Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby