Reply: 10 - 125
diehardmariner
September 30, 2023, 6:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Hopefully Wilson and Rose up top on Tuesday night.  The spell with 2 in attack showed what it can offer with Wilson offering pace and power, I'm hoping that allows Rose to drop off a little bit.

That would mean a two man midfield, Conteh returning so I presume he goes straight back in and Holohan deserves to have regained his starting spot.

Clifton out wide and Eisa on the other flank I reckon. Unless he puts Wilson and Eisa wide of Rose and sticks with 3 in the middle.

Not a big fan of the meddling about at left back but I thought Efete had a decent game, just the lack of balance that I'm not keen on. Even more so without Maher in there.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 125
cardiffmariner
September 30, 2023, 6:41pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +1,321
Gold Stars: 24
Agree with the general feeling being one of frustration. Not much between the two sides when you take the game as a whole.

First half hour we were poor. Half-heartedly pressing and Swindon finding it way too easy to play around and through us, getting space all over the place. This was shown by the goal - way too much space and time between our two centre backs. All that said, they didn't create many clear cut chances.

Last 15 of the first half we started to impose ourselves and carried this through to the second half. They had spells in the second half (and what looked like a pen turned down) but we were the better team and they were genuinely holding on by the end. Their second goal was too easy with one ball cutting us wide open.

It's time for calm heads rather than gnashing and wailing. We're a decent team with some good options returning. The subs livened us up and I'd agree that Holohan should have been on from the start.

Couple of things for me. Like some others, I'm not yet convinced Eastwood is an upgrade from last season. Very little to do today and (this may be harsh) could have done better on both goals. The first shot was from the edge of the box. He was clear sighted and had time to set himself and was slow getting down. For the second, he came, stopped and came again. If he'd committed to coming out I felt he could have got there.

Hunt. Much talked about whether in or out. Don't think he was any better or worse than others today. Two or three times he played balls forward that looked like he wasted possession when those on the other end needed to be more alert and gambling. That said, he spent too much time deep, sometimes alongside our CBs. Hard for him at the moment to be so in and out and then be expected to pings balls around.

Lovely goal by Wilson.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 125
Mappers
September 30, 2023, 6:45pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,330
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from pontoonlew
I think the overall feeling for me is disappointment that we’re clearly just not good enough to be up there this season, we look very beatable for all the decent sides yet nowhere near bad enough to worry about relegation. 10 games in it just feels as inevitable as the past 3 games have.

Swindon just made it look easy enough to put away chances and we made it look so bloody hard. Wilson’s goal was the most natural forward play I’ve seen in 2 seasons, promising it may be but it’s a reflection of just how toothless we’ve been.

There are positives and there were today, but every decent opposition just puts us at arms length. Wrexham have conceded 8 goals since we played them 2 weeks ago and got absolutely nowhere near scoring, that tells you all you need to know.

As far as individuals go, I thought Rodgers, Efete, Mullarkey and Andrews all had good games. Wilsons finish was very good and Holohan looked good in a short spell. Hunt was poor and Clifton is back to running around whilst looking so wasteful in possession.

The one thing I’m clinging onto is the fact our opening games have been ridiculously tough in hindsight, but I feel our decision to sign a load of triers in pre season and fall short in creativity will again let us down.

I am a massive Hurst fan as a manager , as I have stated before but have slowly over the last few months come to the conclusion that it's time for a change - as I have said I want him to prove me wrong ; but I just can't see it to the extent to what  I would regard as 'success' - a full decent sesaon over achieving , like many other clubs have .

I don't think he will take us down ,or even close;  but it does worry me that a gritty team has been replaced with a soft underbelly of better individuals but potentially a worse collective unit.

I think my main gripe is , although I have enjoyed the amazing 1 off memories that he's provided over the whole 9 years across his 2 spells , the actual amount of games I have enjoyed watching in that time have  probably been between 10-20  and out of 500  odd that seems quite a low % .

'Stale' comes to mind maybe it's me , maybe it's Hurst maybe a mixture I'm not sure .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 125
MuddyWaters
September 30, 2023, 6:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from cardiffmariner
Agree with the general feeling being one of frustration. Not much between the two sides when you take the game as a whole.

