ska face
September 30, 2023, 11:18pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,779
Gold Stars: 851
Quoted from Gaffer58
On the striker situation, or the lack of signing one, although we seem to have spent last season’s cup money, surprising what you get for a million quid, it would probably have been better to have one less squad man so that the additional money could have gone on a striker, if you pay them they will come. I know some people will say that paying someone more then the rest it can cause differences but if said striker is successful then the rest of the squad are happy as they get additional win bonuses.

*off topic coming post so scroll on if you’re after matchchat*

This is what I don’t quite get. We must have some money just sat there as we supposedly had three deals ready to be done on deadline day, all of which fell through. Two of those supposedly striker McNeil from Man Utd & Fleming the left-back from Hull, both now on loan in L1. No idea who the third supposedly was. Only the players know if it was money or playing up a league that made their minds up, but would be disappointing if we’re playing without a league-standard left-back for the sake of a few hundred quid.

We’ve gone & signed Ainley, so that’s money down the drain for a few months at least, but there’s got to be wages for two players sat gathering dust. Hursts’s said they’re already looking to January & next summer, so have to wait & see I suppose.

My main concern is whether we’re devaluing some of the players we’ve brought in. Conteh must’ve been seen as an investment and hopefully he continues to kick on & might make us a profit when he goes, but he needs support. Rogers too should be worth a few quid given his 3-year contract but needs to be playing in a settled back line. Eisa’s a worry as he’s only on a 1-year-deal & not sure if we’ve got an option on him. Was apparently rumoured to have had some interest in August but would be gutting if he went on a free. Clifton’s value must’ve fallen through the floor, not ideal for him or us being out of contract in the summer.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 125
davmariner
October 1, 2023, 12:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,970
Gold Stars: 79
Must say that for me, today was Hunt’s last chance. I’d send him out on loan to the National League for the rest of the season if there’s a club that will have him.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 125
CSLM
October 1, 2023, 1:03am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +645
Gold Stars: 12
Interesting how many posts are almost 50/50 with the ticks/crosses.

I agree that if we don't get a few results against the supposed lesser teams then questions should be asked.

I definitely don't think we have "wasted" the cup money. We have some bloody good players who are worth a fair whack if anyone wants them anytime soon.

Really hope Wilson can kick on. Would love to see him and Rose start on Tuesday. Those 2 with Eisa and Khan could be a real threat. C'mon Paul, make the opposition worry about us for a change.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 125
Davec
October 1, 2023, 1:19am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from CSLM
Interesting how many posts are almost 50/50 with the ticks/crosses.

I agree that if we don't get a few results against the supposed lesser teams then questions should be asked.

I definitely don't think we have "wasted" the cup money. We have some bloody good players who are worth a fair whack if anyone wants them anytime soon.

Really hope Wilson can kick on. Would love to see him and Rose start on Tuesday. Those 2 with Eisa and Khan could be a real threat. C'mon Paul, make the opposition worry about us for a change.

With respect, the only player worth a fair whack would be Conteh, who else? As much as I rate Eisa and Rodgers one of them is 27 and the other nearly 27 so I seriously doubt any club would come in and give us decent money for either of them? If they was 5 years younger then yeah maybe, but they aren't
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 125
CSLM
October 1, 2023, 2:42am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +645
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Davec

With respect, the only player worth a fair whack would be Conteh, who else? As much as I rate Eisa and Rodgers one of them is 27 and the other nearly 27 so I seriously doubt any club would come in and give us decent money for either of them? If they was 5 years younger then yeah maybe, but they aren't

Fair point, before Wrexham I'd definitely say Rodgers and I still think he will be sought after. Him and Conteh could make that money back next year, possibly more.
Mullarkey is an interesting one to, could go either way.

