lukeo
July 11, 2023, 7:27pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
Quoted from Gaffer58
Will anyone in the lower leagues sell out their grounds when the new TV package for league clubs starts in a season or 2. Isn’t there a proposal that all games will be televised but will be pay to view. If this is correct apart from your absolute hard core of fans who must be at the game I can see the majority watching from home, especially on a cold wet Tuesday night in December.

Let's be honest. It doesn't take a genius to be able to do that now *for free.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 148
Captain Sensible
July 11, 2023, 7:40pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: +178
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Poojah

Brentford is certainly the best example of a fine new stadium built on a very sub-optimal piece of land, and in many ways is a modern interpretation of old school grounds like Blundell Park.

I've said previously that you could not build a new ground of meaningful size on the site of BP without purchasing and razing at least some of the surrounding houses, which has significant cost-implications and complexities associated with it, not to mention is morrally questionable (see Liverpool's expansion of Anfield). However, I superimposed Brentford's community over the boundaries of Blundell Park (including parking spaces), at scale, and it's perhaps not as far out as I had thought. Brentford's ground holds 17,250, so could you realistically build something similar in style of between 12,000 and 14,000? Probably, with the requisite architectural skill and a concession or two over the odd quirky design element (the likes of which Brentford's stadium isn't completely without).

[img]https://i.ibb.co/DpWqVJL/bfc-stad.png[/img]
Interesting though this is, the only real hurdle it solves is that it removes the need to find a new site. The bigger challenges of planning permission and much more pertinently finance would still loom just as large. It would perhaps offer the option of doing things in more modular fashion which may ease (or at least spread) the financial burden, but that comes with it's own headaches and risks (how do you accommodate the lost capacity in the interim, what if it never gets finished?).

But it is at least an option. How long is the realistic shelf life of the Main Stand and the Osmond? In their current guise, you'd imagine less than a decade. Even with some significant material improvements to their fundamental structures, is it realistic that they are hosting fans in 2043? I very much doubt it.

There are some monumental financial hurdles to climb amidst an unpredictable economic landscape, but as someone who has tended to pour cold water on the chances of a new ground (in any form), the steady rate at which the club is now moving forward at least gives me a modicum of hope that it could happen at some point in the foreseeable future. Not in the next 5 years, but somewhere in the window of 5 to 15 years, I feel we might just see something come to fruition.

I'm not an architect, but know that they are innovative people.  If I let my creative side out of its box, I can imagine the steelwork frame for a new stand being erected around the main stand before / during the season (not match days obviously), leaving the old stand intact and usable for the season.  At the end of the season there would be over three months available to demolish the old stand, and fit out the seating in the new stand.

I don't know if this approach would be feasible, but could be worth taking a look at?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 148
Simon
July 11, 2023, 8:25pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Approval: +234
Gold Stars: 33

All it needs is 20 people to give up their family homes. And planning permission to flatten them.

Would snap your hand off market value plus 20%

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 148
Madeleymariner
July 11, 2023, 8:38pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from pizzzza

The greater good...

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 148
toontown
July 11, 2023, 8:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,278
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby

you say it HAS to be done but the club decided not to do it in the end and I presume they still got the certificate,

I stand corrected but I thought they said it had to be done just they were hoping they could delay it for a bit. I believe they mentioned the possible monies from the negotiations with premier league and the expectation some of this might be reserved for submissions for ground improvements and similar.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 148
Poojah
July 11, 2023, 8:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,756
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from Captain Sensible

I'm not an architect, but know that they are innovative people.  If I let my creative side out of its box, I can imagine the steelwork frame for a new stand being erected around the main stand before / during the season (not match days obviously), leaving the old stand intact and usable for the season.  At the end of the season there would be over three months available to demolish the old stand, and fit out the seating in the new stand.

I don't know if this approach would be feasible, but could be worth taking a look at?

They’ve done pretty much just that with the two recently expanded stands at Anfield, but there they were able to build the frame of the expansion behind and eventually over the existing structure before completing the remainder of the works in the closed season (Liverpool are due to play their first few games away from home to allow them extra time to complete the work).

They were only able to do that having bought up the houses originally behind the stands, with some controversy about they tactics used in order to do so. Even then, and with Liverpool’s resources, it was a lengthy exercise.

