15 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 All Recommend Thread
Heswall Mariner
July 9, 2023, 9:44pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +590
Gold Stars: 30
Tony Butcher - as always - has come up with an excellent article on Cod Almighty.
Can't download onto here but well worth a read on his insight into the finances of 3 clubs in our sphere.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Poojah
July 9, 2023, 10:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,559
Gold Stars: 1,500

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 148
Southwark Mariner
July 9, 2023, 11:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,550
Gold Stars: 83
Does he mention football fortune??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 148
Limerick Mariner
July 9, 2023, 11:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,697
Gold Stars: 136
We will have caught up with Lincoln a bit on turnstile revenue, but we will always be behind them, with Blundell Park as it currently is and Lincoln are expanding their away capacity. I reckon they will get nearly £500k more revenue from away fans per season than us once that opens; a relatively accessible location with much better train links they could get an average of circa 1,200 away fans per game at Sincil. Whilst most clubs wouldn’t bring anywhere near that to us we miss out on the big pay days like Bradford and Donny.

Our corporate / executive accommodation is also constrained. If we were promoted we could sell loads more than we do now, there just isn’t the space in the Findus to do that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 148
Mappers
July 10, 2023, 6:08am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,324
Gold Stars: 118
Really interesting and well researched read that .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 148
Mappers
July 10, 2023, 6:13am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
We will have caught up with Lincoln a bit on turnstile revenue, but we will always be behind them, with Blundell Park as it currently is and Lincoln are expanding their away capacity. I reckon they will get nearly £500k more revenue from away fans per season than us once that opens; a relatively accessible location with much better train links they could get an average of circa 1,200 away fans per game at Sincil. Whilst most clubs wouldn’t bring anywhere near that to us we miss out on the big pay days like Bradford and Donny.

Our corporate / executive accommodation is also constrained. If we were promoted we could sell loads more than we do now, there just isn’t the space in the Findus to do that.

I thought the capacity increase at Lincoln got shelved because of Covid costs ,and the new stand is just being redeveloped to improve facilities . Might be wrong though .

Or are Lincoln just offering more away tickets in the ground to away fans as it is ?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 148
aldi_01
July 10, 2023, 6:36am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Interesting read that.

I’ve said for a while that taking the best bits from Luton/Lincoln and possibly a few other scattered about would be a good plan for us, but, it’s also important for us to to approach things that suit GTFC and not just lift and shift.

There’s an argument that our capacity will be a thorn in our side but leaving BP would be an even bigger thorn due to costs etc. I do think we’ll see an extension of some sorts at some point, although expanding the away allocation doesn’t seem worth it, but home fans could be the answer there.

What I take from the article is that you need to maintain some momentum, stay focused and keep moving forward. The minute you take your foot off of the pedal or regress, all is lost, as we saw after last time.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 148
Kris2
July 10, 2023, 7:45am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Leaving BP is great if it can happen but as the article shows it's just money drunk up the wall if it doesn't. You can sink all that money into planning and then the whole operation is shut down because of the people in the local area arguing against it and other planning roadblocks

Had we managed to ride that momentum and get it built who knows where we'd be by now. I guess it could have ended up like Darlington's stadium that just kept costing them more money and led to administration. When the project was at its most likely we were in a much better position than when Darlington spunked a load of money on a new stadium they can't fill.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 148
Mappers
July 10, 2023, 7:55am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Kris2
Leaving BP is great if it can happen but as the article shows it's just money drunk up the wall if it doesn't. You can sink all that money into planning and then the whole operation is shut down because of the people in the local area arguing against it and other planning roadblocks

Had we managed to ride that momentum and get it built who knows where we'd be by now. I guess it could have ended up like Darlington's stadium that just kept costing them more money and led to administration. When the project was at its most likely we were in a much better position than when Darlington spunked a load of money on a new stadium they can't fill.

Christ looking back at the thought of our John being the brainchild behind a new stadium makes me shudder .

It would have been crap ,most of the new builds for lower league teams over the last two decades have been , I went  to Oxford Utd's  ground the other week and it's awful , hate Colchester's , Donny does not do it for me and there are more,  even Wembley I don't like  ; the only one I like a bit is Rotherhams .

I know for financial reasons it's helpful but for matchday they are no way near as good as the old traditional grounds - love BP , love Fratton Park even Selhurst Park ; 'shitholes' but the nostalgia does it for me rather than a posh pint in a fancy concourse .

Just opinion of course

At least if we were ever to get a new one , I would be more confident in Pettit and Stockwood to deliver something to the fans liking though than before .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 148
aldi_01
July 10, 2023, 8:20am

Barley Wine Drinker
Cost aside, football momentum aside, just compare the two periods of ownership…which would honestly have the ability to deliver anything like a stadium project? We all know the answer.

Honest John spaffed a fair few quid of the clubs money up the wall chasing an ambition that, in truth was about him, his ego and his pocket, not the long term future of the club. I honestly believe that had a stadium been anywhere near been built it would’ve been dreadful and probably seen us go the same way as Darlington.

I remember going to Colchester the first time and was terrified, not because we might lose, the steep steps or the fact it’s in the middle of nowhere but because the experience is awful, truly woeful but our John would’ve no doubt been impressed, parking spaces for him, fancy entrance and some ikea designed corporate experience…he’d have wanted something similar, although it would never have been pulled off.

Stadiums can make or break a club and at present you’d imagine that unless you’re flying like Luton for instance, it’s probably a poor time to start investing and exploring a new stadium or full move.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 148
Mike_67
July 10, 2023, 1:04pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +52
Gold Stars: 1
Interesting article.

A few things popped into my head about how Lincoln are doing things.

Is it known who is buying each batch of newly issued shares at Lincoln?
Does it affect the control of the club and if so could this lead to similar  issues with having a single “benefactor”?
Presumably Trust owned clubs couldn’t operate this way as they’d have to find others willing to invest and that would, over time, erode the control over the club?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 148
BobbyCummingsTackle
July 10, 2023, 1:12pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,277
Gold Stars: 306
I did a 'corporate' at Brentford a little while ago and during the tour they said that they could do hospitality for around 50 people at Griffin Park (and they admitted it was not a good experience). At the new stadium it's nearer 5000.

Commercially that is your justification for a new ground, although I know Town would not be getting 5000 in hospitality.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 148
Mappers
July 10, 2023, 1:52pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Mike_67
Interesting article.

A few things popped into my head about how Lincoln are doing things.

Is it known who is buying each batch of newly issued shares at Lincoln?
Does it affect the control of the club and if so could this lead to similar  issues with having a single “benefactor”?
Presumably Trust owned clubs couldn’t operate this way as they’d have to find others willing to invest and that would, over time, erode the control over the club?

It's mainly goodwill I believe through Landon Donavan and American's , with smaller share percentages shared around with control with Nates and operations run by the CEO , seems a really good setup tbf .

Supporters running a club competitively is pie in the sky - look at our new friends Newport - they are a proper fan owned club but have very low crowds and have 13 senior pro's unable to compete financially with hardly anyone in league 2 .

Exeter do it better , but as someone mentioned on another thread got 6 million from the sale of Watkins which must have helped .

Wimbledon are the only other one I can think of , seems be set as an average league 2 club for a while with decent gates .

I actually think we are in the fortunate position that we are essentially fan owned with owners (with £££)that support the club and are willing to let the fans have input .

I would be interested to know of the 92 how many clubs are operated by owners who are lifelong fans - ir's probably - 30 just from the Prem and Champ so you are down to 60 say , and i reckon another half of that are maybe outsiders at a guess.

It's a pretty low bar with the terrible level of football ownership wrong uns though .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 148
Poojah
July 10, 2023, 1:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

It's mainly goodwill I believe through Landon Donavan and American's , with smaller share percentages shared around with control with Nates and operations run by the CEO , seems a really good setup tbf .

Supporters running a club competitively is pie in the sky - look at our new friends Newport - they are a proper fan owned club but have very low crowds and have 13 senior pro's unable to compete financially with hardly anyone in league 2 .

Exeter do it better , but as someone mentioned on another thread got 6 million from the sale of Watkins which must have helped .

Wimbledon are the only other one I can think of , seems be set as an average league 2 club for a while with decent gates .

I actually think we are in the fortunate position that we are essentially fan owned with owners that support the club and are willing to let the fans have input .

It's a pretty low bar with the terrible level of football ownership wrong uns though .

As difficult as it is to pick your promotion favourites for League Two next season, the bottom group is looking increasingly clear.

Newport currently have only two contracted seniors defenders for next season, one of whom still has fewer than 50 appearances to his name.

There’s going to be a very clear divide in next season’s League Two table, I reckon.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 148
Mappers
July 10, 2023, 2:08pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

As difficult as it is to pick your promotion favourites for League Two next season, the bottom group is looking increasingly clear.

Newport currently have only two contracted seniors defenders for next season, one of whom still has fewer than 50 appearances to his name.

There’s going to be a very clear divide in next season’s League Two table, I reckon.

Yeah I would say definately struggle badly-  
Newport
Morecambe
Crawley

Then maybe -
Sutton
Accrington
Colchester
Crewe
FGR
Harrogate
Wimbledon

I am sure Crewe will be the next once bigish traditional club to go at some point soon , no investment and still trying to bring through a few youth players but slowly declining year on year - almost a copy of us from the last decades .

What do you think ,any more ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 148
Limerick Mariner
July 10, 2023, 2:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
I did a 'corporate' at Brentford a little while ago and during the tour they said that they could do hospitality for around 50 people at Griffin Park (and they admitted it was not a good experience). At the new stadium it's nearer 5000.

Commercially that is your justification for a new ground, although I know Town would not be getting 5000 in hospitality.

Yep - I did corporate at Brighton and it was outstanding and they had loads of capacity. £200 was good value for an FA Cup QF. If we drew Derby at home in the FACup first round - what could we sell in corporate to home and away fans if we had the capacity - 200 @ £100? If so it would be close to the same revenue as the away allocation. This is where we lose out with BP as it is now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 148
BobbyCummingsTackle
July 10, 2023, 3:06pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Yep - I did corporate at Brighton and it was outstanding and they had loads of capacity. £200 was good value for an FA Cup QF. If we drew Derby at home in the FACup first round - what could we sell in corporate to home and away fans if we had the capacity - 200 @ £100? If so it would be close to the same revenue as the away allocation. This is where we lose out with BP as it is now.

I get how some want to keep the old girl and not move to a plastic stadium but this is the stark reality of old grounds. As well as restricted income BP is now costing money to just keep going and open. The head has to rule the heart.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 148
lew chaterleys lover
July 10, 2023, 3:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,717
Gold Stars: 237

I get how some want to keep the old girl and not move to a plastic stadium but this is the stark reality of old grounds. As well as restricted income BP is now costing money to just keep going and open. The head has to rule the heart.

But a new stadium is out of the question due to cost, so we are stuck with the old girl whether we like it or not. We will have to refurbish when we can unless miracles happen in the future.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 148
Mike_67
July 10, 2023, 4:25pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +52
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Mappers

I actually think we are in the fortunate position that we are essentially fan owned with owners (with £££)that support the club and are willing to let the fans have input .

I would be interested to know of the 92 how many clubs are operated by owners who are lifelong fans - ir's probably - 30 just from the Prem and Champ so you are down to 60 say , and i reckon another half of that are maybe outsiders at a guess.

Ok thanks.
I always wonder what’s in it for them with investors in football clubs - especially lower league ones.  Either they’re fans that have done well financially and want to have an influence on their local team or they’re in it for some future payoff (or maybe it’s a short term plaything because they’re extremely wealthy). Can’t see a payoff with a lower team though unless they’re putting serious money in and hoping to make it to championship or even higher.
Agree about the fan ownership option. I could never see how a club owned by it’s fanbase could compete when other clubs have much better access to funds - even if I struggle to understand why many of the investors are doing it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 148
BobbyCummingsTackle
July 10, 2023, 5:57pm
Champagne Drinker

But a new stadium is out of the question due to cost, so we are stuck with the old girl whether we like it or not. We will have to refurbish when we can unless miracles happen in the future.

I agree. And the owners have said the same. But there will come a time when the costs of BP are untenable.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 148
Mappers
July 10, 2023, 6:07pm
Champagne Drinker

I agree. And the owners have said the same. But there will come a time when the costs of BP are untenable.

How far off do you think that is ?

I mean is there a point in the short to medium term when the Main stand could be condemned/ not safe to use?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 148
exiledmeggie
July 10, 2023, 6:20pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / -6
Approval: -225
Gold Stars: 19
I suppose to stick with BP is like running the old girl in the 3:15 at Doncaster. No amount of paint is going to make her teeth glow brighter.

Though the crowds suggest that BP is holding its own with a few sellouts a season, we are left with only one corporate capable stand that is showing its age at forty years, yet can, from info in this thread, seat 50 paying customers a game. Having been to other grounds, that is low at our level.

