Mappers
July 12, 2023, 10:36am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,324
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
Just a guess but I think that if you move PA & Police box to Fan Zone corner and build a stand from Osmond corner right round to the Pontoon stand, the same height it would increase capacity by about a thousand or even more. The extra space round the corners would be more than you might think, and better design of Press Box etc would create even more seats. You could even have more rows if the roof was not apex. No architect/building engineer but sound feasible to me.

I would think that is probably our most realistic option financially, unless we get some serious investment to either relocate or significantly improve Blundell Park .

Viability of anything in the corners ,how it stands atm must be questionable and maybe that's why they have not pursued adding capacity there .

Does the fanzone effect viability in that corner ?
Does the various items stowed in the section between The Pontoon & Main stand effect it in that one ?
And is the the food outlet , extreme amount of footfall both throughout the game and after ; not to mention location of the toilets an issue in the remaining corner  as it is now ?

I don't know the answers , but you would need to look at the impact V reward before starting any work there .

If we did do what you suggest , although increase in capacity would be limited , The Main could be refurbished and reconfigured for better disabled facilities , Press box and corporate you would have thought .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 148
BobbyCummingsTackle
July 12, 2023, 11:21am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,277
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from Simon

Would snap your hand off market value plus 20%

You might but will Mrs Miggins who's lived there for 45 years, raised all her children there and it's where her Arthur died? I suspect not.

There are hundreds of stories of people refusing to accept the developer's cash and as a result roads and buildings had to be built round them. I suspect that's what happened on the M62 where it separates and there's a farm in the middle of the carriageways. People have an extraordinary connection to their homes.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 148
BobbyCummingsTackle
July 12, 2023, 11:42am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from thornemariner

Brentford's ground didn't have housing on it. It was originally railway land before being brought by a developer who didn't go forward with their plans, largely due to the fallout of the 2008 banking crash.

There are high-rise developments around it now and it shows what can be done with a relatively small piece of land with plenty of imagination.

Just as an aside, the capacity was originally going to be larger but the owner settled on 17500 which appears to have been the right call. Tickets for the 'bigger fixtures' generally make sale to members without a strong buying history and I wonder what capacity we will actually need at Grimsby.

I think Town do need a new ground (the Main Stand won't get a certificate forever) but possibly not the size we envisage.

The idea with the 17500 capacity was that the club would pretty much fill the ground for most games and that would generate a great atmosphere. Which is does.

They talked about the possibility of increasing capacity if and when they qualified for Europe and were confident of their place in the Prem. In their wildest dreams they didn't expect that to be 2022/3 and they're now faced with something of a dilemma, but a nice one to have.  

If you're not a season ticket holder at The Bees you have to be on the website the moment the clock ticks round to them being available to buy and you have to be quick. And that was before they were in Europe.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 148
Limerick Mariner
July 12, 2023, 11:42am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,697
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Mappers

I would think that is probably our most realistic option financially, unless we get some serious investment to either relocate or significantly improve Blundell Park .

Viability of anything in the corners ,how it stands atm must be questionable and maybe that's why they have not pursued adding capacity there .

Does the fanzone effect viability in that corner ?
Does the various items stowed in the section between The Pontoon & Main stand effect it in that one ?
And is the the food outlet , extreme amount of footfall both throughout the game and after ; not to mention location of the toilets an issue in the remaining corner  as it is now ?

I don't know the answers , but you would need to look at the impact V reward before starting any work there .

If we did do what you suggest , although increase in capacity would be limited , The Main could be refurbished and reconfigured for better disabled facilities , Press box and corporate you would have thought .

If you look at the Main Stand at present - there is a lot of wasted space at the front. The first two terrace steps when it was a standing paddock were very wide. In a new stand the first row of seats could be much nearer the pitch and that space transferred to the understand concourse giving more space for toilets and food and beverage. With a new stand I’d put a safe standing area in the Harrington corner which could eventually link to safe standing in a new Pontoon stand in future. I think we’d looking at about 4k capacity taking us to about 10k.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 148
thornemariner
July 12, 2023, 12:43pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +655
Gold Stars: 22

The idea with the 17500 capacity was that the club would pretty much fill the ground for most games and that would generate a great atmosphere. Which is does.

