Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ground Improvements - Well done GTFC
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 162 Guests

Ground Improvements - Well done GTFC

This thread currently has 19,118 views. Print
18 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
DB
July 21, 2023, 7:22am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,004
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from It Bites

I think Andrew and Jason should be on the phone to Mr Hilton of Scunthorpe. He's going to deliver a 12,000 seater stadium on a tip in 2 years ..............

Whist paying rent to play somewhere in that time and all from less than 2,000 ST holders

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 170
rancido
July 21, 2023, 7:27am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,570
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from ska face
I think the club have been badly, almost exceptionally badly, failed by a series of myopic, small-time Councillors and Council exec/leaders. These people are supposed to set and deliver the vision for the area, and all they seem interested in is potholes.

2019 should’ve been the time to press on - as Fenty said, all the ducks were in a row with one party in overall control of the Council, both MPs seemingly in alignment with the Council and vast pots of money available for big projects & regeneration schemes.

Absolutely nothing, from what I can see, has been meaningfully delivered. This isn’t party-political, its systemic. A wasted opportunity of monumental proportions for the town.  

This is spot on. I have taken an interest in local politics for over 50 years and our local councils, regardless of political persuasion, have consistently let the residents down. We are a relatively small town but sadly we produce local councils and councillors with " small town" attitudes. We have also clung on to our fame as the "largest fishing port in the world" yet that industry has virtually disappeared and most of the other industries that supported it. The local population also don't help with constant objections to any dynamic or forward thinking projects that are proposed.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 170
MuddyWaters
July 21, 2023, 7:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,244
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Yarborough Vaults

Just don't mention the Xmas Market eh?

Freemo was a once in a lifetime chance to get the stadium in the perfect place. Instead it's probably going to end up with the same kind of housing/vibe as before ie a dumping ground.

My favourite place in the world is a seat in the Lower but BP is a crumbling, and increasingly costly, relic that needs to be replaced ASAP. Our owners are multi millionaires so have the cash to make it happen

I wonder what happened to Tom Shutes? 🤔🤔
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 170
WOZOFGRIMSBY
July 21, 2023, 7:46am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from It Bites

I think Andrew and Jason should be on the phone to Mr Hilton of Scunthorpe. He's going to deliver a 12,000 seater stadium on a tip in 2 years ..............

Can you narrow down the area of said tip!?

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 170
lew chaterleys lover
July 21, 2023, 8:09am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from rancido

This is spot on. I have taken an interest in local politics for over 50 years and our local councils, regardless of political persuasion, have consistently let the residents down. We are a relatively small town but sadly we produce local councils and councillors with " small town" attitudes. We have also clung on to our fame as the "largest fishing port in the world" yet that industry has virtually disappeared and most of the other industries that supported it. The local population also don't help with constant objections to any dynamic or forward thinking projects that are proposed.

I agree but what makes it worse is that we are not a "relatively small town" especially as Grimsby and Cleethorpes are as one.

NE Lincs should have far more dynamic councils than we have had so far.
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 170
White_shorts
July 21, 2023, 3:22pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -647
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Sussexmariner
Alternatively…..it’s a Tuesday night in January, Town have a home game against  fellow mid table opponents Preston North End. Do you think 12-13k would be adequate?

I concede that there might 'only' be 12k for a midweek game in the middle of winter against mid-table opposition.  However, that is not a good enough reason not to build a new stadium with a minimum 15k capacity.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 170
Heisenberg
July 21, 2023, 3:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,047
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from White_shorts

I concede that there might 'only' be 12k for a midweek game in the middle of winter against mid-table opposition.  However, that is not a good enough reason not to build a new stadium with a minimum 15k capacity.

I agree it should still be built, but I’m also pretty confident those sorts of fixtures would be down to about 6000 even in a new ground.

And I’m 100% on board with a move, I just think we need to be realistic. It’s a myth that championship sides fill away ends - I’ll never forget Stoke brining 300 for a Saturday game once. That happens a lot. Even some Prem teams travel poorly, both midweek and weekend.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 170
White_shorts
July 21, 2023, 3:43pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -647
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from diehardmariner
It was a massive missed opportunity in my opinion, from all involved.

Part of the problem was that two years were wasted on a docks stadium fantasy.

October 2018: high-rise flats demolished.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/grimsbys-new-skyline-east-marsh-2116943

May 2019: "Deal to build new Grimsby Town stadium at docks is close"

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/new-grimsby-town-stadium-docks-3089494

May 2020: "Tom Shutes reveals stunning plan for new stadium at docks"

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/tom-shutes-reveals-stunning-plan-4110684

April 2021: "Businessman Tom Shutes pulls out of consortium"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56610257

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 170
Bigdog
July 23, 2023, 12:26am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from diehardmariner

Unfortunately Bigdog, you've absolutely smashed the nail deep in to the problem there.

There is this incredibly weird sense of NIMBYism mixed with this obsession with fixing problems that don't really exist.  The council have proved to be and are still at fault for large parts of this. Ridiculous schemes like the pissing Palm Tree that never was, the paving farce in Grimsby centre, John Fenty's £1million bridge next to a bridge that was perfectly usable, the constant moving about of the bus station....  

But the residents have their part to play too. Every time anything different is suggested it's absolutely shot down.  The stock answer is always "we don't need one/another one".  Retail is dead and it's all about the entertainment and leisure sector now.  Yet every time a derelict shop is converted into a bar the same old chorus is heard that we don't need more bars.  Well yes we do. We do because they create jobs.  They create jobs for people to earn money, which in turn means they can spend that money and create more jobs...

There are no rules on how many of things you can have.  The cinema, if it ever gets built, in the place of Freshney Place isn't needed apparently because we've got a cinema in Cleethorpes. My favourite comment on this was "it's the same company too".  As if by having a Parkway and an Odeon is ok, but not two of the same.  Because they show different films, right?

It's the same with the football ground.  On this forum there is always that mindset of 'why do we need extra seats, why do we need to release more seats for games, why do we need to try to make things better'.   Because if you stay standing you go backwards!  Be it with the football club or with the town itself.

NE Lincs has so much untapped potential that it's painful to watch it just drift aimlessly along.  Content for the only developments to be for extra housing and hoping that the windfarm industry magically brings back the golden days of when the fishing fleet ruled the world.   The windfarm industry might create jobs and it even bring people to the area, but it won't regenerate a dying town. That has to come from within, from the people.

Unfortunately for the future of Grimsby, the industry is built on financial and scientific quicksand and is fast being exposed as a scam. To top it all off, the ecological, environmental and aesthetical damage it's doing is heartbreaking..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 170
lukeo
July 23, 2023, 6:48am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Obviously this is slightly tongue in cheek and I assume it isn't available but the massive plot of land Pleasure Island used to be is a great location. Plenty of parking already set up on site.
For away fans they can either stay at Thorpe Park or the other caravan sites (great for Yorkshire clubs) or if they're catching the train they can get the train to Clee then the mini train (I assume it still runs) away fans would love that  

Obviously this post is mostly tongue in cheek but that area is totally wasted in a half decent location.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 170
18 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ground Improvements - Well done GTFC

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.