOR ME my 1st game "With my own eyes!"  With 4 more to go see out the fixtures.
1st half mediocre = 1-0 down
Then 2nd half we went 2-0 down  OK  great to see PH chuck on 3 Subs ...straight away town exploded into life and we put a goal in!!
A possible draw was the possible outcome but no but yes the last 15 mins was a vast improvement on the first half...
Come on Town !!
UTM2023--24

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 125
Northbank Mariner
September 30, 2023, 9:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Vance Warner
No such thing as a rational response to a defeat these days. It is what it is - we played a top half team away from home without our best player and dominated for large spells but couldn’t convert our chances. No need to panic. Anyone who can’t see a change to our approach this season doesn’t understand football. Our other managers in the past 15 years are Newell, Woods, Bignot, Slade, Jolley and Holloway - which of those have provided more entertainment that Hurst?  

Holloway had us playing a lot better football than Hurst, unfortunately covid and a friends suicide did for him.
Anybody who can't see we are not progressing doesn't understand football, we are 19th in league 2, had 2 wins in 13 games abd dropped 12 points from winning positions this season, going great innit!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 125
Vance Warner
September 30, 2023, 9:21pm
Fine Wine Drinker

Holloway had us playing a lot better football than Hurst, unfortunately covid and a friends suicide did for him.
Anybody who can't see we are not progressing doesn't understand football, we are 19th in league 2, had 2 wins in 13 games abd dropped 12 points from winning positions this season, going great innit!!

Sorry but people who understand football don’t wet themselves about the league position after ten games when the style and quality of football has clearly improved
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 125
Hagrid
September 30, 2023, 9:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker

No he didnt. I’ve said this many times on here, the shortened covid season under him we were okay in parts, and dreadful in other games. Swindon at Home, Plymouth away, Even that Scunny game we won, lets not kid ourselves, we were poor. I completely disagree with you here
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 125
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
September 30, 2023, 9:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555

…what did for him was he was a c*nt and the only reason he was here in the first place was to try and cut some dodgy deal with Fenty. Once that plan was scuppered, he ran away like his own mouth.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 125
MuddyWaters
September 30, 2023, 9:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Vance Warner

Sorry but people who understand football don’t wet themselves about the league position after ten games when the style and quality of football has clearly improved

So what constitutes a crisis? I’d say two wins in 13 games is a cause for concern. I’m no more entertained now than I was last year.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 125
Gaffer58
September 30, 2023, 9:31pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
On the striker situation, or the lack of signing one, although we seem to have spent last season’s cup money, surprising what you get for a million quid, it would probably have been better to have one less squad man so that the additional money could have gone on a striker, if you pay them they will come. I know some people will say that paying someone more then the rest it can cause differences but if said striker is successful then the rest of the squad are happy as they get additional win bonuses.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 125
come_on_town
September 30, 2023, 9:32pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +165
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Mariner93er

Fully agree with your post. Last season at home we were truly urine-poor at home in the league. Luckily our away form and performances made the home games tolerable. Excitement at BP came in the cup games as we all know. The lads I sit with all jokingly questioned renewing the season tickets for yet another dull season.
I’ve said on previous posts we have improved in certain players/areas but as it stands our defensive game plan and a formation with one up top just doesn’t do the players any justice. No attacking coach to bring out the best of all attacking players was surely an area we needed to improve along with the squad in the summer. It’s going to be a long season, hopefully we’ll be fine….time will tell. UTM
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 125
HerveJosse
September 30, 2023, 9:33pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from MuddyWaters

So what constitutes a crisis? I’d say two wins in 13 games is a cause for concern. I’m no more entertained now than I was last year.

To that I would add again no clarity on what system we are playing or what our best 11 is particularly midfield.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 125
Vance Warner
September 30, 2023, 9:46pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Scunthorpe constitutes a crisis not narrowly losing away to a team 3rd in the league. If you’re not more entertained watching Elisa than Wearne, Rose than Taylor or Conteh than Morris then I feel for you.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 125
MuddyWaters
September 30, 2023, 9:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Vance Warner

Scunthorpe constitutes a crisis not narrowly losing away to a team 3rd in the league. If you’re not more entertained watching Elisa than Wearne, Rose than Taylor or Conteh than Morris then I feel for you.

Blimey! You’ve picked two players who rarely featured and and old crock (albeit a good one) as your comparison.

As I said previously, the individuals may be better but the team isn’t. It may come, I hope it does otherwise we’re looking at another relegation scrap. My concern is that I don’t see any leaders other than Niall Maher.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 125
Vance Warner
September 30, 2023, 9:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Blimey! You’ve picked two players who rarely featured and and old crock (albeit a good one) as your comparison.

As I said previously, the individuals may be better but the team isn’t. It may come, I hope it does otherwise we’re looking at another relegation scrap. My concern is that I don’t see any leaders other than Niall Maher.

From memory Morris and Taylor were playing regularly this time last year. Fair enough about Wearne but Eisa is an upgrade on Kiernan. I’m comfortable with Paul Hurst because he’s always improved us season by season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 125
Maringer
September 30, 2023, 10:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,560
Gold Stars: 185
Usual guys, usual hysteria.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 125
Poojah
September 30, 2023, 10:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,605
Gold Stars: 1,503
I’m fairly ambivalent about today’s result. I wasn’t remotely confident going into the game, what with key players unavailable for selection and the respective form of the two sides, and whilst my gut instinct might have been correct, the performance was respectable for the most part.

Again, basic lapses in concentration and a lack of composure in front of goal was our undoing, but I do feel these are resolvable issues in the longer-term; Wilson’s turn and finish offered a glimpse of what may be to come - a proper striker’s goal, that.

Ultimately, I think any talk of Hurst’s demise is premature. I’m far from content with recent results and our league position, and we’re well below where I thought and hoped we would be at this stage, but context is needed. In our first 10 games, we have managed to play the entire current top 6, and only 1 side currently lower than 14th in the table.

I said previously that Halloween would be a sensible milestone to make judgement, but 7 of our 9 next games are against Tranmere (23rd), Accrington (15th), Colchester (18th), Doncaster (21st), Morecambe (12th), Forest Green (22nd) and Sutton (24th). It’s almost the reverse of what we’ve faced thus far.

Whatever your take on Hurst at this juncture, the advantage we have is that he’s not an unknown quantity. We know he’ll have good runs and bad runs. We know he’ll frustrate with tactics and substitutions. We know the brand of football is more likely to be industrious than scintillating. But we also know that he tends to right the ship in time.

If we don’t see an improvement in results over the course of the next few weeks, then it’s inevitable questions will be asked. But I think, as of right now, it’s a considerably bigger gamble to dispense of Hursty than to keep him.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 125
Mappers
September 30, 2023, 10:44pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Poojah
I’m fairly ambivalent about today’s result. I wasn’t remotely confident going into the game, what with key players unavailable for selection and the respective form of the two sides, and whilst my gut instinct might have been correct, the performance was respectable for the most part.

Again, basic lapses in concentration and a lack of composure in front of goal was our undoing, but I do feel these are resolvable issues in the longer-term; Wilson’s turn and finish offered a glimpse of what may be to come - a proper striker’s goal, that.

Ultimately, I think any talk of Hurst’s demise is premature. I’m far from content with recent results and our league position, and we’re well below where I thought and hoped we would be at this stage, but context is needed. In our first 10 games, we have managed to play the entire current top 6, and only 1 side currently lower than 14th in the table.

I said previously that Halloween would be a sensible milestone to make judgement, but 7 of our 9 next games are against Tranmere (23rd), Accrington (15th), Colchester (18th), Doncaster (21st), Morecambe (12th), Forest Green (22nd) and Sutton (24th). It’s almost the reverse of what we’ve faced thus far.

Whatever your take on Hurst at this juncture, the advantage we have is that he’s not an unknown quantity. We know he’ll have good runs and bad runs. We know he’ll frustrate with tactics and substitutions. We know the brand of football is more likely to be industrious than scintillating. But we also know that he tends to right the ship in time.

If we don’t see an improvement in results over the course of the next few weeks, then it’s inevitable questions will be asked. But I think, as of right now, it’s a considerably bigger gamble to dispense of Hursty than to keep him.

The good runs are never that good ( we never won more than 2 on the bounce in the league last season ) .The bad runs are normally never that bad  (3 defeats on the bounce our worst run in the league )  .If we lose on Tuesday it would be the first time he has lost 4 games on the bounce in a league game since he came back for the second time , which i think just shows you what a  good solid ,yet unspectacular manager he is really .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 125
ska face
September 30, 2023, 11:18pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,664
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from Gaffer58
On the striker situation, or the lack of signing one, although we seem to have spent last season’s cup money, surprising what you get for a million quid, it would probably have been better to have one less squad man so that the additional money could have gone on a striker, if you pay them they will come. I know some people will say that paying someone more then the rest it can cause differences but if said striker is successful then the rest of the squad are happy as they get additional win bonuses.