Other clubs I have been to have realised that to go further, more corporate facilities need to be available. Ayr Utd have taken the decision to knock down the old corporate suite and build a ne facility, increasing that income stream. We, at BP, can only get a can of paint out and cover the cracks in the main stand.

But where can we out a new corporate box? When I first went to BP we had open corners, spent many a Saturday on the Constitutional Avenue corner. These are not used, so why not here in the first place?

Until this income stream increases, further league progress is hindered?

Living in Exile since 1980, but still have Black and White blood!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 148
Heisenberg
July 10, 2023, 6:51pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,065
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from Mappers

Yeah I would say definately struggle badly-  
Newport
Morecambe
Crawley

Then maybe -
Sutton
Accrington
Colchester
Crewe
FGR
Harrogate
Wimbledon

I am sure Crewe will be the next once bigish traditional club to go at some point soon , no investment and still trying to bring through a few youth players but slowly declining year on year - almost a copy of us from the last decades .

What do you think ,any more ?

I spoke to an Accrington fan the other day and he reckons they’re in free fall. He rates Rodger who we poached, and even told me their best player justified leaving by the fact he couldn’t afford to travel to Accrington as he was paid so low! Promptly signed for port vale.

He thinks they could ‘do a Scunny’ (my analogy, not his - it’s not in the day-to-day football lexicon yet outside of Lincolnshire) and drop twice on the trot.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 148
NorfolkImp
July 10, 2023, 7:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +11 / -10
Approval: -519
Gold Stars: 11
An interesting thread, as are the replies. I doubt either of us will move from SB/BP anytime soon, but with the upgrading of the Stacey West Stand already in progress, it gives us an advantage in the longer term.

I saw plans for Luton’s new stadium a while back but still no sign of it, and like yourselves, upgrading Kenilworth Road will cost a small fortune that will eat up the Premier League TV income, not to mention players wages if they’re going to have any hope of avoiding relegation.

The Imps look in a good place both on and off the pitch, with top half Tier 3 as good as we can realistically hope for … and I’m content with that.

Private Message
Reply: 23 - 148
lew chaterleys lover
July 10, 2023, 7:21pm
Vodka Drinker

I wonder if it is feasible to do a complete rebuild of BP over time?

The benefit is we already have the plot, we can do it over a decade or more and can be working from a new stadium blueprint but done over a time frame we can afford.

The downsides is that the plot might not be big enough, the cost of dismantling the existing stands increases the price and we would have an even more reduced capacity whilst the work is done.

It is a dilemma for sure, but a new stadium seems out of reach otherwise we would all want that I would imagine if it wasn't a boring flat pack design.

In part it will depend on our success on the field - if we did do as well as we hope it would become critical.

Perhaps it is not on the owners agenda at all. Perhaps their main aims are to get the club properly set up, some success on the field and will pass the baton on to people with even deeper pockets.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 148
Mappers
July 10, 2023, 7:27pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from NorfolkImp
An interesting thread, as are the replies. I doubt either of us will move from SB/BP anytime soon, but with the upgrading of the Stacey West Stand already in progress, it gives us an advantage in the longer term.

I saw plans for Luton’s new stadium a while back but still no sign of it, and like yourselves, upgrading Kenilworth Road will cost a small fortune that will eat up the Premier League TV income, not to mention players wages if they’re going to have any hope of avoiding relegation.

The Imps look in a good place both on and off the pitch, with top half Tier 3 as good as we can realistically hope for … and I’m content with that.

They have to fund 11 million just for it to comply with the EPL criteria , small change for where they are now but fortunes in terms of where they have come from .

I suppose the only realistic route for Town or Lincoln now without somebody putting their hand in their pocket for 40 or 50 million quid is enabling housing projects out of town ; which don't seem to create a great atmosphere both in and out of the stadium .

I think Lincoln might actually have an outside shot of the play-offs next season, a solid club in what looks a notably weaker league 1, with both the teams going up and the one's imploding who have come down from The Champ making it look a more evenly contested league .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 148
Simon
July 10, 2023, 8:21pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Approval: +237
Gold Stars: 33
I would stick my neck out and predict that our next ground will form some part of the "Freshney Valley" project, it's a huge development that could quite easily house a football stadium and other retail space on the land between Great Coates & Healing

Rail network already in place, ample space for car parking and a perfect location for visiting supporters being on the A180

Just needs a few intelligent local folk to get together to make it happen, could be great for Grimsby/Cleethorpes and could solve many of the local issues with just the one development, i.e. park and ride into cleethorpes which would solve traffic/parking issues during the summer months, decent conference facilities & wedding venues etc which the town is lacking the list is endless and all extra commercial income for the club

I love Blundell Park especially on a freezing cold Tuesday evening in December to me that is football but i speak to plenty who don't see the old girl like i do and stay away because the facilities are so poor, speculate to accumulate give the fans a bit of quality and you watch the attendances rise  

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 148
pizzzza
July 10, 2023, 8:31pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Simon
I would stick my neck out and predict that our next ground will form some part of the "Freshney Valley" project, it's a huge development that could quite easily house a football stadium and other retail space on the land between Great Coates & Healing

Rail network already in place, ample space for car parking and a perfect location for visiting supporters being on the A180

Just needs a few intelligent local folk to get together to make it happen, could be great for Grimsby/Cleethorpes and could solve many of the local issues with just the one development, i.e. park and ride into cleethorpes which would solve traffic/parking issues during the summer months, decent conference facilities & wedding venues etc which the town is lacking the list is endless and all extra commercial income for the club

A stadium at Great Coates eh?
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 148
Simon
July 10, 2023, 8:36pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from pizzzza

A stadium at Great Coates eh?

Yeah, funny how things sometimes go full circle

Freshney Valley still has a lot of hoops to jump through to come to fruition so don't hold your breath but it makes sense to have the ground as part of the project, 10-15 years would be my guesstimate

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 148
gtfc_chris
July 10, 2023, 8:58pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,465
Gold Stars: 114

I wonder if it is feasible to do a complete rebuild of BP over time?

The benefit is we already have the plot, we can do it over a decade or more and can be working from a new stadium blueprint but done over a time frame we can afford.

The downsides is that the plot might not be big enough, the cost of dismantling the existing stands increases the price and we would have an even more reduced capacity whilst the work is done.

It is a dilemma for sure, but a new stadium seems out of reach otherwise we would all want that I would imagine if it wasn't a boring flat pack design.

In part it will depend on our success on the field - if we did do as well as we hope it would become critical.

Perhaps it is not on the owners agenda at all. Perhaps their main aims are to get the club properly set up, some success on the field and will pass the baton on to people with even deeper pockets.

I've never previously been a fan of this idea, lending my support more to the brand new crisp stadium in some open space with better commutability. Appeals to mine aesthetic eye.

In the last year or so however I do find myself coming back the other way and wondering if redeveloping BP might be a better option. The one thing I see as difficult within that project though - and why I don't think it would be feasible without substantial cost - is the proximity of houses.

Although we wouldn't need towering stands all the way around like the Findus, the whole point would be to build something to cater not just for today but for the future and hopeful success that might be part of said future. The corners will obviously add an awful lot of extra capacity without the need for height.

The bit I can't see though is how the work will be able to take place, without disrupting the season in terms of encroaching on the pitch and with the houses all round. People within the construction industry may easily point out how simple it could be but I can't see past the limited space for construction without impacting the pitch and ability for games to go ahead.

It also just occurred to me that an improved stadium with improved corporate facilities would require increased car parking availability which again I can't see being possible without a number of houses being purchased and knocked down. Obviously not a show-stopper and still possibly cheaper than a brand new stadium but I imagine could be more tricky to achieve.

It certainly does feel we're between a rock and a hard place at the minute. We've had two seasons out of two with the new owners where ST sales have been fantastic and shows the support is out there, yet we'd perhaps be jumping the gun to rush into a brand new stadium. But we can't prove the height of that support given the limitations BP has. It's a nice problem to be in, and better discussing this than discussing how can we get more local football fans into BP to support the club which was more the case pre JS and AP.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 148
BobbyCummingsTackle
July 10, 2023, 9:10pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

How far off do you think that is ?

I mean is there a point in the short to medium term when the Main stand could be condemned/ not safe to use?

Wouldn‘t have a clue, it`s not my area of expertise. It`s all about safety and as long as it`s deemed safe we can keep going. While the Main is the most obvious potential issue the Osmond is hardly a new stand and will probably attract interest from the safety inspectors as much as the Main.

It`s not just the stand though. The Main has all the changing rooms and other `facilities` and they are woefully out of date. I understand the changing rooms are tiny and just not up to a decent standard (despite sinks being put in for the ladies).

Someone suggested we could knock down BP and rebuild on the same site - the footprint of BP is very small and hemmed in by houses on 3 sides (3 and a bit really). So to increase capacity we would have to build bigger stands and that may not go down well with the residents backing on to the ground. They may also object to the potential increase in traffic and congestion from a bigger ground. And it`s a more expensive option, very few clubs have rebuilt their ground where they were struggling for space - Liverpool took a chunk of Stanley Park, Chelsea had a huge footprint to begin with, Old Tafford has loads of space round it but The Dell, Maine Rd, Bolton (The Old Show Ground!) were all like BP.

Luton is a potential exception as their proposed new ground is slap bang in the town centre but it`s (verbally at least) backed by the council who see it as a focal point for regeneration, very much like the plans we were shown for building a new ground on the old market/flats on Freeman St.

But the owners say a new ground is not on the agenda for the foreseeable future. For their sake, I hope the safety inspectors feel the same way.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 148
BobbyCummingsTackle
July 10, 2023, 9:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from gtfc_chris

I've never previously been a fan of this idea, lending my support more to the brand new crisp stadium in some open space with better commutability. Appeals to mine aesthetic eye.

In the last year or so however I do find myself coming back the other way and wondering if redeveloping BP might be a better option. The one thing I see as difficult within that project though - and why I don't think it would be feasible without substantial cost - is the proximity of houses.

Although we wouldn't need towering stands all the way around like the Findus, the whole point would be to build something to cater not just for today but for the future and hopeful success that might be part of said future. The corners will obviously add an awful lot of extra capacity without the need for height.

The bit I can't see though is how the work will be able to take place, without disrupting the season in terms of encroaching on the pitch and with the houses all round. People within the construction industry may easily point out how simple it could be but I can't see past the limited space for construction without impacting the pitch and ability for games to go ahead.

It also just occurred to me that an improved stadium with improved corporate facilities would require increased car parking availability which again I can't see being possible without a number of houses being purchased and knocked down. Obviously not a show-stopper and still possibly cheaper than a brand new stadium but I imagine could be more tricky to achieve.

It certainly does feel we're between a rock and a hard place at the minute. We've had two seasons out of two with the new owners where ST sales have been fantastic and shows the support is out there, yet we'd perhaps be jumping the gun to rush into a brand new stadium. But we can't prove the height of that support given the limitations BP has. It's a nice problem to be in, and better discussing this than discussing how can we get more local football fans into BP to support the club which was more the case pre JS and AP.

I would be surprised if there was any chance of getting planning permission for new car parking. Planning at the moment generally tries to discourage car use and encourage public transport. Encouraging cars into the area would also increase congestion on match days and no council will legislate for that. The new Everton stadium has almost no car parking.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 148
Mappers
July 10, 2023, 9:38pm
Champagne Drinker

Wouldn‘t have a clue, it`s not my area of expertise. It`s all about safety and as long as it`s deemed safe we can keep going. While the Main is the most obvious potential issue the Osmond is hardly a new stand and will probably attract interest from the safety inspectors as much as the Main.

It`s not just the stand though. The Main has all the changing rooms and other `facilities` and they are woefully out of date. I understand the changing rooms are tiny and just not up to a decent standard (despite sinks being put in for the ladies).

Someone suggested we could knock down BP and rebuild on the same site - the footprint of BP is very small and hemmed in by houses on 3 sides (3 and a bit really). So to increase capacity we would have to build bigger stands and that may not go down well with the residents backing on to the ground. They may also object to the potential increase in traffic and congestion from a bigger ground. And it`s a more expensive option, very few clubs have rebuilt their ground where they were struggling for space - Liverpool took a chunk of Stanley Park, Chelsea had a huge footprint to begin with, Old Tafford has loads of space round it but The Dell, Maine Rd, Bolton (The Old Show Ground!) were all like BP.

Luton is a potential exception as their proposed new ground is slap bang in the town centre but it`s (verbally at least) backed by the council who see it as a focal point for regeneration, very much like the plans we were shown for building a new ground on the old market/flats on Freeman St.

But the owners say a new ground is not on the agenda for the foreseeable future. For their sake, I hope the safety inspectors feel the same way.

