Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ground Improvements - Well done GTFC
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 142 Guests

Ground Improvements - Well done GTFC

This thread currently has 19,137 views. Print
18 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
GYinScuntland
July 23, 2023, 9:43am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from lukeo
Obviously this is slightly tongue in cheek and I assume it isn't available but the massive plot of land Pleasure Island used to be is a great location. Plenty of parking already set up on site.
For away fans they can either stay at Thorpe Park or the other caravan sites (great for Yorkshire clubs) or if they're catching the train they can get the train to Clee then the mini train (I assume it still runs) away fans would love that  

Obviously this post is mostly tongue in cheek but that area is totally wasted in a half decent location.

Why tongue in cheek?
If available and if possible I think it would be a fantastic, never thought of before location. Probably a bit gridlocked on match days but there's many new builds with just one road in and out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 170
DB
July 23, 2023, 9:54am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,025
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from lukeo
Obviously this is slightly tongue in cheek and I assume it isn't available but the massive plot of land Pleasure Island used to be is a great location. Plenty of parking already set up on site.
For away fans they can either stay at Thorpe Park or the other caravan sites (great for Yorkshire clubs) or if they're catching the train they can get the train to Clee then the mini train (I assume it still runs) away fans would love that  

Obviously this post is mostly tongue in cheek but that area is totally wasted in a half decent location.

As far as I know it's going to be housing and a Lidl/Aldi. I believe plans are already in for it.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 170
grimps
July 23, 2023, 10:54am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,129
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from Heisenberg

I agree it should still be built, but I’m also pretty confident those sorts of fixtures would be down to about 6000 even in a new ground.

And I’m 100% on board with a move, I just think we need to be realistic. It’s a myth that championship sides fill away ends - I’ll never forget Stoke brining 300 for a Saturday game once. That happens a lot. Even some Prem teams travel poorly, both midweek and weekend.

Yeah but you’re thinking of hands from 25 years ago , all 4 leagues are much better supported these days.

If we can average over 6500 as a mid table 4th division side we’d be able to double that in the Championship these days
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 170
ginnywings
July 23, 2023, 11:36am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,146
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from lukeo

Think it's already earmarked for a supermarket and holiday park chalets.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 170
Heisenberg
July 23, 2023, 6:08pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,072
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from grimps

Yeah but you’re thinking of hands from 25 years ago , all 4 leagues are much better supported these days.

If we can average over 6500 as a mid table 4th division side we’d be able to double that in the Championship these days

I love your confidence, but not a chance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 170
gtfc_chris
July 23, 2023, 7:31pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,465
Gold Stars: 114
Quoted from Heisenberg

I'm not so brave to say we would double our attendances if we were in the Championship but my bias swings more that way than not having a chance.

Reason for that is the amount of kids that seem to be wearing Town shirts these days. Not a flawless logic on it's own but I do think there is a level of uptake on the Club that is higher in the younger ages than I've known. I've coached locally for years and there are more and more young Town fans in shirts right now than I've ever seen previously.

Extend that a little and add a few years when this cadre of future match-goers are able to attend by themselves, are they more likely to attract their mates to Barrow at home or one-time Premier League winners Leicester?

The view in my head is that under the JF years, the wind sweep was negative, throwing things out of it's path and away from the Club. This last two years the wind is positive and it's gathering things in it's path and attracting them to the Club, ST sales are proving this. With every positive step, with every improvement more and more seem to be being caught up by the Club and if you add the higher standard of football and calibre of teams that would be visiting BP then I think it's not completely unrealistic to think we could be hitting over 10k attendances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 170
Mappers
July 23, 2023, 7:37pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,337
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from Heisenberg

I sort of agree with you but statistics back up the point that even clubs with smaller support have a decent upturn in attendances when moving to a new stadium .

Rotherham doubled their average attendance and more going from 3.5k to around 8k in a new stadium and they have remained steady at that and above  . Doncaster almost the same , even if they have dropped off now in their bad spell its far more than they were ever getting at Belle Vue . Then there is the likes of Brentford ,Reading ,Swansea and even The Tigers who all got relatively small gates before their new grounds either through lack of seats or just poor numbers.

There is the odd exception - Colchester , Shrewsbury and Oxford  come to mind ,but I would guess even there attendances have improved - they are just very poor versions of modern stadia for me

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 170
WOZOFGRIMSBY
July 23, 2023, 7:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,839
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from Mappers

I sort of agree with you but statistics back up the point that even clubs with smaller support have a decent upturn in attendances when moving to a new stadium .

Rotherham doubled their average attendance and more going from 3.5k to around 8k in a new stadium and they have remained steady at that and above  . Doncaster almost the same , even if they have dropped off now in their bad spell its far more than they were ever getting at Belle Vue . Then there is the likes of Brentford ,Reading ,Swansea and even The Tigers who all got relatively small gates before their new grounds either through lack of seats or just poor numbers.

There is the odd exception - Colchester , Shrewsbury and Oxford  come to mind ,but I would guess even there attendances have improved - they are just very poor versions of modern stadia for me

Oxfords stadium is right on the south of the city and a bit of a pain to get to. And they only had it built because they had all of their debts wiped out when Kassam took over (I think )

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 170
toontown
July 23, 2023, 7:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,280
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Oxfords stadium is right on the south of the city and a bit of a pain to get to. And they only had it built because they had all of their debts wiped out when Kassam took over (I think )

They get decent gates don't they?

Around when I started to take an interest in football I seem to think they were inbthe first division, be interesting to see how their gates now compare to then. In fact ill try and find out!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 170
toontown
July 23, 2023, 8:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,280
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from toontown

They get decent gates don't they?

Around when I started to take an interest in football I seem to think they were inbthe first division, be interesting to see how their gates now compare to then. In fact ill try and find out!

About 8k at home which is decent, about 11k when in div in the early 80s

Shows, like has been  said, how much attendances have gone up
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 170
18 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ground Improvements - Well done GTFC

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.