*off topic coming post so scroll on if you’re after matchchat*

This is what I don’t quite get. We must have some money just sat there as we supposedly had three deals ready to be done on deadline day, all of which fell through. Two of those supposedly striker McNeil from Man Utd & Fleming the left-back from Hull, both now on loan in L1. No idea who the third supposedly was. Only the players know if it was money or playing up a league that made their minds up, but would be disappointing if we’re playing without a league-standard left-back for the sake of a few hundred quid.

We’ve gone & signed Ainley, so that’s money down the drain for a few months at least, but there’s got to be wages for two players sat gathering dust. Hursts’s said they’re already looking to January & next summer, so have to wait & see I suppose.

My main concern is whether we’re devaluing some of the players we’ve brought in. Conteh must’ve been seen as an investment and hopefully he continues to kick on & might make us a profit when he goes, but he needs support. Rogers too should be worth a few quid given his 3-year contract but needs to be playing in a settled back line. Eisa’s a worry as he’s only on a 1-year-deal & not sure if we’ve got an option on him. Was apparently rumoured to have had some interest in August but would be gutting if he went on a free. Clifton’s value must’ve fallen through the floor, not ideal for him or us being out of contract in the summer.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 125
davmariner
October 1, 2023, 12:30am
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 79
Must say that for me, today was Hunt’s last chance. I’d send him out on loan to the National League for the rest of the season if there’s a club that will have him.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 125
CSLM
October 1, 2023, 1:03am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +642
Gold Stars: 12
Interesting how many posts are almost 50/50 with the ticks/crosses.

I agree that if we don't get a few results against the supposed lesser teams then questions should be asked.

I definitely don't think we have "wasted" the cup money. We have some bloody good players who are worth a fair whack if anyone wants them anytime soon.

Really hope Wilson can kick on. Would love to see him and Rose start on Tuesday. Those 2 with Eisa and Khan could be a real threat. C'mon Paul, make the opposition worry about us for a change.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 125
Davec
October 1, 2023, 1:19am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from CSLM
Interesting how many posts are almost 50/50 with the ticks/crosses.

I agree that if we don't get a few results against the supposed lesser teams then questions should be asked.

I definitely don't think we have "wasted" the cup money. We have some bloody good players who are worth a fair whack if anyone wants them anytime soon.

Really hope Wilson can kick on. Would love to see him and Rose start on Tuesday. Those 2 with Eisa and Khan could be a real threat. C'mon Paul, make the opposition worry about us for a change.

With respect, the only player worth a fair whack would be Conteh, who else? As much as I rate Eisa and Rodgers one of them is 27 and the other nearly 27 so I seriously doubt any club would come in and give us decent money for either of them? If they was 5 years younger then yeah maybe, but they aren't
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 125
CSLM
October 1, 2023, 2:42am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Approval: +642
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Davec

With respect, the only player worth a fair whack would be Conteh, who else? As much as I rate Eisa and Rodgers one of them is 27 and the other nearly 27 so I seriously doubt any club would come in and give us decent money for either of them? If they was 5 years younger then yeah maybe, but they aren't

Fair point, before Wrexham I'd definitely say Rodgers and I still think he will be sought after. Him and Conteh could make that money back next year, possibly more.
Mullarkey is an interesting one to, could go either way.

Clearly there are positions that we really needed to improve and it didn't work as planned, that is fustrating.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 125
lukeo
October 1, 2023, 2:57am
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from forza ivano

100% this.I stayed behind today and the way we (the fans) reacted it was asif we got a result. We appreciated the effort the boys put in. On another day 1 of those big chances goes in and we walk away with atleast a point.
I had a few Swindon fans speak to me and the kids after the game commenting on how well they played and how they were lucky to win.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 125
Northbank Mariner
October 1, 2023, 6:36am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
Usual guys, usual hysteria.

And the same guys burying their head in the sand rather than face reality....
Crewe put 3 past Wrexham, Colchester put 4 past Notts, Sutton put 5 past Swindon...
For all those saying we've had a tough start, I'm not buying that, no game should be seen as "I'll take a draw" from team X, as seen above 3 of those teams have conceded 12 goals against other opposition, they've conceded 3 against us!!...
We've dropped 12 points from winning positions this season, won the grand total of 2 games out of the last 13, its simply not good enough, and if you're happy to accept that, that's your choice, but I know I certainly am not.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 125
denni266
October 1, 2023, 7:41am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132

Crewe put 3 past Wrexham, Colchester put 4 past Notts, Sutton put 5 past Swindon...
For all those saying we've had a tough start, I'm not buying that, no game should be seen as "I'll take a draw" from team X, as seen above 3 of those teams have conceded 12 goals against other opposition, they've conceded 3 against us!!...
We've dropped 12 points from winning positions this season, won the grand total of 2 games out of the last 13, its simply not good enough, and if you're happy to accept that, that's your choice, but I know I certainly am not.

Absolutley spot on .... And why cannot people see what is going on. Why do people just be happy with survival , And on two wins every 10 games aint going to achieve survival. He has wasted out little football fortune and we have gone backwards.. Listen to his interview after the game ,, He is lost struggled to find the words and what to say, He may be a safe pair of hands in none league but he is not a football league manager .Stop looking up the road and worrying about them, look at us take your blinkers off.. But no too many cannot see past their noses and when someone points out whats happining all the can do is call you from a pig to a dog and kiss hurst rear end .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 125
pontoonlew
October 1, 2023, 7:50am
Vodka Drinker
I also hear the words ‘he’ll turn it around’. What exactly turns around, a couple of wins followed by some more stale tactics, rinsed & repeated all season for a mid table finish. For Hurst to really ‘turn it around’ we need a fresh tactical approach, and I’d be absolutely stunned if that suddenly happened.

I also see the fact we’ve played most of the top 10, but if you keep gifting sides points early on in the season, then the chances are they’re going to find themselves above us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 125
lukeo
October 1, 2023, 8:05am
Season Ticket Holder
Calm down. Once we hit half way through the season I'll make 2 judgements. 1 based on performances (for me they're good so far) and results (not good). Until then I'll be supporting PH and the boys each game week and hoping the performances will start to turn results around.
Yesterday nearly everyone stayed after the final whistle to clap the lads off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 125
SpiritOf98
October 1, 2023, 8:27am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Approval: +281
Gold Stars: 6
Not much more to add other than a couple of things I saw. Yes Waterfall is starting to look like he's off the pace at times but for me the issue is that for both of their goals their guy just strolled through the middle with no one near him. Is this what to expect every time Conteh is missing?
The other thing is the lack of accuracy of the passing again. Their passing movement was so quick and precise, ours are so often underhit or half a yard wide of the intended target, you can almost count to 4 passes before the poor pass happens and we concede possession.
It sometimes looks like Hurst is constantly caught between 2, even 3 styles of play and we end up with a mish-mash of all of them, and Rose for me is being wasted in this approach.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 125
MuddyWaters
October 1, 2023, 8:42am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from SpiritOf98
Not much more to add other than a couple of things I saw. Yes Waterfall is starting to look like he's off the pace at times but for me the issue is that for both of their goals their guy just strolled through the middle with no one near him. Is this what to expect every time Conteh is missing?
The other thing is the lack of accuracy of the passing again. Their passing movement was so quick and precise, ours are so often underhit or half a yard wide of the intended target, you can almost count to 4 passes before the poor pass happens and we concede possession.
It sometimes looks like Hurst is constantly caught between 2, even 3 styles of play and we end up with a mish-mash of all of them, and Rose for me is being wasted in this approach.

It looks to me like we’ve recruited several decent players but are still searching for a way to fit them together. Rose is a great asset but we’re not getting any runners anywhere near him. Rodgers looks great (and confident) when Maher plays but not Waterfall. Conteh is another great signing but he spends too much time cleaning up after Clifton, Holohan and Hunt lose possession.

It can only be described as disjointed.
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 125
Rasen 17
October 1, 2023, 8:51am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Approval: +40
Gold Stars: 2
My husband , a Wiltshire lad is a Swindon fan and he and his mate's reaction to the game was that they were lucky to get 3 points "we've got away with one there" they think a draw was a fair reflection of the game and in the last 20 mins thought we would score and get the draw. I'm still optimistic that with Maher, Conteh and Wilson fully fit we can turn it round and agree Gav ahead of Hunt
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 125
Hagrid
October 1, 2023, 9:00am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

It looks to me like we’ve recruited several decent players but are still searching for a way to fit them together. Rose is a great asset but we’re not getting any runners anywhere near him. Rodgers looks great (and confident) when Maher plays but not Waterfall. Conteh is another great signing but he spends too much time cleaning up after Clifton, Holohan and Hunt lose possession.

It can only be described as disjointed.

We must get some support up to Rose absolutely, we looked a much better side yesterday when we went 2 up top and brought Gav on
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 125
golfer
October 1, 2023, 9:07am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,445
Gold Stars: 116
Holohan should be one of the players named first on the team sheet
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 125
moosey_club
October 1, 2023, 9:18am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,268
Gold Stars: 226
Basic premise of football...

Score more than your opposition to win the game.