Cheers
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 148
Heisenberg
July 10, 2023, 10:44pm
Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,065
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from Simon

I love Blundell Park especially on a freezing cold Tuesday evening in December to me that is football but i speak to plenty who don't see the old girl like i do and stay away because the facilities are so poor, speculate to accumulate give the fans a bit of quality and you watch the attendances rise  

I am 100% behind any new stadium, but let’s be honest, there is no money for this and never will be. Even a town fan winning the Euro Millions probably wouldn’t pay the bill.

A new ground is never, ever going to happen. It’s taken me years to realise it, but I believe it’s very likely fact. Gutting.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 148
Mappers
July 10, 2023, 11:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Heisenberg

I am 100% behind any new stadium, but let’s be honest, there is no money for this and never will be. Even a town fan winning the Euro Millions probably wouldn’t pay the bill.

A new ground is never, ever going to happen. It’s taken me years to realise it, but I believe it’s very likely fact. Gutting.

I suppose one step at a time

Has anyone got an update on the new training ground?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 148
aldi_01
July 11, 2023, 6:51am

Barley Wine Drinker
I must be in the minority but I’m really not arsed about a new ground, certainly not one stuck out near flipping Great Coates with intercourse all around it.

The owners have been keen to stress the importance of building a community club, a stadium stuck on the edge of town does not say ‘community’. Again, we have people obsessing over increasing parking, surely, in 2023 we should be looking at getting fans and encouraging fans to get to a ground in other ways rather than just encouraging driving.

It seems like everyone went to Brighton, no massive car park there.

I’d imagine that many a discussion has taken place regarding a redevelopment of BP, and whilst some armchair experts seem to obsess over BP being knackered and seem to have some insider made up knowledge about safety certificates etc, I think there’s genuine suggestions probably being made about BP.

The previous owner wasted so much time and money on a Roy of the rovers drawing and seeking planning permission at sites that were beneficial to him that he ignored BP completely because of pig ignorance really. Had he given it a tad more TLC it wouldn’t be half as bad.

Also, if you live on say, Blundell Ave, if the pontoon suddenly doubled in height, I’m not sure that would have any negative effect on either your life or property, and it would be a modern looking building as opposed to what exists now.

Besides, there isn’t the money knocking about so fans would be better thinking about other stuff and talking about the club improving in other aspects because we’re not getting a ground anytime soon.

Is it worth potentially bankrupting a club simply to increase some corporate aspects and because a few precious folk don’t want to sit in an old stadium (these folk seem mythical and I’d imagine don’t got to any games in league 2 other than Donnie away and May be Bradford)…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 148
lukeo
July 11, 2023, 7:29am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Short term to put it bluntly we need more seats at BP.
We have less than 200 decent viewing sears available in the home stands after season ticket sales. We have a minimum of 500 walk up fans at weekends and this is before the new owners came in and seats became limited.
I assume they are already but we need to be looking at how we can increase the home capacity for this season. Its a very small risk but if we are doing well we can easily get 7k home fans in most weeks
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 148
aldi_01
July 11, 2023, 7:36am

Barley Wine Drinker
It’s a genuine question but how many people do we ‘turn away’ each home game?

We heard all last season there were loads being turned away yet it never seemed more than a handful of fans who had a mate of a mate who couldn’t get a ticket…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 148
1mickylyons
July 11, 2023, 7:36am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
Short to mid term I'd like to see the Pontoon extended round to the Findus and Main at the same height the Pontoon currently is . This would make a better atmosphere and add around 2k home seats. Next a complete gutting and refurb of the Main stand which whilst not really adding capacity could make 2/300 of the seats more viable to purchase with a ST? . On a smaller scale between Findus  and Osmond a purpose built state of the art disabled stand possibly with more corporate space .The cost would be manageable but its not a quick fix by any means and personally I'd much prefer a new ground Freemo/Docks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 148
BobbyCummingsTackle
July 11, 2023, 8:15am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

We heard all last season there were loads being turned away yet it never seemed more than a handful of fans who had a mate of a mate who couldn’t get a ticket…

I`m an exile. I couldn`t get a ticket for a home game last year other than with a restricted view and I couldn`t get 2 together for me and my wife. So I didn`t go.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 148
Maringer
July 11, 2023, 8:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,519
Gold Stars: 185
With modern building technology, I suspect it would be possible to build a much better stand in the footprint of the Findus, wider, with more seats (and a better view if the posts were removed) and facilities better suited for corporate/office stuff. Same goes for the Main Stand, of course.

Other than the cost, the big issue is what to do with the fans while these things are being built. You can't build a stand in a couple of months so, at current levels of attendance, somebody would have to miss out for a while.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 148
BobbyCummingsTackle
July 11, 2023, 8:23am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01
I must be in the minority but I’m really not arsed about a new ground, certainly not one stuck out near flipping Great Coates with intercourse all around it.

The owners have been keen to stress the importance of building a community club, a stadium stuck on the edge of town does not say ‘community’. Again, we have people obsessing over increasing parking, surely, in 2023 we should be looking at getting fans and encouraging fans to get to a ground in other ways rather than just encouraging driving.

It seems like everyone went to Brighton, no massive car park there.

I’d imagine that many a discussion has taken place regarding a redevelopment of BP, and whilst some armchair experts seem to obsess over BP being knackered and seem to have some insider made up knowledge about safety certificates etc, I think there’s genuine suggestions probably being made about BP.

The previous owner wasted so much time and money on a Roy of the rovers drawing and seeking planning permission at sites that were beneficial to him that he ignored BP completely because of pig ignorance really. Had he given it a tad more TLC it wouldn’t be half as bad.

Also, if you live on say, Blundell Ave, if the pontoon suddenly doubled in height, I’m not sure that would have any negative effect on either your life or property, and it would be a modern looking building as opposed to what exists now.

Besides, there isn’t the money knocking about so fans would be better thinking about other stuff and talking about the club improving in other aspects because we’re not getting a ground anytime soon.

Is it worth potentially bankrupting a club simply to increase some corporate aspects and because a few precious folk don’t want to sit in an old stadium (these folk seem mythical and I’d imagine don’t got to any games in league 2 other than Donnie away and May be Bradford)…

Your comments about armchair experts and having insider knowledge about safety certificates feels like a dig at me and that`s fine, it`s all about opinions.

I started the post saying I wasn`t an expert and you hardly need insider knowledge to suggest safety certificates may be an issue for the oldest (all wooden) stand still in use at a senior football ground.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 148
lew chaterleys lover
July 11, 2023, 8:37am
Vodka Drinker

I would be surprised if there was any chance of getting planning permission for new car parking. Planning at the moment generally tries to discourage car use and encourage public transport. Encouraging cars into the area would also increase congestion on match days and no council will legislate for that. The new Everton stadium has almost no car parking.

I agree entirely about the parking. Fashionable thinking changes all the time - at one time out of town stadia was all the rage, with the car parks seemingly the most important thing. Now it is the complete opposite with planners desperate to reduce car journeys.

This adds to the benefit of perhaps improving BP over time, as it seems it is less of a hindrance in not requiring a massive plot. If we can get any form of decent stadium on that site for playing the matches and an improved corporate presence then that might be OK in the longer term.

A rebuild with clever options to get the fans to the ground might be a plan, but as someone said we are between a rock and a hard place whatever we do.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 148
BobbyCummingsTackle
July 11, 2023, 9:43am
Champagne Drinker

I agree entirely about the parking. Fashionable thinking changes all the time - at one time out of town stadia was all the rage, with the car parks seemingly the most important thing. Now it is the complete opposite with planners desperate to reduce car journeys.

This adds to the benefit of perhaps improving BP over time, as it seems it is less of a hindrance in not requiring a massive plot. If we can get any form of decent stadium on that site for playing the matches and an improved corporate presence then that might be OK in the longer term.

A rebuild with clever options to get the fans to the ground might be a plan, but as someone said we are between a rock and a hard place whatever we do.

Agreed although I struggle to see thinking about car journeys changing in the foreseeable future, the whole of society is trying to wean itself off them. A number of clubs run very good park and ride schemes from car parks some distance from the ground but that's quite expensive to run for the club.

The other thing that counts against out of town developments is the death of bricks and mortar retail. A lot of new grounds were tied to retail developments (as was the original Gt Coates plan) but the big shops are reluctant to get into that unless they're in a guaranteed spot for footfall etc

I was a big fan of the Freeman St proposal because it seemed to tick a lot of boxes but it appears that it was as much a pipe dream as some of the other schemes imagined during the dark days of the previous regime.

Rebuilding BP is possible, Brentford's new ground was built on a very small parcel of land, but it's the balance between the added expense of that and the cost of a new piece of land with easier access and far fewer restrictions. And the loss of income to the club while chunks of the ground are closed off for building.

And finally, I don't know anything about this but, the council has not been helpful to the club over the years and I can't imagine that the planning committee would be supportive of the disruption that rebuilding BP would cause. Especially if some of the club's neighbours (aka voters) started kicking off about it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 148
lew chaterleys lover
July 11, 2023, 9:48am
Vodka Drinker

Agreed although I struggle to see thinking about car journeys changing in the foreseeable future, the whole of society is trying to wean itself off them. A number of clubs run very good park and ride schemes from car parks some distance from the ground but that's quite expensive to run for the club.

The other thing that counts against out of town developments is the death of bricks and mortar retail. A lot of new grounds were tied to retail developments (as was the original Gt Coates plan) but the big shops are reluctant to get into that unless they're in a guaranteed spot for footfall etc

I was a big fan of the Freeman St proposal because it seemed to tick a lot of boxes but it appears that it was as much a pipe dream as some of the other schemes imagined during the dark days of the previous regime.

Rebuilding BP is possible, Brentford's new ground was built on a very small parcel of land, but it's the balance between the added expense of that and the cost of a new piece of land with easier access and far fewer restrictions. And the loss of income to the club while chunks of the ground are closed off for building.

And finally, I don't know anything about this but, the council has not been helpful to the club over the years and I can't imagine that the planning committee would be supportive of the disruption that rebuilding BP would cause. Especially if some of the club's neighbours (aka voters) started kicking off about it.

Like we say, betwixt a rock and a hard place!
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 148
gtfc_chris
July 11, 2023, 9:58am
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

What's your dataset to make that conclusion?

There's a number of people here who discuss and debate the ticket situation, many of whom are ST holders so the information wouldn't apply. In a town coupled with surrounding areas of population somewhere in the region of 120,000, it's not possible to fully quantify how many fans we're missing out on based on knowing a very small proportion of them.

The only distinguishing words you've used are 'being turned away'. The club can't/don't/won't turn people away. People are either able to get a ticket because it's available or they're not. The point many of the posters here raise is how many are not turning up because when they look at what is available on the ticketing portal it is a singular ticket here or a row of tickets right at the back of the main stand?

The Osmond has been open and more often than not it hasn't sold out and suggests we don't need to do much to expand. But again, there's a void of knowledge and information as to whether people are choosing not to sit in there for whatever reasons.

Unless you questioned every person in Grimsby, Cleethorpes and surrounding areas and took very targeted information it can never be proven either way. Limited ticket availability in the home ends supports the view that we're outgrowing BP and need to take measures to increase our capacity. The fact we're not selling out the overflow area when the Osmond is open supports the view that we can still get a few more in yet.

This was another topic of debate last season but if the club announced the attendance on tickets sold (which can be referenced to the online ticketing portal) this would probably show a different picture to the spins of the turnstile approach. Take both and we'd answer a third debate about what percentage of ticket holders are not attending per game.

Personally I think we have to have immediate ideas and plans to increase capacity. We're all looking at these last two years and how much change is happening in terms of outlook and engagement with fans. The data is conclusive that we've twice hit record ST sales and so our match going fanbase is increasing, without question. If we have a good season, dare I say it get promoted, that trend will only continue and possibly intensify and we need to be ready to capitalise on people willing to get behind the club whilst we can because there's always a risk that the bubble could burst.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 148
BobbyCummingsTackle
July 11, 2023, 10:32am
Champagne Drinker

Like we say, betwixt a rock and a hard place!

Maybe we should talk to Scunny about a ground share in (say) Brigg? They sell GP (if they actually own it), we sell BP and we build a brand new 18000 seat stadium. They'd only have to open one stand for a home game.

I'M JOKING!!!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 148
diehardmariner
July 11, 2023, 11:04am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,625
Gold Stars: 539
Great post Chris.  The overflow in the Osmond is an interesting point, how often have we sold or got close to selling that out when we've had the option to dip into it.

There's a lot of presumptions that we're having to make when it comes to our capacity, our tickets sold vs bums on seats and demand that isn't/can't be met.

Without wanting to dampen any enthusiasm for this coming season, last season was largely a hard watch.  You take the cup run out of it and it was dull as ditchwater, especially at home.  Yet we continually did or got very close to selling all available tickets.  What's it going to be like when we're entertaining and/or winning lots of games?  