Assuming we didn’t intend to do that, you could only build upon the existing footprint of the Pontoon, Main and Osmond Stands, meaning each stand would have to be demolished first (and I’m not sure whether you could demolish the Main Stand and Osmond at different intervals given they are essentially the same, very old structure).

You could do something as you describe with the Findus stand though, if you build atop the existing car park. That would enable you to build something akin to Brentford’s South Stand, only with a more pronounced / elongated drop in roofline and seating profile.

[img]https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article22628626.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/0_AGP_MDM_030920BRENTFORD_020JPG.jpg[/img]
[img]https://resources.evertonfc.com/photo-resources/2021/11/26/a7ea0234-bdc3-4044-8271-81634d2ca11e/GettyImages-1342448504.jpg?width=800&height=450[/img]

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 148
WOZOFGRIMSBY
July 11, 2023, 9:13pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,977
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from Madeleymariner

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few

Unfortunately, the voices of the few will crank up when they discover Guatemalan purple striped glow in the dark albino furred three headed sea woodlice in their back garden!

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 148
Captain Sensible
July 11, 2023, 9:41pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: +178
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Poojah

They’ve done pretty much just that with the two recently expanded stands at Anfield, but there they were able to build the frame of the expansion behind and eventually over the existing structure before completing the remainder of the works in the closed season (Liverpool are due to play their first few games away from home to allow them extra time to complete the work).

They were only able to do that having bought up the houses originally behind the stands, with some controversy about they tactics used in order to do so. Even then, and with Liverpool’s resources, it was a lengthy exercise.

Assuming we didn’t intend to do that, you could only build upon the existing footprint of the Pontoon, Main and Osmond Stands, meaning each stand would have to be demolished first (and I’m not sure whether you could demolish the Main Stand and Osmond at different intervals given they are essentially the same, very old structure).

You could do something as you describe with the Findus stand though, if you build atop the existing car park. That would enable you to build something akin to Brentford’s South Stand, only with a more pronounced / elongated drop in roofline and seating profile.

[img]https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article22628626.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/0_AGP_MDM_030920BRENTFORD_020JPG.jpg[/img]
[img]https://resources.evertonfc.com/photo-resources/2021/11/26/a7ea0234-bdc3-4044-8271-81634d2ca11e/GettyImages-1342448504.jpg?width=800&height=450[/img]

That's interesting thank you.  I didn't know about Liverpool.  I thought I was probably spouting nonsense!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 148
Poojah
July 11, 2023, 10:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,756
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from Captain Sensible

That's interesting thank you.  I didn't know about Liverpool.  I thought I was probably spouting nonsense!  

Not at all mate, sound thinking. Here’s a photo of the Anfield Road end before, during and (almost) after construction, for reference:

[img]https://i2-prod.liverpoolecho.co.uk/incoming/article12429271.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/Liverpool-FC-Anfield-stadium-in-2010.jpg[/img]
[img]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHEyPTWI7TzDyXRRckZv-9t1b0SMWYWPG5OA&usqp=CAU[/img]
[img]https://cdn-vox--cdn-com.cdn.ampproject.org/i/s/cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/wVftzJ4ByIAOgVdr44f1lNjlPqM=/0x0:1440x960/1400x933/filters:focal(605x365:835x595):no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/71168852/AFR_Truss_Lift_7.0.jpg[/img]
[img]https://backend.liverpoolfc.com/sites/default/files/styles/xl/public/acquiadam/2023-03/anfield-road-update-09032023-4.jpg?itok=WjGUJgWJ[/img]
[img]https://i2-prod.liverpoolecho.co.uk/incoming/article27141854.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/0_LFC.jpg[/img]

As is probably obvious, the houses toward the front and right of the original image were bought up and razed to the ground to facilitate the expansion.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 148
Maringer
July 11, 2023, 10:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,671
Gold Stars: 189
Erm, to state the obvious, building a stand over the top of an existing one is likely to be considerably more expensive than just razing the old structure to the ground and then starting from scratch.

Brentford and Liverpool could afford it. We almost certainly can't.

It's a nice thought, but I can't see that ever being a goer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 148
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Show us the money

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.