18 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 All Recommend Thread
Mappers
July 15, 2023, 12:45pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,329
Gold Stars: 118
I have just watched the Debbie Cook interview on the club site.

Although the major work has been put back to next summer , some good work has gone on at BP .

Looks like toilets have been refurbished in The Main with a baby change added (very good) , a good few seats replaced and some other bits .

It might not be the major overhaul we all crave but it's great to see some tangible improvement and care for our old ground .

Well done to all involved .

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
lukeo
July 15, 2023, 1:03pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
I've just finished watching.
Unbelievable amount of effort put in this pre season (again). I'd love to see a 'then and now' album of what things looked like compared to now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 170
forza ivano
July 15, 2023, 1:37pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,204
Gold Stars: 265
any link to the Debbie Cook interview?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 170
sonofmadeleymariner
July 15, 2023, 1:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +20 / -9
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from forza ivano
any link to the Debbie Cook interview?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cky1nyYOar0

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 170
jimgtfc
July 15, 2023, 1:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,091
Gold Stars: 45
I’m all for any ground repairs / improvements, but I’d love to actually hear the long term plan for our home ground.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 170
sonofmadeleymariner
July 15, 2023, 1:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from jimgtfc
I’m all for any ground repairs / improvements, but I’d love to actually hear the long term plan for our home ground.

They've said multiple times for now we are staying at BP and are looking at possible ways of investing in BP

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 170
gytone
July 15, 2023, 1:49pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,029
Gold Stars: 8
I reckon next summer could see the roof of the main stand and possible extension being implemented, she almost said as much in her interview, also thought I read about some grants being available next summer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 170
GollyGTFC
July 15, 2023, 2:03pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,962
Gold Stars: 356

They've said multiple times for now we are staying at BP and are looking at possible ways of investing in BP

They've said no such thing. They have a policy of not talking about things until they have something concrete to announce.

All work at BP that has taken place and is planned is just to patch it up and keep parts of the ground open.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 7 - 170
July 15, 2023, 2:05pm
Guest User
It’s a massive task to turn around 20 years of decline, They’re doing an incredible job.
Reply: 8 - 170
LondonMariner43
July 15, 2023, 2:29pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,955
Gold Stars: 64
Lots of small details here that make a difference.  It seems obvious that improving facilities for players makes it more like that they’ll come here but it wasn’t obvious to the previous regime.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 170
Spurn boy
July 15, 2023, 3:11pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,240
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from gytone
I reckon next summer could see the roof of the main stand and possible extension being implemented, she almost said as much in her interview, also thought I read about some grants being available next summer.

I’m not sure if the Government Levelling up fund is available for football/ sports clubs but is available for cultural and community organisations, Blundell Park with its town location is definitely a community asset and maybe that’s what she was referring to.

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 170
promotion plaice
July 15, 2023, 3:16pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,076
Gold Stars: 198

Ground improvements:

Putting the temporary bar back in the entrance to the Findus would help, the queues in the lower bar are horrendous at half-time.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 170
jimgtfc
July 15, 2023, 5:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,091
Gold Stars: 45

Yeah I know, but they say that without really saying anything at all. Will we just keep replacing seats and painting the numbers for the next few years? I might sound ungrateful I know, and I really am grateful for everything they’ve done for this club, I’d just like to hear a tangible long term plan, like we’re looking at options for replacing the main or the findus or whatever. I don’t understand why it has to be all hush hush, same with the training ground.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 170
sonofmadeleymariner
July 15, 2023, 5:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from jimgtfc

Yeah I know, but they say that without really saying anything at all. Will we just keep replacing seats and painting the numbers for the next few years?

For the time being I think so. I think it was on the DN podcast they said at the back end of last season something along the lines of that there wasn't really the funding for a new ground at present and along with them both saying for a while that BP was enough for the time being I think we'll just see more investment in what we've got. Especially with what ls being spent on the training ground as well.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 170
LocalLadGTFC
July 15, 2023, 5:29pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,222
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from jimgtfc

Yeah I know, but they say that without really saying anything at all. Will we just keep replacing seats and painting the numbers for the next few years? I might sound ungrateful I know, and I really am grateful for everything they’ve done for this club, I’d just like to hear a tangible long term plan, like we’re looking at options for replacing the main or the findus or whatever. I don’t understand why it has to be all hush hush, same with the training ground.

At the fans forum I believe Andrew went a bit more in depth about what they're doing and the plans and I imagine with his background he's probably at the forefront of any discussions. Given he's the quieter of the 3 on social media etc is probably why it's an issue that's not really addressed as much as the others.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 14 - 170
The Caterham Mariner
July 15, 2023, 5:39pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +89
Gold Stars: 8

Ok  We're staying I can live with that so future improvements /investment / developements are
needed for BP  Please.
UTM 2023--24.

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 170
ginnywings
July 15, 2023, 6:49pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from jimgtfc

I think it's because they are not going to announce what they would like to do, only what they are going to do once it's beyond certain.

The training ground is the priority, and won't be cheap, but they won't announce their plans until all the contracts and permissions are done and dusted.

I think once the training ground is squared away, they will concentrate on the future of BP. Sort the playing side first, then develop the ground into a fit state to showcase what will hopefully be a much more talented and competitive team.

The alternative is plans that never come to fruition, and we all know how frustrating that is.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 170
It Bites
July 15, 2023, 7:13pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,209
It's all not good enough really . Look at Scunthorpe, they've closed , opened and closed their academy. They've moved to Ilkeston and back again . They're building a new ground, ready in 2 years , funded   by an enabling development and government money .

Our owners have laid some seed and fixed a bog
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 170
Mappers
July 15, 2023, 7:18pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from It Bites
It's all not good enough really . Look at Scunthorpe, they've closed , opened and closed their academy. They've moved to Ilkeston and back again . They're building a new ground, ready in 2 years , funded   by an enabling development and government money .

Our owners have laid some seed and fixed a bog

Christ don't give that cult following anymore ammo ,they will be saying we are envious of their primary non-funder next !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 170
It Bites
July 15, 2023, 7:22pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

Christ don't give that cult following anymore ammo ,they will be saying we are envious of their primary non-funder next !

😂😂😂😂 Sorry mate
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 170
MuddyWaters
July 15, 2023, 7:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from gytone

The tender process for the Main Stand works happened. There’s apparently a good reason why the work didn’t.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 170
jamesgtfc
July 15, 2023, 7:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,966
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from GollyGTFC

They've said no such thing. They have a policy of not talking about things until they have something concrete to announce.

All work at BP that has taken place and is planned is just to patch it up and keep parts of the ground open.

I'm not fussed about the policy of not talking about things until it's actually happening. It's not exactly true though, because they have told us about some of their plans for the training ground.

All those drawings, baseball caps and photos with spades in the ground at Great Coates or Peaks Parkway achieved the square root of FA.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 170
forza ivano
July 15, 2023, 7:48pm

Exile
Quoted from MuddyWaters

The tender process for the Main Stand works happened. There’s apparently a good reason why the work didn’t.

that sounds cryptic - would you like to illuminate us further?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 170
HerveJosse
July 15, 2023, 8:15pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from forza ivano

that sounds cryptic - would you like to illuminate us further?

Usual reaction when a tender price is received post Brexit/covid/Ukraine is excrement we better have a rethink
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 170
LocalLadGTFC
July 15, 2023, 8:18pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,222
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from MuddyWaters

In Debbie's interview I believe she hinted at there being further funding available next year, i'm pretty sure someone on here said that aswell.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 24 - 170
TwoLeftFeet
July 15, 2023, 8:25pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,082
Gold Stars: 18
Thought it had been mentioned previously that as part of the new TV deal money will be available to EFL clubs to help with ground improvements and training grounds, so they are hoping to access some of this..
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 170
jamesgtfc
July 15, 2023, 8:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I suppose the work being a considerable deal more expensive or being eligible for a grant in 12 months time are very good reasons for that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 170
blundellpork
July 15, 2023, 11:42pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,655
Gold Stars: 32
Quoted from promotion plaice

Ground improvements:

Putting the temporary bar back in the entrance to the Findus would help, the queues in the lower bar are horrendous at half-time.

Access in and out of the Upper is poor with low crowds. A nearly sold out Upper, coupled with people standing around the lobby with beer in hand is a terrible idea.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 170
LH
July 16, 2023, 12:46am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,528
Gold Stars: 173
Quoted from promotion plaice

Ground improvements:

It was good to have the extra bar when the ground was half empty but it was overly cramped when we had a big crowd. Ferry the hospitality lot in from Cheapside on a coach, bin the car park off and have a giant outside bar there.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 170
arryarryarry
July 16, 2023, 5:07am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from MuddyWaters

JF and his ladder not available?
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 170
gtfc_chris
July 17, 2023, 1:27pm
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,465
Gold Stars: 114
I took my girls on the tour of BP the trust offered earlier in the year, and the tour guide mentioned there were plans to extend the Main Stand in the summer. I don't honestly know his name but I'm 99.9% sure he was a Trust Committee Member and so I took it as having a little more knowledge than your average without taking it as gospel fact.

I'm having a wonder and putting 2+2 together with a variety of answers, one of which being that if they've opted to look at ST sales this summer and see if it wasn't a promotion spike that happened last year before deciding whether to amalgamate necessary works alongside an extension or some other major development of the Main.

If this guy was 'in the know' of an extension that didn't come to fruition then perhaps it's a bit of leakage of conversations that are taking place with recognition of the increasing need, without it being fully rubber stamped.

Could be a million and one explanations to what is actually happening and I suppose we'll know for certain next summer when the work is carried out but I'm hopeful that something exciting will be on it's way next year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 170
1mickylyons
July 17, 2023, 1:38pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
The big thing with a revamped Main stand offering decent views is fans relocating from other stands and a further uptake on Season Ticket sales. The main stand whilst not having the elevated view of the Upper is a closer to the pitch and usually several degrees warmer 😀.
I really hope to see this I think  can only be a positive for the club and another indicator of progress off the field from 1878.Hopefully the steadfast support from the fans over there reign gives them confidence that the greater together message goes both ways and is getting through.UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 170
WOZOFGRIMSBY
July 17, 2023, 2:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,842
Gold Stars: 178
After nigh on 20 years of promise after promise, I’d like to think that no news is good news and that until everything is signed off and 100% guaranteed, it’s only then that we will find anything out.