Similarish number of season tickets sold with yet another presumption that the approx. 20% non-renewal rate/new uptake is a case of exiles buying in panic dropping off with the uptake coming from those closer to the ground (and more likely to go to more games).  Logic suggests that those 1,000 new ST holders will largely come from those who wanted to walk-up last season and ended up getting the excrement seats dotted about here, there and everywhere.  So our actual bums on seats might not increase that much.  But again, you add into the equation that we hope to have a better season and I'm not so sure.

I think we need to accept that a new stadium isn't happening, not without one of two things happening first.  1) Someone finds £60million down the back of the sofa that they're happy to throw at a 12,000 purpose built stadium.  2) The costs associated with building a 12,000 purpose built stadium absolutely collapse.  Scenario 1 isn't going to happen.  If scenario 2 happens I suspect the wider knock on would rule us out of any such move anyway.  That means we're at BP, or at least the footprint, of BP for a long, long time.

Essential we make the most of what we can.  Redevelopment is an option and I seem to think that very early in the tenure of 1878 Pettit noted that (or Stockwood referenced it) an area of his expertise is utilising limited space in such situations like this.  To my limited knowledge we don't have anyone frequent this board who's got that level of insight, skills or experience.  It could well be that it's not unfeasible to do some very clever and creative adjustments to turn BP into something very sustainable for the future.

What I do know is that redevelopment doesn't happen overnight.  Nor in the course of a summer.  Any redeveloping or rebuilding of individual stands will take time and it will have to done bit-by-bit.  The costs for this will still be exceptionally high.  Playing crudely with figures but if we decided to rebuild the Main Stand, for example, that's a quarter of your capacity gone for a season.  Now of course once that's rebuilt you would hope that it holds a good portion more, so when you come onto rebuild, lets say, the Pontoon the reduction is a lower percentage of your capacity.  By the time you come to the final stand, it's comparatively minimal to first phase.  

But to start off with, whichever stand we redevelop first, we would be left with about 6,000 capacity as a maximum.  Our recent bar is there or there abouts anyway.  Last season it was felt that if it the gate dipped below 6,000 it was a low gate. As we strive to improve, I think need to stick to that as a minimum.  If we do redevelop, I would hope that some sort of temp seating is in place where possible to reduce the number of lost seats.

When it comes to a corporate offer, we're not even as good as inadequate.  The staff do their best with what they've got but they're swimming against a rip-tide.  Again, if redevelopment happens then the first 'new' stand needs to have the flagship corporate functions in there so we can play catch-up as soon as possible.

I would genuinely love to know what 1878's thoughts and plans are on the future in terms of how we navigate this very tough position.  Fully appreciate they're near certain to not share that for the time.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 148
OddShapedBalls
July 11, 2023, 11:45am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,191
Gold Stars: 39
Crazy idea - rip down the Findus, expand it outwards into the car park, make it wider so it goes to the Ponny and the Osmond, stick some huge sparkly new changing rooms at basement level on that side with a basement car park for the club officials and then have a stonking great hospitality set up, along with club shop and more food/drink outlets across ground floor and 2nd (or even a third tier!). Solves the changing room issues, the corporate issues, the land issues (maybe) and creates more seats in general. All the money making bits taken care of in this 1st phase means it can pay itself off quicker and then allow a rebuild of the next stand in turn etc

Bring on the red crosses!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 148
BobbyCummingsTackle
July 11, 2023, 11:46am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner
Great post Chris.  The overflow in the Osmond is an interesting point, how often have we sold or got close to selling that out when we've had the option to dip into it.

There's a lot of presumptions that we're having to make when it comes to our capacity, our tickets sold vs seats on bums and demand that isn't/can't be met.

Without wanting to dampen any enthusiasm for this coming season, last season was largely a hard watch.  You take the cup run out of it and it was dull as ditchwater, especially at home.  Yet we continually did or got very close to selling all available tickets.  What's it going to be like when we're entertaining and/or winning lots of games?  

Similarish number of season tickets sold with yet another presumption that the approx. 20% non-renewal rate/new uptake is a case of exiles buying in panic dropping off with the uptake coming from those closer to the ground (and more likely to go to more games).  Logic suggests that those 1,000 new ST holders will largely come from those who wanted to walk-up last season and ended up getting the excrement seats dotted about here, there and everywhere.  So our actual bums on seats might not increase that much.  But again, you add into the equation that we hope to have a better season and I'm not so sure.

I think we need to accept that a new stadium isn't happening, not without one of two things happening first.  1) Someone finds £60million down the back of the sofa that they're happy to throw at a 12,000 purpose built stadium.  2) The costs associated with building a 12,000 purpose built stadium absolutely collapse.  Scenario 1 isn't going to happen.  If scenario 2 happens I suspect the wider knock on would rule us out of any such move anyway.  That means we're at BP, or at least the footprint, of BP for a long, long time.

Essential we make the most of what we can.  Redevelopment is an option and I seem to think that very early in the tenure of 1878 Pettit noted that (or Stockwood referenced it) an area of his expertise is utilising limited space in such situations like this.  To my limited knowledge we don't have anyone frequent this board who's got that level of insight, skills or experience.  It could well be that it's not unfeasible to do some very clever and creative adjustments to turn BP into something very sustainable for the future.

What I do know is that redevelopment doesn't happen overnight.  Nor in the course of a summer.  Any redeveloping or rebuilding of individual stands will take time and it will have to done bit-by-bit.  The costs for this will still be exceptionally high.  Playing crudely with figures but if we decided to rebuild the Main Stand, for example, that's a quarter of your capacity gone for a season.  Now of course once that's rebuilt you would hope that it holds a good portion more, so when you come onto rebuild, lets say, the Pontoon the reduction is a lower percentage of your capacity.  By the time you come to the final stand, it's comparatively minimal to first phase.  

But to start off with, whichever stand we redevelop first, we would be left with about 6,000 capacity as a maximum.  Our recent bar is there or there abouts anyway.  Last season it was felt that if it the gate dipped below 6,000 it was a low gate. As we strive to improve, I think need to stick to that as a minimum.  If we do redevelop, I would hope that some sort of temp seating is in place where possible to reduce the number of lost seats.

When it comes to a corporate offer, we're not even as good as inadequate.  The staff do their best with what they've got but they're swimming against a rip-tide.  Again, if redevelopment happens then the first 'new' stand needs to have the flagship corporate functions in there so we can play catch-up as soon as possible.

I would genuinely love to know what 1878's thoughts and plans are on the future in terms of how we navigate this very tough position.  Fully appreciate they're near certain to not share that for the time.

Good post. Temp seats in the Constitutional and Imperial Ave corners could go a fair way to offsetting the loss of seats if The Main was redeveloped and then The Main would be ready for whatever was going to happen on the other side of the ground.

Another option could be safe standing and that would offer us a lot more capacity.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 148
mariner91
July 11, 2023, 12:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,652
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from aldi_01

Several times I couldn't get tickets with my brother or a mate (depending who I was coming with) so we didn't bother.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 148
Mappers
July 11, 2023, 12:12pm
Champagne Drinker
There are a lot that won't go because of poor views , my dad and brother went to the first couple but after being situated behind a post one game and back of the main another ,said they would not bother unless they got better seats .

It does not take a lot for the less hardcore fans to have an excuse to 'leave it ' without an easy yes .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 148
lew chaterleys lover
July 11, 2023, 12:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from OddShapedBalls
Crazy idea - rip down the Findus, expand it outwards into the car park, make it wider so it goes to the Ponny and the Osmond, stick some huge sparkly new changing rooms at basement level on that side with a basement car park for the club officials and then have a stonking great hospitality set up, along with club shop and more food/drink outlets across ground floor and 2nd (or even a third tier!). Solves the changing room issues, the corporate issues, the land issues (maybe) and creates more seats in general. All the money making bits taken care of in this 1st phase means it can pay itself off quicker and then allow a rebuild of the next stand in turn etc

Crazy idea or not that car park indeed gives us scope to do all sorts? Obviously, an architect could look at the entire footprint of BP and come up with something really special and in the order it should be tackled, and lets hope next season goes as well as we hope to get the ground and what we can do with it up the agenda.

What a thrill it would be to see some workable plans in place for an improved BP or new stadium, whichever is likely to happen first.
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 148
TownSNAFU5
July 11, 2023, 12:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
We have issues with the UF, never mind the oldest wooden stand in the country   This stand is likely to be nearly full every game.  The congestion around the Trust bar, refreshments area is potentially dangerous.  Everyone going through 1 set of double doors.

Luton are building a new £10 million stand, replacing an old stand.  They want to do this and have it in place for the start of the coming season.

No idea how or if they can do this. Maybe lessons for us in the future?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 148
Poojah
July 11, 2023, 12:34pm
Vodka Drinker

Brentford is certainly the best example of a fine new stadium built on a very sub-optimal piece of land, and in many ways is a modern interpretation of old school grounds like Blundell Park.

I've said previously that you could not build a new ground of meaningful size on the site of BP without purchasing and razing at least some of the surrounding houses, which has significant cost-implications and complexities associated with it, not to mention is morrally questionable (see Liverpool's expansion of Anfield). However, I superimposed Brentford's community over the boundaries of Blundell Park (including parking spaces), at scale, and it's perhaps not as far out as I had thought. Brentford's ground holds 17,250, so could you realistically build something similar in style of between 12,000 and 14,000? Probably, with the requisite architectural skill and a concession or two over the odd quirky design element (the likes of which Brentford's stadium isn't completely without).

[img]https://i.ibb.co/DpWqVJL/bfc-stad.png[/img]
Interesting though this is, the only real hurdle it solves is that it removes the need to find a new site. The bigger challenges of planning permission and much more pertinently finance would still loom just as large. It would perhaps offer the option of doing things in more modular fashion which may ease (or at least spread) the financial burden, but that comes with it's own headaches and risks (how do you accommodate the lost capacity in the interim, what if it never gets finished?).

But it is at least an option. How long is the realistic shelf life of the Main Stand and the Osmond? In their current guise, you'd imagine less than a decade. Even with some significant material improvements to their fundamental structures, is it realistic that they are hosting fans in 2043? I very much doubt it.

There are some monumental financial hurdles to climb amidst an unpredictable economic landscape, but as someone who has tended to pour cold water on the chances of a new ground (in any form), the steady rate at which the club is now moving forward at least gives me a modicum of hope that it could happen at some point in the foreseeable future. Not in the next 5 years, but somewhere in the window of 5 to 15 years, I feel we might just see something come to fruition.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 148
gtfc_chris
July 11, 2023, 12:36pm
Snakebite drinker

I think some of that might be a little bit crazy but not totally unheard of. I'm sure Monaco have a car park underneath their stadium.

The part I like is ensuring the more functional and 'in-need' improvements would be done first in this hypothetical redevelopment of BP. It's nothing short of common sense when written or said out loud, but in truth I'd not really considered at which point the corporate side or anything like that was factored in, more simply - get some more seats and make it look nice.

If you said that we'd need to sacrifice some houses to redevelop BP but with minimal disruption, I think you'd be looking at the end few houses near the Findus to extend the length of the pitch. Sorry if you happen to live there, but its for the greater good!  

As you suggested, I think that then gives you the chance to nearly double the capacity of that stand. Creative planners would no doubt be able to figure out how to merge the new and old into one seamless piece with increased corporate etc if you didn't simply knock it down and build again.

Will stop at this point because the mind runs away and I get all excited about something that is highly unlikely inside the next 10 years. I suppose for the moment what we hope is that the team keep doing well, the demand keeps increasing as does the pressure to do something.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 148
pizzzza
July 11, 2023, 12:50pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from gtfc_chris

If you said that we'd need to sacrifice some houses to redevelop BP but with minimal disruption, I think you'd be looking at the end few houses near the Findus to extend the length of the pitch. Sorry if you happen to live there, but its for the greater good!  

The greater good...
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 148
BobbyCummingsTackle
July 11, 2023, 12:51pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Brentford is certainly the best example of a fine new stadium built on a very sub-optimal piece of land, and in many ways is a modern interpretation of old school grounds like Blundell Park.

I've said previously that you could not build a new ground of meaningful size on the site of BP without purchasing and razing at least some of the surrounding houses, which has significant cost-implications and complexities associated with it, not to mention is morrally questionable (see Liverpool's expansion of Anfield). However, I superimposed Brentford's community over the boundaries of Blundell Park (including parking spaces), at scale, and it's perhaps not as far out as I had thought. Brentford's ground holds 17,250, so could you realistically build something similar in style of between 12,000 and 14,000? Probably, with the requisite architectural skill and a concession or two over the odd quirky design element (the likes of which Brentford's stadium isn't completely without).

