MuddyWaters
September 30, 2023, 9:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,254
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Vance Warner

Sorry but people who understand football don’t wet themselves about the league position after ten games when the style and quality of football has clearly improved

So what constitutes a crisis? I’d say two wins in 13 games is a cause for concern. I’m no more entertained now than I was last year.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 125
Gaffer58
September 30, 2023, 9:31pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
On the striker situation, or the lack of signing one, although we seem to have spent last season’s cup money, surprising what you get for a million quid, it would probably have been better to have one less squad man so that the additional money could have gone on a striker, if you pay them they will come. I know some people will say that paying someone more then the rest it can cause differences but if said striker is successful then the rest of the squad are happy as they get additional win bonuses.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 125
come_on_town
September 30, 2023, 9:32pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +165
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Mariner93er

This is the thing for me now. I have traditionally been a Hurst fan. I appreciate the work rate he instills in teams, and it's rare (if ever) I'd question his team's effort. That used to be enough, but after a decade, I find myself increasingly craving more attacking football. I'm not expecting Barcelona or anything, but it would be nice to see more attacking intent. The only games were we ever create much is against the quite risky teams like Notts and Crawley, which we lost. It's very rare that our wins are anything other than tight and scrappy, which is clearly a byproduct of Hurst's approach.

I like Hurst and would get no pleasure from seeing him sacked - not least because it means someone's out of a job. From a footballing viewpoint, I'm becoming increasingly bored watching us.

Fully agree with your post. Last season at home we were truly urine-poor at home in the league. Luckily our away form and performances made the home games tolerable. Excitement at BP came in the cup games as we all know. The lads I sit with all jokingly questioned renewing the season tickets for yet another dull season.
I’ve said on previous posts we have improved in certain players/areas but as it stands our defensive game plan and a formation with one up top just doesn’t do the players any justice. No attacking coach to bring out the best of all attacking players was surely an area we needed to improve along with the squad in the summer. It’s going to be a long season, hopefully we’ll be fine….time will tell. UTM
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 125
HerveJosse
September 30, 2023, 9:33pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from MuddyWaters

So what constitutes a crisis? I’d say two wins in 13 games is a cause for concern. I’m no more entertained now than I was last year.

To that I would add again no clarity on what system we are playing or what our best 11 is particularly midfield.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 125
Vance Warner
September 30, 2023, 9:46pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,810
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Scunthorpe constitutes a crisis not narrowly losing away to a team 3rd in the league. If you’re not more entertained watching Elisa than Wearne, Rose than Taylor or Conteh than Morris then I feel for you.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 125
MuddyWaters
September 30, 2023, 9:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,254
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Vance Warner

Scunthorpe constitutes a crisis not narrowly losing away to a team 3rd in the league. If you’re not more entertained watching Elisa than Wearne, Rose than Taylor or Conteh than Morris then I feel for you.

Blimey! You’ve picked two players who rarely featured and and old crock (albeit a good one) as your comparison.

As I said previously, the individuals may be better but the team isn’t. It may come, I hope it does otherwise we’re looking at another relegation scrap. My concern is that I don’t see any leaders other than Niall Maher.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 125
Vance Warner
September 30, 2023, 9:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,810
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Blimey! You’ve picked two players who rarely featured and and old crock (albeit a good one) as your comparison.

As I said previously, the individuals may be better but the team isn’t. It may come, I hope it does otherwise we’re looking at another relegation scrap. My concern is that I don’t see any leaders other than Niall Maher.

From memory Morris and Taylor were playing regularly this time last year. Fair enough about Wearne but Eisa is an upgrade on Kiernan. I’m comfortable with Paul Hurst because he’s always improved us season by season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 125
Maringer
September 30, 2023, 10:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,525
Gold Stars: 185
Usual guys, usual hysteria.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 125
Poojah
September 30, 2023, 10:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,563
Gold Stars: 1,500
I’m fairly ambivalent about today’s result. I wasn’t remotely confident going into the game, what with key players unavailable for selection and the respective form of the two sides, and whilst my gut instinct might have been correct, the performance was respectable for the most part.

Again, basic lapses in concentration and a lack of composure in front of goal was our undoing, but I do feel these are resolvable issues in the longer-term; Wilson’s turn and finish offered a glimpse of what may be to come - a proper striker’s goal, that.

Ultimately, I think any talk of Hurst’s demise is premature. I’m far from content with recent results and our league position, and we’re well below where I thought and hoped we would be at this stage, but context is needed. In our first 10 games, we have managed to play the entire current top 6, and only 1 side currently lower than 14th in the table.

I said previously that Halloween would be a sensible milestone to make judgement, but 7 of our 9 next games are against Tranmere (23rd), Accrington (15th), Colchester (18th), Doncaster (21st), Morecambe (12th), Forest Green (22nd) and Sutton (24th). It’s almost the reverse of what we’ve faced thus far.

Whatever your take on Hurst at this juncture, the advantage we have is that he’s not an unknown quantity. We know he’ll have good runs and bad runs. We know he’ll frustrate with tactics and substitutions. We know the brand of football is more likely to be industrious than scintillating. But we also know that he tends to right the ship in time.

If we don’t see an improvement in results over the course of the next few weeks, then it’s inevitable questions will be asked. But I think, as of right now, it’s a considerably bigger gamble to dispense of Hursty than to keep him.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 125
Mappers
September 30, 2023, 10:44pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,324
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Poojah
I’m fairly ambivalent about today’s result. I wasn’t remotely confident going into the game, what with key players unavailable for selection and the respective form of the two sides, and whilst my gut instinct might have been correct, the performance was respectable for the most part.

Again, basic lapses in concentration and a lack of composure in front of goal was our undoing, but I do feel these are resolvable issues in the longer-term; Wilson’s turn and finish offered a glimpse of what may be to come - a proper striker’s goal, that.

Ultimately, I think any talk of Hurst’s demise is premature. I’m far from content with recent results and our league position, and we’re well below where I thought and hoped we would be at this stage, but context is needed. In our first 10 games, we have managed to play the entire current top 6, and only 1 side currently lower than 14th in the table.

I said previously that Halloween would be a sensible milestone to make judgement, but 7 of our 9 next games are against Tranmere (23rd), Accrington (15th), Colchester (18th), Doncaster (21st), Morecambe (12th), Forest Green (22nd) and Sutton (24th). It’s almost the reverse of what we’ve faced thus far.

Whatever your take on Hurst at this juncture, the advantage we have is that he’s not an unknown quantity. We know he’ll have good runs and bad runs. We know he’ll frustrate with tactics and substitutions. We know the brand of football is more likely to be industrious than scintillating. But we also know that he tends to right the ship in time.

If we don’t see an improvement in results over the course of the next few weeks, then it’s inevitable questions will be asked. But I think, as of right now, it’s a considerably bigger gamble to dispense of Hursty than to keep him.

The good runs are never that good ( we never won more than 2 on the bounce in the league last season ) .The bad runs are normally never that bad  (3 defeats on the bounce our worst run in the league )  .If we lose on Tuesday it would be the first time he has lost 4 games on the bounce in a league game since he came back for the second time , which i think just shows you what a  good solid ,yet unspectacular manager he is really .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 125
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.