15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Mike_67
July 10, 2023, 1:04pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +52
Gold Stars: 1
Interesting article.

A few things popped into my head about how Lincoln are doing things.

Is it known who is buying each batch of newly issued shares at Lincoln?
Does it affect the control of the club and if so could this lead to similar  issues with having a single “benefactor”?
Presumably Trust owned clubs couldn’t operate this way as they’d have to find others willing to invest and that would, over time, erode the control over the club?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 148
BobbyCummingsTackle
July 10, 2023, 1:12pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,279
Gold Stars: 306
I did a 'corporate' at Brentford a little while ago and during the tour they said that they could do hospitality for around 50 people at Griffin Park (and they admitted it was not a good experience). At the new stadium it's nearer 5000.

Commercially that is your justification for a new ground, although I know Town would not be getting 5000 in hospitality.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 148
Mappers
July 10, 2023, 1:52pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,330
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Mike_67
Interesting article.

A few things popped into my head about how Lincoln are doing things.

Is it known who is buying each batch of newly issued shares at Lincoln?
Does it affect the control of the club and if so could this lead to similar  issues with having a single “benefactor”?
Presumably Trust owned clubs couldn’t operate this way as they’d have to find others willing to invest and that would, over time, erode the control over the club?

It's mainly goodwill I believe through Landon Donavan and American's , with smaller share percentages shared around with control with Nates and operations run by the CEO , seems a really good setup tbf .

Supporters running a club competitively is pie in the sky - look at our new friends Newport - they are a proper fan owned club but have very low crowds and have 13 senior pro's unable to compete financially with hardly anyone in league 2 .

Exeter do it better , but as someone mentioned on another thread got 6 million from the sale of Watkins which must have helped .

Wimbledon are the only other one I can think of , seems be set as an average league 2 club for a while with decent gates .

I actually think we are in the fortunate position that we are essentially fan owned with owners (with £££)that support the club and are willing to let the fans have input .

I would be interested to know of the 92 how many clubs are operated by owners who are lifelong fans - ir's probably - 30 just from the Prem and Champ so you are down to 60 say , and i reckon another half of that are maybe outsiders at a guess.

It's a pretty low bar with the terrible level of football ownership wrong uns though .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 148
Poojah
July 10, 2023, 1:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,583
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from Mappers

It's mainly goodwill I believe through Landon Donavan and American's , with smaller share percentages shared around with control with Nates and operations run by the CEO , seems a really good setup tbf .

Supporters running a club competitively is pie in the sky - look at our new friends Newport - they are a proper fan owned club but have very low crowds and have 13 senior pro's unable to compete financially with hardly anyone in league 2 .

Exeter do it better , but as someone mentioned on another thread got 6 million from the sale of Watkins which must have helped .

Wimbledon are the only other one I can think of , seems be set as an average league 2 club for a while with decent gates .

I actually think we are in the fortunate position that we are essentially fan owned with owners that support the club and are willing to let the fans have input .

It's a pretty low bar with the terrible level of football ownership wrong uns though .

As difficult as it is to pick your promotion favourites for League Two next season, the bottom group is looking increasingly clear.

Newport currently have only two contracted seniors defenders for next season, one of whom still has fewer than 50 appearances to his name.

There’s going to be a very clear divide in next season’s League Two table, I reckon.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 148
Mappers
July 10, 2023, 2:08pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,330
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Poojah

As difficult as it is to pick your promotion favourites for League Two next season, the bottom group is looking increasingly clear.

Newport currently have only two contracted seniors defenders for next season, one of whom still has fewer than 50 appearances to his name.

There’s going to be a very clear divide in next season’s League Two table, I reckon.

Yeah I would say definately struggle badly-  
Newport
Morecambe
Crawley

Then maybe -
Sutton
Accrington
Colchester
Crewe
FGR
Harrogate
Wimbledon

I am sure Crewe will be the next once bigish traditional club to go at some point soon , no investment and still trying to bring through a few youth players but slowly declining year on year - almost a copy of us from the last decades .

What do you think ,any more ?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 148
Limerick Mariner
July 10, 2023, 2:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,703
Gold Stars: 136
I did a 'corporate' at Brentford a little while ago and during the tour they said that they could do hospitality for around 50 people at Griffin Park (and they admitted it was not a good experience). At the new stadium it's nearer 5000.

Commercially that is your justification for a new ground, although I know Town would not be getting 5000 in hospitality.

Yep - I did corporate at Brighton and it was outstanding and they had loads of capacity. £200 was good value for an FA Cup QF. If we drew Derby at home in the FACup first round - what could we sell in corporate to home and away fans if we had the capacity - 200 @ £100? If so it would be close to the same revenue as the away allocation. This is where we lose out with BP as it is now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 148
BobbyCummingsTackle
July 10, 2023, 3:06pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Yep - I did corporate at Brighton and it was outstanding and they had loads of capacity. £200 was good value for an FA Cup QF. If we drew Derby at home in the FACup first round - what could we sell in corporate to home and away fans if we had the capacity - 200 @ £100? If so it would be close to the same revenue as the away allocation. This is where we lose out with BP as it is now.

I get how some want to keep the old girl and not move to a plastic stadium but this is the stark reality of old grounds. As well as restricted income BP is now costing money to just keep going and open. The head has to rule the heart.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 148
lew chaterleys lover
July 10, 2023, 3:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,724
Gold Stars: 237

I get how some want to keep the old girl and not move to a plastic stadium but this is the stark reality of old grounds. As well as restricted income BP is now costing money to just keep going and open. The head has to rule the heart.

But a new stadium is out of the question due to cost, so we are stuck with the old girl whether we like it or not. We will have to refurbish when we can unless miracles happen in the future.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 148
Mike_67
July 10, 2023, 4:25pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +52
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Mappers

I actually think we are in the fortunate position that we are essentially fan owned with owners (with £££)that support the club and are willing to let the fans have input .

I would be interested to know of the 92 how many clubs are operated by owners who are lifelong fans - ir's probably - 30 just from the Prem and Champ so you are down to 60 say , and i reckon another half of that are maybe outsiders at a guess.

Ok thanks.
I always wonder what’s in it for them with investors in football clubs - especially lower league ones.  Either they’re fans that have done well financially and want to have an influence on their local team or they’re in it for some future payoff (or maybe it’s a short term plaything because they’re extremely wealthy). Can’t see a payoff with a lower team though unless they’re putting serious money in and hoping to make it to championship or even higher.
Agree about the fan ownership option. I could never see how a club owned by it’s fanbase could compete when other clubs have much better access to funds - even if I struggle to understand why many of the investors are doing it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 148
BobbyCummingsTackle
July 10, 2023, 5:57pm
Champagne Drinker

But a new stadium is out of the question due to cost, so we are stuck with the old girl whether we like it or not. We will have to refurbish when we can unless miracles happen in the future.

I agree. And the owners have said the same. But there will come a time when the costs of BP are untenable.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 148
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Show us the money

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.