Interesting though this is, the only real hurdle it solves is that it removes the need to find a new site. The bigger challenges of planning permission and much more pertinently finance would still loom just as large. It would perhaps offer the option of doing things in more modular fashion which may ease (or at least spread) the financial burden, but that comes with it's own headaches and risks (how do you accommodate the lost capacity in the interim, what if it never gets finished?).

But it is at least an option. How long is the realistic shelf life of the Main Stand and the Osmond? In their current guise, you'd imagine less than a decade. Even with some significant material improvements to their fundamental structures, is it realistic that they are hosting fans in 2043? I very much doubt it.

There are some monumental financial hurdles to climb amidst an unpredictable economic landscape, but as someone who has tended to pour cold water on the chances of a new ground (in any form), the steady rate at which the club is now moving forward at least gives me a modicum of hope that it could happen at some point in the foreseeable future. Not in the next 5 years, but somewhere in the window of 5 to 15 years, I feel we might just see something come to fruition.

Chelsea have an underground car park for staff and players, it's literally under the pitch.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 148
LondonMariner43
July 11, 2023, 1:05pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,954
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from Heswall Mariner
Tony Butcher - as always - has come up with an excellent article on Cod Almighty.
Can't download onto here but well worth a read on his insight into the finances of 3 clubs in our sphere.

It is no doubt an unpopular opinion, but the conclusion of this article is totally flawed, saying that the solution is to keep finding people to inject more equity into the club and to run the club at a loss every year.  That means that if new investors can't be found, the club has to painfully cut its costs (ie reduce the squad and/ or the quality of the squad) and experience a rapid drop down the leagues.

There are only two reasons people will invest in a club like GTFC.  Either they love the club and/ or they think they will make a financial return.  They won't make a financial return if the club never becomes financially sustainable and there's only a limited number of high wealth people who support Town.

The current owners aren't mega wealthy but are willing to invest to turn the club around and help it become sustainable and I'm sure they will do that, hopefully taking us to a higher level along the way.  However, they don't fall into the 'more money than sense' category who will splurge for a short while, lose interest and leave the club on its knees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 148
Maringer
July 11, 2023, 1:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I think we do also need to consider the impact of future sea level rises - though that's true of the whole flipping town! How high will the sea defences need to be built in the new few decades?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 148
lew chaterleys lover
July 11, 2023, 1:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
I think we do also need to consider the impact of future sea level rises - though that's true of the whole flipping town! How high will the sea defences need to be built in the new few decades?

Our teacher told us confidently in 1960 that Grimsby would be under water by 1970. Scared me to death it did!
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 148
Mappers
July 11, 2023, 1:40pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from LondonMariner43

It is no doubt an unpopular opinion, but the conclusion of this article is totally flawed, saying that the solution is to keep finding people to inject more equity into the club and to run the club at a loss every year.  That means that if new investors can't be found, the club has to painfully cut its costs (ie reduce the squad and/ or the quality of the squad) and experience a rapid drop down the leagues.

There are only two reasons people will invest in a club like GTFC.  Either they love the club and/ or they think they will make a financial return.  They won't make a financial return if the club never becomes financially sustainable and there's only a limited number of high wealth people who support Town.

The current owners aren't mega wealthy but are willing to invest to turn the club around and help it become sustainable and I'm sure they will do that, hopefully taking us to a higher level along the way.  However, they don't fall into the 'more money than sense' category who will splurge for a short while, lose interest and leave the club on its knees.

Christ we just had 20 years of somebody trying  to run the club at at relatively break even model (albeit badly ).

Unfortunately in the modern game ,as it is now , to compete even at league 2 level needs a decent amount of investment ; otherwise you get left behind /relegated the majority of the time .

I think Petit and Stockwood hope better regulation will improve things but time will tell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 148
RichMariner
July 11, 2023, 2:15pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
I wrote an article on the subject of BP's capacity last season — basically saying 'seats sold' is the figure we should be looking at, not 'attendances'.

JS kept saying they weren't looking at expanding BP because we weren't selling out. We don't sell out, if you look at attendances. We're always way short of the 9,000 capacity BP has (according to DC).

But a fair portion of that 9,000 will never be sold because of the restricted views. I'd rather not go, than pay and see half the pitch.

And then there are those who buy seats i.e. season ticket holders, and don't show up. Generally speaking, across the board at every club, 8-10% of seats sold don't get sat in because of illness, weddings, stag/hen dos, birthdays, holidays, work, etc.

That's why our 'sell-outs' usually come in at somewhere around 7,600.

And the problem here is one that's already been pointed out on this thread by various people. After STH, the remaining tickets available are dotted about. A few hundred will have decent views, but they're not together — so someone like me, who lives away and can only make half a dozen home matches, can't get 3 or 4 tickets together (because when I do make it back, I want to make a proper day of it and go with friends, etc).

I think we absolutely must look at increasing BP's capacity today. We can't keen spurning energy and wasting money on a new ground.

I'm not an expert - I'll leave that to the likes of AP - but the initial outlay of filling in the corners, adding another 1k onto the capacity, creating more options where groups of fans can attend together, is going to generate more revenue on match days.

Surely that's got to be an ambition? We've got to start doing something, otherwise we're missing out on bigger attendances. There's no doubt in my mind that had our capacity been bigger last season, our average attendance would have been greater than it was.

Can never prove this, of course, but I'd have gone to more matches, as would many others by the sounds of it. So, in short, we are turning away fans. Not in a calculated way, but in an incidental way.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 62 - 148
ska face
July 11, 2023, 2:38pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Yeh I honestly can’t believe this isn’t something they had lined up & ready to go immediately at the point it looked like STs would be hitting similar numbers to last year.

Maybe they have? Who knows. Would be ridiculous if they’re still umming & aahing over it at this point though.
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 148
BobbyCummingsTackle
July 11, 2023, 2:47pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from ska face
Yeh I honestly can’t believe this isn’t something they had lined up & ready to go immediately at the point it looked like STs would be hitting similar numbers to last year.

Maybe they have? Who knows. Would be ridiculous if they’re still umming & aahing over it at this point though.

Yep, temp seats in the corners look like a winner to me but I have no idea of costs and the hoops you probably have to jump through. It can't be that much though or Fenty would never have done it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 148
diehardmariner
July 11, 2023, 3:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Maybe temp seats is the fabled marquee signing that's due to happen before the start of the season.

Stockwood to pull back a massive white sheet off the old green seats between two of the stands ahead of the Hull friendly, the shape giving away the content in the same way a badly wrapped bicycle does on Christmas morning.
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 148
BobbyCummingsTackle
July 11, 2023, 3:34pm
Champagne Drinker
Maybe temp seats is the fabled marquee signing that's due to happen before the start of the season.

Stockwood to pull back a massive white sheet off the old green seats between two of the stands ahead of the Hull friendly, the shape giving away the content in the same way a badly wrapped bicycle does on Christmas morning.

And 1500 people looking disappointed and saying 'but we wanted a striker...'

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 148
diehardmariner
July 11, 2023, 3:36pm
Vodka Drinker
"They've only scored 4 in 29 at FakeFest at the Meridian Showground."
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 148
Gaffer58
July 11, 2023, 3:54pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Will anyone in the lower leagues sell out their grounds when the new TV package for league clubs starts in a season or 2. Isn’t there a proposal that all games will be televised but will be pay to view. If this is correct apart from your absolute hard core of fans who must be at the game I can see the majority watching from home, especially on a cold wet Tuesday night in December.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 148
bedders78
July 11, 2023, 3:56pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 12
"They've only scored 4 in 29 at FakeFest at the Meridian Showground."

Boo, no league experience

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 148
Simon
July 11, 2023, 4:18pm
Snakebite drinker

Between Blundell Avenue & Neville Street there are 20 houses, at an inflated price of £100,000 per property thats a huge parcel of land for two million pounds. Could build an amazing stand on there to redevelop the main stand to give us everything we need capacity wise, in time develop the Osmond stand and eventually fill in the pontoon corners

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 148
BobbyCummingsTackle
July 11, 2023, 4:38pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Simon

Between Blundell Avenue & Neville Street there are 20 houses, at an inflated price of £100,000 per property thats a huge parcel of land for two million pounds. Could build an amazing stand on there to redevelop the main stand to give us everything we need capacity wise, in time develop the Osmond stand and eventually fill in the pontoon corners

All it needs is 20 people to give up their family homes. And planning permission to flatten them.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 148
diehardmariner
July 11, 2023, 4:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Gaffer58
Will anyone in the lower leagues sell out their grounds when the new TV package for league clubs starts in a season or 2. Isn’t there a proposal that all games will be televised but will be pay to view. If this is correct apart from your absolute hard core of fans who must be at the game I can see the majority watching from home, especially on a cold wet Tuesday night in December.

By which theory football attendances in this country would be decreasing as more and more football is available on TV.

However...

[img]https://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/nav/grattnengleague.gif[/img]

https://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/nav/attnengleague.htm

We're now at post-WWII levels of average attendances across the top four divisions of the English game, despite having more TV on offer than ever before.  In the fourth tier it's at levels last seen consistently in the late 1950's, again absolutely sod all on offer on the box then, both in terms of football in general.

Football is an anomaly.  Despite an ever growing and increasingly saturated entertainment market, with increased demands on our wallets and attention, attendances at football games continue to grow.  

I think once the new deal comes in it might have the potential to impact on the odd Tuesday night game in shite November conditions.  But the majority of games won't be affected at all, if anything it's gaining more exposure for the game (at all levels) which seems to be helping in increasing gate receipts.
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 148
DB
July 11, 2023, 4:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
Like many others, I have accepted that we will not move from BP unless a sugar daddy appears. So we are left with the redevelopment of BP. which will take money and time.

Given that 1878 have said the main development is the new training ground, I think we will have to wait longer than we think for the redevelopment of BP.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 148
lew chaterleys lover
July 11, 2023, 5:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from DB
Like many others, I have accepted that we will not move from BP unless a sugar daddy appears. So we are left with the redevelopment of BP. which will take money and time.

Given that 1878 have said the main development is the new training ground, I think we will have to wait longer than we think for the redevelopment of BP.

Probably we will but we will need extra seats in the meantime, and even if we know the direction of travel it would be exciting.

The only substantial changes I have seen in 60 years is the Findus stand being built and the change to all seater.

Well overdue a revamp!
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 148
Poojah
July 11, 2023, 5:06pm
Vodka Drinker

Probably we will but we will need extra seats in the meantime, and even if we know the direction of travel it would be exciting.

The only substantial changes I have seen in 60 years is the Findus stand being built and the change to all seater.

Well overdue a revamp!

Meanwhile in Nottingham…

https://twitter.com/Official_NCFC/status/1677384435111436292

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 148
Theimperialcoroner
July 11, 2023, 6:36pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,209
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from Poojah

Imagine the day when the announcements in the Pontoon don’t sound like they are being delivered underwater.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 148
toontown
July 11, 2023, 6:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from aldi_01
I

I don't think you need to be an armchair expert or have made up insider knowledge to know BP is a bit knackered, the main stand in particular- stockwood is on record as having said its been assessed and HAS to have 300k spent on it, there's no choice. That sounds like a safety certificate issue to me, or maybe EFL standards that have to be reached, which is effectively the same thing.

We can only go on for so long tarting up the main stand - at some point we have to either move or, much more likely, rebuild it.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 148
Rob_in_Grimsby
July 11, 2023, 6:55pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from toontown

I don't think you need to be an armchair expert or have made up insider knowledge to know BP is a bit knackered, the main stand in particular- stockwood is on record as having said its been assessed and HAS to have 300k spent on it, there's no choice. That sounds like a safety certificate issue to me, or maybe EFL standards that have to be reached, which is effectively the same thing.

We can only go on for so long tarting up the main stand - at some point we have to either move or, much more likely, rebuild it.

you say it HAS to be done but the club decided not to do it in the end and I presume they still got the certificate,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 148
lew chaterleys lover
July 11, 2023, 7:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby

you say it HAS to be done but the club decided not to do it in the end and I presume they still got the certificate,

Let's hope that means they have a longer term plan for it then in the pipeline.
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 148
lukeo
July 11, 2023, 7:27pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Quoted from Gaffer58

Let's be honest. It doesn't take a genius to be able to do that now *for free.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 148
Captain Sensible
July 11, 2023, 7:40pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: +178
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Poojah

I'm not an architect, but know that they are innovative people.  If I let my creative side out of its box, I can imagine the steelwork frame for a new stand being erected around the main stand before / during the season (not match days obviously), leaving the old stand intact and usable for the season.  At the end of the season there would be over three months available to demolish the old stand, and fit out the seating in the new stand.

I don't know if this approach would be feasible, but could be worth taking a look at?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 148
Simon
July 11, 2023, 8:25pm
Snakebite drinker

All it needs is 20 people to give up their family homes. And planning permission to flatten them.

Would snap your hand off market value plus 20%

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 148
Madeleymariner
July 11, 2023, 8:38pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,058
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from pizzzza

The greater good...