Facts hindering that;
1.We struggle to keep a clean sheet
2.We have minimal attempts on target in a game
3.Our chance conversion rate is poor

Items 2 & 3 need the attention. As the squad is now the squad , until January, we need to swap the approach / system to either increase item 2 enough by at least 100% to compensate for the misses......or hope that Wilson comes in and can massively increase Item 3.

Personally I would prefer Wilson to come in alongside Rose and see what two up front can produce as Alex Rodman said a few times yesterday Rose looked pretty dejected , isolated  on his own with poor service.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 125
Dodorondon
October 1, 2023, 9:21am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Approval: -31
Gold Stars: 6
Would be interested to know from others how we fit Rose and Wilson together. Do we go 442 like so many of Hurst’s previous teams, with one winger and the other wide man in a narrower role. If we stick to 4141 with Rose behind Wilson, or vice versa, who drops out of midfield? Any thoughts?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 125
lew chaterleys lover
October 1, 2023, 9:21am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,731
Gold Stars: 237
Despite all the fanfare when we signed them the players haven't been good enough. Hurst wanted to play a more expansive game with better players but they are not good enough to play like that.

Eisa has been good by virtue of his individual brilliance and Conteh for his Interceptions but after that?

He will have to change to two up top and adjust the system because we haven't got the passing the fluidity or pace to play as he wants.
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 125
October 1, 2023, 9:26am
Brandy Drinker
Four of the last five goals we’ve conceded have been caused by midfielders not tracking their runners and defenders not spotting the danger and shifting across to cover to protect our goal.

I know Hurst signed these players. I know he trains them every week. But the players have to take some responsibility themselves.

Swindon’s first goal - how can Efete not realise there is a massive gap between him and Rodgers? I know the two of them are playing out of position but it’s basics. Why has no midfielder followed the runner - again!

The second goal - yes, I know Waterfall’s turned slowly and what pace he has appears to have disappeared. But why has our midfield just allowed Cain to stand 10 yards behind them. Why aren’t Rodgers and Efete covering Waterfall when they know he’s short of pace and they can see there is a midfield runner?

They had a warning in the first half when Andrews got caught the wrong side of Cain and there was a huge gap between our non-existent midfield and our defence.

I realise Maher and Conteh missing is huge. But the same thing happened last week when Holohan couldn’t be arsëd tracking his man or bothering to run back (twice).

All this talk of our problems upfront - it’s our defensive work in midfield that’s worrying me more.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 125
BobbyCummingsTackle
October 1, 2023, 9:31am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,280
Gold Stars: 306
Another point about yesterday.

`Hurst doesn`t use subs and can`t change a game the way other managers do against us`

He brought on 3 together yesterday, switched the formation and took the game to them. He made the last quarter very difficult for Swindon.

I left the ground very frustrated that we didn`t get the draw.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 125
BobbyCummingsTackle
October 1, 2023, 9:35am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,280
Gold Stars: 306
Four of the last five goals we’ve conceded have been caused by midfielders not tracking their runners and defenders not spotting the danger and shifting across to cover to protect our goal.

I know Hurst signed these players. I know he trains them every week. But the players have to take some responsibility themselves.

Swindon’s first goal - how can Efete not realise there is a massive gap between him and Rodgers? I know the two of them are playing out of position but it’s basics. Why has no midfielder followed the runner - again!

The second goal - yes, I know Waterfall’s turned slowly and what pace he has appears to have disappeared. But why has our midfield just allowed Cain to stand 10 yards behind them. Why aren’t Rodgers and Efete covering Waterfall when they know he’s short of pace and they can see there is a midfield runner?

They had a warning in the first half when Andrews got caught the wrong side of Cain and there was a huge gap between our non-existent midfield and our defence.

I realise Maher and Conteh missing is huge. But the same thing happened last week when Holohan couldn’t be arsëd tracking his man or bothering to run back (twice).

All this talk of our problems upfront - it’s our defensive work in midfield that’s worrying me more.

100% agree. Swindon had huge amounts of space in midfield and very little challenge when they were on the ball.

I know Holohan isn`t everyone`s cup of tea but he does some of the grunt work here to close down space and get a challenge in.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 125
October 1, 2023, 9:42am
Guest User
Quoted from denni266

Absolutley spot on .... And why cannot people see what is going on. Why do people just be happy with survival , And on two wins every 10 games aint going to achieve survival. He has wasted out little football fortune and we have gone backwards.. Listen to his interview after the game ,, He is lost struggled to find the words and what to say, He may be a safe pair of hands in none league but he is not a football league manager .Stop looking up the road and worrying about them, look at us take your blinkers off.. But no too many cannot see past their noses and when someone points out whats happining all the can do is call you from a pig to a dog and kiss hurst rear end .

Says the football expert.............

Reply: 71 - 125
October 1, 2023, 10:29am
Brandy Drinker

100% agree. Swindon had huge amounts of space in midfield and very little challenge when they were on the ball.

I know Holohan isn`t everyone`s cup of tea but he does some of the grunt work here to close down space and get a challenge in.

Apart from last week, which is why Hurst dropped him 😊
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 125
Trevor Whymark
October 1, 2023, 10:47am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +15
Gold Stars: 9
Speaking to Swindon fans they said they were hoping for final whistle it was to tense for them Grimisby played well  should have come out with the points the pressures  of football .Be carefully what we wish for  Holloway comes to mind We playing football a few injuries but those last away games  of seen notts county Bradford Swindon  Even wrexham to a point   our football just needs a finish how missed those goalmouth scambles  at Swindon  look different team with Rose playing
Totally different love them hate them good to get a drummer always keeps spirts up  maybe we could Pyke to do it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 125
GollyGTFC
October 1, 2023, 10:49am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,972
Gold Stars: 356
We've been worked out. Everyone in the division knows how to beat us. Outnumber us in central midfield which forces our wingers back and nullifies them to a big extent and leaves Rose isolated.

I was convinced during pre-season that we would line up in a 4-3-3 / 4-1-4-1 with an anchor (Conteh) in central midfield and a player either side of them. To 4-2-3-1 formation we are attempting to play is useless because we get overrun in central midfield than exposes our centre-backs and also because we don't have anyone to play in the number 10 role who is anywhere near competent enough to play that role.

I go to football in the hope that we play well and win matches. But more important than that is that I am entertained. The truth is this season the football has been turgid and entertainment almost non-existent.

And people are rightly asking serious question about whether PH can take us where we want to go. We can all accept poor form and defeats as long as we can see signs of improvement and see where we are heading and that their is a footballing plan to take us forward.

But the recruitment has been patchy. We are still weak in central midfield despite having one of the very best in the division at our disposal and there is a serious lack of goals in the team. And then there's the goalkeeper issue, We have 2 great prospects who will have very good careers, but neither are at the level of Crocombe at the monent even if both will end up having better careers than him.

Most successful teams having a solid spine. We have glaring weaknesses all over our spine.

This could be a very long season spent looking over our shoulders worrying about the bottom 2 team only being 8-10 behind us.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 74 - 125
denni266
October 1, 2023, 11:16am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132
Quoted from 123614

Says the football expert.............

Well thanks for that . I try my best . One think for sure is the way things are  they are not working are they ??????
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 125
Nutsy
October 1, 2023, 11:17am
Lager Top Drinker
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +139
Gold Stars: 5
I really think we need two up top. I am not a traditionalist by any means, but Conteh and Holohan with Clifton and Eisa out wide will prevent us getting run ragged in midfield and also help in attack and defence.

Wilson and Rose up top would help create something and test defences
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 125
Rick12
October 1, 2023, 11:19am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
I'd get off social media then. It's just toxic. Pure negativity.

You can say that again mate. Across the board though on online social media . Some give it Billy big Bollox yet in real life have balls the size of peanuts.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 125
ginnywings
October 1, 2023, 12:02pm

Recovering Alcoholic

Wrexham were down to 10 men early, but still managed a draw. Colchester actually scored 5, but conceded 4, so tight game, and Swindon never conceded 5 against Sutton as they are unbeaten all season.

We have had a tough start; that can't be denied.

On your last point, that you are not going to accept it. What are you going to do other than accept it? I'm curious. Yourself and Denni seem to think that other fans are happy with the way things are going, but we're not. This happy clapper bollox is just that; bollox.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 125
October 1, 2023, 12:05pm
Guest User
Quoted from denni266

Well thanks for that . I try my best . One think for sure is the way things are  they are not working are they ??????

No they are not, but I prefer to reserve my opinion on our Manager till the end of the season, not 10 games in.

Reply: 79 - 125
GrimPol
October 1, 2023, 12:07pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from denni266

Correct.  
Reminds me of the old surgeon joke, when asked how the operation went. His reply was it was textbook, the sutures were neat, no complications, and the rest of the team did everything right, I was satisfied with this perfect operation.
Unfortunately, the patient died.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 125
lukeo
October 1, 2023, 12:56pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from Dodorondon
Would be interested to know from others how we fit Rose and Wilson together. Do we go 442 like so many of Hurst’s previous teams, with one winger and the other wide man in a narrower role. If we stick to 4141 with Rose behind Wilson, or vice versa, who drops out of midfield? Any thoughts?