There’s been way too many arguments and vitriol passed due to the false plans and pie in the sky dreams from Timmy tyre kicker and his chums that if something is going to be done by 1878 then I’d think it’s more than likely going to happen.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 170
Heisenberg
July 17, 2023, 2:14pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,069
Gold Stars: 93
An extension to a decrepit fire hazard?! I would doubt it. Full demolition and an extended replacement including tying-in with the pontoon by way of a filled corner is required.

I know money is a huge issue, but these sticking plasters have got to stop. I’d rather they do nothing than do something half baked.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 170
Quagmire
July 17, 2023, 2:18pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +931
Gold Stars: 43
Daft question but .... is it in danger of becoming a listed building which would hamper any improvements or halt demolition?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 170
MuddyWaters
July 17, 2023, 3:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Heisenberg
An extension to a decrepit fire hazard?! I would doubt it. Full demolition and an extended replacement including tying-in with the pontoon by way of a filled corner is required.

I know money is a huge issue, but these sticking plasters have got to stop. I’d rather they do nothing than do something half baked.

For what it’s worth, I was told that the major works should have happened this summer but something bureaucratic got in the way.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 170
Oly1987
July 17, 2023, 3:37pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,227
Gold Stars: 22
We have room within the stadium could we not work round piece by piece? So start by building a completely new stand in the corner of the main/pontoon connecting to the pontoon, then working our way across the main stand closing off sections with the new build offsetting the lost seats while we work, with the end result being a new enclosed stand running around 3 sides of the pitch with an overall net increase in capacity?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 170
arryarryarry
July 17, 2023, 3:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
After nigh on 20 years of promise after promise, I’d like to think that no news is good news and that until everything is signed off and 100% guaranteed, it’s only then that we will find anything out.

There’s been way too many arguments and vitriol passed due to the false plans and pie in the sky dreams from Timmy tyre kicker and his chums that if something is going to be done by 1878 then I’d think it’s more than likely going to happen.

I think it was Chairman Bill Carr that made the first announcement of a new ground.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 170
ska face
July 17, 2023, 4:08pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
A good source has told me that moving walkways are to be installed at the front of each stand so that early-leavers don’t linger around blocking everyone’s view.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 170
forza ivano
July 17, 2023, 5:20pm

Exile
Quoted from Heisenberg

I really don't think it's in Andrew & Jason's nature to do Anything 'half baked'!

Didn't Debbie say in her interview that grants were becoming available next year, so it made sense to delay the major works by a year.
It all sounds very interesting if the stuff about an extension is valid. Also the poster who said about them wanting to see if the massive STH sales were a flash in the pan, sounds very 1878!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 170
Limerick Mariner
July 17, 2023, 5:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,701
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from ska face
A good source has told me that moving walkways are to be installed at the front of each stand so that early-leavers don’t linger around blocking everyone’s view.

Do they have the “Barnet” reverse gear functionality -  for when we are 3-1 down against mediocre opposition with a panicking defence when we pull one back?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 170
GollyGTFC
July 17, 2023, 6:04pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

I really don't think it's in Andrew & Jason's nature to do Anything 'half baked'!

Didn't Debbie say in her interview that grants were becoming available next year, so it made sense to delay the major works by a year.
It all sounds very interesting if the stuff about an extension is valid. Also the poster who said about them wanting to see if the massive STH sales were a flash in the pan, sounds very 1878!

Premier League solidarity payments to the EFL are increasing and the PL wants the increase to be directed towards infrastructure projects rather than just going on increased wages for players. I'm guessing JS & AP are hoping for a structure to be put in place that will deliver the new training ground and make a new stadium viable in their heads.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 41 - 170
Mappers
July 17, 2023, 6:06pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Premier League solidarity payments to the EFL are increasing and the PL wants the increase to be directed towards infrastructure projects rather than just going on increased wages for players. I'm guessing JS & AP are hoping for a structure to be put in place that will deliver the new training ground and make a new stadium viable in their heads.

That's their hope and it would be great ,but I'm  sure clubs will find loopholes to chase the dream and spunk it away on player salaries .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 170
Heisenberg
July 17, 2023, 6:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

That's their hope and it would be great ,but I'm  sure clubs will find loopholes to chase the dream and spunk it away on player salaries .

Loopholes should result in points deductions on this one. That money HAS to be used on infrastructure. Football is on a slippery slope, and using the EPL money wisely can start the fixing process. Losing their confidence could f#ck things up forever for ‘the likes of Grimsby’.

I have no doubt we’ll do the right thing, but someone’s bound to mess it up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 170
Southwark Mariner
July 17, 2023, 6:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,550
Gold Stars: 83
Perhaps they meant a more permanent division of the Osmond in favour of home fans?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 170
Norseman
July 17, 2023, 11:25pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 48
I know money is tight but would have been nice for all toilets to be upgraded ,hot water and electric handryers .It is 2023
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 170
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
July 18, 2023, 12:30am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +846
Gold Stars: 117
If they know the grants are to be available next year (is that January or the start of next season?) then they could fence the gap off between the Pontoon and Main, and start building something now. As long as the upfront costs are covered by 1878, they will get their monies back

The only things that would need a temorary home would be the announcers box, and the Match Commander/Police Box. A two storey temporary structure could easily be erected either between the Lower and Pontoon or Lower and Osmond
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 170
GYinScuntland
July 18, 2023, 1:28am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from Oly1987
We have room within the stadium could we not work round piece by piece? So start by building a completely new stand in the corner of the main/pontoon connecting to the pontoon, then working our way across the main stand closing off sections with the new build offsetting the lost seats while we work, with the end result being a new enclosed stand running around 3 sides of the pitch with an overall net increase in capacity?

I'm absolutely sure that many years ago Notts County rebuilt their ground in the close season. If not all the ground, I'm sure it was three of the sides.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 170
lukeo
July 18, 2023, 5:14am
Season Ticket Holder
Total guess but IF they're revamping / rebuilding the main stand it wouldn't suprise me if they extend it to the police box. That'd give us an extra couple hundred seats and providing they update the roof situation a couple hundred extra non restricted seats
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 170
fishboyUTM
July 18, 2023, 7:27am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,068
Gold Stars: 40
It's videos like these that make me so grateful Fenty has gone. And Jason and Andrew are our owners. Their team headed by Debbie are in a different world to what we had before. That man wasted 17 years of my time and passion, I can't wait to see us fly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 170
Mariner_09
July 18, 2023, 10:51am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Interesting to see that, apart from against Wimbledon and Mansfield, we're opening the bigger (1,200 seats) section of the Osmond to Town fans. Good move that, should mean anyone who wants a seat can get one.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 170
Poojah
July 18, 2023, 11:12am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,578
Gold Stars: 1,502
A slight shame that Wimbledon will fall between the two extremes of being sufficiently accommodated within the Osmond’s smaller section and filling the larger section. I’d imagine we could have sold the 1,200 seats to home fans had they been available.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 170
OddShapedBalls
July 18, 2023, 12:01pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,191
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from Mappers

'Tshimanga joinery services contracted for £5k a week for 2 years worth of....repairs...'
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 170
jamesgtfc
July 18, 2023, 12:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mariner_09
Interesting to see that, apart from against Wimbledon and Mansfield, we're opening the bigger (1,200 seats) section of the Osmond to Town fans. Good move that, should mean anyone who wants a seat can get one.

We have to offer 10% of our capacity (850-950) but the segregation of the Osmond is 1200/600. Sounds like we have been proactive at checking what clubs will want which is great news. If we increase the capacity of BP beyond 12k, we would need to give some clubs all of the Osmond due to the segregation in place. If our capacity went over 12k, we would need a solution for cup games where you need to offer 15% of your capacity.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 170
gtfc_chris
July 18, 2023, 12:12pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

We have to offer 10% of our capacity (850-950) but the segregation of the Osmond is 1200/600. Sounds like we have been proactive at checking what clubs will want which is great news. If we increase the capacity of BP beyond 12k, we would need to give some clubs all of the Osmond due to the segregation in place. If our capacity went over 12k, we would need a solution for cup games where you need to offer 15% of your capacity.

I'm far from an expert on this, but isn't it a case that opposition can be allocated less than 15% on Police or Safety advice? Sure I saw that happened between Arsenal and Man Utd. If that were true I would imagine we would look at circumventing it by citing we can't provide adequate and safe segregation of fans and we will give the maximum we have available within those constraints.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 170
Limerick Mariner
July 18, 2023, 12:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
If Gillingham have a good start they might fill the smaller section. I hadn’t particularly noticed it tbh, but for away followings, our home fixtures have indeed fallen in a lop-sided way, with all the big games but Mansfield in the second half of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 170
Mariner_09
July 18, 2023, 12:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
If Gillingham have a good start they might fill the smaller section. I hadn’t particularly noticed it tbh, but for away followings, our home fixtures have indeed fallen in a lop-sided way, with all the big games but Mansfield in the second half of the season.

Flip side of that is we got all the best away days in the first half of the season when we've got something to play for (Notts County, Bradford, Donny, Stockport) unlike last season when all the decent ones (bar Orient and Stockport) were when the season was dead.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 170
jamesgtfc
July 18, 2023, 12:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from gtfc_chris

I'm far from an expert on this, but isn't it a case that opposition can be allocated less than 15% on Police or Safety advice? Sure I saw that happened between Arsenal and Man Utd. If that were true I would imagine we would look at circumventing it by citing we can't provide adequate and safe segregation of fans and we will give the maximum we have available within those constraints.

Possibly, but there is also the risk that they could make us switch stands for cup games. The Main Stand currently holds 2200 and the Findus holds about 2800. That is a risk that would just need managing and factoring in as part of any extension.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 170
Mappers
July 18, 2023, 12:27pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Yeah if we ever did increase at BP keeping it to 11900 might be advisable
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 170
jamesgtfc
July 18, 2023, 12:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

Yeah if we ever did increase at BP keeping it to 11900 might be advisable

If you filled the corners in, you would just need to plan segregations accordingly, as telling STHs in the Main Stand they have to move behind the goal if they want to attend Man Utd at home isn't going to generate a positive reaction.

Could you realistically take BP above 12k anyway? I doubt we could increase the Main Stand height and I suspect any extension of the Findus wouldn't be at the same height.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 170
ska face
July 18, 2023, 1:13pm

Vodka Drinker
If you mirrored the layout of the Main Stand, extending it up to the Pontoon, you’d get just under another 1100 seats in there, give or take a row or two.

Like we’ve said before though, there’s no point extending the stand with the same design as it currently has as the roof pitch and all the supporting posts means you’ve got probably 10-15% of seats with a restricted view.

Not sure if Archibald Leitch posts on here but if you’re doing the work you might as well stick a different roof on. Can this be done with a 100-year-old structure? Who knows. An architect probably.
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 170
Mappers
July 18, 2023, 1:18pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

If you filled the corners in, you would just need to plan segregations accordingly, as telling STHs in the Main Stand they have to move behind the goal if they want to attend Man Utd at home isn't going to generate a positive reaction.

Could you realistically take BP above 12k anyway? I doubt we could increase the Main Stand height and I suspect any extension of the Findus wouldn't be at the same height.

Realistically would we ever need that much more than that ?

Attendance wise i see us as a club who could probably get 10-12k regularly if doing well but not sure if much more than that ; similiar to Stockport, Rotherham , Luton and Lincoln really not a small club attendance wise  but not a big one we are sort of stuck in between aren't we - when people say we are 'massive ' or Colchester Utd & Newport fans/manager put is in a lower or similiar category to them it's quite laughable though as in terms of crowds we are far bigger and have more potential .

You would think our natural level if you go on crowds alone is around slap bang in the middle of league one , if we improved BP and increased capacity - when you think about it we have spent 30 years with over achieving for 10 and then underachieving for 20 really,really badly with not much in between - it would be nice to play at what i think is our natural level for a bit , much like it's nice our neighbours have finally reached their's .  

If we went through the leagues and the amount you need to be competitive ,crowds are basically irrelevant as Luton , Bounemouth and Brentford prove - player trading , TV money and commercial dwarf any gate receipts hence the none greedy selling tickets for cheaper or on par with lower league clubs .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 170
forza ivano
July 18, 2023, 4:38pm

Exile
Mappers, I sort of agree with you, but to double the number of sth when we are not far off our lowest ebb is startling.and all the chat is we could potentially do far more if the capacity, 'experience' ,facilities n ticketing is improved further
Likewise the away support now is probably the highest , the most committed n the most fervent I've seen in 50+ years of supporting town.
The other thing to factor in is that 1878 have only just scratched the surface in terms of commercial opportunities trying to attract new fans  ,re energizing lapsed fans, mobilise exiles, n maybe with the new documentary series attracting a new wave of fans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 170
diehardmariner
July 18, 2023, 4:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
I'm honestly not sure what the expectation should be or what our natural ceiling is today.

Historical comparison isn't valid.  We're getting more at this level than we were 30 years ago in the second tier.  The game is more popular now, probably a result of many things but none more so than the taboo that was associated with football in the late 80's/early 90's and then the knock-on years from that.  More exposure to the overall game, arguably even that knock-on of over saturation at the top which potentially has seen greater interest in local teams...bigger brains than mine to look at that.  Either way, the game is more popular.

We've also got a excrement position in which we can't say what the actual demand is for good seats.  Anecdotally we know that some people aren't getting to games because seats aren't available that they want (good views or not available in pairs, three's etc). But we've no data to back this up.  Equally so there's that cluster of sold tickets but never used, which are arguably eating into the demand piece of the pie.

I'm a big believer in both building it and they'll come and aiming as high as possible.  I'm not suggesting we build a 25,000 seater like Darlington. But I don't think we need to confine ourselves to a capacity of 10-12,000.

Ultimately people want to be entertained and they want to be entertained in good surroundings.  Entertainment wise we've actually done little of it on our own turf in recent years, most of it has come on the road.  Our surroundings are awful.  Yet we've still significantly increased the number of tickets we're selling, I don't think it's a flash in the pan. This will be 3 seasons on the spin now where we've got very good numbers compared to the last 20 odd years.

If we were entertaining and the surroundings were nicer, what numbers would we be pulling in?  Our nearest professional rival is about to go belly-up, rightly or wrongly there's a generation or two of future fans that we might well be nabbing off them.  Whilst we are constrained geographically and population wise in the sense that the north and east are water, the south and west are pretty much a free-for-all for a good 15-20 miles.  Just like there's floating fans in NE Lincs, it's the same in North Lincs, East Lindsey, the northern parts of West Lindsey etc.  Caistor, Louth, Market Rasen, Brigg, Mablethorpe, Skegness....all places were we've traditionally drawn decent numbers from are all areas for potential fans to be drawn in from.  The more successful we are, the better the surroundings are and the more entertained people are the more those people will be interested and want to be involved.  

I'm with forza on this one, I think 1878 are only just starting with this.  It's not a criticism, far from it, but so far they've done very little.  They've made simple changes that should have already happened and have had a bit of relative luck in terms of we've had instant success via the play-offs and a cup run. What happens when they start really getting under the bonnet of it?
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 170
Mappers
July 18, 2023, 5:04pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano
Mappers, I sort of agree with you, but to double the number of sth when we are not far off our lowest ebb is startling.and all the chat is we could potentially do far more if the capacity, 'experience' ,facilities n ticketing is improved further
Likewise the away support now is probably the highest , the most committed n the most fervent I've seen in 50+ years of supporting town.
The other thing to factor in is that 1878 have only just scratched the surface in terms of commercial opportunities trying to attract new fans  ,re energizing lapsed fans, mobilise exiles, n maybe with the new documentary series attracting a new wave of fans

Don't disagree with you either mate

It's just my opinion , the truth is none of us know what the true potential is/isn't until we suitably upgrade the experience ,facilities and actually have a consistent spell of winning .

The away support is great , seriously worried for the Notts game ; although I have signed up to their ticket site and bought a ticket for their friendly as someone suggested on here ,so it might be the home end .Not missing that one .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 170
Mappers
July 18, 2023, 5:07pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner
I'm honestly not sure what the expectation should be or what our natural ceiling is today.

Historical comparison isn't valid.  We're getting more at this level than we were 30 years ago in the second tier.  The game is more popular now, probably a result of many things but none more so than the taboo that was associated with football in the late 80's/early 90's and then the knock-on years from that.  More exposure to the overall game, arguably even that knock-on of over saturation at the top which potentially has seen greater interest in local teams...bigger brains than mine to look at that.  Either way, the game is more popular.

We've also got a excrement position in which we can't say what the actual demand is for good seats.  Anecdotally we know that some people aren't getting to games because seats aren't available that they want (good views or not available in pairs, three's etc). But we've no data to back this up.  Equally so there's that cluster of sold tickets but never used, which are arguably eating into the demand piece of the pie.

I'm a big believer in both building it and they'll come and aiming as high as possible.  I'm not suggesting we build a 25,000 seater like Darlington. But I don't think we need to confine ourselves to a capacity of 10-12,000.

Ultimately people want to be entertained and they want to be entertained in good surroundings.  Entertainment wise we've actually done little of it on our own turf in recent years, most of it has come on the road.  Our surroundings are awful.  Yet we've still significantly increased the number of tickets we're selling, I don't think it's a flash in the pan. This will be 3 seasons on the spin now where we've got very good numbers compared to the last 20 odd years.

If we were entertaining and the surroundings were nicer, what numbers would we be pulling in?  Our nearest professional rival is about to go belly-up, rightly or wrongly there's a generation or two of future fans that we might well be nabbing off them.  Whilst we are constrained geographically and population wise in the sense that the north and east are water, the south and west are pretty much a free-for-all for a good 15-20 miles.  Just like there's floating fans in NE Lincs, it's the same in North Lincs, East Lindsey, the northern parts of West Lindsey etc.  Caistor, Louth, Market Rasen, Brigg, Mablethorpe, Skegness....all places were we've traditionally drawn decent numbers from are all areas for potential fans to be drawn in from.  The more successful we are, the better the surroundings are and the more entertained people are the more those people will be interested and want to be involved.  

I'm with forza on this one, I think 1878 are only just starting with this.  It's not a criticism, far from it, but so far they've done very little.  They've made simple changes that should have already happened and have had a bit of relative luck in terms of we've had instant success via the play-offs and a cup run. What happens when they start really getting under the bonnet of it?

Good post mate
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 170
Limerick Mariner
July 18, 2023, 7:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Well the first half of this season will give an indication of potential support levels. We will have 7,900 home tickets available for all but 2 games. If we have a good start we’d need to be selling that out on Saturdays to give confidence on extending the Main
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 170
jamesgtfc
July 18, 2023, 7:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

Don't disagree with you either mate

It's just my opinion , the truth is none of us know what the true potential is/isn't until we suitably upgrade the experience ,facilities and actually have a consistent spell of winning .

The away support is great , seriously worried for the Notts game ; although I have signed up to their ticket site and bought a ticket for their friendly as someone suggested on here ,so it might be the home end .Not missing that one .

Hopefully Jason Herbert doesn't start supporting Notts if Scunny fold before then. He will want to see their ticket system so he can filter out people like you; again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 170
arryarryarry
July 18, 2023, 7:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I think it was when Furneaux was in charge there were plans and possibly a scale model of BP with a roof joining the pontoon to the mainstand as well as covering the two other corners so effectively a roof all round the ground.
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 170
crusty ole pie
July 18, 2023, 7:55pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,350
Gold Stars: 66
Quoted from arryarryarry
I think it was when Furneaux was in charge there were plans and possibly a scale model of BP with a roof joining the pontoon to the mainstand as well as covering the two other corners so effectively a roof all round the ground.

I can’t recall this
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 170
White_shorts
July 18, 2023, 8:08pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -647
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Could you realistically take BP above 12k anyway?

I don't think the council would give permission to increase the capacity of BP to more than 10k.

Extending the Main Stand would improve match atmosphere a little bit, but still be inadequate for the Championship.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 170
grimps
July 18, 2023, 8:12pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,129
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from White_shorts

I don't think the council would give permission to increase the capacity of BP to more than 10k.

Extending the Main Stand would improve match atmosphere a little bit, but still be inadequate for the Championship.

I can’t see why not ?
It’s held a lot more in the not so distant past .
Other than some traffic 45 mins either side of kick off what difference will it make ?

There’s not enough street parking near the ground when we have crowds of 5000 so bigger crowds will only encourage fans to park in Cleethorpes or towards Freeman street which would help businesses in both
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 170
White_shorts
July 18, 2023, 8:18pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from Mappers
Realistically would we ever need that much more than that ?

Attendance wise i see us as a club who could probably get 10-12k regularly if doing well but not sure if much more than that.

Let's be optimistic: imagine it's the final day of the 2027-28 Championship season.  Grimsby Town have a home game against Sunderland.  The winners are guaranteed a place in the play-offs.  Do you think 12k would be adequate for the number of supporters wishing to attend?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 170
ska face
July 18, 2023, 8:23pm

Vodka Drinker
What’s the alternative, build a new ground with magic beans?
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 170
aldi_01
July 18, 2023, 8:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from White_shorts

Let's be optimistic: imagine it's the final day of the 2027-28 Championship season.  Grimsby Town have a home game against Sunderland.  The winners are guaranteed a place in the play-offs.  Do you think 12k would be adequate for the number of supporters wishing to attend?

