Mappers
July 12, 2023, 7:57am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,330
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Maringer

I did a quick Google search before I posted about safe standing and that indicated it could increase capacity up to 40-odd percent. I suppose that may just be a figure relating to another country as I know some European countries allow it. Our regulations may be different, I suppose.

Yeah , unfortunately it's the UK legislation I believe and the safe standing spot can't be any smaller than  where a seat would be , the equivalent of a seat number is added for that standing spot . Pretty sure this is the case .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 148
ska face
July 12, 2023, 8:46am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
I don’t think we need Rem Koolhaas on the job, just get a temporary stand (with a roof) and sling it up in the corner.
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 148
thornemariner
July 12, 2023, 9:02am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +655
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from Maringer

Yeah, I know Brentford was a new stand. Just a poorly-worded post from me. I seem to recall reading that the land on which their new stadium was built was obtained through a compulsory purchase order? Whatever the rights or wrongs of turfing people out of their homes, good luck getting one of those from N.E. Lincs council!

Not far off 20 years ago I actually visited Ninian Park and the Leckwith Athletic Stadium which was later redeveloped to include their new ground and one thing that area wasn't lacking was a bit of spare room around it. Not something which could be said of Blundell Park!

One potential way in which capacity at BP could be increased would be if safe standing were allowed in one or more of the stands. Convert the Ponny to safe standing and you could increase the capacity by, what, 50-odd percent? I'm not sure if a major rebuild would be required to arrange this or not, but I'd guess it is potentially something which could be developed over the course of the summer months. And, of course, there is the issue of needing to turf ticket holders out of their seats, if they don't want to stand at games. I personally prefer to sit we've had our seats in the centre of the Upper Findus for over 30 years now. If they were redeveloping the stand, I'd be happy enough to stand elsewhere for as long as necessary, but I think it would probably be enough to stop my Dad attending games.

Brentford's ground didn't have housing on it. It was originally railway land before being brought by a developer who didn't go forward with their plans, largely due to the fallout of the 2008 banking crash.

There are high-rise developments around it now and it shows what can be done with a relatively small piece of land with plenty of imagination.

Just as an aside, the capacity was originally going to be larger but the owner settled on 17500 which appears to have been the right call. Tickets for the 'bigger fixtures' generally make sale to members without a strong buying history and I wonder what capacity we will actually need at Grimsby.

I think Town do need a new ground (the Main Stand won't get a certificate forever) but possibly not the size we envisage.
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 148
Madeleymariner
July 12, 2023, 9:17am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,059
Gold Stars: 50
Re houses at back of main. Could the club buy any that go up for sale and then rent them out till we are ready to expand, then less people to have to pay over the house value/get compulsory when we are ready to go.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 148
lew chaterleys lover
July 12, 2023, 9:35am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from thornemariner

Brentford's ground didn't have housing on it. It was originally railway land before being brought by a developer who didn't go forward with their plans, largely due to the fallout of the 2008 banking crash.

There are high-rise developments around it now and it shows what can be done with a relatively small piece of land with plenty of imagination.

Just as an aside, the capacity was originally going to be larger but the owner settled on 17500 which appears to have been the right call. Tickets for the 'bigger fixtures' generally make sale to members without a strong buying history and I wonder what capacity we will actually need at Grimsby.

I think Town do need a new ground (the Main Stand won't get a certificate forever) but possibly not the size we envisage.

I think we need more capacity than at first glance.

We are in the bottom tier of league football and could easily get full houses currently if things go well. The demand in league 1 would be enormous.

If we could get more away fans in that would bring in a lot of revenue particularly if we could get promotion.

For the really big games you need the flexibility a decent capacity gives you. As for a figure perhaps 12k minimum but 14k ideally?
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 148
diehardmariner
July 12, 2023, 9:45am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
I can't for the life of me imagine 1878 go down the compulsory purchase order.  It's a bad look all round.  

I think, happy to be corrected, that Liverpool did the buying of the house option bit by bit until the got to the point of needing to use compulsory purchase orders.  The problem with this is that you're always going to get someone, rightly or wrongly, who refuses and stays put.  

I used to work with someone who lived on the Yarborough Estate, Central Parade to be specific.  They refused and refused to budge as the new Freshney Green was put up around them, talking years and years.  Their attitude was they liked their house, didn't want to move so why should they?  It's difficult to argue with that, it's not a given that we should be able to force people out their homes.

As a side note, some genuinely good ideas on this thread alone.  Mixing from the simplistic to the quite leftfield.  
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 148
Oly1987
July 12, 2023, 9:47am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,227
Gold Stars: 22
regarding the main stand, im sure I remember seeing somewhere that any changes to the main stand would be subject to a height restriction on the building due to the houses behind it. Not sure if that's true but if that is the case would mean we would have to be a little more creative to get the maximum amount out of a limited space.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 148
Grantham_Mariner
July 12, 2023, 10:12am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,190
Gold Stars: 51
Just a guess but I think that if you move PA & Police box to Fan Zone corner and build a stand from Osmond corner right round to the Pontoon stand, the same height it would increase capacity by about a thousand or even more. The extra space round the corners would be more than you might think, and better design of Press Box etc would create even more seats. You could even have more rows if the roof was not apex. No architect/building engineer but sound feasible to me.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 148
diehardmariner
July 12, 2023, 10:23am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
I either heard someone say it last year or read it on here at some point, but I'm sure there was something about plans to move the Press and Police Box into the old corner between the Main and the Osmond.  (Not the area with the seats, the old wooden terrace cage, last time I remember that getting used was Exeter's hardy few getting lobbed in there in 1991).  

That, in theory, opens up that whole corner for expansion and would also make some of those restricted seats in the top corner (Pontoon end) of the Main Stand more sellable owing to the fact you can actually see more than 60% of the pitch.
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 148
lew chaterleys lover
July 12, 2023, 10:31am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
Just a guess but I think that if you move PA & Police box to Fan Zone corner and build a stand from Osmond corner right round to the Pontoon stand, the same height it would increase capacity by about a thousand or even more. The extra space round the corners would be more than you might think, and better design of Press Box etc would create even more seats. You could even have more rows if the roof was not apex. No architect/building engineer but sound feasible to me.

I'm sure you are right, and also doesn't the space behind the Main go a fair way back. I would love to hear what an architect could do with the footprint of BP on that side. It's just the bloody cost of it all but there must be ways round it.
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 148
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Show us the money

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.