First half hour we were poor. Half-heartedly pressing and Swindon finding it way too easy to play around and through us, getting space all over the place. This was shown by the goal - way too much space and time between our two centre backs. All that said, they didn't create many clear cut chances.

Last 15 of the first half we started to impose ourselves and carried this through to the second half. They had spells in the second half (and what looked like a pen turned down) but we were the better team and they were genuinely holding on by the end. Their second goal was too easy with one ball cutting us wide open.

It's time for calm heads rather than gnashing and wailing. We're a decent team with some good options returning. The subs livened us up and I'd agree that Holohan should have been on from the start.

Couple of things for me. Like some others, I'm not yet convinced Eastwood is an upgrade from last season. Very little to do today and (this may be harsh) could have done better on both goals. The first shot was from the edge of the box. He was clear sighted and had time to set himself and was slow getting down. For the second, he came, stopped and came again. If he'd committed to coming out I felt he could have got there.

Hunt. Much talked about whether in or out. Don't think he was any better or worse than others today. Two or three times he played balls forward that looked like he wasted possession when those on the other end needed to be more alert and gambling. That said, he spent too much time deep, sometimes alongside our CBs. Hard for him at the moment to be so in and out and then be expected to pings balls around.

Lovely goal by Wilson.

Hunt is simply not a replacement for Conteh.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 125
diehardmariner
September 30, 2023, 6:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
I agree he was no better or worse than Andrews or Clifton today, but was nailed one he would be the first to be hooked.  Few times Hunt did get his passing right, he got his away down the flanks.

I do rate the lad and I don't think him knowing he's a bad pass away from getting hooked helps, but he really needs to add consistency to his game. Few occasions where he nipped in to win possession and then gave it away cheaply with a lazy type pass or layoff.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 125
cardiffmariner
September 30, 2023, 7:06pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +1,321
Gold Stars: 24
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Hunt is simply not a replacement for Conteh.

I don’t think that’s in doubt.

This idea from some that we/Hurst have gone ‘stale’ etc seems odd considering the obvious improvement and change in the way we play and the players we have.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 125
Northbank Mariner
September 30, 2023, 7:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,472
Gold Stars: 171

This idea from some that we/Hurst have gone ‘stale’ etc seems odd considering the obvious improvement and change in the way we play and the players we have.

He plays 1 up front, no runners, no intent on attack but plays to out wit the opposition, we have not improved even if we are playing a different style.
I will put my house on him going to 1 up front on Tuesday night, even though it was blatantly obvious we are a bigger threat with 2 up..time for a change before we do end up in a relegation battle, because 10 games soon becomes 20 than we could be up the  creek without a paddle
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 125
ginnywings
September 30, 2023, 7:11pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
As I mentioned last week, without Maher and the reshuffles to defence that is causing, we simply aren't as good a defensive unit without him.

The 4 games we have lost have been against the big hitters, and the in form Crawley, a game we should really have got something from. In those 4 games, we have had to male private about with the defence, and we have conceded 11 goals.

In the other 6 games, we have won 2, drawn 4 and only conceded 3 goals. Unfortunately, 2 of those conceded goals were late ones that cost us 2 points in each game, against Walsall and Bradford, and both were harsh.

Get Maher back, and get Wilson up to speed, coupled with some more winnable fixtures coming up, and I reckon we will start to pick up more than the 1 point per game we have managed so far.

I'm sure there are plenty who will disagree with what I'm saying, and fair enough, but for me, there are plenty of signs of a decent side developing here and my usual stance is that the first 10 games of any season are just the bedding in period, and if after the next 10, we are still struggling to gain more than a point a game, then yes, the position of the manager will need to be looked at.

For now, I'm still optimistic, and I'm convinced we have a much better side now that isn't yet translating into results.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 125
pontoonlew
September 30, 2023, 7:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,041
Gold Stars: 177

I agree with the stale part. Maybe it’s just this level of football but genuinely how often do you walk away from our games feeling genuinely entertained?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 125
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.