Poojah
July 11, 2023, 10:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,767
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from Maringer
Erm, to state the obvious, building a stand over the top of an existing one is likely to be considerably more expensive than just razing the old structure to the ground and then starting from scratch.

Brentford and Liverpool could afford it. We almost certainly can't.

It's a nice thought, but I can't see that ever being a goer.

Brentford built a new ground entirely, fwiw. The more common and less expensive way to do it is to start building behind the existing structure (see Cardiff City photo below). It buys you a bit of time, but obviously much less so when you’re not retaining any of the original stand (which wasn’t the case in the Cardiff example).

[img]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxXnb-YL-iP2IK8wz42hdDBD7_zUm6FI8a2w&usqp=CAU[/img]

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 148
lew chaterleys lover
July 11, 2023, 10:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,757
Gold Stars: 237
The only cost effective way to mitigate against loss of capacity during a rebuild would be to cram in as many temporary seats as possible surely?

Private Message
Reply: 91 - 148
Maringer
July 11, 2023, 11:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,674
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from Poojah

Brentford built a new ground entirely, fwiw. The more common and less expensive way to do it is to start building behind the existing structure (see Cardiff City photo below). It buys you a bit of time, but obviously much less so when you’re not retaining any of the original stand (which wasn’t the case in the Cardiff example).

[img]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxXnb-YL-iP2IK8wz42hdDBD7_zUm6FI8a2w&usqp=CAU[/img]

Yeah, I know Brentford was a new stand. Just a poorly-worded post from me. I seem to recall reading that the land on which their new stadium was built was obtained through a compulsory purchase order? Whatever the rights or wrongs of turfing people out of their homes, good luck getting one of those from N.E. Lincs council!

Not far off 20 years ago I actually visited Ninian Park and the Leckwith Athletic Stadium which was later redeveloped to include their new ground and one thing that area wasn't lacking was a bit of spare room around it. Not something which could be said of Blundell Park!

One potential way in which capacity at BP could be increased would be if safe standing were allowed in one or more of the stands. Convert the Ponny to safe standing and you could increase the capacity by, what, 50-odd percent? I'm not sure if a major rebuild would be required to arrange this or not, but I'd guess it is potentially something which could be developed over the course of the summer months. And, of course, there is the issue of needing to turf ticket holders out of their seats, if they don't want to stand at games. I personally prefer to sit we've had our seats in the centre of the Upper Findus for over 30 years now. If they were redeveloping the stand, I'd be happy enough to stand elsewhere for as long as necessary, but I think it would probably be enough to stop my Dad attending games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 148
Southwark Mariner
July 12, 2023, 12:00am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,562
Gold Stars: 83
You can understand why Jason Stockwood is all for getting rid of the 3pm tv blackout
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 148
Captain Sensible
July 12, 2023, 12:43am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: +178
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Maringer
Erm, to state the obvious, building a stand over the top of an existing one is likely to be considerably more expensive than just razing the old structure to the ground and then starting from scratch.

Brentford and Liverpool could afford it. We almost certainly can't.

It's a nice thought, but I can't see that ever being a goer.

Sorry, but why is that obvious?  Can you give an explanation as to why it would be 'considerably more expensive'?  There may be issues to overcome, such as the housing as outlined by Poojah. But those houses are a problem that may well need solving anyway if BP is to be upgraded, and may themselves be a showstopper.

If BP's capacity is to be improved, fan experience to be brought into the 21st century and revenues improved, then some lateral thinking will probably be required.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 148
Mappers
July 12, 2023, 5:31am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,481
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from Maringer

Yeah, I know Brentford was a new stand. Just a poorly-worded post from me. I seem to recall reading that the land on which their new stadium was built was obtained through a compulsory purchase order? Whatever the rights or wrongs of turfing people out of their homes, good luck getting one of those from N.E. Lincs council!

Not far off 20 years ago I actually visited Ninian Park and the Leckwith Athletic Stadium which was later redeveloped to include their new ground and one thing that area wasn't lacking was a bit of spare room around it. Not something which could be said of Blundell Park!