What? So we build a ground with magic beans simply to accommodate a few fair weather types who fancy getting involved because there’s a sniff of the big time.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 170
Sussexmariner
July 18, 2023, 8:30pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +618
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from White_shorts

Alternatively…..it’s a Tuesday night in January, Town have a home game against  fellow mid table opponents Preston North End. Do you think 12-13k would be adequate?

Are we any closer to getting promoted since Hurst has been here? No

Has he been given time to achieve promotion by the chairman and fans? Yes

Hurst out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 170
ginnywings
July 18, 2023, 8:32pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from ska face

We could tap up the Qatari's after tonight's game.

Would you like to cough up for a new stadium in a beautiful beachside location?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 170
grimps
July 18, 2023, 8:33pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

What? So we build a ground with magic beans simply to accommodate a few fair weather types who fancy getting involved because there’s a sniff of the big time.

No we build it with the intention of filling it one day and not being held back.
If Lincoln , Donny and Rotherham can get crowds of 10000 we can get more as historically we’ve always got better support than all of them.
This isn’t the 80s 90s or even the early 2000s anymore .
People up and down the Country are flocking back to support their local league clubs.
Right now we’re not in a position to capitalise on that
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 170
GollyGTFC
July 18, 2023, 8:34pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ska face

We're talking about something that countless Football and Rugby clubs have successfully delivered over the past 30 years. The difficulties of delivering it might be more significant now than in the past, but if we want the club to compete with the clubs we used to walk all over and outperform we need to maximise our turnover by having a stadium that is open and generating income 7 days a week, 52 weeks of the year. BP can never do that.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 78 - 170
Mappers
July 18, 2023, 8:48pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from grimps

No we build it with the intention of filling it one day and not being held back.
If Lincoln , Donny and Rotherham can get crowds of 10000 we can get more as historically we’ve always got better support than all of them.
This isn’t the 80s 90s or even the early 2000s anymore .
People up and down the Country are flocking back to support their local league clubs.
Right now we’re not in a position to capitalise on that

I think Donny are the wrong example (the other 2 good one's)  ,crowds inflated by a large away end (which is another argument for more capacity actually , so a contradiction ) but their home attendances are probably 4 or 5k most weeks , would be interesting to see if they go up a lot if they do well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 170
jamesgtfc
July 18, 2023, 8:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

We're talking about something that countless Football and Rugby clubs have successfully delivered over the past 30 years. The difficulties of delivering it might be more significant now than in the past, but if we want the club to compete with the clubs we used to walk all over and outperform we need to maximise our turnover by having a stadium that is open and generating income 7 days a week, 52 weeks of the year. BP can never do that.

Countless teams have done it in the last 30 years, but how do you propose a new stadium for us is funded? York have a community stadium with the luxury of a rugby club as a tenant too.

Most of us acknowledge that BP isn't ideal for the long-term future, but nobody has put forward a viable method of funding it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 170
Mappers
July 18, 2023, 8:51pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Hopefully Jason Herbert doesn't start supporting Notts if Scunny fold before then. He will want to see their ticket system so he can filter out people like you; again.

Probably wonder if sherbert has banned anymore lol
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 170
crusty ole pie
July 18, 2023, 8:53pm

Whiskey Drinker
I can see the lads in the pontoon top corner relocating to the osmand behind the goal ( when allowed) this will improve match day atmosphere enormously vocal support from all areas
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 170
grimps
July 18, 2023, 8:55pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

I think Donny are the wrong example (the other 2 good one's)  ,crowds inflated by a large away end (which is another argument for more capacity actually , so a contradiction ) but their home attendances are probably 4 or 5k most weeks , would be interesting to see if they go up a lot if they do well.

Yeah but they used to be lucky if they got 2000 back in the days when we was getting double that in the 80s and 90s .
If we was ever to get back in the Championship we’d be needing an away end that could hold at least 3000 probably more which would be filled 10 times a season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 170
Mappers
July 18, 2023, 9:05pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from grimps

Yeah but they used to be lucky if they got 2000 back in the days when we was getting double that in the 80s and 90s .
If we was ever to get back in the Championship we’d be needing an away end that could hold at least 3000 probably more which would be filled 10 times a season

Ohh yeah I remember mate , Disco Des at Belle Vue in all it's glory .

I don't disagree about the away end even in league 1 8 to 10 teams would fill it + so what would we do restrict them to the 1200 when we will take a shed load more .

I suppose if you look at Donny as an example that's them effectively making what 3000 ££££ more in the direct games against us because we can't give them anymore than 1200 and Notts County ,Bradford minimum who could bring what 3000+ on a good day if we had room ?

I think we all agree we need some sort of change , it's just none of us know how ; I would hope Stockwood and Pettit have included it in that 10 year plan they talk about though .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 170
GollyGTFC
July 18, 2023, 9:05pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Countless teams have done it in the last 30 years, but how do you propose a new stadium for us is funded? York have a community stadium with the luxury of a rugby club as a tenant too.

Most of us acknowledge that BP isn't ideal for the long-term future, but nobody has put forward a viable method of funding it.

We only finished paying off the Findus Stand 4 or 5 years ago. I can't remember anyone complaining about how repaying the mortgage on it was holding us back.

How to fund it...

External Investment.
Grants. (Leveling up money or the likely PL infrastructure solidarity system)
Council funds. (Them paying for the road improvements that would open up a site for redevelopment)
Loan/Mortgage.
Naming Rights for new stadium & individual stands).
Increased match day hospitality income.
Increased non-match day hospitality income.
Increased match day ticket income.
Increased match day bar & food income.
Rental income from building things into the stadium (such as a gym, office space etc.. PNE have an NHS Walk in centre built into their newest stand & a McDonald's drive thru is built in Stadium MK).
Selling off or redeveloping Blundell Park (the site is big enough for over 100 residential units)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 85 - 170
diehardmariner
July 18, 2023, 9:40pm
Vodka Drinker
They're all good suggestions Golly, but I think we've missed the boat on a lot of them.

Enabling developments are dead at the minute. There's enough prime retail and business space available to negate a need for  anyone to attach a business to a football ground.

The Gym Group set up a 24/7 in Grimsby very recently. Empty unit in a retail park, very accessible and central location, free parking. By all accounts got a very good deal on it as the landlords were desperate to fill it and recognised they'll struggle to do so otherwise.  That wasn't the case even 5 years ago.

I don't know what the situation is presently on funding and grants but the sheer costs of a new ground would surely make them look like drops in the ocean. I guess the same when comparing the mortgage on the Findus to a new ground too.

We need to do something and the typical Grimsby mentality of "well we've not had gates over 8,000 since 1996 so let's not strive to get better than that.. ." smacks of the reasons the place will never progress or even hold its ground.

I just don't think that something has an easy solution.
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 170
Limerick Mariner
July 18, 2023, 10:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

Its more difficult to compare attendances now because some clubs declare tickets sold and others, including us, actual attendance. I think Donny’s home fan numbers are well down on ours.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 170
jamesgtfc
July 18, 2023, 10:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

We only finished paying off the Findus Stand 4 or 5 years ago. I can't remember anyone complaining about how repaying the mortgage on it was holding us back.

How to fund it...

External Investment.
Grants. (Leveling up money or the likely PL infrastructure solidarity system)
Council funds. (Them paying for the road improvements that would open up a site for redevelopment)
Loan/Mortgage.
Naming Rights for new stadium & individual stands).
Increased match day hospitality income.
Increased non-match day hospitality income.
Increased match day ticket income.
Increased match day bar & food income.
Rental income from building things into the stadium (such as a gym, office space etc.. PNE have an NHS Walk in centre built into their newest stand & a McDonald's drive thru is built in Stadium MK).
Selling off or redeveloping Blundell Park (the site is big enough for over 100 residential units)

A suitable stadium would realistically cost north of £30m. I doubt anyone is going to pay us a significant sum of that for the naming rights of our 4th tier (currently) stadium.

There are loads of empty retail units around the town, so I can't see any major chains being keen to throw some money at our new stadium. The only way you will get the NHS as a tenant is by having a town centre location as that helps with their net zero strategy. Unfortunately NELC have other plans for our town centre, which potentially involves the NHS too.

100 houses on BP? I can't imagine them being worth a great deal. Every little helps and all that, but still.

Building costs are astronomical at the moment, and a new stadium financed that way would absolutely cripple us.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 170
toontown
July 18, 2023, 11:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Its more difficult to compare attendances now because some clubs declare tickets sold and others, including us, actual attendance. I think Donny’s home fan numbers are well down on ours.

Yeah, it makes our support seem smaller than it is - we have hundreds of empty season ticket seats sometimes!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 170
WOZOFGRIMSBY
July 19, 2023, 12:17am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

A suitable stadium would realistically cost north of £30m. I doubt anyone is going to pay us a significant sum of that for the naming rights of our 4th tier (currently) stadium.

There are loads of empty retail units around the town, so I can't see any major chains being keen to throw some money at our new stadium. The only way you will get the NHS as a tenant is by having a town centre location as that helps with their net zero strategy. Unfortunately NELC have other plans for our town centre, which potentially involves the NHS too.

100 houses on BP? I can't imagine them being worth a great deal. Every little helps and all that, but still.

Building costs are astronomical at the moment, and a new stadium financed that way would absolutely cripple us.

Can we tap into anything that the Humber freeport is bringing to the area? Tax free areas, areas that will be getting a link through the need for redevelopment?

It just seems that the argument will carry on and on forever . Maybe until there seems to be a slightest sense of movement/upgrade, we can all chill out

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 170
Maringer
July 19, 2023, 8:08am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,541
Gold Stars: 185
Freeports are all about dodging tax, turning a blind eye to criminality and only ever lead to low-paid jobs. Don't expect it to do anything much for the area - unless you're a slightly unscrupulous businessman or can persuade somebody to shut down a factory elsewhere in the UK to move the jobs here. Only the folk at the top will make any money. Massive corruption going on at the Teesside freeport as uncovered by Private Eye and the government are even pretending to investigate their shenanigans (before they clear them of deliberate wrongdoing, no doubt).