For me... flat back 4. 2 semi sitting. Rose close behind Wilson with Khan and Eisa out wide as high up as the other 2.
Watching the way Wilson and Rose played yesterday, Rose has vision and can hold it up etc. Whereas Wilson looked more direct. I'd love to see us do what we did 2nd half yesterday and commit more men forward.
2 cdms
1 cam (Rose but really close up to Wilson)
3 - 2 wide men with Wilson central.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 125
Kris2
October 1, 2023, 1:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from denni266

It's hard to take your opinions objectively when you've had it in for Hurst for years now and was furious about him returning. Did he make you mad when he said the fans are "spoiled" being a big team in the NL? Does it still hurt that he didn't get down on his knees and tell you how good you are for buying a ticket? Holloway and Jolley did that and they were excrement managers.

If we are going on football expertise, I got my town team promoted to the championship as champions of L1 in FM so maybe I should take the job instead of Hurst since I clearly know more about football management and running a successful team than he does.  
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 125
FishySmithy
October 1, 2023, 1:43pm
Shandy Drinker
Approval: +36
Gold Stars: 3
Again unpopular opinion Clifton gets an easy ride as he is one of our own, he is massively overrated and his first touch and passing is shocking makes up for lack of quality with effort and endurance. Would like to see a side without him in it for a while at some point.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 125
ska face
October 1, 2023, 1:58pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GrimPol

Correct.  
Reminds me of the old surgeon joke, when asked how the operation went. His reply was it was textbook, the sutures were neat, no complications, and the rest of the team did everything right, I was satisfied with this perfect operation.
Unfortunately, the patient died.

I wouldn’t open with it…
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 125
Northbank Mariner
October 1, 2023, 2:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Wrexham were down to 10 men early, but still managed a draw. Colchester actually scored 5, but conceded 4, so tight game, and Swindon never conceded 5 against Sutton as they are unbeaten all season.

We have had a tough start; that can't be denied.

On your last point, that you are not going to accept it. What are you going to do other than accept it? I'm curious. Yourself and Denni seem to think that other fans are happy with the way things are going, but we're not. This happy clapper bollox is just that; bollox.

Yeah, sorry it was actually 3, although Wrexham put 5 past them, which proves my point even more, we are f@cking useless in front of goal!!...
I'll tell you what, I'll just sit there and go "oh well, never mind, we only lost again, always next week" or i can show some passion from the stands and let those at the club know I'm not happy.

Have I called anybody, or even used the term "happy clapper"?...
I've supported this club for 50 years, through thick, thin and mud, and I will continue to do so, and I will always show passion, be that berating them when they are sh!te or applauding when we play well...what I won't to do is just turn up abd watch the game like I'm wearing a mask, sat on my hands with my tongue tied!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 125
ginnywings
October 1, 2023, 3:04pm

Recovering Alcoholic

Yeah, sorry it was actually 3, although Wrexham put 5 past them, which proves my point even more, we are f@cking useless in front of goal!!...
I'll tell you what, I'll just sit there and go "oh well, never mind, we only lost again, always next week" or i can show some passion from the stands and let those at the club know I'm not happy.

I've supported this club for 50 years, through thick, thin and mud, and I will continue to do so, and I will always show passion, be that berating them when they are sh!te or applauding when we play well...what I won't to do is just turn up abd watch the game like I'm wearing a mask, sat on my hands with my tongue tied!!

This is my 52nd season, so I've been right there with you.

Whether you scream and shout like you, or sit and watch stoically like me, the outcomes are the same.

All we can do as fans is support the team and hope the board and manager get it right, and for me, they haven't got it wrong enough, for long enough as yet to warrant a change of manager or direction.

You feel differently and that is your prerogative, but because some of us don't jump up and down and demand changes, doesn't mean we are saps who are happy with where we are.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 125
golfer
October 1, 2023, 5:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,445
Gold Stars: 116
Despite all the fanfare when we signed them the players haven't been good enough. Hurst wanted to play a more expansive game with better players but they are not good enough to play like that.

Eisa has been good by virtue of his individual brilliance and Conteh for his Interceptions but after that?

He will have to change to two up top and adjust the system because we haven't got the passing the fluidity or pace to play as he wants.

How on earth did this post get 12 red x's for stating the obvious. Have the players been good enough ?  You don't get a banquet fit for a king if the cooks are shite no matter how good the maitre d is
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 125
lew chaterleys lover
October 1, 2023, 6:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from golfer

How on earth did this post get 12 red x's for stating the obvious. Have the players been good enough ?  You don't get a banquet fit for a king if the cooks are shite no matter how good the maitre d is

Hear! Hear!

It's obviously not a popular opinion and perhaps some of the signings might show more in a different set up, but I can't see a discernable improvement apart from on paper.

We didn't see anything from Vernam when he was fit. Pyke I don't think we will see much of in the striker role he was bought for, goalkeeper certainly no better than Crocome, Arthur G not sure of a place, Mullarkey OK and Rodgers, Rose completely isolated and playing a role he is unsuited for (not his fault).

It may all click in which case I will comment on that but apart from Conteh and Eisa the rest have been average so far.

Private Message
Reply: 88 - 125
Mappers
October 1, 2023, 7:41pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

This is my 52nd season, so I've been right there with you.

Whether you scream and shout like you, or sit and watch stoically like me, the outcomes are the same.

All we can do as fans is support the team and hope the board and manager get it right, and for me, they haven't got it wrong enough, for long enough as yet to warrant a change of manager or direction.

You feel differently and that is your prerogative, but because some of us don't jump up and down and demand changes, doesn't mean we are saps who are happy with where we are.

My first season (that I remember properly ) was 89-90 , that and the following season were our last 2 automatic promotions - I don't think wanting / expecting a third one in 35 years is too much of an ask - I expect one in division 4 within the next 3 or 4 years if we don't make it up via the play-offs somehow .

Feel like we have the capability to compete at league 1 level ,even if it's as a lower to mid end team - I would be delighted with that and would not have anymore major expectations as we stand now .

We have been in division 4 and 5 for the majority of the last 20 years , division 3 for the next 10 would do me .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 125
It Bites
October 1, 2023, 7:54pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,222
Quoted from FishySmithy
Again unpopular opinion Clifton gets an easy ride as he is one of our own, he is massively overrated and his first touch and passing is shocking makes up for lack of quality with effort and endurance. Would like to see a side without him in it for a while at some point.

He’s basically turned into Luke Summerfield
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 125
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 1, 2023, 9:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,696
Quoted from It Bites

He’s basically turned into Luke Summerfield

Bit of an insult to Summerfield
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 125
AncientExiledMariner
October 2, 2023, 3:41am
Snakebite drinker

"I've supported this club for 50 years, through thick, thin and mud" "berating them when they are sh!te"

Definition: Support

"To bear the weight of, especially from below; keep from falling, sinking, or slipping."

"To bear or hold up (an amount of weight)."

"To keep from weakening or failing; give confidence or comfort to."

Which one of those definitions are you doing there? Is that berating building up players confidence when they're not at their best or mess up?

Players are human and jumping on their back when they intercourse up doesn't help. It just makes people more risk averse.

You'd be better off being quite that dragging the team down.

Support through thick and thin, and average. We all get emotional, but some of us can show restraint rather than yelling at young lads doing their best.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 125
AncientExiledMariner
October 2, 2023, 3:44am
Snakebite drinker
On the topic of Clifton. He's clearly not in form. Hurst has to decide whether the other options are better. Ultimately, he doesn't feel that is the case and the off the ball work give more than the on the ball errors. Harry is still the same player, and he'll get back to last seasons quality. He just needs time and encouragement.

Do we really think he wants to miss those opportunities? He'll be mortified.

The thing about Clifton, is he gets these chances because he doesn't stop running, doesn't stop moving and he's the guy who made it into the box to get that opportunity. Maybe other players might execute it better, but they gotta get on the end of it first.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 125
MuddyWaters
October 2, 2023, 6:40am
Barley Wine Drinker

"I've supported this club for 50 years, through thick, thin and mud" "berating them when they are sh!te"

Definition: Support

"To bear the weight of, especially from below; keep from falling, sinking, or slipping."

"To bear or hold up (an amount of weight)."

"To keep from weakening or failing; give confidence or comfort to."

Which one of those definitions are you doing there? Is that berating building up players confidence when they're not at their best or mess up?

Players are human and jumping on their back when they intercourse up doesn't help. It just makes people more risk averse.

You'd be better off being quite that dragging the team down.

Support through thick and thin, and average. We all get emotional, but some of us can show restraint rather than yelling at young lads doing their best.

You might want to remember that when certain players are always dropped after one game while others get umpteen chances.
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 125
fishcake63
October 2, 2023, 6:42am
Table Wine Drinker
good point 👆
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 125
GollyGTFC
October 2, 2023, 7:59am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,972
Gold Stars: 356
On the topic of Clifton. He's clearly not in form. Hurst has to decide whether the other options are better. Ultimately, he doesn't feel that is the case and the off the ball work give more than the on the ball errors. Harry is still the same player, and he'll get back to last seasons quality. He just needs time and encouragement.

