Show us the money

This thread currently has 13,065 views. Print
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
BobbyCummingsTackle
July 10, 2023, 9:10pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,279
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from Mappers

How far off do you think that is ?

I mean is there a point in the short to medium term when the Main stand could be condemned/ not safe to use?

Wouldn‘t have a clue, it`s not my area of expertise. It`s all about safety and as long as it`s deemed safe we can keep going. While the Main is the most obvious potential issue the Osmond is hardly a new stand and will probably attract interest from the safety inspectors as much as the Main.

It`s not just the stand though. The Main has all the changing rooms and other `facilities` and they are woefully out of date. I understand the changing rooms are tiny and just not up to a decent standard (despite sinks being put in for the ladies).

Someone suggested we could knock down BP and rebuild on the same site - the footprint of BP is very small and hemmed in by houses on 3 sides (3 and a bit really). So to increase capacity we would have to build bigger stands and that may not go down well with the residents backing on to the ground. They may also object to the potential increase in traffic and congestion from a bigger ground. And it`s a more expensive option, very few clubs have rebuilt their ground where they were struggling for space - Liverpool took a chunk of Stanley Park, Chelsea had a huge footprint to begin with, Old Tafford has loads of space round it but The Dell, Maine Rd, Bolton (The Old Show Ground!) were all like BP.

Luton is a potential exception as their proposed new ground is slap bang in the town centre but it`s (verbally at least) backed by the council who see it as a focal point for regeneration, very much like the plans we were shown for building a new ground on the old market/flats on Freeman St.

But the owners say a new ground is not on the agenda for the foreseeable future. For their sake, I hope the safety inspectors feel the same way.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 148
BobbyCummingsTackle
July 10, 2023, 9:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from gtfc_chris

I've never previously been a fan of this idea, lending my support more to the brand new crisp stadium in some open space with better commutability. Appeals to mine aesthetic eye.

In the last year or so however I do find myself coming back the other way and wondering if redeveloping BP might be a better option. The one thing I see as difficult within that project though - and why I don't think it would be feasible without substantial cost - is the proximity of houses.

Although we wouldn't need towering stands all the way around like the Findus, the whole point would be to build something to cater not just for today but for the future and hopeful success that might be part of said future. The corners will obviously add an awful lot of extra capacity without the need for height.

The bit I can't see though is how the work will be able to take place, without disrupting the season in terms of encroaching on the pitch and with the houses all round. People within the construction industry may easily point out how simple it could be but I can't see past the limited space for construction without impacting the pitch and ability for games to go ahead.

It also just occurred to me that an improved stadium with improved corporate facilities would require increased car parking availability which again I can't see being possible without a number of houses being purchased and knocked down. Obviously not a show-stopper and still possibly cheaper than a brand new stadium but I imagine could be more tricky to achieve.

It certainly does feel we're between a rock and a hard place at the minute. We've had two seasons out of two with the new owners where ST sales have been fantastic and shows the support is out there, yet we'd perhaps be jumping the gun to rush into a brand new stadium. But we can't prove the height of that support given the limitations BP has. It's a nice problem to be in, and better discussing this than discussing how can we get more local football fans into BP to support the club which was more the case pre JS and AP.

I would be surprised if there was any chance of getting planning permission for new car parking. Planning at the moment generally tries to discourage car use and encourage public transport. Encouraging cars into the area would also increase congestion on match days and no council will legislate for that. The new Everton stadium has almost no car parking.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 148
Mappers
July 10, 2023, 9:38pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,333
Gold Stars: 118

Wouldn‘t have a clue, it`s not my area of expertise. It`s all about safety and as long as it`s deemed safe we can keep going. While the Main is the most obvious potential issue the Osmond is hardly a new stand and will probably attract interest from the safety inspectors as much as the Main.

It`s not just the stand though. The Main has all the changing rooms and other `facilities` and they are woefully out of date. I understand the changing rooms are tiny and just not up to a decent standard (despite sinks being put in for the ladies).

Someone suggested we could knock down BP and rebuild on the same site - the footprint of BP is very small and hemmed in by houses on 3 sides (3 and a bit really). So to increase capacity we would have to build bigger stands and that may not go down well with the residents backing on to the ground. They may also object to the potential increase in traffic and congestion from a bigger ground. And it`s a more expensive option, very few clubs have rebuilt their ground where they were struggling for space - Liverpool took a chunk of Stanley Park, Chelsea had a huge footprint to begin with, Old Tafford has loads of space round it but The Dell, Maine Rd, Bolton (The Old Show Ground!) were all like BP.

Luton is a potential exception as their proposed new ground is slap bang in the town centre but it`s (verbally at least) backed by the council who see it as a focal point for regeneration, very much like the plans we were shown for building a new ground on the old market/flats on Freeman St.

But the owners say a new ground is not on the agenda for the foreseeable future. For their sake, I hope the safety inspectors feel the same way.

