MuddyWaters
September 30, 2023, 8:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,260
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from cardiffmariner

We can beg to differ but as far I'm concerned the summer signings are, on the whole, an improvement on what we had last season.

I also think that the obvious change in style (high press) is an evolution from last season, albeit one that hasn't yet (9 games guys!) transferred itself into more point on the board.

I've only seen 3 games so far (Salford, Bradford and today) and I'd say there's been some decent quality and entertainment. I thought today was a good match.

I totally get that too many of Hurst's games in charge have been poor on both fronts but I do think there are obvious efforts to improve on that this season.

Conteh, Eisa, Rodgers and Rose are an undoubted improvement but we have no midfield runners to link the play and create an open play threat. Entertainment levels remain poor and 2 wins from 13 competitive games is surely not good enough. How long does he get a free ride because, although the parts seem better, the sum of the parts flatters to deceive.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 125
forza ivano
September 30, 2023, 8:15pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,206
Gold Stars: 265
My first time of seeing hem live this season. Main points
lot of people commenting who weren't actually at the game
it was a decent performance, as witnessed by the comments on here from those who were there, plus our slightly disappointing turnout of fans, stayed and applauded them - no boos or negativity.
Swindon were out on their feet at the final whistle - lying down, exhausted, which rather shows the pressure we put them under.
they were clinical with their finishing, we weren't
nobody had  a bad game, although nobody was particularly outstanding
Very impressed with Mullarkey & Rose. Thought Efete & Waterfall did well, given the previous criticisms
Didn't really think there was much difference in Clifton's level of performance compared to last season
thought we deserved a point; they were really rattled once we got 1 back
overall the quality of our play and players looked  a notch or 2 higher last season (but then the whole division may be the same)
Overall it looked like a good side against a decent mid table side
we looked at the table - 1 game so far versus the bottom 10, 8 against the top 8. It's been bloody tough
We are not  a bad side; suspect we won't be up there, but we are in no danger of a relegation battle
thought it was going to be awful, but came away much more enthused
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 125
MuddyWaters
September 30, 2023, 8:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,260
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from forza ivano
My first time of seeing hem live this season. Main points
lot of people commenting who weren't actually at the game
it was a decent performance, as witnessed by the comments on here from those who were there, plus our slightly disappointing turnout of fans, stayed and applauded them - no boos or negativity.
Swindon were out on their feet at the final whistle - lying down, exhausted, which rather shows the pressure we put them under.
they were clinical with their finishing, we weren't
nobody had  a bad game, although nobody was particularly outstanding
Very impressed with Mullarkey & Rose. Thought Efete & Waterfall did well, given the previous criticisms
Didn't really think there was much difference in Clifton's level of performance compared to last season
thought we deserved a point; they were really rattled once we got 1 back
overall the quality of our play and players looked  a notch or 2 higher last season (but then the whole division may be the same)
Overall it looked like a good side against a decent mid table side
we looked at the table - 1 game so far versus the bottom 10, 8 against the top 8. It's been bloody tough
We are not  a bad side; suspect we won't be up there, but we are in no danger of a relegation battle
thought it was going to be awful, but came away much more enthused

And therein lies the problem. We’ve still not recruited the striker that would turn us into a good side. Mid table is the limit of our ambition.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 125
toontown
September 30, 2023, 8:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,280
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from MuddyWaters

And therein lies the problem. We’ve still not recruited the striker that would turn us into a good side. Mid table is the limit of our ambition.

We've not even recruited enough strikers - every season under Hurst mk2 we are a striker short and then have to to rectify it mid season. To do it for a 3rd time, after all the cup money, is really poor I'm afraid.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 125
Vance Warner
September 30, 2023, 8:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,810
Gold Stars: 102
No such thing as a rational response to a defeat these days. It is what it is - we played a top half team away from home without our best player and dominated for large spells but couldn’t convert our chances. No need to panic. Anyone who can’t see a change to our approach this season doesn’t understand football. Our other managers in the past 15 years are Newell, Woods, Bignot, Slade, Jolley and Holloway - which of those have provided more entertainment that Hurst?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 125
The Caterham Mariner
September 30, 2023, 9:12pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +92
Gold Stars: 8
Ok Swindon away
FOR ME my 1st game "With my own eyes!"  With 4 more to go see out the fixtures.
1st half mediocre = 1-0 down
Then 2nd half we went 2-0 down  OK  great to see PH chuck on 3 Subs ...straight away town exploded into life and we put a goal in!!
A possible draw was the possible outcome but no but yes the last 15 mins was a vast improvement on the first half...
Come on Town !!
UTM2023--24

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 125
Northbank Mariner
September 30, 2023, 9:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,486
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from Vance Warner
No such thing as a rational response to a defeat these days. It is what it is - we played a top half team away from home without our best player and dominated for large spells but couldn’t convert our chances. No need to panic. Anyone who can’t see a change to our approach this season doesn’t understand football. Our other managers in the past 15 years are Newell, Woods, Bignot, Slade, Jolley and Holloway - which of those have provided more entertainment that Hurst?  

Holloway had us playing a lot better football than Hurst, unfortunately covid and a friends suicide did for him.
Anybody who can't see we are not progressing doesn't understand football, we are 19th in league 2, had 2 wins in 13 games abd dropped 12 points from winning positions this season, going great innit!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 125
Vance Warner
September 30, 2023, 9:21pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,810
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Holloway had us playing a lot better football than Hurst, unfortunately covid and a friends suicide did for him.
Anybody who can't see we are not progressing doesn't understand football, we are 19th in league 2, had 2 wins in 13 games abd dropped 12 points from winning positions this season, going great innit!!

Sorry but people who understand football don’t wet themselves about the league position after ten games when the style and quality of football has clearly improved
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 125
Hagrid
September 30, 2023, 9:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,429
Gold Stars: 535

No he didnt. I’ve said this many times on here, the shortened covid season under him we were okay in parts, and dreadful in other games. Swindon at Home, Plymouth away, Even that Scunny game we won, lets not kid ourselves, we were poor. I completely disagree with you here
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 125
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
September 30, 2023, 9:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555

…what did for him was he was a c*nt and the only reason he was here in the first place was to try and cut some dodgy deal with Fenty. Once that plan was scuppered, he ran away like his own mouth.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 125
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.