MuddyWaters
October 2, 2023, 2:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from gtfc_chris

Isn't that somewhere in the region of the mid-season form in NL? Remind me what happened during the 18 months after that......

Given your previous post, your memory looks ok. I'm sure we can all drag up bits of GTFC history to fulfil our point. My frustration is borne out of what's happened since the half time whistle at Bradford, at which point we sat second in the live table. We failed to respond to Bradford's change of tactics, failed to replace players who were out on their feet and, in four short weeks, have tumbled down the table. I know it's a short space of time but just think what a difference that the extra two points at Bradford and the three thrown away against Crawley would have made.
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 125
gtfc_chris
October 2, 2023, 3:37pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,465
Gold Stars: 114
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Given your previous post, your memory looks ok. I'm sure we can all drag up bits of GTFC history to fulfil our point. My frustration is borne out of what's happened since the half time whistle at Bradford, at which point we sat second in the live table. We failed to respond to Bradford's change of tactics, failed to replace players who were out on their feet and, in four short weeks, have tumbled down the table. I know it's a short space of time but just think what a difference that the extra two points at Bradford and the three thrown away against Crawley would have made.

100% agree, it is frustrating. Please don't think that I and I'm sure others are in any way pleased about results, I don't think the main difference is in what we see over the 90 minutes, but what we see in the whole picture and where we sit within it and how that 90 minutes places itself within the whole.

I didn't really quote the Crawley game but in truth it does deserve it's focus. I was at a wedding that game trying to watch in the bar on my phone (only the second half worked when the speeches were on), so I can't really give an honest view of the flow of the game but the chances column suggests we could/would/should have finished the game off. But that in itself provides the opposition argument to it being PHs fault that we lost. We had more chances and more shots. In an attacking sense we were the better of the two teams yet the players on the field didn't finish the chances created. A 'fluke' goal and two bouts of poor individual defending have cost us the points. Cite that PH buys the players and picks the team and it's of course true, but if our issue is down to human error when everything else says we've done enough then it isn't the system at fault.

In the space of four weeks we have taken a tumble but quoting second at half time isn't a fair argument, we kicked off early so even if we had won the rest of the results mean our end of day position would have been a bit lower. But - and hopefully so - the same is true in reverse. If we happen to kick into life and win the next 4 games then our position will look very different again. Those behind PH will be happy about it, those who don't like him will be quiet until the next time we lose two on the bounce and so the cycle continues.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 125
lew chaterleys lover
October 2, 2023, 3:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from forza ivano

I don't often agree with you, but on Harry I was nodding my head reading this. Thought the best I saw from HC was when he was left midfield. Incidentally the 2 times I've seen Harry this season I haven't noticed much difference to what I saw last year, bar he hasn't scored. It maybe he's 5 or 10% below last season's standards, but I didn't see him do too much wrong on Saturday

FAO DALE H - Hurst said that their right winger was a handful, and he felt that Michee was the most athletic of his options and the best person to deal with that threat. He did well, I thought

No worries. I don't agree with much on here either.
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 125
gtfc_chris
October 2, 2023, 3:53pm
Snakebite drinker
Didn't realise this, but was nosing at my own links and seeing differences going the other direction from October to end of season. Bristol Rovers were also 20th on 5th October and finished 3rd in the league, which is an even better rise than Mansfields.

Harrogate went from 2nd after 10 games to 19th.

Barrow went from 7th to 22nd.

Point being that nothing is determined after 10 games. Unless you're Oldham and Scunthorpe. If there are parallels between that season and this one then I'd suggest us and Doncaster are best placed to be the Mansfield and Bristol Rovers equivalents.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 125
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 2, 2023, 4:04pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from chaos33

I mean, you and It Bites with this derision of Clifton. It’s odd.
I’m not arguing your right to an opinion but really; Clifton hasn’t started the season ‘producing’ as much as he has done so magnificently for us in the last few seasons, but he’s still a great player and has given us so much. He will come good again soon and he absolutely gives 100% for 90 mins every week. That’s good enough for me, even if I think he might or should lose his place on current form. Can’t we keep it calm and rational?  

Thanks for allowing me to have an opinion and as you had a go at me last season when I commented on Harry at least we are both consistent. As for derision that’s not what my comment is as I genuinely am of the opinion that Summerfield was a better footballer than Clifton and had more technical ability. I have never criticised HC’s commitment or workrate and think he’s a very valuable squad member particularly given his ability to cover a number of different positions. However, his first touch is not the best, his passing is poor and a number of our attacks break down due to him struggling to cross or create chances with his left foot.

I acknowledge the majority of our fan base don’t share my views but we all have players we like and others we don’t and I am just in the camp that think he gets far more opportunities than others when out of form. That is I assume down to his guaranteed work rate but I just want a little more from our midfield players and believe, when fit, Khouri should be given a longer run.

That’s it in a little more than a nutshell I just don’t rate him as highly as others but I don’t pick the team so in the great scheme of things my view is pretty irrelevant.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 125
MuddyWaters
October 2, 2023, 4:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from gtfc_chris

100% agree, it is frustrating. Please don't think that I and I'm sure others are in any way pleased about results, I don't think the main difference is in what we see over the 90 minutes, but what we see in the whole picture and where we sit within it and how that 90 minutes places itself within the whole.