We had freeports in the UK for 20-odd years until 2012 before they were closed down because they didn't achieve anything.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 170
Theimperialcoroner
July 19, 2023, 8:43am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,210
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from Maringer
Freeports are all about dodging tax, turning a blind eye to criminality and only ever lead to low-paid jobs. Don't expect it to do anything much for the area - unless you're a slightly unscrupulous businessman or can persuade somebody to shut down a factory elsewhere in the UK to move the jobs here. Only the folk at the top will make any money. Massive corruption going on at the Teesside freeport as uncovered by Private Eye and the government are even pretending to investigate their shenanigans (before they clear them of deliberate wrongdoing, no doubt).

We had freeports in the UK for 20-odd years until 2012 before they were closed down because they didn't achieve anything.

You are 100% right they are a spivs dream. All about reducing pesky legislation like tax and employment laws. I’d not want our football club to have anything to do with them.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 170
GrimPol
July 19, 2023, 8:44am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from Maringer

Humber Freeport is not Teeside.
Freeports in UK shutdown due to EU and Cameron socialist view on business.
Best place for GTFC is in its historic place of BP from a financial and community aspect. Take Boston Community Stadium, where is the community? Its miles away.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 170
diehardmariner
July 19, 2023, 9:15am
Vodka Drinker
No argument from the majority that the stadium should be central and accessible.  

Not convinced that Blundell Park is the best place for that though, not at present anyway.  If we're going pie in the sky and not worrying ourselves too much with realities, I would have thought the White Elephant regeneration of Grimsby Town centre would have been the absolute perfect place to tie in regeneration funds and a new stadium.

Keeps everything central, accessible, right on a train line and all local bus services and fills space that's largely empty at present.

Quite a few years back I was told that part of the 'plan' for the stadium on the former Freemo flats would have involved NELC as the anchor tenants (or vice-versa) with their main hub sites moving to the site too.  How much truth was in that I don't know but it made sense and fitted with the councils plans to reduce the number of their buildings and centralise the ones that remained.
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 170
grimps
July 19, 2023, 9:36am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
No argument from the majority that the stadium should be central and accessible.  

Not convinced that Blundell Park is the best place for that though, not at present anyway.  If we're going pie in the sky and not worrying ourselves too much with realities, I would have thought the White Elephant regeneration of Grimsby Town centre would have been the absolute perfect place to tie in regeneration funds and a new stadium.

Keeps everything central, accessible, right on a train line and all local bus services and fills space that's largely empty at present.

Quite a few years back I was told that part of the 'plan' for the stadium on the former Freemo flats would have involved NELC as the anchor tenants (or vice-versa) with their main hub sites moving to the site too.  How much truth was in that I don't know but it made sense and fitted with the councils plans to reduce the number of their buildings and centralise the ones that remained.

I think the ship has sailed now but the only thing that would ever have brought some life back to Freemo would have been the football stadium.

I’ve got a feeling Grimsby Town centre is going the same way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 170
rancido
July 19, 2023, 10:48am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
The Main Stand is an area that certainly crops up frequently when BP development is concerned. A lot of the criticism seems to include obstructed views. Having not been in the Main Stand for over 50 years I am not sure what the problems are but appear to be the great number of roof supports and poor viewing from the highest seats at the back.
Now I don't profess to have any experience in structural engineering or architecture but I'm sure with modern materials and building techniques these problems could be overcome. However, if this was cost effective is a totally different question.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 170
TownSNAFU5
July 19, 2023, 11:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,882
Gold Stars: 42
There are other possible benefits of a new stadium (nothing major).  York’s new ground has hosted women’s football matches, rugby and top friendlies.  Most at national or international level.

These raise the profile of a club rather than bringing in a lot of money.  Everything helps though.  Even at BP we hosted an England youth match in which Raheem Sterling played.  A new stadium would be more attractive for similar matches.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 170
WOZOFGRIMSBY
July 19, 2023, 11:37am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

Never realised that. I stand corrected.

I honestly thought it was all about bringing a touch of prosperity to the area and something that the club could utilise to their advantage.

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 170
Maringer
July 19, 2023, 12:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

I honestly thought it was all about bringing a touch of prosperity to the area and something that the club could utilise to their advantage.

It would be nice if that was the case! Only thing which can bring prosperity is investments for new industry/business and that isn't coming from either the current Government or Starmer's party, assuming they get into power next year.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 170
GrimPol
July 19, 2023, 12:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69

I guess in 1899 nobody sat down and thought through the repercussions of allowing houses to hem in BP., shame but there we are.
Today Freemo would have been ideal, if BP history was overlooked, however the £20 million + build would put a heavy strain on GTFC finances hence team build for years to come.
Where is an Oil Sheikh when you need one?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 170
Captain Sensible
July 19, 2023, 12:57pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: +178
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from aldi_01

I don't know about magic beans, but perhaps we could build one with old shipping containers, like Qatar did for the world cup.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 170
GollyGTFC
July 19, 2023, 5:06pm

Whiskey Drinker
They're all good suggestions Golly, but I think we've missed the boat on a lot of them.

Enabling developments are dead at the minute. There's enough prime retail and business space available to negate a need for  anyone to attach a business to a football ground.

The Gym Group set up a 24/7 in Grimsby very recently. Empty unit in a retail park, very accessible and central location, free parking. By all accounts got a very good deal on it as the landlords were desperate to fill it and recognised they'll struggle to do so otherwise.  That wasn't the case even 5 years ago.

I don't know what the situation is presently on funding and grants but the sheer costs of a new ground would surely make them look like drops in the ocean. I guess the same when comparing the mortgage on the Findus to a new ground too.

We need to do something and the typical Grimsby mentality of "well we've not had gates over 8,000 since 1996 so let's not strive to get better than that.. ." smacks of the reasons the place will never progress or even hold its ground.

I just don't think that something has an easy solution.

The problem is we have no option but to find a solution. In the last 20 seasons of the 20th Century we ranked 40th in terms of average league finish.

Ahead of Bolton (42nd), Brighton (45th), Bristol City (46th), Reading (47th), Plymouth (50th), Fulham (51st), Brentford (52nd), Bournemouth (55th), Swansea (56th), Hull (57th) Rotherham (59th), Preston (62nd), Wigan (63rd), Burnley (64th), Blackpool (67th) & Cardiff (68th). Teams we can't dream of competing with now, but teams we got the better of over a sustained period.

The only way we can compete again is with a new stadium. Anything else means in the long term we will be consigned to being a bottom end EFL/National League club.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 102 - 170
Limerick Mariner
July 19, 2023, 5:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

The problem is we have no option but to find a solution. In the last 20 seasons of the 20th Century we ranked 40th in terms of average league finish.

Ahead of Bolton (42nd), Brighton (45th), Bristol City (46th), Reading (47th), Plymouth (50th), Fulham (51st), Brentford (52nd), Bournemouth (55th), Swansea (56th), Hull (57th) Rotherham (59th), Preston (62nd), Wigan (63rd), Burnley (64th), Blackpool (67th) & Cardiff (68th). Teams we can't dream of competing with now, but teams we got the better of over a sustained period.

The only way we can compete again is with a new stadium. Anything else means in the long term we will be consigned to being a bottom end EFL/National League club.

Every of those is in a new stadium or the existing one has been redeveloped to the extent that it bears no resemblance to the historic one. But 1878 will acutely aware and those ultimately are the two choices.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 170
WOZOFGRIMSBY
July 19, 2023, 8:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GrimPol

I guess in 1899 nobody sat down and thought through the repercussions of allowing houses to hem in BP., shame but there we are.
Today Freemo would have been ideal, if BP history was overlooked, however the £20 million + build would put a heavy strain on GTFC finances hence team build for years to come.

Freemo i personally think is the place where the new stadium ‘SHOULD’ go if we were ever to relocate. Though am not sure which part of land  is free/vacant .

When I was back a couple of weeks ago, I wondered if the pyewipe (moody lane) or the docks side of new clee train station were viable or available. Then you’ve got the area next to Morrisons in laceby and the big chunk of land opposite Grimsby leisure centre (west marsh?) that are probably sizeable enough.

So it’s not like we don’t have possible options. It’s the availability and cost to acquire said land.

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 170
GollyGTFC
July 19, 2023, 8:47pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Freemo i personally think is the place where the new stadium ‘SHOULD’ go if we were ever to relocate. Though am not sure which part of land  is free/vacant .

When I was back a couple of weeks ago, I wondered if the pyewipe (moody lane) or the docks side of new clee train station were viable or available. Then you’ve got the area next to Morrisons in laceby and the big chunk of land opposite Grimsby leisure centre (west marsh?) that are probably sizeable enough.

So it’s not like we don’t have possible options. It’s the availability and cost to acquire said land.

Freeman Street isn't suitable. Too many houses adjacent to the site. Realistically the new ground needs to be easily accessible from the A180 but not bordering a residential area or requiring driving through one to get to it.

Is that link road between Laceby & Great Coates Interchange going to happen? That could be a perfect location and the road infrastructure would be built for us..

Is that link road between
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 105 - 170
HerveJosse
July 19, 2023, 8:53pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from GrimPol

When you could get 31000 in 40 years later and 22000 in eighty years later their thought processes were probably reasonable
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 170
lew chaterleys lover
July 19, 2023, 9:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Freeman Street isn't suitable. Too many houses adjacent to the site. Realistically the new ground needs to be easily accessible from the A180 but not bordering a residential area or requiring driving through one to get to it.

Is that link road between Laceby & Great Coates Interchange going to happen? That could be a perfect location and the road infrastructure would be built for us..

I know you are passionate about a new ground Golly, but it's unlikely to happen in any reasonable timeframe. Too many obstacles, mainly money and location. I agree it would be fantastic if we could have an iconic, one-off incredible new stadium but with everything so expensive we will have to look at other avenues. At least I think that is the reality of the situation facing the owners.

We could rebuild BP over time, in manageable and affordable chunks which can see us through until something really incredible happened (a Luton for eg) so if or until that day ever comes I am sure we will be playing at BP.

I think you might be surprised by what might be possible on our existing site, with a clever design. If we can even afford a rebuild, or part rebuild is again open to question.
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 170
wuffing
July 19, 2023, 9:25pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +838
Gold Stars: 38
The old Western school building site seems to have stalled... a really big site too??!!

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 170
Maringer
July 19, 2023, 10:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from wuffing
The old Western school building site seems to have stalled... a really big site too??!!

Traffic would be a nightmare around there on a busy match day. Though, to be fair, the same probably holds true for much of the town.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 170
WOZOFGRIMSBY
July 19, 2023, 11:17pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from wuffing

Am pretty sure it isn’t but Is that this area?

Attachment: img_4633_2220.jpeg
Size: 87.32 KB

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 170
arryarryarry
July 20, 2023, 12:54am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Am pretty sure it isn’t but Is that this area?