Cheers
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 148
Heisenberg
July 10, 2023, 10:44pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,072
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from Simon
I would stick my neck out and predict that our next ground will form some part of the "Freshney Valley" project, it's a huge development that could quite easily house a football stadium and other retail space on the land between Great Coates & Healing

Rail network already in place, ample space for car parking and a perfect location for visiting supporters being on the A180

Just needs a few intelligent local folk to get together to make it happen, could be great for Grimsby/Cleethorpes and could solve many of the local issues with just the one development, i.e. park and ride into cleethorpes which would solve traffic/parking issues during the summer months, decent conference facilities & wedding venues etc which the town is lacking the list is endless and all extra commercial income for the club

I love Blundell Park especially on a freezing cold Tuesday evening in December to me that is football but i speak to plenty who don't see the old girl like i do and stay away because the facilities are so poor, speculate to accumulate give the fans a bit of quality and you watch the attendances rise  

I am 100% behind any new stadium, but let’s be honest, there is no money for this and never will be. Even a town fan winning the Euro Millions probably wouldn’t pay the bill.

A new ground is never, ever going to happen. It’s taken me years to realise it, but I believe it’s very likely fact. Gutting.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 148
Mappers
July 10, 2023, 11:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,333
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Heisenberg

I am 100% behind any new stadium, but let’s be honest, there is no money for this and never will be. Even a town fan winning the Euro Millions probably wouldn’t pay the bill.

A new ground is never, ever going to happen. It’s taken me years to realise it, but I believe it’s very likely fact. Gutting.

I suppose one step at a time

Has anyone got an update on the new training ground?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 148
aldi_01
July 11, 2023, 6:51am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I must be in the minority but I’m really not arsed about a new ground, certainly not one stuck out near flipping Great Coates with intercourse all around it.

The owners have been keen to stress the importance of building a community club, a stadium stuck on the edge of town does not say ‘community’. Again, we have people obsessing over increasing parking, surely, in 2023 we should be looking at getting fans and encouraging fans to get to a ground in other ways rather than just encouraging driving.

It seems like everyone went to Brighton, no massive car park there.

I’d imagine that many a discussion has taken place regarding a redevelopment of BP, and whilst some armchair experts seem to obsess over BP being knackered and seem to have some insider made up knowledge about safety certificates etc, I think there’s genuine suggestions probably being made about BP.

The previous owner wasted so much time and money on a Roy of the rovers drawing and seeking planning permission at sites that were beneficial to him that he ignored BP completely because of pig ignorance really. Had he given it a tad more TLC it wouldn’t be half as bad.

Also, if you live on say, Blundell Ave, if the pontoon suddenly doubled in height, I’m not sure that would have any negative effect on either your life or property, and it would be a modern looking building as opposed to what exists now.

Besides, there isn’t the money knocking about so fans would be better thinking about other stuff and talking about the club improving in other aspects because we’re not getting a ground anytime soon.

Is it worth potentially bankrupting a club simply to increase some corporate aspects and because a few precious folk don’t want to sit in an old stadium (these folk seem mythical and I’d imagine don’t got to any games in league 2 other than Donnie away and May be Bradford)…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 148
lukeo
July 11, 2023, 7:29am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Short term to put it bluntly we need more seats at BP.
We have less than 200 decent viewing sears available in the home stands after season ticket sales. We have a minimum of 500 walk up fans at weekends and this is before the new owners came in and seats became limited.
I assume they are already but we need to be looking at how we can increase the home capacity for this season. Its a very small risk but if we are doing well we can easily get 7k home fans in most weeks
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 148
aldi_01
July 11, 2023, 7:36am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
It’s a genuine question but how many people do we ‘turn away’ each home game?

We heard all last season there were loads being turned away yet it never seemed more than a handful of fans who had a mate of a mate who couldn’t get a ticket…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 148
1mickylyons
July 11, 2023, 7:36am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
Short to mid term I'd like to see the Pontoon extended round to the Findus and Main at the same height the Pontoon currently is . This would make a better atmosphere and add around 2k home seats. Next a complete gutting and refurb of the Main stand which whilst not really adding capacity could make 2/300 of the seats more viable to purchase with a ST? . On a smaller scale between Findus  and Osmond a purpose built state of the art disabled stand possibly with more corporate space .The cost would be manageable but its not a quick fix by any means and personally I'd much prefer a new ground Freemo/Docks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 148
BobbyCummingsTackle
July 11, 2023, 8:15am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01
It’s a genuine question but how many people do we ‘turn away’ each home game?

We heard all last season there were loads being turned away yet it never seemed more than a handful of fans who had a mate of a mate who couldn’t get a ticket…

I`m an exile. I couldn`t get a ticket for a home game last year other than with a restricted view and I couldn`t get 2 together for me and my wife. So I didn`t go.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 148
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Show us the money

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.