It Bites
October 1, 2023, 7:54pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,169
Gold Stars: 264
Quoted from FishySmithy
Again unpopular opinion Clifton gets an easy ride as he is one of our own, he is massively overrated and his first touch and passing is shocking makes up for lack of quality with effort and endurance. Would like to see a side without him in it for a while at some point.

He’s basically turned into Luke Summerfield
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 125
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 1, 2023, 9:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,690
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from It Bites

He’s basically turned into Luke Summerfield

Bit of an insult to Summerfield
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 125
AncientExiledMariner
October 2, 2023, 3:41am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Yeah, sorry it was actually 3, although Wrexham put 5 past them, which proves my point even more, we are f@cking useless in front of goal!!...
I'll tell you what, I'll just sit there and go "oh well, never mind, we only lost again, always next week" or i can show some passion from the stands and let those at the club know I'm not happy.

Have I called anybody, or even used the term "happy clapper"?...
I've supported this club for 50 years, through thick, thin and mud, and I will continue to do so, and I will always show passion, be that berating them when they are sh!te or applauding when we play well...what I won't to do is just turn up abd watch the game like I'm wearing a mask, sat on my hands with my tongue tied!!

"I've supported this club for 50 years, through thick, thin and mud" "berating them when they are sh!te"

Definition: Support

"To bear the weight of, especially from below; keep from falling, sinking, or slipping."

"To bear or hold up (an amount of weight)."

"To keep from weakening or failing; give confidence or comfort to."

Which one of those definitions are you doing there? Is that berating building up players confidence when they're not at their best or mess up?

Players are human and jumping on their back when they intercourse up doesn't help. It just makes people more risk averse.

You'd be better off being quite that dragging the team down.

Support through thick and thin, and average. We all get emotional, but some of us can show restraint rather than yelling at young lads doing their best.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 125
AncientExiledMariner
October 2, 2023, 3:44am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
On the topic of Clifton. He's clearly not in form. Hurst has to decide whether the other options are better. Ultimately, he doesn't feel that is the case and the off the ball work give more than the on the ball errors. Harry is still the same player, and he'll get back to last seasons quality. He just needs time and encouragement.

Do we really think he wants to miss those opportunities? He'll be mortified.

The thing about Clifton, is he gets these chances because he doesn't stop running, doesn't stop moving and he's the guy who made it into the box to get that opportunity. Maybe other players might execute it better, but they gotta get on the end of it first.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 125
MuddyWaters
October 2, 2023, 6:40am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,250
Gold Stars: 235

"I've supported this club for 50 years, through thick, thin and mud" "berating them when they are sh!te"

Definition: Support

"To bear the weight of, especially from below; keep from falling, sinking, or slipping."

"To bear or hold up (an amount of weight)."

"To keep from weakening or failing; give confidence or comfort to."

Which one of those definitions are you doing there? Is that berating building up players confidence when they're not at their best or mess up?

Players are human and jumping on their back when they intercourse up doesn't help. It just makes people more risk averse.

You'd be better off being quite that dragging the team down.

Support through thick and thin, and average. We all get emotional, but some of us can show restraint rather than yelling at young lads doing their best.

You might want to remember that when certain players are always dropped after one game while others get umpteen chances.
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 125
fishcake63
October 2, 2023, 6:42am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
good point 👆
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 125
GollyGTFC
October 2, 2023, 7:59am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,963
Gold Stars: 356
On the topic of Clifton. He's clearly not in form. Hurst has to decide whether the other options are better. Ultimately, he doesn't feel that is the case and the off the ball work give more than the on the ball errors. Harry is still the same player, and he'll get back to last seasons quality. He just needs time and encouragement.

Do we really think he wants to miss those opportunities? He'll be mortified.

The thing about Clifton, is he gets these chances because he doesn't stop running, doesn't stop moving and he's the guy who made it into the box to get that opportunity. Maybe other players might execute it better, but they gotta get on the end of it first.

Harry has never been particularly good at many facets of midfield play that other posters have mentioned. His strengths are his energy and the goals he’s can provide from midfield.

Obviously we need players in around him who cover for his weaknesses as he would probably cover for theirs in return. We don’t have that. We have a very similar player to Clifton in terms of energy and being able to pop up with a few goals (Holohan) but who has the same flaws in their game as Harry does.

That’s not Harry or Gavan’s fault. Blame the person who has consistently picked a midfield with only 1 player who has a good range of passing, excellent decision making and who protects the ball well and doesn’t squander possession easily.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 96 - 125
chaos33
October 2, 2023, 9:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Bit of an insult to Summerfield

I mean, you and It Bites with this derision of Clifton. It’s odd.
I’m not arguing your right to an opinion but really; Clifton hasn’t started the season ‘producing’ as much as he has done so magnificently for us in the last few seasons, but he’s still a great player and has given us so much. He will come good again soon and he absolutely gives 100% for 90 mins every week. That’s good enough for me, even if I think he might or should lose his place on current form. Can’t we keep it calm and rational?  

We’re not that far off. I think we need to play at least some games with two strikers and change shape. There are others that need to raise their game and cut out the mistakes, sharpish. Nobody likes the results, the stats or the league position. It’s not good enough. We need to support the team but expect and push for better. I’m starting to think that those handful of posters who have got themselves into an angry and entitled, pant wetting pickle need to get a grip, take a proper look at how tough and competitive this division is, remember what football and the world in general is  like and crack on. You have a divine right to f**k all in life…so we might as well remember that and dig in.
UTM

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 125
lew chaterleys lover
October 2, 2023, 9:34am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from chaos33

I’m not arguing your right to an opinion but really; Clifton hasn’t started the season ‘producing’ as much as he has done so magnificently for us in the last few seasons, but he’s still a great player and has given us so much. He will come good again soon and he absolutely gives 100% for 90 mins every week. That’s good enough for me, even if I think he might or should lose his place on current form. Can’t we keep it calm and rational?  

We’re not that far off. I think we need to play at least some games with two strikers and change shape. There are others that need to raise their game and cut out the mistakes, sharpish. Nobody likes the results, the stats or the league position. It’s not good enough. We need to support the team but expect and push for better. I’m starting to think that those handful of posters who have got themselves into an angry and entitled, pant wetting pickle need to get a grip, take a proper look at how tough and competitive this division is, remember what football and the world in general is  like and crack on. You have a divine right to f**k all in life…so we might as well remember that and dig in.
UTM

I would play him out wide. He is not the type of player you would expect out there but he is strangely effective and has both created and scored goals from that position before.

The midfield balance isn't right at all as we are both too open and not creating enough. Hope to see Wilson with Rose tomorrow night to give the midfield half a chance of finding a pass to hurt the opposition and to give the two wide players greater options.
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 125
MuddyWaters
October 2, 2023, 9:43am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,250
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from chaos33

UTM

Serious question. Are you going 4-4-2 or 3-5-2?

Wrexham away showed that Waterfall isn’t right in a 3. If you go 4-4-2, where do Eisa and Khan fit as I don’t really trust either to cover a full back.

I firmly believe that we intended to play 4-2-3-1 but the 3 have failed to support the 1 and neither of our left back options are good enough so the three end up too deep. Rose has been pretty isolated every time we play and, but for some Eisa worldies, we would be in a worse position than we are now.

That’s not angry or entitled or pant wetting, it’s what’s happening.
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 125
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.