No, that's Pyewipe near the A180.

The old Western School was on Little Coates Road,

https://www.business-live.co.uk/economic-development/former-grimsby-school-site-brought-24763134

Private Message
Reply: 111 - 170
diehardmariner
July 20, 2023, 10:40am
Vodka Drinker
The old Western site is the blue area, the area in red (which Woz shown) is the old Macauley Tip site.  

Both sites, I believe, are still earmarked for housing with no plans to deviate from those.  Both are in the Local Plan for NEL, 390 houses at the Western site in total with a further 250 at the Macauley Tip site.
[img]https://gcdnb.pbrd.co/images/Tmw0e2Az4619.jpg?o=1[/img]
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 170
diehardmariner
July 20, 2023, 10:48am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

The original plan was for a large chunk of those houses to come down, along with the north half of Freeman St.  The houses that have remained near the former flats are no longer fit for purpose, they were built with short lifespans which has long exceeded.  There's a lot of derelict and dead space at that end of the area.

It's a huge area, far far bigger than the current space we occupy.  Central, literally a stones throw from the A180 and with huge potential to redevelop an area in desperate need of it.

It was a massive missed opportunity in my opinion, from all involved.

[img]https://gcdnb.pbrd.co/images/1ZD9NiTwe28d.jpg?o=1[/img]
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 170
ska face
July 20, 2023, 10:59am

Vodka Drinker
I think the club have been badly, almost exceptionally badly, failed by a series of myopic, small-time Councillors and Council exec/leaders. These people are supposed to set and deliver the vision for the area, and all they seem interested in is potholes.

2019 should’ve been the time to press on - as Fenty said, all the ducks were in a row with one party in overall control of the Council, both MPs seemingly in alignment with the Council and vast pots of money available for big projects & regeneration schemes.

Absolutely nothing, from what I can see, has been meaningfully delivered. This isn’t party-political, its systemic. A wasted opportunity of monumental proportions for the town.  
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 170
DB
July 20, 2023, 11:14am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from ska face
I think the club have been badly, almost exceptionally badly, failed by a series of myopic, small-time Councillors and Council exec/leaders. These people are supposed to set and deliver the vision for the area, and all they seem interested in is potholes.

2019 should’ve been the time to press on - as Fenty said, all the ducks were in a row with one party in overall control of the Council, both MPs seemingly in alignment with the Council and vast pots of money available for big projects & regeneration schemes.

Absolutely nothing, from what I can see, has been meaningfully delivered. This isn’t party-political, its systemic. A wasted opportunity of monumental proportions for the town.  

They even fix the potholes.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 170
Bigdog
July 20, 2023, 1:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from ska face

The constant meaningless frittering away of modest but substantial investment pots over decades has delivered relatively little or practically zero. Whereas putting everything into a single transformative scheme like a community stadium replacing a run down area of the town might have captured the imagination and attracted long-term private inward investment around a single impressive focal point. Small-time thinkers deliver small-time towns unfortunately..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 170
diehardmariner
July 20, 2023, 1:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

The constant meaningless frittering away of modest but substantial investment pots over decades has delivered relatively little or practically zero. Whereas putting everything into a single transformative scheme like a community stadium replacing a run down area of the town might have captured the imagination and attracted long-term private inward investment around a single impressive focal point. Small-time thinkers deliver small-time towns unfortunately..

Unfortunately Bigdog, you've absolutely smashed the nail deep in to the problem there.

There is this incredibly weird sense of NIMBYism mixed with this obsession with fixing problems that don't really exist.  The council have proved to be and are still at fault for large parts of this. Ridiculous schemes like the pissing Palm Tree that never was, the paving farce in Grimsby centre, John Fenty's £1million bridge next to a bridge that was perfectly usable, the constant moving about of the bus station....  

But the residents have their part to play too. Every time anything different is suggested it's absolutely shot down.  The stock answer is always "we don't need one/another one".  Retail is dead and it's all about the entertainment and leisure sector now.  Yet every time a derelict shop is converted into a bar the same old chorus is heard that we don't need more bars.  Well yes we do. We do because they create jobs.  They create jobs for people to earn money, which in turn means they can spend that money and create more jobs...

There are no rules on how many of things you can have.  The cinema, if it ever gets built, in the place of Freshney Place isn't needed apparently because we've got a cinema in Cleethorpes. My favourite comment on this was "it's the same company too".  As if by having a Parkway and an Odeon is ok, but not two of the same.  Because they show different films, right?

It's the same with the football ground.  On this forum there is always that mindset of 'why do we need extra seats, why do we need to release more seats for games, why do we need to try to make things better'.   Because if you stay standing you go backwards!  Be it with the football club or with the town itself.

NE Lincs has so much untapped potential that it's painful to watch it just drift aimlessly along.  Content for the only developments to be for extra housing and hoping that the windfarm industry magically brings back the golden days of when the fishing fleet ruled the world.   The windfarm industry might create jobs and it even bring people to the area, but it won't regenerate a dying town.  That has to come from within, from the people.
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 170
arryarryarry
July 20, 2023, 3:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
That's one hell of a temporary stand at Old Trafford cricket ground, how about that replacing the Main Stand

https://thesportsrush.com/cric.....ets-expansion-plans/
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 170
WOZOFGRIMSBY
July 20, 2023, 4:35pm

Barley Wine Drinker

It's the same with the football ground.  On this forum there is always that mindset of 'why do we need extra seats, why do we need to release more seats for games, why do we need to try to make things better'.   Because if you stay standing you go backwards!  Be it with the football club or with the town itself.

Have many of those that use that ‘we don’t need any bigger’ cr@p live in homes that have spare rooms for when guests/friends/family etc come to stay? It’s exactly the same. If Albert and Pearl live in a 3 bed semi and the kids have flown the nest, then should they move to a 1 bed bungalow

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 170
White_shorts
July 20, 2023, 4:58pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from ska face

Don't blame the council for a Freemo stadium not happening, blame Stockwood and Pettit.  Philip Jackson has said repeatedly the club owners have no interest in the old flats site.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 170
White_shorts
July 20, 2023, 5:30pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

I think there are many people who would like to attend more home games regardless of what division the club is in, but don't wish to suffer restricted views, long queues for toilets and being separated from family members.

The Grimsby West developers are planning to build a primary school, community hub and village store adjacent to the A1136.  A new stadium can incorporate classrooms, meeting rooms and retail units.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 170
diehardmariner
July 20, 2023, 5:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry
That's one hell of a temporary stand at Old Trafford cricket ground, how about that replacing the Main Stand

https://thesportsrush.com/cric.....ets-expansion-plans/

Wonder what the 'Gene Kelly' stand from Maine Road is up to these days.

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dft9SxPWkAAM9dr?format=jpg&name=large[/img]

Absolutely freezing up there, watching Town lose 2-1 between Xmas and New Year in '99.  I went to the fixture the following season, 4-0 hammering but can't remember a single thing about the game, not even if we were still in that temp stand or not.
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 170
diehardmariner
July 20, 2023, 5:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from White_shorts

Don't blame the council for a Freemo stadium not happening, blame Stockwood and Pettit.  Philip Jackson has said repeatedly the club owners have no interest in the old flats site.

This the same Philip Jackson who said there was no need for an inquiry into Fenty (as deputy leader and portfolio holder for regeneration at the time) getting into bed with convicted fraudster Alex May?

Yeah, ok.
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 170
ska face
July 20, 2023, 5:57pm

Vodka Drinker
Exactly, the last time Jackson was spotted he was tucking into a sandwich platter with Alex May. What has Jackson, personally responsible for “economic strategy, regeneration, inward investment and growth” actively done to relocate the club, beyond meekly pushing a site the owners aren’t interested in?
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 170
DB
July 20, 2023, 5:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Unfortunately Bigdog, you've absolutely smashed the nail deep in to the problem there.

There is this incredibly weird sense of NIMBYism mixed with this obsession with fixing problems that don't really exist.  The council have proved to be and are still at fault for large parts of this. Ridiculous schemes like the pissing Palm Tree that never was, the paving farce in Grimsby centre, John Fenty's £1million bridge next to a bridge that was perfectly usable, the constant moving about of the bus station....  

But the residents have their part to play too. Every time anything different is suggested it's absolutely shot down.  The stock answer is always "we don't need one/another one".  Retail is dead and it's all about the entertainment and leisure sector now.  Yet every time a derelict shop is converted into a bar the same old chorus is heard that we don't need more bars.  Well yes we do. We do because they create jobs.  They create jobs for people to earn money, which in turn means they can spend that money and create more jobs...

There are no rules on how many of things you can have.  The cinema, if it ever gets built, in the place of Freshney Place isn't needed apparently because we've got a cinema in Cleethorpes. My favourite comment on this was "it's the same company too".  As if by having a Parkway and an Odeon is ok, but not two of the same.  Because they show different films, right?

NE Lincs has so much untapped potential that it's painful to watch it just drift aimlessly along.  Content for the only developments to be for extra housing and hoping that the windfarm industry magically brings back the golden days of when the fishing fleet ruled the world.   The windfarm industry might create jobs and it even bring people to the area, but it won't regenerate a dying town.  That has to come from within, from the people.

A brilliant post sums up this area.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 170
louth_in_the_south
July 20, 2023, 6:22pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,692
Just go for a wander around Lincoln and see what a council who are capable of delivering regeneration can do .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 170
Yarborough Vaults
July 21, 2023, 3:20am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +214
Gold Stars: 32
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Just go for a wander around Lincoln and see what a council who are capable of delivering regeneration can do .

Just don't mention the Xmas Market eh?

Freemo was a once in a lifetime chance to get the stadium in the perfect place. Instead it's probably going to end up with the same kind of housing/vibe as before ie a dumping ground.

My favourite place in the world is a seat in the Lower but BP is a crumbling, and increasingly costly, relic that needs to be replaced ASAP. Our owners are multi millionaires so have the cash to make it happen
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 170
toontown
July 21, 2023, 7:09am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Yarborough Vaults

Freemo was a once in a lifetime chance to get the stadium in the perfect place. Instead it's probably going to end up with the same kind of housing/vibe as before ie a dumping ground.

My favourite place in the world is a seat in the Lower but BP is a crumbling, and increasingly costly, relic that needs to be replaced ASAP. Our owners are multi millionaires so have the cash to make it happen

I think you massively underestimate the cost of a new ground if you think stockwood and petit can fund it...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 170
It Bites
July 21, 2023, 7:19am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from toontown

I think you massively underestimate the cost of a new ground if you think stockwood and petit can fund it...