One potential way in which capacity at BP could be increased would be if safe standing were allowed in one or more of the stands. Convert the Ponny to safe standing and you could increase the capacity by, what, 50-odd percent? I'm not sure if a major rebuild would be required to arrange this or not, but I'd guess it is potentially something which could be developed over the course of the summer months. And, of course, there is the issue of needing to turf ticket holders out of their seats, if they don't want to stand at games. I personally prefer to sit we've had our seats in the centre of the Upper Findus for over 30 years now. If they were redeveloping the stand, I'd be happy enough to stand elsewhere for as long as necessary, but I think it would probably be enough to stop my Dad attending games.

Safe standing does not increase capacity , as there now has to be a certain distance between the allocated standing spaces seperated by railings which are roughly the same as a seat.

So the only way safe standing increases capacity is if it's put somewhere there are not already seats .

The only way you have less restriction on standing now is if standing was already there pre the introduction of all seater and you were below The Championship when the Taylor report rules were brought in to implement it I think .

That Is something not touched on actually - our relative success in the 90's and having to convert to all seater  , in terms of BP's capacity alone is actually hindering us now. Fairly unrestricted terracing lower down is still used (Carlisle as an example and a similiar size to the old BP , and got 16k in versus Bradford in the play-offs) and Scunny,Yeovil,Rotherham and Colchester have all been permitted to use it in The Championship .

The capacity of our old ground basically got cut in half for doing well at the wrong time and one terribly tragic incident.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 148
grimps
July 12, 2023, 7:12am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,152
Gold Stars: 46
Knocking the main stand down and replacing it with a full length and higher capacity.
I’m pretty sure they could easy get a 5-6000 seating stand.

It’s not like the neighbours in the houses backing on to it will lose any view from their back yard.

People seem to think of the Main stand is knocked down it needs to be replaced with something of the same design which is balderdash .

We need a new ground but if we’re going to keep kicking the can down the road for another 20 years then something needs to happen to Blundell park very soon or we’re going to get left behind even in League Two
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 148
aldi_01
July 12, 2023, 7:27am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Modern technology and architecture could definitely create something full length of the pitch where the main stand is, probably on a similar footprint but again, it all comes down to cost.

I’d rather a club and have a conversation about a few folk not being able to get a ticket or eat some prawn sarnies than have a shiny ground and intercourse all team.

I am also aware that this is an extreme case but hey ho.

Out of interest, how many of the homes, behind the main stand are occupied, owned by the people residing in them and what is their value.

I understand compulsory purchase has moral implications but I’ve seen ‘for sale’ boards up down there in the past. It has to be a thought, and whilst I know it’s easy and en vogue to criticise NELC but I suspect, should the plans and vision be clear enough, they’d probably go for it.

We were never getting the vote from NELC with Fenty at the helm, they saw him most days and clearly recognised he was unable to ever deliver such a project…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 148
Maringer
July 12, 2023, 7:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

Safe standing does not increase capacity , as there now has to be a certain distance between the allocated standing spaces seperated by railings which are roughly the same as a seat.

I did a quick Google search before I posted about safe standing and that indicated it could increase capacity up to 40-odd percent. I suppose that may just be a figure relating to another country as I know some European countries allow it. Our regulations may be different, I suppose.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 148
Maringer
July 12, 2023, 7:53am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Captain Sensible

Sorry, but why is that obvious?  Can you give an explanation as to why it would be 'considerably more expensive'?

Building and supporting a more complicated structure around and over an older structure which has to be kept mostly intact, functional and with the necessary safety certificates isn't going to be easier than just starting from scratch. I'd imagine that something as relatively simple as digging out the footings for a larger new stand could interfere with the older structure. Of course, the Main Stand famously doesn't have any footings - it was just plonked down at BP! No health and safety or building control for Victorian engineers...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 148
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Show us the money

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.