The thing about Clifton, is he gets these chances because he doesn't stop running, doesn't stop moving and he's the guy who made it into the box to get that opportunity. Maybe other players might execute it better, but they gotta get on the end of it first.

Harry has never been particularly good at many facets of midfield play that other posters have mentioned. His strengths are his energy and the goals he’s can provide from midfield.

Obviously we need players in around him who cover for his weaknesses as he would probably cover for theirs in return. We don’t have that. We have a very similar player to Clifton in terms of energy and being able to pop up with a few goals (Holohan) but who has the same flaws in their game as Harry does.

That’s not Harry or Gavan’s fault. Blame the person who has consistently picked a midfield with only 1 player who has a good range of passing, excellent decision making and who protects the ball well and doesn’t squander possession easily.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 96 - 125
chaos33
October 2, 2023, 9:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Bit of an insult to Summerfield

I mean, you and It Bites with this derision of Clifton. It’s odd.
I’m not arguing your right to an opinion but really; Clifton hasn’t started the season ‘producing’ as much as he has done so magnificently for us in the last few seasons, but he’s still a great player and has given us so much. He will come good again soon and he absolutely gives 100% for 90 mins every week. That’s good enough for me, even if I think he might or should lose his place on current form. Can’t we keep it calm and rational?  

We’re not that far off. I think we need to play at least some games with two strikers and change shape. There are others that need to raise their game and cut out the mistakes, sharpish. Nobody likes the results, the stats or the league position. It’s not good enough. We need to support the team but expect and push for better. I’m starting to think that those handful of posters who have got themselves into an angry and entitled, pant wetting pickle need to get a grip, take a proper look at how tough and competitive this division is, remember what football and the world in general is  like and crack on. You have a divine right to f**k all in life…so we might as well remember that and dig in.
UTM

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 125
lew chaterleys lover
October 2, 2023, 9:34am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

I’m not arguing your right to an opinion but really; Clifton hasn’t started the season ‘producing’ as much as he has done so magnificently for us in the last few seasons, but he’s still a great player and has given us so much. He will come good again soon and he absolutely gives 100% for 90 mins every week. That’s good enough for me, even if I think he might or should lose his place on current form. Can’t we keep it calm and rational?  

We’re not that far off. I think we need to play at least some games with two strikers and change shape. There are others that need to raise their game and cut out the mistakes, sharpish. Nobody likes the results, the stats or the league position. It’s not good enough. We need to support the team but expect and push for better. I’m starting to think that those handful of posters who have got themselves into an angry and entitled, pant wetting pickle need to get a grip, take a proper look at how tough and competitive this division is, remember what football and the world in general is  like and crack on. You have a divine right to f**k all in life…so we might as well remember that and dig in.
UTM

I would play him out wide. He is not the type of player you would expect out there but he is strangely effective and has both created and scored goals from that position before.

The midfield balance isn't right at all as we are both too open and not creating enough. Hope to see Wilson with Rose tomorrow night to give the midfield half a chance of finding a pass to hurt the opposition and to give the two wide players greater options.
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 125
MuddyWaters
October 2, 2023, 9:43am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

UTM

Serious question. Are you going 4-4-2 or 3-5-2?

Wrexham away showed that Waterfall isn’t right in a 3. If you go 4-4-2, where do Eisa and Khan fit as I don’t really trust either to cover a full back.

I firmly believe that we intended to play 4-2-3-1 but the 3 have failed to support the 1 and neither of our left back options are good enough so the three end up too deep. Rose has been pretty isolated every time we play and, but for some Eisa worldies, we would be in a worse position than we are now.

That’s not angry or entitled or pant wetting, it’s what’s happening.
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 125
Mappers
October 2, 2023, 10:04am
Champagne Drinker
I don't think he's been that much different from last season , he's been ok for me in the main .

He has a lot better goal output from the left , but we have our most effective playet there, so he's not getting a game there unless Eisa gets injured  - he's never looked consistently brilliant in CM when he's played there ever really has he .

Ironically Glennon and Clifton was the 2 positions I thought were boxed off at the end of last season as I thought it was a decent combination with Clifton's ability to protect Glennon's obvious defensive deficiency .

But we signed Eisa who has been great , and Glennon got torched at Notts .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 125
chaos33
October 2, 2023, 10:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Serious question. Are you going 4-4-2 or 3-5-2?

Wrexham away showed that Waterfall isn’t right in a 3. If you go 4-4-2, where do Eisa and Khan fit as I don’t really trust either to cover a full back.

I firmly believe that we intended to play 4-2-3-1 but the 3 have failed to support the 1 and neither of our left back options are good enough so the three end up too deep. Rose has been pretty isolated every time we play and, but for some Eisa worldies, we would be in a worse position than we are now.

That’s not angry or entitled or pant wetting, it’s what’s happening.

Tough one. Home to Barrow Tuesday night so I’d like to see us go with two up front, especially as they often go 5-3-2. If we matched them up it would be hard to say who we should sacrifice. I don’t really like going 5 at the back in the home games like this so I might go 4-3-1-2/4-3-3. Amos would be left back. Mullarkey right. I’d have Conteh, Holahan and Clifton as the 3 with Eisa cutting in off either wing and Rose and Wilson if he’s fit enough. Obviously that’s an opinion that’s not worth much given all the factors I know nothing about.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 125
kafunanapar140909
October 2, 2023, 12:04pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +575
Gold Stars: 50

I would play him out wide. He is not the type of player you would expect out there but he is strangely effective and has both created and scored goals from that position before.

The midfield balance isn't right at all as we are both too open and not creating enough. Hope to see Wilson with Rose tomorrow night to give the midfield half a chance of finding a pass to hurt the opposition and to give the two wide players greater options.

Totally agree. At LM, in that not-quite-a-proper-winger role that Hurst made for him, he was able to fully exploit his greatest asset (his energy) and often managed to pop up in really dangerous positions through sheer hard running. Ok, his finishing leaves a little to be desired but if he gets himself in and around the six-yard box enough he might chip in 8-9 goals a season, which is nothing to be sniffed at.  

On paper, with his running, defensive reliability and ability to chip in with the odd goal, he's an ideal Hurst-type wide man in a 4-4-2/4-2-3-1-type formation. In a 4-3-3 it doesn't feel like he's a natural fit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 125
paulmblythe
October 2, 2023, 12:30pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +116
Gold Stars: 2

i havent watched it back but from where i was sat centrally in the pontoon the glaring miss people have commented on in the last home game from clifton was to me a much harder chance than what people made out at the time. He  wasnt one on one with the keeper straight on. The trajectory of the ball and the defender coming across to cover the angle was sharper than that and he only had a small window to get his shot through and avoid the keeper. its a shot id expect a league 2 midfielder not to score from more times than they put it away
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 125
ska face
October 2, 2023, 12:38pm

Vodka Drinker
Clifton’s end-product would be better if he played down the right because he isn’t good enough on his left foot, both shooting and especially crossing. Watch the extended highlights from Saturday for one perfect example - he gets played in down the left, got half an option on in the middle but smashes it high & wide when on his right foot that goes across the 6-yard box. Been the same for about 3 years now.
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 125
diehardmariner
October 2, 2023, 1:35pm
Vodka Drinker
I think he gets used more on the left because of what he offers defensively to protect what is proving to be a weaker side of ours.

I've always previously thought he needs to played centrally and I do still think that is his best position (current form, which is what I'm certain it is, accepted).  But for the protection of the flank and the overload he gives you when he drifts inside a bit, I certainly can see why he has found himself shunted out wide for so much especially in a 4-4-2.  I also think he'll be there for Saturday too with a return to two strikers.
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 125
DaleH
October 2, 2023, 1:51pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Approval: +816
Gold Stars: 168
I'm just wondering what the issue was with Amos and Glennon being on the bench on Saturday. They are our only two left sided full backs, and I've been fairly comfortable certainly with how Amos has played this season. Has there been any mention anywhere at all, that one or both of them weren't fully fit?

I'm just a fan of having round pegs in round holes, and I think it is noticeable that often when getting forward down the left, Miche has to stop and bring the ball back or inside, because he's limited with not having a strong left foot cross or pass.

I'd be interested to know if it's been discussed anywhere in terms of fitness of the LBs

Time to resurrect my Fishy signature again. So here goes.

"BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 125
forza ivano
October 2, 2023, 1:59pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,208

I don't often agree with you, but on Harry I was nodding my head reading this. Thought the best I saw from HC was when he was left midfield. Incidentally the 2 times I've seen Harry this season I haven't noticed much difference to what I saw last year, bar he hasn't scored. It maybe he's 5 or 10% below last season's standards, but I didn't see him do too much wrong on Saturday

FAO DALE H - Hurst said that their right winger was a handful, and he felt that Michee was the most athletic of his options and the best person to deal with that threat. He did well, I thought
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 125
gtfc_chris
October 2, 2023, 2:19pm
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,465
Gold Stars: 114
Quoted from MuddyWaters

https://www.11v11.com/teams/mansfield-town/tab/leagueTables/05-october-2021/

https://www.11v11.com/teams/mansfield-town/tab/leagueTables/19-may-2022/

https://theathletic.com/football/game/grimsby-town-vs-swindon-town/uNnah983wc2pvsC6/ - Grimsby have 13 shots as opposed to Swindons 8, with 9 chances created to the home sides 8.

https://theathletic.com/football/game/crawley-town-vs-grimsby-town/AsZFPNFcrDbLhdg4/  - Grimsby have 18 shots compared to Crawleys 13, with 13 chances created to the away sides 9.

https://theathletic.com/football/game/grimsby-town-vs-wrexham/c8rwv9vhFXJCubjl/ - Wrexham dominate the chances/shots stats as Grimsby dominate possession.

https://theathletic.com/football/game/bradford-city-vs-grimsby-town/D1SX9SCHXSa7VfHh/ - Bradford surprisingly have more possession & more shots, Grimsby more chances on target. Grimsby win on xG

https://theathletic.com/football/game/gillingham-vs-grimsby-town/YHQvWg3no6u1Qucl/ - Grimsby dominate everything against Gillingham.

https://theathletic.com/football/game/grimsby-town-vs-walsall/FNq4ItHBCOUkdLx6/ - Walsall take the attacking stats, Grimsby dominate possession.

https://theathletic.com/football/game/grimsby-town-vs-mansfield-town/5b8N2Ig3xb9nnJ55/ - Grimsby outclassed in every department against Mansfield.

https://theathletic.com/football/game/grimsby-town-vs-salford-city/fqpMsmfo5dACZC1r/ - Grimsby shade all stats bar chances created, creating 5 more than Salford.

https://theathletic.com/football/game/grimsby-town-vs-notts-county/CaNySw9xAtAd3aek/ - Notts Co dominate possession and shots on target, with shots and chances created slightly more.

https://theathletic.com/football/game/afc-wimbledon-vs-grimsby-town/vH5xC3htZWMP42rY/ - Grimsby dominate possession and lead on attacking stats, with a penalty upping Wimbledons xG to beat Towns.

We have had 113 shots this season with 34 of them being on target giving us a 30% accuracy rate. Compare this to 118 shots against with 42 on target, giving a 33.05% overall accuracy rating for our combined opponents. Clearly behind but not by a substantial margin. We've created 85 chances compared to 86 chances against so again no difference. We've won 51 corners and conceded 61 corners. Our possession on average is 50.73%.

We sit 17th for total shots over the season with 113. Wrexham and Mansfield (181) lead the way with Barrow (84) sat bottom. Of the teams in the top twelve for shots, we've played six of them, drawing two and losing four. Of the teams we've played in the bottom twelve we haven't lost, winning two and drawing two. The top four for shots are Wrexham, Mansfield, Wimbledon & Crawley with Swindon and Notts Co sitting 9th and 10th respectively.

When you look more closely at Shots on Target (SOT), We've played seven of the top twelve. In order; Wrexham (71), Mansfield (54), Wimbledon (53), Swindon (53), Crawley (50), Colchester (48 ), Notts Co (48 ), Crewe (46), Accrington (44), Doncaster (44), Newport (43), Bradford (42). Our own record is a bit more bleak for SOT, sitting 20th in the table on 34  with only Salford (33), Morecambe (33) and Barrow (27) behind us.

We sit 8th in the league for goals per shots on target with 0.35 goals per SOT, but 12th for goals per shots. So despite not having a great deal of shots on target, we tend to score more from them than other teams.

Defensively we sit 8th on goals conceded (13) with Gillingham, Mansfield and Barrow out in front on eight. We also sit 8th in terms of shots against (118 ) with Wrexham on top (95) and Crewe bottom (161). The other eleven teams in the top twelve are (in order); Wrexham, Wimbledon, Bradford, Mansfield, Crawley, Gillingham, Barrow - US - Newport, Notts Co, Swindon, MK Dons. Despite having the lowest shots against, Wrexham have the second worst goals conceded column, conceding 23 goals from 39 SOT.

SOT(Against) per 90 we sit 10th in the table with 4.20 per game with Bradford (2.60) on top and FGR (5.80) bottom. Similar to above, we've played seven of the other top eleven teams, with Crawley dropping to 17th for SOT(A). Barrow are 4th in the table for SOT(A), with 3.33 per game.

In terms of possession, we sit 9th, with 50.7% on average. The top 12 consists of: Notts Co (63.9), Swindon, Mansfield, Crawley, Salford, Bradford, Stockport, FGR, Grimsby, Doncaster, Wrexham, Crewe.

Let's place this into some focus. Wimbledon, Wrexham, Bradford, Mansfield, Crawley, Notts Co and Swindon all feature in the top 12 teams defensively, offensively and for possession statistics. So seven of our opening ten fixtures have been against teams that are proficient at both ends of the pitch and - with the exception of Wrexham (49.7) average over 50% possession. The remaining three games against sides who don't feature in all three fields - Gillingham, Salford and Walsall - we haven't lost against.

Our lowest possession statistics have come against the three teams sitting top of that list.

We're in the top 10 defensively even with three games in which we've conceded 3 goals. 11 of our 14 goals conceded came in the four games in which we've played the sides to have scored 20+ goals this season.

Attacking wise we've only failed to score twice, against Wimbledon (second best defensive record) and Wrexham (second worst defensive record). The Wrexham game for me is the biggest outlier in terms of trends and was the game we missed Danny Rose and I think it showed. That isn't to suggest I think we'd have won or drawn with Rose in the team but his industry up front would - in my opinion - been more beneficial for us than what Pyke offered.

Why would I consider this important and post-worthy? There's a growing voice that says PH should be sacked because we're not doing well enough. Yet no-one is looking at the facts of the opening 10 games and how teams are doing and placing things into context. I'd seen a comment somewhere that the more we drop down, every team will be above us, which of course is true and therefore isn't an argument you can really use about the difficulty of our fixtures.

We watch each game in isolation and get frustrated that we don't win. Understandable, we all want to and that's what the game is about. But seven of our 10 fixtures are against statistically the better teams of the opening 10 games. That doesn't just look at us v them, it looks at our opposition and their other games too. The league and the stats prove that we have played 7 of the most competent teams in the league.

It also offers an argument against the one that says PH plays negative football. We've had better attacking stats compared to our opposition in half our games, some of which are against sides in the top 6.

With the exception of Mansfield for their dominance in all areas of the game, and Wrexham purely on the scoreline, I don't believe there has been a game since that has shown us to be poor and we are on the fine margins in many cases. People keep citing defensive lapses in concentration, not tracking a man etc, but then call for PH head.

It's incredibly frustrating to be 'nearly' there and the wrong side of margins, seeing us miss good chances etc but everything tells us we're not far. The top 6 - of which we've played all of - we haven't lost by more than 1 in the cases we have lost.

After the Barrow game - which will be tough, expect a lack of goals from both teams and few shots - we have a run that although not 'easy' will give us a much better opportunity to see what we have and build momentum.

Patience was the most important thing we needed this season as referenced when the fixtures came out and acknowledging the difficult start we had. The games that we thought would be 'easy' (Crawley, Wimbledon) have proven to not be the case and they're doing incredibly well. Now that that run of fixtures is coming to an end we need a little further patience to see how we perform against sides that have not yet performed to the same standard as the sides we've faced so far. If in ten games time we're still seeing the same patterns and still falling the wrong side of the fine margins then I'd much more understand the desire for that particular conversation and much as I wouldn't be contributing to the request for his dismissal I know you'd be providing an argument based on faith rather than evidence for his continuance.

For now though, I think context is needed in the grand scheme of the opening 10 games and not just judge purely on each game as an individual result.

Lastly, the first two links; the first shows Mansfields position on 05 October 2022 and the second shows it at the end of the season. If you think we need to hit panic stations give that a look first.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 125
gtfc_chris
October 2, 2023, 2:33pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Isn't that somewhere in the region of the mid-season form in NL? Remind me what happened during the 18 months after that......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 125
MuddyWaters
October 2, 2023, 2:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from gtfc_chris

Isn't that somewhere in the region of the mid-season form in NL? Remind me what happened during the 18 months after that......

Given your previous post, your memory looks ok. I'm sure we can all drag up bits of GTFC history to fulfil our point. My frustration is borne out of what's happened since the half time whistle at Bradford, at which point we sat second in the live table. We failed to respond to Bradford's change of tactics, failed to replace players who were out on their feet and, in four short weeks, have tumbled down the table. I know it's a short space of time but just think what a difference that the extra two points at Bradford and the three thrown away against Crawley would have made.
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 125
gtfc_chris
October 2, 2023, 3:37pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Given your previous post, your memory looks ok. I'm sure we can all drag up bits of GTFC history to fulfil our point. My frustration is borne out of what's happened since the half time whistle at Bradford, at which point we sat second in the live table. We failed to respond to Bradford's change of tactics, failed to replace players who were out on their feet and, in four short weeks, have tumbled down the table. I know it's a short space of time but just think what a difference that the extra two points at Bradford and the three thrown away against Crawley would have made.

