Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby Town appeal against relegation
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 339 Guests

Grimsby Town appeal against relegation

This thread currently has 29,723 views. Print
18 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
arryarryarry
May 7, 2021, 4:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Because the clubs in that division have been saddled with a load more debt. It won’t take much of a shock to bring the whole pack of cards down.

No one else to blame if we end up there. That's what you get for being a crap team.
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 171
Hagrid
May 7, 2021, 4:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,389
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from arryarryarry

No one else to blame if we end up there. That's what you get for being a crap team.

it is our fault 100%

but i dont blame the club for asking, explains why nodding dog Day is still here
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 171
diehardmariner
May 7, 2021, 4:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,600
Gold Stars: 538
No-one else to blame for relegation, I agree.

But we're not talking about relegation are we.  We're talking, in this instance, about having a league to go into.  A league that can actually ensure it gets completed.  

Make no mistake, the Conference and everything below it is absolutely teetering on the brink at present.  It's a neither a secure or safe league to be in.  If we're in that league and it completely collapses in October, December, February, at any point, we're absolutely screwed.  That's it.  We've no league to play in.  Even a curtailed season because too many clubs can't complete fixtures leaves us screwed.  

If you think we're going to be challenging relegation this season, whoever finishes 23rd/24th next season will damn well be contesting going into a league that will see a third of the teams give up during the season, another third playing youth team players because that's all they can afford and the further third clawing to get out the god forsaken place.  
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 171
KingstonMariner
May 7, 2021, 4:21pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from arryarryarry

It’s not about blame. It’s about whether there is a secure league to go into.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 171
The Yard Dog
May 7, 2021, 4:36pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,498
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from fishcake63
We're down because over 46 games split between two managers we just haven't been good enough , would we really be proud of ourselves staying up this way , not for me i'd rather hit the ground running nxt season with a massive advantage on our main rivals who's season runs well into june , don't want to hear any excuses whatsoever top 3 & challenging for xmas or cheeerrrioo

I have no problem being relegated, what I do have a problem is how the National League has been run, during Covid-19.

Changing the goal posts during the season, no relegation from National League, but you have promotion, which breaks the National league own rules.

First NL clubs were going to get grants, then that changed to loans, to which some clubs felt was not viable

Some clubs have furlough some of their players, while still playing games, this weakens these teams.

Clubs being threaten with points deduction and fines if they do not fulfil they fixtutres.

Dover have made a stance and stopped playing, but have 12 pts deduction next season plus £40,000 fine

Jim Parmenter - Dover Chairman : “I am in particular disagreement that the executive appears to be encouraging clubs to take large loans to complete the season, as I have said twice at board meetings I believe that the competition rules are being broken by allowing the proposed loans, let alone encouraging them. (Page 155 Appendices 08 of the rule book).

“The league has for ten years insisted that clubs manage their financial affairs prudently and has had great success and received much praise for the results, now that is all to be thrown to the dogs and for what?

“I understand why the bigger, richer clubs with chances of promotion are pushing hard to continue, but in a sense they are asking smaller clubs with no crowds or income who are playing for no reason to take large loans and probably overstretch themselves with dire consequences, to subsidise the larger clubs ambitions. I do not agree with that position.

“The board has very little credibility as an organisation within our clubs and I believe the decision to send letters to clubs who find it difficult to play, threatening sanctions was ill-conceived and will do nothing to unite the competition in what continues to be a very divisive time. Even if the vote is to continue I do not believe that the league will be able to continue in any credible form or with integrity for another five months.

“There are some very good people on the board and I do not seek to criticise individuals, but as a body, I do not believe we have shown strong, relevant leadership. Our governance has descended into chaos and some decisions made by the board seem to change when interpreted by the executive.”

Is this not what all the fuss was about with the European Super League, the integrity of the football pyamid had to be protected.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 171
DB
May 7, 2021, 4:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,000
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from KingstonMariner

It’s not about blame. It’s about whether there is a secure league to go into.

This sums up why we should try to avoid the NL at all costs.

The NL has no integrity, no leadership, and is run on a whim. It misled its members about grants and then bullied clubs into fulfilling games. It failed to take action on clubs that furloughed players and put out weakened teams.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 171
DB
May 7, 2021, 4:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,000
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from Hagrid

it is our fault 100%

but i dont blame the club for asking, explains why nodding dog Day is still here

I like that description.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 171
Fillipe Noche
May 7, 2021, 5:01pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +3 / -21
Approval: -5,112
Gold Stars: 103
Firstly yes nobody outside the club during the season can be blamed for relegation.

That said, I’d love this appeal to be successful still, for obvious reasons.

Biggest issue I think the EFL will have with it is this. The basis of the appeal seems to be that nobody is getting relegated from the National League, but they are promoting two clubs. Grimsby and Southend feel that is unfair and compromises the integrity of the competition in the National League....

But by the same token, if the EFL then promotes 3 clubs from EFL2 but doesn’t relegate 2, then aren’t they doing exactly the same thing? Be difficult for the EFL to take any form of high ground wouldn’t it, as 2 wrongs really don’t make a right.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 171
TownSNAFU5
May 7, 2021, 5:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
"Than sums up why we should try to avoid the NL at all costs".

The trouble is, it appears that we did not try to avoid the NL at ANY cost.  Certainly not doing basic due diligence checks on Hollowhead was the final nail in the coffin.

We have been in NL before so know exactly how dire it is.  With Covid the risks are much greater.

Prevention is always better than cure.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 171
crusty ole pie
May 7, 2021, 5:29pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,325
Gold Stars: 66
Not sure if this has already been proposed but I think it would be fair to allow no relegation this year relegate 3 teams for the following two years while promoting 2 and there on 3 up 3 down
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 171
18 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby Town appeal against relegation

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.