I think Andrew and Jason should be on the phone to Mr Hilton of Scunthorpe. He's going to deliver a 12,000 seater stadium on a tip in 2 years ..............
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 170
DB
July 21, 2023, 7:22am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from It Bites

I think Andrew and Jason should be on the phone to Mr Hilton of Scunthorpe. He's going to deliver a 12,000 seater stadium on a tip in 2 years ..............

Whist paying rent to play somewhere in that time and all from less than 2,000 ST holders

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 170
rancido
July 21, 2023, 7:27am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Quoted from ska face

This is spot on. I have taken an interest in local politics for over 50 years and our local councils, regardless of political persuasion, have consistently let the residents down. We are a relatively small town but sadly we produce local councils and councillors with " small town" attitudes. We have also clung on to our fame as the "largest fishing port in the world" yet that industry has virtually disappeared and most of the other industries that supported it. The local population also don't help with constant objections to any dynamic or forward thinking projects that are proposed.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 170
MuddyWaters
July 21, 2023, 7:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Yarborough Vaults

I wonder what happened to Tom Shutes? 🤔🤔
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 170
WOZOFGRIMSBY
July 21, 2023, 7:46am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from It Bites

Can you narrow down the area of said tip!?

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 170
lew chaterleys lover
July 21, 2023, 8:09am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from rancido

This is spot on. I have taken an interest in local politics for over 50 years and our local councils, regardless of political persuasion, have consistently let the residents down. We are a relatively small town but sadly we produce local councils and councillors with " small town" attitudes. We have also clung on to our fame as the "largest fishing port in the world" yet that industry has virtually disappeared and most of the other industries that supported it. The local population also don't help with constant objections to any dynamic or forward thinking projects that are proposed.

I agree but what makes it worse is that we are not a "relatively small town" especially as Grimsby and Cleethorpes are as one.

NE Lincs should have far more dynamic councils than we have had so far.
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 170
White_shorts
July 21, 2023, 3:22pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from Sussexmariner
Alternatively…..it’s a Tuesday night in January, Town have a home game against  fellow mid table opponents Preston North End. Do you think 12-13k would be adequate?

I concede that there might 'only' be 12k for a midweek game in the middle of winter against mid-table opposition.  However, that is not a good enough reason not to build a new stadium with a minimum 15k capacity.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 170
Heisenberg
July 21, 2023, 3:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from White_shorts

I concede that there might 'only' be 12k for a midweek game in the middle of winter against mid-table opposition.  However, that is not a good enough reason not to build a new stadium with a minimum 15k capacity.

I agree it should still be built, but I’m also pretty confident those sorts of fixtures would be down to about 6000 even in a new ground.

And I’m 100% on board with a move, I just think we need to be realistic. It’s a myth that championship sides fill away ends - I’ll never forget Stoke brining 300 for a Saturday game once. That happens a lot. Even some Prem teams travel poorly, both midweek and weekend.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 170
White_shorts
July 21, 2023, 3:43pm
Lager Top Drinker
It was a massive missed opportunity in my opinion, from all involved.

Part of the problem was that two years were wasted on a docks stadium fantasy.

October 2018: high-rise flats demolished.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/grimsbys-new-skyline-east-marsh-2116943

May 2019: "Deal to build new Grimsby Town stadium at docks is close"

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/new-grimsby-town-stadium-docks-3089494

May 2020: "Tom Shutes reveals stunning plan for new stadium at docks"

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/tom-shutes-reveals-stunning-plan-4110684

April 2021: "Businessman Tom Shutes pulls out of consortium"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56610257

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 170
Bigdog
July 23, 2023, 12:26am
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162

NE Lincs has so much untapped potential that it's painful to watch it just drift aimlessly along.  Content for the only developments to be for extra housing and hoping that the windfarm industry magically brings back the golden days of when the fishing fleet ruled the world.   The windfarm industry might create jobs and it even bring people to the area, but it won't regenerate a dying town. That has to come from within, from the people.

Unfortunately for the future of Grimsby, the industry is built on financial and scientific quicksand and is fast being exposed as a scam. To top it all off, the ecological, environmental and aesthetical damage it's doing is heartbreaking..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 170
lukeo
July 23, 2023, 6:48am
Season Ticket Holder
Obviously this is slightly tongue in cheek and I assume it isn't available but the massive plot of land Pleasure Island used to be is a great location. Plenty of parking already set up on site.
For away fans they can either stay at Thorpe Park or the other caravan sites (great for Yorkshire clubs) or if they're catching the train they can get the train to Clee then the mini train (I assume it still runs) away fans would love that  

Obviously this post is mostly tongue in cheek but that area is totally wasted in a half decent location.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 170
GYinScuntland
July 23, 2023, 9:43am

Brandy Drinker
Quoted from lukeo
Obviously this is slightly tongue in cheek and I assume it isn't available but the massive plot of land Pleasure Island used to be is a great location. Plenty of parking already set up on site.
For away fans they can either stay at Thorpe Park or the other caravan sites (great for Yorkshire clubs) or if they're catching the train they can get the train to Clee then the mini train (I assume it still runs) away fans would love that  

Obviously this post is mostly tongue in cheek but that area is totally wasted in a half decent location.

Why tongue in cheek?
If available and if possible I think it would be a fantastic, never thought of before location. Probably a bit gridlocked on match days but there's many new builds with just one road in and out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 170
DB
July 23, 2023, 9:54am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from lukeo

As far as I know it's going to be housing and a Lidl/Aldi. I believe plans are already in for it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 170
grimps
July 23, 2023, 10:54am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Heisenberg

I agree it should still be built, but I’m also pretty confident those sorts of fixtures would be down to about 6000 even in a new ground.

And I’m 100% on board with a move, I just think we need to be realistic. It’s a myth that championship sides fill away ends - I’ll never forget Stoke brining 300 for a Saturday game once. That happens a lot. Even some Prem teams travel poorly, both midweek and weekend.

Yeah but you’re thinking of hands from 25 years ago , all 4 leagues are much better supported these days.

If we can average over 6500 as a mid table 4th division side we’d be able to double that in the Championship these days
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 170
ginnywings
July 23, 2023, 11:36am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from lukeo

Think it's already earmarked for a supermarket and holiday park chalets.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 170
Heisenberg
July 23, 2023, 6:08pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from grimps

Yeah but you’re thinking of hands from 25 years ago , all 4 leagues are much better supported these days.

If we can average over 6500 as a mid table 4th division side we’d be able to double that in the Championship these days

I love your confidence, but not a chance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 170
gtfc_chris
July 23, 2023, 7:31pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from Heisenberg

I'm not so brave to say we would double our attendances if we were in the Championship but my bias swings more that way than not having a chance.

Reason for that is the amount of kids that seem to be wearing Town shirts these days. Not a flawless logic on it's own but I do think there is a level of uptake on the Club that is higher in the younger ages than I've known. I've coached locally for years and there are more and more young Town fans in shirts right now than I've ever seen previously.

Extend that a little and add a few years when this cadre of future match-goers are able to attend by themselves, are they more likely to attract their mates to Barrow at home or one-time Premier League winners Leicester?

The view in my head is that under the JF years, the wind sweep was negative, throwing things out of it's path and away from the Club. This last two years the wind is positive and it's gathering things in it's path and attracting them to the Club, ST sales are proving this. With every positive step, with every improvement more and more seem to be being caught up by the Club and if you add the higher standard of football and calibre of teams that would be visiting BP then I think it's not completely unrealistic to think we could be hitting over 10k attendances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 170
Mappers
July 23, 2023, 7:37pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Heisenberg

I sort of agree with you but statistics back up the point that even clubs with smaller support have a decent upturn in attendances when moving to a new stadium .

Rotherham doubled their average attendance and more going from 3.5k to around 8k in a new stadium and they have remained steady at that and above  . Doncaster almost the same , even if they have dropped off now in their bad spell its far more than they were ever getting at Belle Vue . Then there is the likes of Brentford ,Reading ,Swansea and even The Tigers who all got relatively small gates before their new grounds either through lack of seats or just poor numbers.

There is the odd exception - Colchester , Shrewsbury and Oxford  come to mind ,but I would guess even there attendances have improved - they are just very poor versions of modern stadia for me

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 170
WOZOFGRIMSBY
July 23, 2023, 7:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

I sort of agree with you but statistics back up the point that even clubs with smaller support have a decent upturn in attendances when moving to a new stadium .

Rotherham doubled their average attendance and more going from 3.5k to around 8k in a new stadium and they have remained steady at that and above  . Doncaster almost the same , even if they have dropped off now in their bad spell its far more than they were ever getting at Belle Vue . Then there is the likes of Brentford ,Reading ,Swansea and even The Tigers who all got relatively small gates before their new grounds either through lack of seats or just poor numbers.

There is the odd exception - Colchester , Shrewsbury and Oxford  come to mind ,but I would guess even there attendances have improved - they are just very poor versions of modern stadia for me

Oxfords stadium is right on the south of the city and a bit of a pain to get to. And they only had it built because they had all of their debts wiped out when Kassam took over (I think )

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 170
toontown
July 23, 2023, 7:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Oxfords stadium is right on the south of the city and a bit of a pain to get to. And they only had it built because they had all of their debts wiped out when Kassam took over (I think )

They get decent gates don't they?

Around when I started to take an interest in football I seem to think they were inbthe first division, be interesting to see how their gates now compare to then. In fact ill try and find out!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 170
toontown
July 23, 2023, 8:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from toontown

They get decent gates don't they?

Around when I started to take an interest in football I seem to think they were inbthe first division, be interesting to see how their gates now compare to then. In fact ill try and find out!

About 8k at home which is decent, about 11k when in div in the early 80s

Shows, like has been  said, how much attendances have gone up
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 170
Mappers
July 23, 2023, 8:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Yeah they do tbf probably a bad example , been their a couple of times - Oxford is dreadful for traffic isn't it - just not much atmosphere at the ground either - pretty sure they are looking at building another new stadium - some teams will have had 2 or 3 and we will still be at BP!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 170
lew chaterleys lover
July 23, 2023, 8:20pm
Vodka Drinker
I used to visit the commercial department on business in the Tony Richardson era and they were despairing at the low gates we got in some of the Championship years. It is all the more irritating when like a lot of people I had seen regular gates at BP of well over 12k and some amazing gates of over 22k (one a fourth division game against Exeter,  albeit to clinch the title).