100% agree, it is frustrating. Please don't think that I and I'm sure others are in any way pleased about results, I don't think the main difference is in what we see over the 90 minutes, but what we see in the whole picture and where we sit within it and how that 90 minutes places itself within the whole.

I didn't really quote the Crawley game but in truth it does deserve it's focus. I was at a wedding that game trying to watch in the bar on my phone (only the second half worked when the speeches were on), so I can't really give an honest view of the flow of the game but the chances column suggests we could/would/should have finished the game off. But that in itself provides the opposition argument to it being PHs fault that we lost. We had more chances and more shots. In an attacking sense we were the better of the two teams yet the players on the field didn't finish the chances created. A 'fluke' goal and two bouts of poor individual defending have cost us the points. Cite that PH buys the players and picks the team and it's of course true, but if our issue is down to human error when everything else says we've done enough then it isn't the system at fault.

In the space of four weeks we have taken a tumble but quoting second at half time isn't a fair argument, we kicked off early so even if we had won the rest of the results mean our end of day position would have been a bit lower. But - and hopefully so - the same is true in reverse. If we happen to kick into life and win the next 4 games then our position will look very different again. Those behind PH will be happy about it, those who don't like him will be quiet until the next time we lose two on the bounce and so the cycle continues.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 125
lew chaterleys lover
October 2, 2023, 3:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

I don't often agree with you, but on Harry I was nodding my head reading this. Thought the best I saw from HC was when he was left midfield. Incidentally the 2 times I've seen Harry this season I haven't noticed much difference to what I saw last year, bar he hasn't scored. It maybe he's 5 or 10% below last season's standards, but I didn't see him do too much wrong on Saturday

FAO DALE H - Hurst said that their right winger was a handful, and he felt that Michee was the most athletic of his options and the best person to deal with that threat. He did well, I thought

No worries. I don't agree with much on here either.
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 125
gtfc_chris
October 2, 2023, 3:53pm
Snakebite drinker
Didn't realise this, but was nosing at my own links and seeing differences going the other direction from October to end of season. Bristol Rovers were also 20th on 5th October and finished 3rd in the league, which is an even better rise than Mansfields.

Harrogate went from 2nd after 10 games to 19th.

Barrow went from 7th to 22nd.

Point being that nothing is determined after 10 games. Unless you're Oldham and Scunthorpe. If there are parallels between that season and this one then I'd suggest us and Doncaster are best placed to be the Mansfield and Bristol Rovers equivalents.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 125
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 2, 2023, 4:04pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,696
Quoted from chaos33

Thanks for allowing me to have an opinion and as you had a go at me last season when I commented on Harry at least we are both consistent. As for derision that’s not what my comment is as I genuinely am of the opinion that Summerfield was a better footballer than Clifton and had more technical ability. I have never criticised HC’s commitment or workrate and think he’s a very valuable squad member particularly given his ability to cover a number of different positions. However, his first touch is not the best, his passing is poor and a number of our attacks break down due to him struggling to cross or create chances with his left foot.

I acknowledge the majority of our fan base don’t share my views but we all have players we like and others we don’t and I am just in the camp that think he gets far more opportunities than others when out of form. That is I assume down to his guaranteed work rate but I just want a little more from our midfield players and believe, when fit, Khouri should be given a longer run.

That’s it in a little more than a nutshell I just don’t rate him as highly as others but I don’t pick the team so in the great scheme of things my view is pretty irrelevant.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 125
MuddyWaters
October 2, 2023, 4:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from gtfc_chris

100% agree, it is frustrating. Please don't think that I and I'm sure others are in any way pleased about results, I don't think the main difference is in what we see over the 90 minutes, but what we see in the whole picture and where we sit within it and how that 90 minutes places itself within the whole.

I didn't really quote the Crawley game but in truth it does deserve it's focus. I was at a wedding that game trying to watch in the bar on my phone (only the second half worked when the speeches were on), so I can't really give an honest view of the flow of the game but the chances column suggests we could/would/should have finished the game off. But that in itself provides the opposition argument to it being PHs fault that we lost. We had more chances and more shots. In an attacking sense we were the better of the two teams yet the players on the field didn't finish the chances created. A 'fluke' goal and two bouts of poor individual defending have cost us the points. Cite that PH buys the players and picks the team and it's of course true, but if our issue is down to human error when everything else says we've done enough then it isn't the system at fault.

In the space of four weeks we have taken a tumble but quoting second at half time isn't a fair argument, we kicked off early so even if we had won the rest of the results mean our end of day position would have been a bit lower. But - and hopefully so - the same is true in reverse. If we happen to kick into life and win the next 4 games then our position will look very different again. Those behind PH will be happy about it, those who don't like him will be quiet until the next time we lose two on the bounce and so the cycle continues.

For the record, I don’t think we’re relegation fodder - far from it. The frustration is that we have a better squad yet still seem to focus on our opponents strengths rather than our own.
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 125
GrimPol
October 2, 2023, 5:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker

For now though, I think context is needed in the grand scheme of the opening 10 games and not just judge purely on each game as an individual result.

Lastly, the first two links; the first shows Mansfields position on 05 October 2022 and the second shows it at the end of the season. If you think we need to hit panic stations give that a look first.[/quote]

A lot of good work was spoilt by the final sentence.

It's like going on a two-week holiday to Gt Yarmouth because your mate had a hot and sunny fortnight last year. What's last year's weather got to do with anything when it's raining this year?
Yes, we are not totally useless, as you show, but yet here we are 10/30. The reason I'm "panicking" is I'm not sure Town will last if it goes down again, and if you have an honest look at 21/22 season Statistics show we shouldn't have gone up, but we did. So that's statistics for you.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 125
chaos33
October 2, 2023, 6:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Thanks for allowing me to have an opinion and as you had a go at me last season when I commented on Harry at least we are both consistent. As for derision that’s not what my comment is as I genuinely am of the opinion that Summerfield was a better footballer than Clifton and had more technical ability. I have never criticised HC’s commitment or workrate and think he’s a very valuable squad member particularly given his ability to cover a number of different positions. However, his first touch is not the best, his passing is poor and a number of our attacks break down due to him struggling to cross or create chances with his left foot.

I acknowledge the majority of our fan base don’t share my views but we all have players we like and others we don’t and I am just in the camp that think he gets far more opportunities than others when out of form. That is I assume down to his guaranteed work rate but I just want a little more from our midfield players and believe, when fit, Khouri should be given a longer run.

That’s it in a little more than a nutshell I just don’t rate him as highly as others but I don’t pick the team so in the great scheme of things my view is pretty irrelevant.

Fair enough mate , although how you can come to the opinion that Luke Summerfield is a better footballer having produced pretty much nothing in his time with us compared to Clifton is way beyond me (and the stats) but hey - some people are still arguing that Brexit is good aren’t they.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 125
tarka
October 2, 2023, 6:36pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Approval: +890
Gold Stars: 29

Where is FFS when you need him? Anti football approach? Jesus Christ.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 118 - 125
gtfc_chris
October 2, 2023, 6:56pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from GrimPol

Lastly, the first two links; the first shows Mansfields position on 05 October 2022 and the second shows it at the end of the season. If you think we need to hit panic stations give that a look first.

A lot of good work was spoilt by the final sentence.

It's like going on a two-week holiday to Gt Yarmouth because your mate had a hot and sunny fortnight last year. What's last year's weather got to do with anything when it's raining this year?
Yes, we are not totally useless, as you show, but yet here we are 10/30. The reason I'm "panicking" is I'm not sure Town will last if it goes down again, and if you have an honest look at 21/22 season Statistics show we shouldn't have gone up, but we did. So that's statistics for you.
[/quote]

It's a nod to the catastrophic thinkers on the forum who have taken our form thus far and determined that it means we are going to struggle. Mansfield fans may well have been panicking yet patience paid off, same with Brizzle. There's nothing to say we'll replicate that at all, but I'd argue there's enough evidence to suggest that we are a few small tweaks and a good January window away from it being a reasonable possibility. Doncaster are similar for me and I think they'll be top half come the end of the season. In the same way that saying Mansfield/BR antics in 21/22 doesn't mean we'll do the same, saying that because we're 17th and only won 2 doesn't mean that that form will continue all season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 125
October 3, 2023, 9:48am
Guest User
I think that by January we need to be in a relatively good position in the League, as if we are in the lower reaches, it may be more difficult to attract some of PH's targets.
Reply: 120 - 125
GrimPol
October 3, 2023, 1:36pm
Fine Wine Drinker

It's a nod to the catastrophic thinkers on the forum who have taken our form thus far and determined that it means we are going to struggle. Mansfield fans may well have been panicking yet patience paid off, same with Brizzle. There's nothing to say we'll replicate that at all, but I'd argue there's enough evidence to suggest that we are a few small tweaks and a good January window away from it being a reasonable possibility. Doncaster are similar for me and I think they'll be top half come the end of the season. In the same way that saying Mansfield/BR antics in 21/22 doesn't mean we'll do the same, saying that because we're 17th and only won 2 doesn't mean that that form will continue all season.[/quote]

There are four basic scenarios here. 1) We do nothing and carry on regardless and stop worrying because that's how Mansfield and Bristol did it, so no worries.....And that's a realistic plan?  
2) We sack PH....Well I think it's too early and actually not required as I've got a cunning plan  See 4
3) We have a wholesale change of players who will get us out of position 17..... So we think that can be done, and that there is a Ronaldo/Messi out there ready to be picked up.?
4) Change our playing tactics as happened against Swindon, and maintain it. ( In fact I think the moaning and booing did some good) A few off the bench subs with enough time to make a difference, and one never knows. What's the problem with that? It's free but should have been done in the first place.