They talked about the possibility of increasing capacity if and when they qualified for Europe and were confident of their place in the Prem. In their wildest dreams they didn't expect that to be 2022/3 and they're now faced with something of a dilemma, but a nice one to have.  

If you're not a season ticket holder at The Bees you have to be on the website the moment the clock ticks round to them being available to buy and you have to be quick. And that was before they were in Europe.

The Bees aren't in Europe. They missed out by two points and it makes Aston Villa's 87th minute equaliser at Brentford more galling given the Bees had dominated the game!  

The club do offer windows for those with a certain number of TAPs points to buy home games to manage demand. The numbers of ST holders is capped with just a few available every season.  I think the capacity is probably right. Brentford's number of ST holders for the last season at Griffin Park wasn't spectacularly higher than Town's are now.

Anyway, I have a ST there as well as Grimsby but if I didn't I would have enough TAPs to get a ticket for any home game. I didn't have a ST for the last season at GP but had a ticket for the last scheduled game there because of my previous purchasing history. Sadly, COVID meant it took place behind closed doors.
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 148
BobbyCummingsTackle
July 12, 2023, 1:04pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from thornemariner

The Bees aren't in Europe. They missed out by two points and it makes Aston Villa's 87th minute equaliser at Brentford more galling given the Bees had dominated the game!  

The club do offer windows for those with a certain number of TAPs points to buy home games to manage demand. The numbers of ST holders is capped with just a few available every season.  I think the capacity is probably right. Brentford's number of ST holders for the last season at Griffin Park wasn't spectacularly higher than Town's are now.

Anyway, I have a ST there as well as Grimsby but if I didn't I would have enough TAPs to get a ticket for any home game. I didn't have a ST for the last season at GP but had a ticket for the last scheduled game there because of my previous purchasing history. Sadly, COVID meant it took place behind closed doors.

Yep, you're right. My mistake.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 148
mimma
July 12, 2023, 1:20pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 78
Very much doubt we would get planning permission for any main stand rebuild or extension. The local residents would fight it tooth and nail and legal wrangling would take years, just like the Great Coates debacle.

The M62 that runs around that farm is because of a geological fault, and not because the farmer refused to sell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 148
lew chaterleys lover
July 12, 2023, 1:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,720
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from mimma
Very much doubt we would get planning permission for any main stand rebuild or extension. The local residents would fight it tooth and nail and legal wrangling would take years, just like the Great Coates debacle.

The M62 that runs around that farm is because of a geological fault, and not because the farmer refused to sell.

Surely the opposite is true,  in the sense that there is a current structure in place? Why would the residents object to a smart looking revamped stand compared to what is there now?

It would be tastefully done, and all the residents moved next to a football ground so surely would have expected modifications to be made over time?
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 148
Les Brechin
July 12, 2023, 1:56pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,713
Gold Stars: 174

You might but will Mrs Miggins who's lived there for 45 years, raised all her children there and it's where her Arthur died? I suspect not.

There are hundreds of stories of people refusing to accept the developer's cash and as a result roads and buildings had to be built round them. I suspect that's what happened on the M62 where it separates and there's a farm in the middle of the carriageways. People have an extraordinary connection to their homes.

Not the case actually. It's because the ground the farm is on was unsuitable for a road to be built.

https://www.manchestereveningn.....62-motorway-16416520

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 148
BobbyCummingsTackle
July 12, 2023, 3:10pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin

Not the case actually. It's because the ground the farm is on was unsuitable for a road to be built.

https://www.manchestereveningn.....62-motorway-16416520

I'm on fire this afternoon.....

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 148
15 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Show us the money

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.