Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ground Improvements - Well done GTFC
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 101 Guests

Ground Improvements - Well done GTFC

This thread currently has 19,305 views. Print
18 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimPol
July 19, 2023, 12:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from diehardmariner
No argument from the majority that the stadium should be central and accessible.  

Not convinced that Blundell Park is the best place for that though, not at present anyway.  If we're going pie in the sky and not worrying ourselves too much with realities, I would have thought the White Elephant regeneration of Grimsby Town centre would have been the absolute perfect place to tie in regeneration funds and a new stadium.

Keeps everything central, accessible, right on a train line and all local bus services and fills space that's largely empty at present.

Quite a few years back I was told that part of the 'plan' for the stadium on the former Freemo flats would have involved NELC as the anchor tenants (or vice-versa) with their main hub sites moving to the site too.  How much truth was in that I don't know but it made sense and fitted with the councils plans to reduce the number of their buildings and centralise the ones that remained.

I guess in 1899 nobody sat down and thought through the repercussions of allowing houses to hem in BP., shame but there we are.
Today Freemo would have been ideal, if BP history was overlooked, however the £20 million + build would put a heavy strain on GTFC finances hence team build for years to come.
Where is an Oil Sheikh when you need one?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 170
Captain Sensible
July 19, 2023, 12:57pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: +178
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from aldi_01

What? So we build a ground with magic beans simply to accommodate a few fair weather types who fancy getting involved because there’s a sniff of the big time.

I don't know about magic beans, but perhaps we could build one with old shipping containers, like Qatar did for the world cup.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 170
GollyGTFC
July 19, 2023, 5:06pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,054
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from diehardmariner
They're all good suggestions Golly, but I think we've missed the boat on a lot of them.

Enabling developments are dead at the minute. There's enough prime retail and business space available to negate a need for  anyone to attach a business to a football ground.

The Gym Group set up a 24/7 in Grimsby very recently. Empty unit in a retail park, very accessible and central location, free parking. By all accounts got a very good deal on it as the landlords were desperate to fill it and recognised they'll struggle to do so otherwise.  That wasn't the case even 5 years ago.

I don't know what the situation is presently on funding and grants but the sheer costs of a new ground would surely make them look like drops in the ocean. I guess the same when comparing the mortgage on the Findus to a new ground too.

We need to do something and the typical Grimsby mentality of "well we've not had gates over 8,000 since 1996 so let's not strive to get better than that.. ." smacks of the reasons the place will never progress or even hold its ground.

I just don't think that something has an easy solution.

The problem is we have no option but to find a solution. In the last 20 seasons of the 20th Century we ranked 40th in terms of average league finish.

Ahead of Bolton (42nd), Brighton (45th), Bristol City (46th), Reading (47th), Plymouth (50th), Fulham (51st), Brentford (52nd), Bournemouth (55th), Swansea (56th), Hull (57th) Rotherham (59th), Preston (62nd), Wigan (63rd), Burnley (64th), Blackpool (67th) & Cardiff (68th). Teams we can't dream of competing with now, but teams we got the better of over a sustained period.

The only way we can compete again is with a new stadium. Anything else means in the long term we will be consigned to being a bottom end EFL/National League club.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 102 - 170
Limerick Mariner
July 19, 2023, 5:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,743
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from GollyGTFC

The problem is we have no option but to find a solution. In the last 20 seasons of the 20th Century we ranked 40th in terms of average league finish.

Ahead of Bolton (42nd), Brighton (45th), Bristol City (46th), Reading (47th), Plymouth (50th), Fulham (51st), Brentford (52nd), Bournemouth (55th), Swansea (56th), Hull (57th) Rotherham (59th), Preston (62nd), Wigan (63rd), Burnley (64th), Blackpool (67th) & Cardiff (68th). Teams we can't dream of competing with now, but teams we got the better of over a sustained period.

The only way we can compete again is with a new stadium. Anything else means in the long term we will be consigned to being a bottom end EFL/National League club.

Every of those is in a new stadium or the existing one has been redeveloped to the extent that it bears no resemblance to the historic one. But 1878 will acutely aware and those ultimately are the two choices.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 170
WOZOFGRIMSBY
July 19, 2023, 8:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,978
Gold Stars: 184
Quoted from GrimPol

I guess in 1899 nobody sat down and thought through the repercussions of allowing houses to hem in BP., shame but there we are.
Today Freemo would have been ideal, if BP history was overlooked, however the £20 million + build would put a heavy strain on GTFC finances hence team build for years to come.

Freemo i personally think is the place where the new stadium ‘SHOULD’ go if we were ever to relocate. Though am not sure which part of land  is free/vacant .

When I was back a couple of weeks ago, I wondered if the pyewipe (moody lane) or the docks side of new clee train station were viable or available. Then you’ve got the area next to Morrisons in laceby and the big chunk of land opposite Grimsby leisure centre (west marsh?) that are probably sizeable enough.

So it’s not like we don’t have possible options. It’s the availability and cost to acquire said land.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 170
GollyGTFC
July 19, 2023, 8:47pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,054
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Freemo i personally think is the place where the new stadium ‘SHOULD’ go if we were ever to relocate. Though am not sure which part of land  is free/vacant .

When I was back a couple of weeks ago, I wondered if the pyewipe (moody lane) or the docks side of new clee train station were viable or available. Then you’ve got the area next to Morrisons in laceby and the big chunk of land opposite Grimsby leisure centre (west marsh?) that are probably sizeable enough.

So it’s not like we don’t have possible options. It’s the availability and cost to acquire said land.

Freeman Street isn't suitable. Too many houses adjacent to the site. Realistically the new ground needs to be easily accessible from the A180 but not bordering a residential area or requiring driving through one to get to it.

Is that link road between Laceby & Great Coates Interchange going to happen? That could be a perfect location and the road infrastructure would be built for us..

Is that link road between
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 105 - 170
HerveJosse
July 19, 2023, 8:53pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,204
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from GrimPol

When you could get 31000 in 40 years later and 22000 in eighty years later their thought processes were probably reasonable
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 170
lew chaterleys lover
July 19, 2023, 9:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,758
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Freeman Street isn't suitable. Too many houses adjacent to the site. Realistically the new ground needs to be easily accessible from the A180 but not bordering a residential area or requiring driving through one to get to it.

Is that link road between Laceby & Great Coates Interchange going to happen? That could be a perfect location and the road infrastructure would be built for us..

Is that link road between

I know you are passionate about a new ground Golly, but it's unlikely to happen in any reasonable timeframe. Too many obstacles, mainly money and location. I agree it would be fantastic if we could have an iconic, one-off incredible new stadium but with everything so expensive we will have to look at other avenues. At least I think that is the reality of the situation facing the owners.

We could rebuild BP over time, in manageable and affordable chunks which can see us through until something really incredible happened (a Luton for eg) so if or until that day ever comes I am sure we will be playing at BP.

I think you might be surprised by what might be possible on our existing site, with a clever design. If we can even afford a rebuild, or part rebuild is again open to question.
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 170
wuffing
July 19, 2023, 9:25pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +851
Gold Stars: 40
The old Western school building site seems to have stalled... a really big site too??!!

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 170
Maringer
July 19, 2023, 10:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,671
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from wuffing
The old Western school building site seems to have stalled... a really big site too??!!

Traffic would be a nightmare around there on a busy match day. Though, to be fair, the same probably holds true for much of the town.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 170
18 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ground Improvements - Well done GTFC

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.