I didn't really quote the Crawley game but in truth it does deserve it's focus. I was at a wedding that game trying to watch in the bar on my phone (only the second half worked when the speeches were on), so I can't really give an honest view of the flow of the game but the chances column suggests we could/would/should have finished the game off. But that in itself provides the opposition argument to it being PHs fault that we lost. We had more chances and more shots. In an attacking sense we were the better of the two teams yet the players on the field didn't finish the chances created. A 'fluke' goal and two bouts of poor individual defending have cost us the points. Cite that PH buys the players and picks the team and it's of course true, but if our issue is down to human error when everything else says we've done enough then it isn't the system at fault.

In the space of four weeks we have taken a tumble but quoting second at half time isn't a fair argument, we kicked off early so even if we had won the rest of the results mean our end of day position would have been a bit lower. But - and hopefully so - the same is true in reverse. If we happen to kick into life and win the next 4 games then our position will look very different again. Those behind PH will be happy about it, those who don't like him will be quiet until the next time we lose two on the bounce and so the cycle continues.

For the record, I don’t think we’re relegation fodder - far from it. The frustration is that we have a better squad yet still seem to focus on our opponents strengths rather than our own.
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 125
GrimPol
October 2, 2023, 5:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69

For now though, I think context is needed in the grand scheme of the opening 10 games and not just judge purely on each game as an individual result.

Lastly, the first two links; the first shows Mansfields position on 05 October 2022 and the second shows it at the end of the season. If you think we need to hit panic stations give that a look first.[/quote]

A lot of good work was spoilt by the final sentence.

It's like going on a two-week holiday to Gt Yarmouth because your mate had a hot and sunny fortnight last year. What's last year's weather got to do with anything when it's raining this year?
Yes, we are not totally useless, as you show, but yet here we are 10/30. The reason I'm "panicking" is I'm not sure Town will last if it goes down again, and if you have an honest look at 21/22 season Statistics show we shouldn't have gone up, but we did. So that's statistics for you.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 125
chaos33
October 2, 2023, 6:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Thanks for allowing me to have an opinion and as you had a go at me last season when I commented on Harry at least we are both consistent. As for derision that’s not what my comment is as I genuinely am of the opinion that Summerfield was a better footballer than Clifton and had more technical ability. I have never criticised HC’s commitment or workrate and think he’s a very valuable squad member particularly given his ability to cover a number of different positions. However, his first touch is not the best, his passing is poor and a number of our attacks break down due to him struggling to cross or create chances with his left foot.

I acknowledge the majority of our fan base don’t share my views but we all have players we like and others we don’t and I am just in the camp that think he gets far more opportunities than others when out of form. That is I assume down to his guaranteed work rate but I just want a little more from our midfield players and believe, when fit, Khouri should be given a longer run.

That’s it in a little more than a nutshell I just don’t rate him as highly as others but I don’t pick the team so in the great scheme of things my view is pretty irrelevant.

Fair enough mate , although how you can come to the opinion that Luke Summerfield is a better footballer having produced pretty much nothing in his time with us compared to Clifton is way beyond me (and the stats) but hey - some people are still arguing that Brexit is good aren’t they.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 125
tarka
October 2, 2023, 6:36pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +890
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

And I've just said on twitter, at some point the crowds will dwindle due to his boring, anti football approach, and I honestly think that will be the wake up call the board requires, as the product is devalued, only then will they react. Although I have put my neck on the block about Stockwood being ready to pull the plug on Hurst previously, even I'm doubting my source for that information now tbh.

Where is FFS when you need him? Anti football approach? Jesus Christ.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 118 - 125
gtfc_chris
October 2, 2023, 6:56pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from GrimPol

For now though, I think context is needed in the grand scheme of the opening 10 games and not just judge purely on each game as an individual result.

Lastly, the first two links; the first shows Mansfields position on 05 October 2022 and the second shows it at the end of the season. If you think we need to hit panic stations give that a look first.

A lot of good work was spoilt by the final sentence.

It's like going on a two-week holiday to Gt Yarmouth because your mate had a hot and sunny fortnight last year. What's last year's weather got to do with anything when it's raining this year?
Yes, we are not totally useless, as you show, but yet here we are 10/30. The reason I'm "panicking" is I'm not sure Town will last if it goes down again, and if you have an honest look at 21/22 season Statistics show we shouldn't have gone up, but we did. So that's statistics for you.
[/quote]

It's a nod to the catastrophic thinkers on the forum who have taken our form thus far and determined that it means we are going to struggle. Mansfield fans may well have been panicking yet patience paid off, same with Brizzle. There's nothing to say we'll replicate that at all, but I'd argue there's enough evidence to suggest that we are a few small tweaks and a good January window away from it being a reasonable possibility. Doncaster are similar for me and I think they'll be top half come the end of the season. In the same way that saying Mansfield/BR antics in 21/22 doesn't mean we'll do the same, saying that because we're 17th and only won 2 doesn't mean that that form will continue all season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 125
13 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.