lew chaterleys lover
July 11, 2023, 1:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,760
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Maringer
I think we do also need to consider the impact of future sea level rises - though that's true of the whole flipping town! How high will the sea defences need to be built in the new few decades?

Our teacher told us confidently in 1960 that Grimsby would be under water by 1970. Scared me to death it did!
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 148
Mappers
July 11, 2023, 1:40pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,480
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from LondonMariner43

It is no doubt an unpopular opinion, but the conclusion of this article is totally flawed, saying that the solution is to keep finding people to inject more equity into the club and to run the club at a loss every year.  That means that if new investors can't be found, the club has to painfully cut its costs (ie reduce the squad and/ or the quality of the squad) and experience a rapid drop down the leagues.

There are only two reasons people will invest in a club like GTFC.  Either they love the club and/ or they think they will make a financial return.  They won't make a financial return if the club never becomes financially sustainable and there's only a limited number of high wealth people who support Town.

The current owners aren't mega wealthy but are willing to invest to turn the club around and help it become sustainable and I'm sure they will do that, hopefully taking us to a higher level along the way.  However, they don't fall into the 'more money than sense' category who will splurge for a short while, lose interest and leave the club on its knees.

Christ we just had 20 years of somebody trying  to run the club at at relatively break even model (albeit badly ).

Unfortunately in the modern game ,as it is now , to compete even at league 2 level needs a decent amount of investment ; otherwise you get left behind /relegated the majority of the time .

I think Petit and Stockwood hope better regulation will improve things but time will tell.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 148
RichMariner
July 11, 2023, 2:15pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,165
Gold Stars: 211
I wrote an article on the subject of BP's capacity last season — basically saying 'seats sold' is the figure we should be looking at, not 'attendances'.

JS kept saying they weren't looking at expanding BP because we weren't selling out. We don't sell out, if you look at attendances. We're always way short of the 9,000 capacity BP has (according to DC).

But a fair portion of that 9,000 will never be sold because of the restricted views. I'd rather not go, than pay and see half the pitch.

And then there are those who buy seats i.e. season ticket holders, and don't show up. Generally speaking, across the board at every club, 8-10% of seats sold don't get sat in because of illness, weddings, stag/hen dos, birthdays, holidays, work, etc.

That's why our 'sell-outs' usually come in at somewhere around 7,600.

And the problem here is one that's already been pointed out on this thread by various people. After STH, the remaining tickets available are dotted about. A few hundred will have decent views, but they're not together — so someone like me, who lives away and can only make half a dozen home matches, can't get 3 or 4 tickets together (because when I do make it back, I want to make a proper day of it and go with friends, etc).

I think we absolutely must look at increasing BP's capacity today. We can't keen spurning energy and wasting money on a new ground.

I'm not an expert - I'll leave that to the likes of AP - but the initial outlay of filling in the corners, adding another 1k onto the capacity, creating more options where groups of fans can attend together, is going to generate more revenue on match days.

Surely that's got to be an ambition? We've got to start doing something, otherwise we're missing out on bigger attendances. There's no doubt in my mind that had our capacity been bigger last season, our average attendance would have been greater than it was.

Can never prove this, of course, but I'd have gone to more matches, as would many others by the sounds of it. So, in short, we are turning away fans. Not in a calculated way, but in an incidental way.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Online
Site Private Message
Reply: 62 - 148
ska face
July 11, 2023, 2:38pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,780
Gold Stars: 851
Yeh I honestly can’t believe this isn’t something they had lined up & ready to go immediately at the point it looked like STs would be hitting similar numbers to last year.

Maybe they have? Who knows. Would be ridiculous if they’re still umming & aahing over it at this point though.
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 148
BobbyCummingsTackle
July 11, 2023, 2:47pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,301
Gold Stars: 307
Quoted from ska face
Yeh I honestly can’t believe this isn’t something they had lined up & ready to go immediately at the point it looked like STs would be hitting similar numbers to last year.

Maybe they have? Who knows. Would be ridiculous if they’re still umming & aahing over it at this point though.

Yep, temp seats in the corners look like a winner to me but I have no idea of costs and the hoops you probably have to jump through. It can't be that much though or Fenty would never have done it.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 148
diehardmariner
July 11, 2023, 3:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,698
Gold Stars: 541
Maybe temp seats is the fabled marquee signing that's due to happen before the start of the season.

Stockwood to pull back a massive white sheet off the old green seats between two of the stands ahead of the Hull friendly, the shape giving away the content in the same way a badly wrapped bicycle does on Christmas morning.
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 148
BobbyCummingsTackle
July 11, 2023, 3:34pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,301
Gold Stars: 307
Quoted from diehardmariner
Maybe temp seats is the fabled marquee signing that's due to happen before the start of the season.

Stockwood to pull back a massive white sheet off the old green seats between two of the stands ahead of the Hull friendly, the shape giving away the content in the same way a badly wrapped bicycle does on Christmas morning.

And 1500 people looking disappointed and saying 'but we wanted a striker...'

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 148
diehardmariner
July 11, 2023, 3:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,698
Gold Stars: 541
"They've only scored 4 in 29 at FakeFest at the Meridian Showground."
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 148
Gaffer58
July 11, 2023, 3:54pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Will anyone in the lower leagues sell out their grounds when the new TV package for league clubs starts in a season or 2. Isn’t there a proposal that all games will be televised but will be pay to view. If this is correct apart from your absolute hard core of fans who must be at the game I can see the majority watching from home, especially on a cold wet Tuesday night in December.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 148
bedders78
July 11, 2023, 3:56pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +839
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from diehardmariner
"They've only scored 4 in 29 at FakeFest at the Meridian Showground."

Boo, no league experience

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 148
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Show us the money

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.