September 30, 2023, 7:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,257
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from cardiffmariner

I don’t think that’s in doubt.

This idea from some that we/Hurst have gone ‘stale’ etc seems odd considering the obvious improvement and change in the way we play and the players we have.

The obvious improvement? Poor results and a continued lack of quality and entertainment is what’s on offer.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 125
September 30, 2023, 7:38pm
Guest User
The villagers have already decided Hurst is a witch. Thankfully the Witchfinder General is a thoughtful man and I doubt we’ll see Hurst burning at the stake this side of Christmas.
Reply: 21 - 125
lukeo
September 30, 2023, 7:41pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,375
Gold Stars: 148
First half they were the better side going forward, the extra over lapping runs through the middle as Auston dropped deep was killing us. 2nd half it was, in my opinion, all us except the 1 shot they scored and a possible penalty they probably should have had. We created a few chanced 2nd half and really should have stuck 1 or 2 away. Overall I feel a point a piece would have been a fair result but that's football for you.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 125
pontoonlew
September 30, 2023, 7:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,042
Gold Stars: 177
Heard Hurst make a very good point and one missed on here so far, Swindon 100% should’ve had a red for the last man challenge
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 125
wuffing
September 30, 2023, 7:48pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +838
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from pontoonlew
Heard Hurst make a very good point and one missed on here so far, Swindon 100% should’ve had a red for the last man challenge

That was a red card all day long...

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 125
Mariner93er
September 30, 2023, 7:49pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,738
Gold Stars: 28
Quoted from pontoonlew

I agree with the stale part. Maybe it’s just this level of football but genuinely how often do you walk away from our games feeling genuinely entertained?

This is the thing for me now. I have traditionally been a Hurst fan. I appreciate the work rate he instills in teams, and it's rare (if ever) I'd question his team's effort. That used to be enough, but after a decade, I find myself increasingly craving more attacking football. I'm not expecting Barcelona or anything, but it would be nice to see more attacking intent. The only games were we ever create much is against the quite risky teams like Notts and Crawley, which we lost. It's very rare that our wins are anything other than tight and scrappy, which is clearly a byproduct of Hurst's approach.

I like Hurst and would get no pleasure from seeing him sacked - not least because it means someone's out of a job. From a footballing viewpoint, I'm becoming increasingly bored watching us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 125
cardiffmariner
September 30, 2023, 7:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +1,321
Gold Stars: 24
Quoted from pontoonlew
Wilson’s goal was the most natural forward play I’ve seen in 2 seasons, promising it may be but it’s a reflection of just how toothless we’ve been.

Excellent point.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 125
Northbank Mariner
September 30, 2023, 7:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,480
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from Mariner93er

This is the thing for me now. I have traditionally been a Hurst fan. I appreciate the work rate he instills in teams, and it's rare (if ever) I'd question his team's effort. That used to be enough, but after a decade, I find myself increasingly craving more attacking football. I'm not expecting Barcelona or anything, but it would be nice to see more attacking intent. The only games were we ever create much is against the quite risky teams like Notts and Crawley, which we lost. It's very rare that our wins are anything other than tight and scrappy, which is clearly a byproduct of Hurst's approach.

I like Hurst and would get no pleasure from seeing him sacked - not least because it means someone's out of a job. From a footballing viewpoint, I'm becoming increasingly bored watching us.

And I've just said on twitter, at some point the crowds will dwindle due to his boring, anti football approach, and I honestly think that will be the wake up call the board requires, as the product is devalued, only then will they react. Although I have put my neck on the block about Stockwood being ready to pull the plug on Hurst previously, even I'm doubting my source for that information now tbh.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 125
cardiffmariner
September 30, 2023, 8:02pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

The obvious improvement? Poor results and a continued lack of quality and entertainment is what’s on offer.

We can beg to differ but as far I'm concerned the summer signings are, on the whole, an improvement on what we had last season.

I also think that the obvious change in style (high press) is an evolution from last season, albeit one that hasn't yet (9 games guys!) transferred itself into more point on the board.

I've only seen 3 games so far (Salford, Bradford and today) and I'd say there's been some decent quality and entertainment. I thought today was a good match.

I totally get that too many of Hurst's games in charge have been poor on both fronts but I do think there are obvious efforts to improve on that this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 125
cardiffmariner
September 30, 2023, 8:06pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

And I've just said on twitter, at some point the crowds will dwindle due to his boring, anti football approach, and I honestly think that will be the wake up call the board requires, as the product is devalued, only then will they react. Although I have put my neck on the block about Stockwood being ready to pull the plug on Hurst previously, even I'm doubting my source for that information now tbh.

I take your point and share your frustration but you simply could not call today a 'boring, anti football approach'.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 125
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.