Despite some great football, great players and a great manager we never got the number of fans we deserved and I remember some people saying we were never going to get promoted to the top flight, so it took some of the interest away. I think there is a ring of truth in that; if you think you have reached your ceiling you might not have further ambitions.

I think if we ever reached those heights again  I would think we would get 10k if we had the capacity, as football is seemingly more popular than ever. I think if we even reached league 1 demand would outstrip supply.
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 170
WOZOFGRIMSBY
July 23, 2023, 8:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker
I used to visit the commercial department on business in the Tony Richardson era and they were despairing at the low gates we got in some of the Championship years. It is all the more irritating when like a lot of people I had seen regular gates at BP of well over 12k and some amazing gates of over 22k (one a fourth division game against Exeter,  albeit to clinch the title).

Despite some great football, great players and a great manager we never got the number of fans we deserved and I remember some people saying we were never going to get promoted to the top flight, so it took some of the interest away. I think there is a ring of truth in that; if you think you have reached your ceiling you might not have further ambitions.

I think if we ever reached those heights again  I would think we would get 10k if we had the capacity, as football is seemingly more popular than ever. I think if we even reached league 1 demand would outstrip supply.

But then you look at Luton getting promoted back to the top flight, Leicester winning the league, Wigan winning the fa cup. If we didn’t have dreams of the big time as football fans why even turn up? Like every supporter of every club in the world, you turn up to see your team and want them to win. Sometimes it happens, more than often, it doesn’t. But having that belief is what matters most

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 170
It Bites
July 23, 2023, 8:40pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

But then you look at Luton getting promoted back to the top flight, Leicester winning the league, Wigan winning the fa cup. If we didn’t have dreams of the big time as football fans why even turn up? Like every supporter of every club in the world, you turn up to see your team and want them to win. Sometimes it happens, more than often, it doesn’t. But having that belief is what matters most

That’s exactly how Fenty destroyed the club , he took away Hope
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 170
HerveJosse
July 23, 2023, 9:55pm
Champagne Drinker
Average attendances have approximately doubled across all four divisions since the low of the mid to late eighties so there is no reason why our typical championship attendance of 5 to 6k of the Buckley era wouldn’t be 10-12k now if we had the facilities.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 170
lew chaterleys lover
July 23, 2023, 10:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Nonetheless I am talking about 35 years ago and the impression at the time was that we could go no further and would invariably be involved a relegation scrap at best. I was disappointed more than most that we didn't get the support we deserved,  but I am just relaying the feeling at the time.
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 170
GYinScuntland
July 23, 2023, 10:34pm

Brandy Drinker
Quoted from toontown

About 8k at home which is decent, about 11k when in div in the early 80s

Shows, like has been  said, how much attendances have gone up

Probably not, it's more to do with the fact that every game is now ticketed.
Nearly every game in the 70's, 80's, 90's you could just rock up and pay on the gate and you could see the fiddles going on at every ground, every week. Three, four or five for the club, one for the bloke on the turnstiles.
Full ground? No problem, bung the geezer a couple of quid in his hand and he'll squeeze another few hundred in, no seats in those days and no-one noticed nor cared until people started getting hurt.
Ground attendance statistics back in the day were pure guessing games, I'm sure of it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 170
diehardmariner
July 24, 2023, 11:52am
Vodka Drinker
Football attendances in the late 80's and for at least a decade after were destroyed by a number of things.

Hillsborough, the criminalisation of football fans, the Taylor Report, cages, ongoing hooliganism, the novelty of more than one TV game a week which diverted attention away from the live game.  No doubt other factors too.

They all contributed to the low attendances at football grounds up and down the country.  Ours was no exception.  I started going late 80's and despite some incredible success and even better entertainment, our attendances were dreadful throughout with the exception of 'big' games.

The trend is that football is more popular than it has been for absolute years, decades in fact. There's no value in predicting we wouldn't breach five-figures just because we didn't do it in 1994.  
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 170
sam gy
July 24, 2023, 1:03pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Quoted from It Bites

That’s exactly how Fenty destroyed the club , he took away Hope

He wasn't a great player, to be fair.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 170
heppy88
July 24, 2023, 2:08pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Went to the ticket office this morning. New signage being put up at the front of the ticket office and a large, 3D GTFC lettered office divider facing the customers in the office. Very classy and just another improvement, making us appear more professional for the benefit of supporters and staff. Great work.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 170
Limerick Mariner
July 24, 2023, 2:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Football attendances in the late 80's and for at least a decade after were destroyed by a number of things.

Hillsborough, the criminalisation of football fans, the Taylor Report, cages, ongoing hooliganism, the novelty of more than one TV game a week which diverted attention away from the live game.  No doubt other factors too.

They all contributed to the low attendances at football grounds up and down the country.  Ours was no exception.  I started going late 80's and despite some incredible success and even better entertainment, our attendances were dreadful throughout with the exception of 'big' games.

The trend is that football is more popular than it has been for absolute years, decades in fact. There's no value in predicting we wouldn't breach five-figures just because we didn't do it in 1994.  

You only have to look back at attendances of many clubs before they relocated or redeveloped to demonstrate that. In the 1980-81 season we were getting better crowds than the likes of Bolton and Notts County (who were promoted) and on a par with Blackburn who came up with us the previous season and who also challenged that season. I think our average gate was about half way up the Division 2 table of averages. The quality of facilities matters hugely and that is where we have been left way behind.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 170
MuddyWaters
July 25, 2023, 1:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
As a Main Stand ST holder, I find every pound spent on it as a pound wasted. That’s not having a go at the current owners, it goes back years. I’m not professing to know the answer but wonder how long and how much more will be wasted.
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 170
lukeo
July 25, 2023, 6:09pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from MuddyWaters
As a Main Stand ST holder, I find every pound spent on it as a pound wasted. That’s not having a go at the current owners, it goes back years. I’m not professing to know the answer but wonder how long and how much more will be wasted.

I tend to go in the main stand when I'm home and aslong as I have a decent view and a seat to sit on I don't care...
Infact I like the fact that when you go behind the stand you can see into the tunnel and smell the deap heat 😄
The only grudge I have is lack of room in and around the bars. I've mentioned it once before but the bar at the far end, surely you could open up the gates next to it (I assume its the old entrance to away fans) and allow fans to stand around behind there without view of the pitch. It would just mean the door man would have to stand just outside the door to direct people away from the pitch view.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 170
Mappers
July 28, 2023, 7:37am
Champagne Drinker
I have enjoyed this thread some good ideas , I suppose none of us really know 100% whether the current custodians want to stay at BP long term or actually have the idea to move but don't want to say it out loud .

If we were to stay at BP there would be loads of things possible on the current footprint but a substantial increase in capacity would require a new /extended findus you would have thought .

I actually think the club missed a trick (maybe under our previous ownership ) when the pub closed (the imp i think ?) which could have been great as a ticket office , club shop and potentially the fanzone to take those bits off the site but close to hand .

I think short to medium term an improved PA system , disabled facilities and more unrestricted view seats must be a priority if we are to stay .

A few questions I would be asking

- can we add seats anywhere as it currently stands (eg the back aisles of the lower ) it might just be incremental gains but would add seats .
-Can we put seats in the corner where the cage is ? We are using that corner anyway for the bigger games, so it would probably add 100-200 seats .
- Can the segregation be re-configured for away fans permanently
-can the roofs of the main & osmond be replaced and seats added where the posts are , if so how many
- Could we extend the main stand, add safe standing in that Harrington Street corner and add a better disabled section
- Can the press box /main stand exec section be rellocated to the upper with seats added in there place
-How do we add more exec boxes
-can we improve access to the ground and  congestion of supporters
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 170
WOZOFGRIMSBY
July 28, 2023, 2:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
I think one of the best ideas that someone mentioned last season was moving the club shop/ticket office elsewhere ( I think a shop down gy road was mentioned) to allow for a bar/food outlet in its place. Obviously this doesn’t increase the capacity but should allow for a smoother match day experience

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 170
crusty ole pie
July 28, 2023, 3:02pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
I think one of the best ideas that someone mentioned last season was moving the club shop/ticket office elsewhere ( I think a shop down gy road was mentioned) to allow for a bar/food outlet in its place. Obviously this doesn’t increase the capacity but should allow for a smoother match day experience

My comments good to see someone took note such a shame the club didn’t would be great to have frontage on Grimsby road bigger club shop better ticket office and space for new trust bars
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 170
TownSNAFU5
July 28, 2023, 5:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,882
Gold Stars: 42
Further info on how low attendances were in the 1980s.  I have a programme for Town v Leeds at BP on the 8th Feb 1986.  It was a Championship game as it is now.

The average attendances until Feb 86 were Town (only 4,759), Leeds (13,577) Sunderland (16,959). and Middlesbrough (only 6,390).  Besides other adverse factors identified above as impacting on Football, there was also the Heysel disaster.  This happened during a high-profile European Cup Final on TV.

Town were in mid table in Feb1986, above Leeds, Sunderland, Middlesbrough and Fulham.  

Leeds now have a reported 20,000 STHs in reserve. How times change.

Football is far more expensive now relatively to the 1980s.  Yet is far more popular now.  The impact of more TV coverage and sponsorship, amongst other changes.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 170
WOZOFGRIMSBY
July 28, 2023, 5:46pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from crusty ole pie

My comments good to see someone took note such a shame the club didn’t would be great to have frontage on Grimsby road bigger club shop better ticket office and space for new trust bars

I can sort of see the logic in the clubs stance with it (if they even noticed it). Why would they spend money on something that they have already?

I personally think that the setup in the cons corner would be great if reciprocated in the Harrington st corner. And great advertising space for docks beers (or whoever) if they had another site there

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 170
crusty ole pie
July 29, 2023, 4:43pm

Whiskey Drinker
I understand there is a major job starting on Monday hope the weather holds out or we may have issues for next Saturday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 170
lukeo
July 29, 2023, 8:20pm
Season Ticket Holder
All well and good saying move it elsewhere but would the financial gain of having extra bar space cover the cost of buying / renting a whole unit down Gy Road. Plus the hassle then to go from the shop to the game (the staff tend to watch the games in the Upper).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 170
crusty ole pie
July 29, 2023, 8:31pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from lukeo
All well and good saying move it elsewhere but would the financial gain of having extra bar space cover the cost of buying / renting a whole unit down Gy Road. Plus the hassle then to go from the shop to the game (the staff tend to watch the games in the Upper).

A fan zone in the area  the ground that would be more suitable to the CLEETHORPES weather and freeing up an area that could be utilised for ground capacity
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 170 - 170
18 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ground Improvements - Well done GTFC

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.