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 148
toontown
July 11, 2023, 8:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby

I stand corrected but I thought they said it had to be done just they were hoping they could delay it for a bit. I believe they mentioned the possible monies from the negotiations with premier league and the expectation some of this might be reserved for submissions for ground improvements and similar.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 148
Poojah
July 11, 2023, 8:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Captain Sensible

I'm not an architect, but know that they are innovative people.  If I let my creative side out of its box, I can imagine the steelwork frame for a new stand being erected around the main stand before / during the season (not match days obviously), leaving the old stand intact and usable for the season.  At the end of the season there would be over three months available to demolish the old stand, and fit out the seating in the new stand.

I don't know if this approach would be feasible, but could be worth taking a look at?

They’ve done pretty much just that with the two recently expanded stands at Anfield, but there they were able to build the frame of the expansion behind and eventually over the existing structure before completing the remainder of the works in the closed season (Liverpool are due to play their first few games away from home to allow them extra time to complete the work).

They were only able to do that having bought up the houses originally behind the stands, with some controversy about they tactics used in order to do so. Even then, and with Liverpool’s resources, it was a lengthy exercise.

Assuming we didn’t intend to do that, you could only build upon the existing footprint of the Pontoon, Main and Osmond Stands, meaning each stand would have to be demolished first (and I’m not sure whether you could demolish the Main Stand and Osmond at different intervals given they are essentially the same, very old structure).

You could do something as you describe with the Findus stand though, if you build atop the existing car park. That would enable you to build something akin to Brentford’s South Stand, only with a more pronounced / elongated drop in roofline and seating profile.

[img]https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article22628626.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/0_AGP_MDM_030920BRENTFORD_020JPG.jpg[/img]
[img]https://resources.evertonfc.com/photo-resources/2021/11/26/a7ea0234-bdc3-4044-8271-81634d2ca11e/GettyImages-1342448504.jpg?width=800&height=450[/img]

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 148
WOZOFGRIMSBY
July 11, 2023, 9:13pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,840
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from Madeleymariner

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few

Unfortunately, the voices of the few will crank up when they discover Guatemalan purple striped glow in the dark albino furred three headed sea woodlice in their back garden!

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 148
Captain Sensible
July 11, 2023, 9:41pm
Shandy Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

They’ve done pretty much just that with the two recently expanded stands at Anfield, but there they were able to build the frame of the expansion behind and eventually over the existing structure before completing the remainder of the works in the closed season (Liverpool are due to play their first few games away from home to allow them extra time to complete the work).

They were only able to do that having bought up the houses originally behind the stands, with some controversy about they tactics used in order to do so. Even then, and with Liverpool’s resources, it was a lengthy exercise.

Assuming we didn’t intend to do that, you could only build upon the existing footprint of the Pontoon, Main and Osmond Stands, meaning each stand would have to be demolished first (and I’m not sure whether you could demolish the Main Stand and Osmond at different intervals given they are essentially the same, very old structure).

You could do something as you describe with the Findus stand though, if you build atop the existing car park. That would enable you to build something akin to Brentford’s South Stand, only with a more pronounced / elongated drop in roofline and seating profile.

[img]https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article22628626.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/0_AGP_MDM_030920BRENTFORD_020JPG.jpg[/img]
[img]https://resources.evertonfc.com/photo-resources/2021/11/26/a7ea0234-bdc3-4044-8271-81634d2ca11e/GettyImages-1342448504.jpg?width=800&height=450[/img]

That's interesting thank you.  I didn't know about Liverpool.  I thought I was probably spouting nonsense!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 148
Poojah
July 11, 2023, 10:06pm
Vodka Drinker

That's interesting thank you.  I didn't know about Liverpool.  I thought I was probably spouting nonsense!  

Not at all mate, sound thinking. Here’s a photo of the Anfield Road end before, during and (almost) after construction, for reference:

[img]https://i2-prod.liverpoolecho.co.uk/incoming/article12429271.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/Liverpool-FC-Anfield-stadium-in-2010.jpg[/img]
[img]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHEyPTWI7TzDyXRRckZv-9t1b0SMWYWPG5OA&usqp=CAU[/img]
[img]https://cdn-vox--cdn-com.cdn.ampproject.org/i/s/cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/wVftzJ4ByIAOgVdr44f1lNjlPqM=/0x0:1440x960/1400x933/filters:focal(605x365:835x595):no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/71168852/AFR_Truss_Lift_7.0.jpg[/img]
[img]https://backend.liverpoolfc.com/sites/default/files/styles/xl/public/acquiadam/2023-03/anfield-road-update-09032023-4.jpg?itok=WjGUJgWJ[/img]
[img]https://i2-prod.liverpoolecho.co.uk/incoming/article27141854.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/0_LFC.jpg[/img]

As is probably obvious, the houses toward the front and right of the original image were bought up and razed to the ground to facilitate the expansion.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 148
Maringer
July 11, 2023, 10:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Erm, to state the obvious, building a stand over the top of an existing one is likely to be considerably more expensive than just razing the old structure to the ground and then starting from scratch.

Brentford and Liverpool could afford it. We almost certainly can't.

It's a nice thought, but I can't see that ever being a goer.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 148
Poojah
July 11, 2023, 10:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
Erm, to state the obvious, building a stand over the top of an existing one is likely to be considerably more expensive than just razing the old structure to the ground and then starting from scratch.

Brentford built a new ground entirely, fwiw. The more common and less expensive way to do it is to start building behind the existing structure (see Cardiff City photo below). It buys you a bit of time, but obviously much less so when you’re not retaining any of the original stand (which wasn’t the case in the Cardiff example).

[img]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxXnb-YL-iP2IK8wz42hdDBD7_zUm6FI8a2w&usqp=CAU[/img]

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 148
lew chaterleys lover
July 11, 2023, 10:52pm
Vodka Drinker
The only cost effective way to mitigate against loss of capacity during a rebuild would be to cram in as many temporary seats as possible surely?

Private Message
Reply: 91 - 148
Maringer
July 11, 2023, 11:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Brentford built a new ground entirely, fwiw. The more common and less expensive way to do it is to start building behind the existing structure (see Cardiff City photo below). It buys you a bit of time, but obviously much less so when you’re not retaining any of the original stand (which wasn’t the case in the Cardiff example).

[img]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxXnb-YL-iP2IK8wz42hdDBD7_zUm6FI8a2w&usqp=CAU[/img]

Yeah, I know Brentford was a new stand. Just a poorly-worded post from me. I seem to recall reading that the land on which their new stadium was built was obtained through a compulsory purchase order? Whatever the rights or wrongs of turfing people out of their homes, good luck getting one of those from N.E. Lincs council!

Not far off 20 years ago I actually visited Ninian Park and the Leckwith Athletic Stadium which was later redeveloped to include their new ground and one thing that area wasn't lacking was a bit of spare room around it. Not something which could be said of Blundell Park!

One potential way in which capacity at BP could be increased would be if safe standing were allowed in one or more of the stands. Convert the Ponny to safe standing and you could increase the capacity by, what, 50-odd percent? I'm not sure if a major rebuild would be required to arrange this or not, but I'd guess it is potentially something which could be developed over the course of the summer months. And, of course, there is the issue of needing to turf ticket holders out of their seats, if they don't want to stand at games. I personally prefer to sit we've had our seats in the centre of the Upper Findus for over 30 years now. If they were redeveloping the stand, I'd be happy enough to stand elsewhere for as long as necessary, but I think it would probably be enough to stop my Dad attending games.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 148
Southwark Mariner
July 12, 2023, 12:00am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,550
Gold Stars: 83
You can understand why Jason Stockwood is all for getting rid of the 3pm tv blackout
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 148
Captain Sensible
July 12, 2023, 12:43am
Shandy Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

Sorry, but why is that obvious?  Can you give an explanation as to why it would be 'considerably more expensive'?  There may be issues to overcome, such as the housing as outlined by Poojah. But those houses are a problem that may well need solving anyway if BP is to be upgraded, and may themselves be a showstopper.

If BP's capacity is to be improved, fan experience to be brought into the 21st century and revenues improved, then some lateral thinking will probably be required.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 148
Mappers
July 12, 2023, 5:31am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

Yeah, I know Brentford was a new stand. Just a poorly-worded post from me. I seem to recall reading that the land on which their new stadium was built was obtained through a compulsory purchase order? Whatever the rights or wrongs of turfing people out of their homes, good luck getting one of those from N.E. Lincs council!

Not far off 20 years ago I actually visited Ninian Park and the Leckwith Athletic Stadium which was later redeveloped to include their new ground and one thing that area wasn't lacking was a bit of spare room around it. Not something which could be said of Blundell Park!

One potential way in which capacity at BP could be increased would be if safe standing were allowed in one or more of the stands. Convert the Ponny to safe standing and you could increase the capacity by, what, 50-odd percent? I'm not sure if a major rebuild would be required to arrange this or not, but I'd guess it is potentially something which could be developed over the course of the summer months. And, of course, there is the issue of needing to turf ticket holders out of their seats, if they don't want to stand at games. I personally prefer to sit we've had our seats in the centre of the Upper Findus for over 30 years now. If they were redeveloping the stand, I'd be happy enough to stand elsewhere for as long as necessary, but I think it would probably be enough to stop my Dad attending games.

Safe standing does not increase capacity , as there now has to be a certain distance between the allocated standing spaces seperated by railings which are roughly the same as a seat.

So the only way safe standing increases capacity is if it's put somewhere there are not already seats .

The only way you have less restriction on standing now is if standing was already there pre the introduction of all seater and you were below The Championship when the Taylor report rules were brought in to implement it I think .

That Is something not touched on actually - our relative success in the 90's and having to convert to all seater  , in terms of BP's capacity alone is actually hindering us now. Fairly unrestricted terracing lower down is still used (Carlisle as an example and a similiar size to the old BP , and got 16k in versus Bradford in the play-offs) and Scunny,Yeovil,Rotherham and Colchester have all been permitted to use it in The Championship .

The capacity of our old ground basically got cut in half for doing well at the wrong time and one terribly tragic incident.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 148
grimps
July 12, 2023, 7:12am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,129
Gold Stars: 46
Knocking the main stand down and replacing it with a full length and higher capacity.
I’m pretty sure they could easy get a 5-6000 seating stand.

It’s not like the neighbours in the houses backing on to it will lose any view from their back yard.

People seem to think of the Main stand is knocked down it needs to be replaced with something of the same design which is balderdash .

We need a new ground but if we’re going to keep kicking the can down the road for another 20 years then something needs to happen to Blundell park very soon or we’re going to get left behind even in League Two
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 148
aldi_01
July 12, 2023, 7:27am

Barley Wine Drinker
Modern technology and architecture could definitely create something full length of the pitch where the main stand is, probably on a similar footprint but again, it all comes down to cost.

I’d rather a club and have a conversation about a few folk not being able to get a ticket or eat some prawn sarnies than have a shiny ground and intercourse all team.

I am also aware that this is an extreme case but hey ho.

Out of interest, how many of the homes, behind the main stand are occupied, owned by the people residing in them and what is their value.

I understand compulsory purchase has moral implications but I’ve seen ‘for sale’ boards up down there in the past. It has to be a thought, and whilst I know it’s easy and en vogue to criticise NELC but I suspect, should the plans and vision be clear enough, they’d probably go for it.

We were never getting the vote from NELC with Fenty at the helm, they saw him most days and clearly recognised he was unable to ever deliver such a project…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 148
Maringer
July 12, 2023, 7:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

Safe standing does not increase capacity , as there now has to be a certain distance between the allocated standing spaces seperated by railings which are roughly the same as a seat.

I did a quick Google search before I posted about safe standing and that indicated it could increase capacity up to 40-odd percent. I suppose that may just be a figure relating to another country as I know some European countries allow it. Our regulations may be different, I suppose.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 148
Maringer
July 12, 2023, 7:53am
Barley Wine Drinker

Sorry, but why is that obvious?  Can you give an explanation as to why it would be 'considerably more expensive'?

Building and supporting a more complicated structure around and over an older structure which has to be kept mostly intact, functional and with the necessary safety certificates isn't going to be easier than just starting from scratch. I'd imagine that something as relatively simple as digging out the footings for a larger new stand could interfere with the older structure. Of course, the Main Stand famously doesn't have any footings - it was just plonked down at BP! No health and safety or building control for Victorian engineers...
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 148
Mappers
July 12, 2023, 7:57am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

I did a quick Google search before I posted about safe standing and that indicated it could increase capacity up to 40-odd percent. I suppose that may just be a figure relating to another country as I know some European countries allow it. Our regulations may be different, I suppose.