Clearly there are positions that we really needed to improve and it didn't work as planned, that is fustrating.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 125
lukeo
October 1, 2023, 2:57am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
Quoted from forza ivano
My first time of seeing hem live this season. Main points
lot of people commenting who weren't actually at the game
it was a decent performance, as witnessed by the comments on here from those who were there, plus our slightly disappointing turnout of fans, stayed and applauded them - no boos or negativity.
Swindon were out on their feet at the final whistle - lying down, exhausted, which rather shows the pressure we put them under.
they were clinical with their finishing, we weren't
nobody had  a bad game, although nobody was particularly outstanding
Very impressed with Mullarkey & Rose. Thought Efete & Waterfall did well, given the previous criticisms
Didn't really think there was much difference in Clifton's level of performance compared to last season
thought we deserved a point; they were really rattled once we got 1 back
overall the quality of our play and players looked  a notch or 2 higher last season (but then the whole division may be the same)
Overall it looked like a good side against a decent mid table side
we looked at the table - 1 game so far versus the bottom 10, 8 against the top 8. It's been bloody tough
We are not  a bad side; suspect we won't be up there, but we are in no danger of a relegation battle
thought it was going to be awful, but came away much more enthused

100% this.I stayed behind today and the way we (the fans) reacted it was asif we got a result. We appreciated the effort the boys put in. On another day 1 of those big chances goes in and we walk away with atleast a point.
I had a few Swindon fans speak to me and the kids after the game commenting on how well they played and how they were lucky to win.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 125
Northbank Mariner
October 1, 2023, 6:36am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,526
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from Maringer
Usual guys, usual hysteria.

And the same guys burying their head in the sand rather than face reality....
Crewe put 3 past Wrexham, Colchester put 4 past Notts, Sutton put 5 past Swindon...
For all those saying we've had a tough start, I'm not buying that, no game should be seen as "I'll take a draw" from team X, as seen above 3 of those teams have conceded 12 goals against other opposition, they've conceded 3 against us!!...
We've dropped 12 points from winning positions this season, won the grand total of 2 games out of the last 13, its simply not good enough, and if you're happy to accept that, that's your choice, but I know I certainly am not.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 125
denni266
October 1, 2023, 7:41am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +697
Gold Stars: 132
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

And the same guys burying their head in the sand rather than face reality....
Crewe put 3 past Wrexham, Colchester put 4 past Notts, Sutton put 5 past Swindon...
For all those saying we've had a tough start, I'm not buying that, no game should be seen as "I'll take a draw" from team X, as seen above 3 of those teams have conceded 12 goals against other opposition, they've conceded 3 against us!!...
We've dropped 12 points from winning positions this season, won the grand total of 2 games out of the last 13, its simply not good enough, and if you're happy to accept that, that's your choice, but I know I certainly am not.

Absolutley spot on .... And why cannot people see what is going on. Why do people just be happy with survival , And on two wins every 10 games aint going to achieve survival. He has wasted out little football fortune and we have gone backwards.. Listen to his interview after the game ,, He is lost struggled to find the words and what to say, He may be a safe pair of hands in none league but he is not a football league manager .Stop looking up the road and worrying about them, look at us take your blinkers off.. But no too many cannot see past their noses and when someone points out whats happining all the can do is call you from a pig to a dog and kiss hurst rear end .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 125
pontoonlew
October 1, 2023, 7:50am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
I also hear the words ‘he’ll turn it around’. What exactly turns around, a couple of wins followed by some more stale tactics, rinsed & repeated all season for a mid table finish. For Hurst to really ‘turn it around’ we need a fresh tactical approach, and I’d be absolutely stunned if that suddenly happened.

I also see the fact we’ve played most of the top 10, but if you keep gifting sides points early on in the season, then the chances are they’re going to find themselves above us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 125
lukeo
October 1, 2023, 8:05am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
Calm down. Once we hit half way through the season I'll make 2 judgements. 1 based on performances (for me they're good so far) and results (not good). Until then I'll be supporting PH and the boys each game week and hoping the performances will start to turn results around.
Yesterday nearly everyone stayed after the final whistle to clap the lads off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 125
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.