"Catastrophic thinkers eh"?   Man 1 is crossing the road and Man 2 sees coming around the bend a White Van that looks like straight at Man1. "Look out White Van speeding" shouts Man 2. Man 1 retorts, "I don't listen to Catastrophic Thinkers"         The story ends with..................................................well, we will see May '24
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 125
gtfc_chris
October 3, 2023, 2:32pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from GrimPol

There are four basic scenarios here. 1) We do nothing and carry on regardless and stop worrying because that's how Mansfield and Bristol did it, so no worries.....And that's a realistic plan?  
2) We sack PH....Well I think it's too early and actually not required as I've got a cunning plan  See 4
3) We have a wholesale change of players who will get us out of position 17..... So we think that can be done, and that there is a Ronaldo/Messi out there ready to be picked up.?
4) Change our playing tactics as happened against Swindon, and maintain it. ( In fact I think the moaning and booing did some good) A few off the bench subs with enough time to make a difference, and one never knows. What's the problem with that? It's free but should have been done in the first place.

"Catastrophic thinkers eh"?   Man 1 is crossing the road and Man 2 sees coming around the bend a White Van that looks like straight at Man1. "Look out White Van speeding" shouts Man 2. Man 1 retorts, "I don't listen to Catastrophic Thinkers"         The story ends with..................................................well, we will see May '24

Where did I say that because Mansfield and Bristol Rovers were below our league position at this point a few season ago and they finished in the play offs means we don't have to worry? My context to that FACT is that 10 games does not determine the end of season outcome. Neither of those teams changed their manager and it turned out OK for them. My evidence to suggest we don't need to worry is the calibre of teams we have played has been the best in the league so far. It then comes down to 'faith' or 'belief' of whether what we're trying to achieve here will click once we get a run of games against teams who haven't started as strongly and the so called momentum that brings.

We're a team in transition, going from one of PH usual industry to one that is looking to add technical quality and intensity too. It's not a simple switch you can just turn on and there will be teething issues and bumps along the road. I don't believe that our performances are reflective of a team who will struggle and I do believe we will get a run going soon and the picture will look different. I predicted 8th at the start of the season and I'm not overly worried on that position just yet.

Of your scenarios I say we take option 1 with a slight difference - do nothing, stay calm and give a few more weeks patience before we start getting our knickers in a twist and deciding that we already have one foot in NL.

I still believe we will finish in and around the 8th place finish I predicted before the season, I've seen nothing so far that makes me feel the need to amend it. If I'm wrong come the end of the season then I'm wrong, sucks to be optimistic. But I don't see a team who are being outplayed every week, just a team that are falling the wrong side of fine margins that can very easily fall into our favour with very little changes to what we're doing.

What I've noticed since I start posting on the Fishy though is there are a lot of posters - especially the ones with negative views - who don't share them as opinions, they state them as clear fact. "Anyone who can't see this doesn't understand football", "Hurst will have us in a relegation fight" and such like. Rarely, if ever is "I think that", "In my opinion" (or similar) accompanied. I have this thought in my head that some people are desperate to see PH sacked so they can give themselves the accolade of 'being right'. If our season turns and we do make the play-offs there will be a couple of people at least who will not be happy about the fact that PH would have been the man to get us there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 125
GrimPol
October 3, 2023, 3:55pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from gtfc_chris

Where did I say that because Mansfield and Bristol Rovers were below our league position at this point a few season ago and they finished in the play offs means we don't have to worry? My context to that FACT is that 10 games does not determine the end of season outcome. Neither of those teams changed their manager and it turned out OK for them. My evidence to suggest we don't need to worry is the calibre of teams we have played has been the best in the league so far. It then comes down to 'faith' or 'belief' of whether what we're trying to achieve here will click once we get a run of games against teams who haven't started as strongly and the so called momentum that brings.

We're a team in transition, going from one of PH usual industry to one that is looking to add technical quality and intensity too. It's not a simple switch you can just turn on and there will be teething issues and bumps along the road. I don't believe that our performances are reflective of a team who will struggle and I do believe we will get a run going soon and the picture will look different. I predicted 8th at the start of the season and I'm not overly worried on that position just yet.

Of your scenarios I say we take option 1 with a slight difference - do nothing, stay calm and give a few more weeks patience before we start getting our knickers in a twist and deciding that we already have one foot in NL.

I still believe we will finish in and around the 8th place finish I predicted before the season, I've seen nothing so far that makes me feel the need to amend it. If I'm wrong come the end of the season then I'm wrong, sucks to be optimistic. But I don't see a team who are being outplayed every week, just a team that are falling the wrong side of fine margins that can very easily fall into our favour with very little changes to what we're doing.

What I've noticed since I start posting on the Fishy though is there are a lot of posters - especially the ones with negative views - who don't share them as opinions, they state them as clear fact. "Anyone who can't see this doesn't understand football", "Hurst will have us in a relegation fight" and such like. Rarely, if ever is "I think that", "In my opinion" (or similar) accompanied. I have this thought in my head that some people are desperate to see PH sacked so they can give themselves the accolade of 'being right'. If our season turns and we do make the play-offs there will be a couple of people at least who will not be happy about the fact that PH would have been the man to get us there.

You don't understand me, and I don't understand you. Is that a fair assessment? Currently, we have 4 points from the drop zone, 7 points from the play-off zone, and 9 points from the auto promo. A statement of fact.
Your optimism says, No problems here; we will soon be shooting up the table; when January comes, we will upgrade some players; all is well. I'm not sure what you base your optimism on, but I'm not knocking it.
I say we are (by tonight) 25% through our season. We have little wiggle room—not dire, but not good either. If, by happenstance, we have some injuries, COVID illness, or both, what happens then? Can't happen? You sure?
15 matches until the January TM, and what happens if we are wallawing at the wrong end of the table and PH struggles to recruit? That's why I believe a warning sign is appropriate now so that we have time to put it right. The play must change, not the personnel.
Now nowhere in that piece am I asking for PH's head, trashing players, or wanting Town to do badly. But I'm not going to wear blinkers or bury my head in the sand so that I gain a few ticks, either. And I'm going to fall out with a fellow Mariner just because he has a different view how to get to the ultimate goal.
UTM

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 125
gtfc_chris
October 4, 2023, 7:29am
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from GrimPol

You don't understand me, and I don't understand you. Is that a fair assessment? Currently, we have 4 points from the drop zone, 7 points from the play-off zone, and 9 points from the auto promo. A statement of fact.
Your optimism says, No problems here; we will soon be shooting up the table; when January comes, we will upgrade some players; all is well. I'm not sure what you base your optimism on, but I'm not knocking it.
I say we are (by tonight) 25% through our season. We have little wiggle room—not dire, but not good either. If, by happenstance, we have some injuries, COVID illness, or both, what happens then? Can't happen? You sure?
15 matches until the January TM, and what happens if we are wallawing at the wrong end of the table and PH struggles to recruit? That's why I believe a warning sign is appropriate now so that we have time to put it right. The play must change, not the personnel.
Now nowhere in that piece am I asking for PH's head, trashing players, or wanting Town to do badly. But I'm not going to wear blinkers or bury my head in the sand so that I gain a few ticks, either. And I'm going to fall out with a fellow Mariner just because he has a different view how to get to the ultimate goal.
UTM

I don't think it is. I understand where you're coming from and I think you understand where I'm coming from, we obviously just don't see things the same way, which is totally fine. The hinge point is how much trust we each have in an upturn in results. From what I've seen I think we have enough (continuing the discussion pre-last night - I'm sure there's another thread for last night...) to not have to worry. From what you've seen you think we have cause for concern and require changes, not in manager but in something else within our playing style. I'm not trying to categorically say you're wrong, how can I?

I don't do falling out either, I enjoy discussions like this, it's the whole point fo a forum. I'm not so sensitive that I don't like people disagreeing with me and getting all aggro about it so no fears about any ill feeling. I also didn't have you in mind for the part on wanting PH to do badly, there's at least two and possibly a couple more in that boat in my book.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 125
grimps
October 4, 2023, 7:34am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,129
Gold Stars: 46
Having the mentality that it's ok to lose to all of the top ten teams as long as we pick up a few points against the lower end teams isn't really the height of ambition , I've seen nothing from this season that indicates that we'll be near the top ten this year, in fact all I am seeing is the same mistakes and same tactics again and again with seemingly no intention to change anything.
If this club and its fans only ambition is to finish mid table then we are setting ourselves up for a fall  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 125
13 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.