Yeah , unfortunately it's the UK legislation I believe and the safe standing spot can't be any smaller than  where a seat would be , the equivalent of a seat number is added for that standing spot . Pretty sure this is the case .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 148
ska face
July 12, 2023, 8:46am

Vodka Drinker
I don’t think we need Rem Koolhaas on the job, just get a temporary stand (with a roof) and sling it up in the corner.
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 148
thornemariner
July 12, 2023, 9:02am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +655
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from Maringer

Brentford's ground didn't have housing on it. It was originally railway land before being brought by a developer who didn't go forward with their plans, largely due to the fallout of the 2008 banking crash.

There are high-rise developments around it now and it shows what can be done with a relatively small piece of land with plenty of imagination.

Just as an aside, the capacity was originally going to be larger but the owner settled on 17500 which appears to have been the right call. Tickets for the 'bigger fixtures' generally make sale to members without a strong buying history and I wonder what capacity we will actually need at Grimsby.

I think Town do need a new ground (the Main Stand won't get a certificate forever) but possibly not the size we envisage.
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 148
Madeleymariner
July 12, 2023, 9:17am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,058
Gold Stars: 50
Re houses at back of main. Could the club buy any that go up for sale and then rent them out till we are ready to expand, then less people to have to pay over the house value/get compulsory when we are ready to go.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 148
lew chaterleys lover
July 12, 2023, 9:35am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from thornemariner

Brentford's ground didn't have housing on it. It was originally railway land before being brought by a developer who didn't go forward with their plans, largely due to the fallout of the 2008 banking crash.

There are high-rise developments around it now and it shows what can be done with a relatively small piece of land with plenty of imagination.

Just as an aside, the capacity was originally going to be larger but the owner settled on 17500 which appears to have been the right call. Tickets for the 'bigger fixtures' generally make sale to members without a strong buying history and I wonder what capacity we will actually need at Grimsby.

I think Town do need a new ground (the Main Stand won't get a certificate forever) but possibly not the size we envisage.

I think we need more capacity than at first glance.

We are in the bottom tier of league football and could easily get full houses currently if things go well. The demand in league 1 would be enormous.

If we could get more away fans in that would bring in a lot of revenue particularly if we could get promotion.

For the really big games you need the flexibility a decent capacity gives you. As for a figure perhaps 12k minimum but 14k ideally?
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 148
diehardmariner
July 12, 2023, 9:45am
Vodka Drinker
I can't for the life of me imagine 1878 go down the compulsory purchase order.  It's a bad look all round.  

I think, happy to be corrected, that Liverpool did the buying of the house option bit by bit until the got to the point of needing to use compulsory purchase orders.  The problem with this is that you're always going to get someone, rightly or wrongly, who refuses and stays put.  

I used to work with someone who lived on the Yarborough Estate, Central Parade to be specific.  They refused and refused to budge as the new Freshney Green was put up around them, talking years and years.  Their attitude was they liked their house, didn't want to move so why should they?  It's difficult to argue with that, it's not a given that we should be able to force people out their homes.

As a side note, some genuinely good ideas on this thread alone.  Mixing from the simplistic to the quite leftfield.  
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 148
Oly1987
July 12, 2023, 9:47am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Approval: +1,227
regarding the main stand, im sure I remember seeing somewhere that any changes to the main stand would be subject to a height restriction on the building due to the houses behind it. Not sure if that's true but if that is the case would mean we would have to be a little more creative to get the maximum amount out of a limited space.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 148
Grantham_Mariner
July 12, 2023, 10:12am

Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,187
Gold Stars: 51
Just a guess but I think that if you move PA & Police box to Fan Zone corner and build a stand from Osmond corner right round to the Pontoon stand, the same height it would increase capacity by about a thousand or even more. The extra space round the corners would be more than you might think, and better design of Press Box etc would create even more seats. You could even have more rows if the roof was not apex. No architect/building engineer but sound feasible to me.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 148
diehardmariner
July 12, 2023, 10:23am
Vodka Drinker
I either heard someone say it last year or read it on here at some point, but I'm sure there was something about plans to move the Press and Police Box into the old corner between the Main and the Osmond.  (Not the area with the seats, the old wooden terrace cage, last time I remember that getting used was Exeter's hardy few getting lobbed in there in 1991).  

That, in theory, opens up that whole corner for expansion and would also make some of those restricted seats in the top corner (Pontoon end) of the Main Stand more sellable owing to the fact you can actually see more than 60% of the pitch.
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 148
lew chaterleys lover
July 12, 2023, 10:31am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
Just a guess but I think that if you move PA & Police box to Fan Zone corner and build a stand from Osmond corner right round to the Pontoon stand, the same height it would increase capacity by about a thousand or even more. The extra space round the corners would be more than you might think, and better design of Press Box etc would create even more seats. You could even have more rows if the roof was not apex. No architect/building engineer but sound feasible to me.

I'm sure you are right, and also doesn't the space behind the Main go a fair way back. I would love to hear what an architect could do with the footprint of BP on that side. It's just the bloody cost of it all but there must be ways round it.
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 148
Mappers
July 12, 2023, 10:36am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

I would think that is probably our most realistic option financially, unless we get some serious investment to either relocate or significantly improve Blundell Park .

Viability of anything in the corners ,how it stands atm must be questionable and maybe that's why they have not pursued adding capacity there .

Does the fanzone effect viability in that corner ?
Does the various items stowed in the section between The Pontoon & Main stand effect it in that one ?
And is the the food outlet , extreme amount of footfall both throughout the game and after ; not to mention location of the toilets an issue in the remaining corner  as it is now ?

I don't know the answers , but you would need to look at the impact V reward before starting any work there .

If we did do what you suggest , although increase in capacity would be limited , The Main could be refurbished and reconfigured for better disabled facilities , Press box and corporate you would have thought .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 148
BobbyCummingsTackle
July 12, 2023, 11:21am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Simon

Would snap your hand off market value plus 20%

You might but will Mrs Miggins who's lived there for 45 years, raised all her children there and it's where her Arthur died? I suspect not.

There are hundreds of stories of people refusing to accept the developer's cash and as a result roads and buildings had to be built round them. I suspect that's what happened on the M62 where it separates and there's a farm in the middle of the carriageways. People have an extraordinary connection to their homes.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 148
BobbyCummingsTackle
July 12, 2023, 11:42am
Champagne Drinker

The idea with the 17500 capacity was that the club would pretty much fill the ground for most games and that would generate a great atmosphere. Which is does.

They talked about the possibility of increasing capacity if and when they qualified for Europe and were confident of their place in the Prem. In their wildest dreams they didn't expect that to be 2022/3 and they're now faced with something of a dilemma, but a nice one to have.  

If you're not a season ticket holder at The Bees you have to be on the website the moment the clock ticks round to them being available to buy and you have to be quick. And that was before they were in Europe.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 148
Limerick Mariner
July 12, 2023, 11:42am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

I would think that is probably our most realistic option financially, unless we get some serious investment to either relocate or significantly improve Blundell Park .

Viability of anything in the corners ,how it stands atm must be questionable and maybe that's why they have not pursued adding capacity there .

Does the fanzone effect viability in that corner ?
Does the various items stowed in the section between The Pontoon & Main stand effect it in that one ?
And is the the food outlet , extreme amount of footfall both throughout the game and after ; not to mention location of the toilets an issue in the remaining corner  as it is now ?

I don't know the answers , but you would need to look at the impact V reward before starting any work there .

If we did do what you suggest , although increase in capacity would be limited , The Main could be refurbished and reconfigured for better disabled facilities , Press box and corporate you would have thought .

If you look at the Main Stand at present - there is a lot of wasted space at the front. The first two terrace steps when it was a standing paddock were very wide. In a new stand the first row of seats could be much nearer the pitch and that space transferred to the understand concourse giving more space for toilets and food and beverage. With a new stand I’d put a safe standing area in the Harrington corner which could eventually link to safe standing in a new Pontoon stand in future. I think we’d looking at about 4k capacity taking us to about 10k.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 148
thornemariner
July 12, 2023, 12:43pm
Table Wine Drinker

The idea with the 17500 capacity was that the club would pretty much fill the ground for most games and that would generate a great atmosphere. Which is does.

They talked about the possibility of increasing capacity if and when they qualified for Europe and were confident of their place in the Prem. In their wildest dreams they didn't expect that to be 2022/3 and they're now faced with something of a dilemma, but a nice one to have.  

If you're not a season ticket holder at The Bees you have to be on the website the moment the clock ticks round to them being available to buy and you have to be quick. And that was before they were in Europe.

The Bees aren't in Europe. They missed out by two points and it makes Aston Villa's 87th minute equaliser at Brentford more galling given the Bees had dominated the game!  

The club do offer windows for those with a certain number of TAPs points to buy home games to manage demand. The numbers of ST holders is capped with just a few available every season.  I think the capacity is probably right. Brentford's number of ST holders for the last season at Griffin Park wasn't spectacularly higher than Town's are now.

Anyway, I have a ST there as well as Grimsby but if I didn't I would have enough TAPs to get a ticket for any home game. I didn't have a ST for the last season at GP but had a ticket for the last scheduled game there because of my previous purchasing history. Sadly, COVID meant it took place behind closed doors.
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 148
BobbyCummingsTackle
July 12, 2023, 1:04pm
Champagne Drinker

The Bees aren't in Europe. They missed out by two points and it makes Aston Villa's 87th minute equaliser at Brentford more galling given the Bees had dominated the game!  

The club do offer windows for those with a certain number of TAPs points to buy home games to manage demand. The numbers of ST holders is capped with just a few available every season.  I think the capacity is probably right. Brentford's number of ST holders for the last season at Griffin Park wasn't spectacularly higher than Town's are now.

Anyway, I have a ST there as well as Grimsby but if I didn't I would have enough TAPs to get a ticket for any home game. I didn't have a ST for the last season at GP but had a ticket for the last scheduled game there because of my previous purchasing history. Sadly, COVID meant it took place behind closed doors.

Yep, you're right. My mistake.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 148
mimma
July 12, 2023, 1:20pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 78
Very much doubt we would get planning permission for any main stand rebuild or extension. The local residents would fight it tooth and nail and legal wrangling would take years, just like the Great Coates debacle.

The M62 that runs around that farm is because of a geological fault, and not because the farmer refused to sell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 148
lew chaterleys lover
July 12, 2023, 1:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from mimma
Very much doubt we would get planning permission for any main stand rebuild or extension. The local residents would fight it tooth and nail and legal wrangling would take years, just like the Great Coates debacle.

The M62 that runs around that farm is because of a geological fault, and not because the farmer refused to sell.

Surely the opposite is true,  in the sense that there is a current structure in place? Why would the residents object to a smart looking revamped stand compared to what is there now?

It would be tastefully done, and all the residents moved next to a football ground so surely would have expected modifications to be made over time?
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 148
Les Brechin
July 12, 2023, 1:56pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,713
Gold Stars: 174

You might but will Mrs Miggins who's lived there for 45 years, raised all her children there and it's where her Arthur died? I suspect not.

There are hundreds of stories of people refusing to accept the developer's cash and as a result roads and buildings had to be built round them. I suspect that's what happened on the M62 where it separates and there's a farm in the middle of the carriageways. People have an extraordinary connection to their homes.

Not the case actually. It's because the ground the farm is on was unsuitable for a road to be built.

https://www.manchestereveningn.....62-motorway-16416520

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 148
BobbyCummingsTackle
July 12, 2023, 3:10pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin

Not the case actually. It's because the ground the farm is on was unsuitable for a road to be built.

https://www.manchestereveningn.....62-motorway-16416520

I'm on fire this afternoon.....

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 148
Limerick Mariner
July 12, 2023, 3:20pm
Whiskey Drinker

Surely the opposite is true,  in the sense that there is a current structure in place? Why would the residents object to a smart looking revamped stand compared to what is there now?

It would be tastefully done, and all the residents moved next to a football ground so surely would have expected modifications to be made over time?

I can’t see how an objection could be sustained against an established planning use for over 120 years providing the stand was of similar scale in height. There is also the history of much higher capacity. The main issue would be traffic and parking - do more people now come to games by car than when we first converted to all seater? We might need to contribute to an enhanced bus service on match days. I can’t envisage how the redevelopment would be completely blocked.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 148
ginnywings
July 12, 2023, 3:29pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,142
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from mimma

Doesn't work like that. Residents can raise objections, but they cannot put a stop to a planning application if all the requirements are met and the plans are passed.

The thing in it's favour is a pre existing structure, and not only that, it's well past it's sell by date and desperately needs an upgrade to make it safe and usable for the foreseeable.

