18 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Mappers
July 23, 2023, 8:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,337
Gold Stars: 119
Yeah they do tbf probably a bad example , been their a couple of times - Oxford is dreadful for traffic isn't it - just not much atmosphere at the ground either - pretty sure they are looking at building another new stadium - some teams will have had 2 or 3 and we will still be at BP!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 170
lew chaterleys lover
July 23, 2023, 8:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,726
Gold Stars: 237
I used to visit the commercial department on business in the Tony Richardson era and they were despairing at the low gates we got in some of the Championship years. It is all the more irritating when like a lot of people I had seen regular gates at BP of well over 12k and some amazing gates of over 22k (one a fourth division game against Exeter,  albeit to clinch the title).

Despite some great football, great players and a great manager we never got the number of fans we deserved and I remember some people saying we were never going to get promoted to the top flight, so it took some of the interest away. I think there is a ring of truth in that; if you think you have reached your ceiling you might not have further ambitions.

I think if we ever reached those heights again  I would think we would get 10k if we had the capacity, as football is seemingly more popular than ever. I think if we even reached league 1 demand would outstrip supply.
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 170
WOZOFGRIMSBY
July 23, 2023, 8:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,839
Gold Stars: 178
I used to visit the commercial department on business in the Tony Richardson era and they were despairing at the low gates we got in some of the Championship years. It is all the more irritating when like a lot of people I had seen regular gates at BP of well over 12k and some amazing gates of over 22k (one a fourth division game against Exeter,  albeit to clinch the title).

Despite some great football, great players and a great manager we never got the number of fans we deserved and I remember some people saying we were never going to get promoted to the top flight, so it took some of the interest away. I think there is a ring of truth in that; if you think you have reached your ceiling you might not have further ambitions.

I think if we ever reached those heights again  I would think we would get 10k if we had the capacity, as football is seemingly more popular than ever. I think if we even reached league 1 demand would outstrip supply.

But then you look at Luton getting promoted back to the top flight, Leicester winning the league, Wigan winning the fa cup. If we didn’t have dreams of the big time as football fans why even turn up? Like every supporter of every club in the world, you turn up to see your team and want them to win. Sometimes it happens, more than often, it doesn’t. But having that belief is what matters most

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 170
It Bites
July 23, 2023, 8:40pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,217
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

But then you look at Luton getting promoted back to the top flight, Leicester winning the league, Wigan winning the fa cup. If we didn’t have dreams of the big time as football fans why even turn up? Like every supporter of every club in the world, you turn up to see your team and want them to win. Sometimes it happens, more than often, it doesn’t. But having that belief is what matters most

That’s exactly how Fenty destroyed the club , he took away Hope
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 170
HerveJosse
July 23, 2023, 9:55pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Average attendances have approximately doubled across all four divisions since the low of the mid to late eighties so there is no reason why our typical championship attendance of 5 to 6k of the Buckley era wouldn’t be 10-12k now if we had the facilities.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 170
lew chaterleys lover
July 23, 2023, 10:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,726
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Nonetheless I am talking about 35 years ago and the impression at the time was that we could go no further and would invariably be involved a relegation scrap at best. I was disappointed more than most that we didn't get the support we deserved,  but I am just relaying the feeling at the time.
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 170
GYinScuntland
July 23, 2023, 10:34pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from toontown

About 8k at home which is decent, about 11k when in div in the early 80s

Shows, like has been  said, how much attendances have gone up

Probably not, it's more to do with the fact that every game is now ticketed.
Nearly every game in the 70's, 80's, 90's you could just rock up and pay on the gate and you could see the fiddles going on at every ground, every week. Three, four or five for the club, one for the bloke on the turnstiles.
Full ground? No problem, bung the geezer a couple of quid in his hand and he'll squeeze another few hundred in, no seats in those days and no-one noticed nor cared until people started getting hurt.
Ground attendance statistics back in the day were pure guessing games, I'm sure of it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 170
diehardmariner
July 24, 2023, 11:52am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,632
Gold Stars: 539
Football attendances in the late 80's and for at least a decade after were destroyed by a number of things.

Hillsborough, the criminalisation of football fans, the Taylor Report, cages, ongoing hooliganism, the novelty of more than one TV game a week which diverted attention away from the live game.  No doubt other factors too.

They all contributed to the low attendances at football grounds up and down the country.  Ours was no exception.  I started going late 80's and despite some incredible success and even better entertainment, our attendances were dreadful throughout with the exception of 'big' games.

The trend is that football is more popular than it has been for absolute years, decades in fact. There's no value in predicting we wouldn't breach five-figures just because we didn't do it in 1994.  
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 170
sam gy
July 24, 2023, 1:03pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from It Bites

That’s exactly how Fenty destroyed the club , he took away Hope

He wasn't a great player, to be fair.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 170
heppy88
July 24, 2023, 2:08pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Went to the ticket office this morning. New signage being put up at the front of the ticket office and a large, 3D GTFC lettered office divider facing the customers in the office. Very classy and just another improvement, making us appear more professional for the benefit of supporters and staff. Great work.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 170
18 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ground Improvements - Well done GTFC

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.