The club have a pretty solid case for the planning committee.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 148
Simon
July 12, 2023, 5:38pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from mimma

If the stand is built on the existing footprint and is no higher than the current stand planning won't bean issue, only problem with that the maximum angle/rise of the stand is set at 40 degrees so your not going to gain any extra rows of seats, in fact with new health and safety measures in place surrounding the time it takes to empty a stand you could end up with extra stairs/exits so could lose capacity, only way to gain is to go all the way to the pontoon and fill in the corner

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 148
lew chaterleys lover
July 12, 2023, 6:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Simon

If the stand is built on the existing footprint and is no higher than the current stand planning won't bean issue, only problem with that the maximum angle/rise of the stand is set at 40 degrees so your not going to gain any extra rows of seats, in fact with new health and safety measures in place surrounding the time it takes to empty a stand you could end up with extra stairs/exits so could lose capacity, only way to gain is to go all the way to the pontoon and fill in the corner

Your solution of going all the way round to the Pontoon seems a logical step, but why is it not possible to raise the height? Wouldn't a planning application be looked at on it's merits? Imagine if the middle part of a stand had a higher profile, but tapered down to the sides, and a whole plethora of improvements were being made?

If you are right about the height restrictions it seems a bit harsh.
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 148
Simon
July 12, 2023, 7:25pm
Snakebite drinker

Your solution of going all the way round to the Pontoon seems a logical step, but why is it not possible to raise the height? Wouldn't a planning application be looked at on it's merits? Imagine if the middle part of a stand had a higher profile, but tapered down to the sides, and a whole plethora of improvements were being made?

If you are right about the height restrictions it seems a bit harsh.

You possibly could get planning to increase the height, would be objected because of the impact on the surrounding area but then you go to appeal and if you put a decent case forward planning could be granted. Only issue with building on the existing footprint you cant have the seating rising at more than 40 degrees for safety reasons so your not going to gain anything unless you can push the rear of the stand backwards

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 148
lew chaterleys lover
July 12, 2023, 7:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Simon

You possibly could get planning to increase the height, would be objected because of the impact on the surrounding area but then you go to appeal and if you put a decent case forward planning could be granted. Only issue with building on the existing footprint you cant have the seating rising at more than 40 degrees for safety reasons so your not going to gain anything unless you can push the rear of the stand backwards

Fair enough but I would be gobsmacked if a decent architect couldn't solve any problems. From memory there is extra room behind the stand so maybe there is a bit of wriggle room.

It's the cost more than a decent design that worries me.
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 148
WOZOFGRIMSBY
July 12, 2023, 8:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Simon

But couldn’t the way that the seating is arranged be improved upon? The old directors box and press box would surely free up some space , with the latter being housed elsewhere. If the main and Osmond were to be done together , then altering the pitch of the roof could also mean a lot less ‘restricted view’ seats.

Though, I do love this article that will surely strike a chord with a few on here:

https://www.latetacklemagazine.com/features/1064/you-cant-beat-grimsbys-main-stand/

Rose is on fire

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 148
ska face
July 12, 2023, 9:41pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Simon

People can, and will, object to anything & everything on any grounds they can imagine. In reality, it doesn’t count for a great deal.

Anyway, all a moot point if the club aren’t fussed about the idea. Wonder how much time/effort/money is being committed to the training ground.
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 148
Simon
July 13, 2023, 7:32am
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from ska face

People can, and will, object to anything & everything on any grounds they can imagine. In reality, it doesn’t count for a great deal.

Anyway, all a moot point if the club aren’t fussed about the idea. Wonder how much time/effort/money is being committed to the training ground.

The training ground has been rumbling on for a very long time now with little to no updates from the club, unlike to previous regime i do believe that these guys will deliver but rather than just issue pie in the sky artist impressions the day we find out about it will be the day a formal planning application goes in, however there is clearly something holding back the application and what that is i have no idea

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 148
DB
July 13, 2023, 8:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from Simon

The training ground has been rumbling on for a very long time now with little to no updates from the club, unlike to previous regime i do believe that these guys will deliver but rather than just issue pie in the sky artist impressions the day we find out about it will be the day a formal planning application goes in, however there is clearly something holding back the application and what that is i have no idea

We had a thread on this a few months. The consensus of opinion was that as the site for the new training ground had been found, within Grimsby as per 1878, there was a problem with the legality of the use of the land. There were no hard facts to back this up, as 1878 have been tight-mouthed, but was the only given option left on the thread.

Of course, this was a few months ago, and a couple of years since it was mooted. If anybody knows differently now please let us know.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 148
diehardmariner
July 13, 2023, 9:35am
Vodka Drinker

Fair enough but I would be gobsmacked if a decent architect couldn't solve any problems. From memory there is extra room behind the stand so maybe there is a bit of wriggle room.

It's the cost more than a decent design that worries me.

As a Main Stander, there's not a lot of room behind the stand at all.  It's a fairly narrow pathway between the back of the stand and then the gardens from Harrington Street houses, at the widest points it's probably the same as the gap at the back of the Pontoon. No doubt there will be scope to use that space better and indeed the space under the stands (at the minute the toilets are separate from the stand when they could be built within the structure.  But it's limited scope.  

To my untrained eye, it's the corners where we've got the greatest scope to develop.  

Private Message
Reply: 130 - 148
ginnywings
July 13, 2023, 10:49am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,142
Gold Stars: 548
The walkway behind the Pontoon is underneath the seating, whereas in the Main stand it isn't, which gives scope for more rows of seating to be added up to the perimeter of the ground.

Turnstiles, toilets and food outlets could be incorporated into the space beneath, more or less where they are currently, but beneath the seating, same as the Pontoon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 148
Theimperialcoroner
July 13, 2023, 11:12am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,209
Gold Stars: 102
I’ve wondered for a while why there are gaps on row Q of the Pontoon. Being a bit sad I counted these up and it amounts to 81 spaces where seats could be. Over a season that’s close to £40k lost I know it’s not loads extra but surely worth filling them if we can.
I’m sure there’ll be some cod-safety reason but it’s certainly no worse that the back of other clubs’ stands.
Are there other parts of the ground similarly under used? The Main/Osmond cage seems like one area of dead space but as I’ve not been down there some Mick Lyons era, not sure now.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 148
diehardmariner
July 13, 2023, 11:43am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
The walkway behind the Pontoon is underneath the seating, whereas in the Main stand it isn't, which gives scope for more rows of seating to be added up to the perimeter of the ground.

Turnstiles, toilets and food outlets could be incorporated into the space beneath, more or less where they are currently, but beneath the seating, same as the Pontoon.

Genuinely didn't realise the walkway behind the Pontoon was beneath seating.  That's the way I leave the ground every game and I've always just presumed it was a definitive end of the structure.  

Every day is a school day, eh?
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 148
WOZOFGRIMSBY
July 13, 2023, 11:56am

Barley Wine Drinker
Would some form of tiered stand be a viable project to increase capacity. I realise that it has to stay on the same footing that it currently stands but unsure if this would be possible to get extra seating. Am thinking something not too far away from these:

Attachment: img_4569_5569.jpeg
Size: 43.70 KB

Rose is on fire

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 148
lew chaterleys lover
July 13, 2023, 12:00pm
Vodka Drinker
In hypothetical terms I am talking about a totally new structure,  designed and constructed cleverly to utilise every square inch of the available footprint on the Main stand side. What is there now is completely irrelevant. For example an architect might opt to use that space entirely for seating/corporate facilities and move the changing rooms and anything else that is on that side to another part of the ground, subject to a blueprint for a stadium revamp.

It's a more complicated version of those TV shows where they turn a cluttered terrace house into a spacious and glorious place to live.

As I have said before it is the cost which is more of a worry as architects used to dealing with this sort of work can perform miracles.
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 148
BobbyCummingsTackle
July 13, 2023, 1:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Would some form of tiered stand be a viable project to increase capacity. I realise that it has to stay on the same footing that it currently stands but unsure if this would be possible to get extra seating. Am thinking something not too far away from these:

While these would be fantastic, the residents of Harrington St may feel differently about having that to look at out of their back windows.

And before anyone says that their view isn't herds of wildebeest across the majestic plains of The Serengeti, they will all have bought their houses knowing what the view was because it's been there 100+ years. They may object to the change of view, potential change of daylight into their houses and gardens etc

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 148
thornemariner
July 13, 2023, 8:38pm
Table Wine Drinker
[quote=140636]

While these would be fantastic, the residents of Harrington St may feel differently about having that to look at out of their back windows.

And before anyone says that their view isn't herds of wildebeest across the majestic plains of The Serengeti, they will all have bought their houses knowing what the view was because it's been there 100+ years. They may object to the change of view, potential change of daylight into their houses and gardens etc

Yes, south-facing back gardens so a higher stand could shade them. I'd be upset in that situation. When I bought my house over here I think the vendors were quite surprised when my first question was how much sun the garden caught!
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 148
grimps
July 13, 2023, 10:45pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,129
Gold Stars: 46
[quote=140636]

Yes, south-facing back gardens so a higher stand could shade them. I'd be upset in that situation. When I bought my house over here I think the vendors were quite surprised when my first question was how much sun the garden caught!

Well I’m sure GTFC wouldn’t mind them laying their towels on the pitch the 6 times a year we get some sun 🌞
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 148
Limerick Mariner
July 14, 2023, 7:19am
Whiskey Drinker
With the way the climate is going they may be delighted if a new double decker Main Stand shaded their gardens…
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 148
lew chaterleys lover
July 14, 2023, 4:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Regarding the issue of nearby residents, how anybody could object a new modern tastefully designed and constructed stand when it replaces a hotchpotch collection of rusty iron and rotting timber topped with barbed wire is beyond me.

Assuming we ever get that far I am sure it will be within all the planning laws regarding height etc.and if it is part of a wider stadium re-build it would enhance the area where they live.
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 148
BobbyCummingsTackle
July 14, 2023, 4:32pm
Champagne Drinker
Regarding the issue of nearby residents, how anybody could object a new modern tastefully designed and constructed stand when it replaces a hotchpotch collection of rusty iron and rotting timber topped with barbed wire is beyond me.

Assuming we ever get that far I am sure it will be within all the planning laws regarding height etc.and if it is part of a wider stadium re-build it would enhance the area where they live.

As mentioned above, people could object based on having their view obstructed (or even changed) or their garden/house being in shade. They could object to the building work. Or the greater footfall on match days.

When one club built a new stand (it might have been Liverpool) it messed up the entire street's TV reception and the club had to pay for all of them to subscribe to Sky to get their TV back.

People will complain about bloody anything, especially when it involves their homes and change.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 148
lew chaterleys lover
July 14, 2023, 5:28pm
Vodka Drinker

As mentioned above, people could object based on having their view obstructed (or even changed) or their garden/house being in shade. They could object to the building work. Or the greater footfall on match days.

When one club built a new stand (it might have been Liverpool) it messed up the entire street's TV reception and the club had to pay for all of them to subscribe to Sky to get their TV back.

People will complain about bloody anything, especially when it involves their homes and change.

What you say is true, but all objections can be mitigated against with a sympathetic planning application, a lot of goodwill from the owners and a realistic approach from residents.

Assuming all planning criteria is met, and any objections addressed as reasonably as possible even our council should be able to see the benefit for all...

I wonder how many years hence this will still be a Fishy thread?

Private Message
Reply: 142 - 148
WOZOFGRIMSBY
July 17, 2023, 6:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker

Probably a firestick and a dodgy iptv download on it

Rose is on fire

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 148
mimma
July 17, 2023, 7:16pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 78
I believe that when the Findus (or whatever it's called today) was built, it messed up TV reception and the club had to install signal boosters to solve the problem.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 148
diehardmariner
July 18, 2023, 10:05am
Vodka Drinker

I would imagine the major objection for the long-term would the be the impact on daylight, or loss of it, as a result of any new stand.  I would also guess that navigating that would be a piece of urine for a remotely skilled architect.  
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 148
Balthazar Bullitt
July 18, 2023, 12:10pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +2,260
Gold Stars: 16

I would imagine the major objection for the long-term would the be the impact on daylight, or loss of it, as a result of any new stand.  I would also guess that navigating that would be a piece of urine for a remotely skilled architect.  

I don't think it would, unless large parts of it were made of glass. Could create an extra revenue stream by growing tomatoes under it though
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 148
Heswall Mariner
July 18, 2023, 12:14pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +590
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from mimma
I believe that when the Findus (or whatever it's called today) was built, it messed up TV reception and the club had to install signal boosters to solve the problem.

I guess that because our name was/is rarely mentioned on national TV I  remember  that this was discussed on 'Saint & Greavsie' who thought it was a wonderful gesture by the club. - eh?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 148
diehardmariner
July 18, 2023, 1:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Balthazar Bullitt

I don't think it would, unless large parts of it were made of glass. Could create an extra revenue stream by growing tomatoes under it though

It wouldn't need to be made of glass.  It would just need to be no higher than what the current height is.  The roof is quite high in the Main Stand when you consider the rows of seats in it, surely a complete rebuild would either have a lower roof with the same depth of seat rows.  Or the same height but better use of the space to create more rows.
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 148
15 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Show us the money

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.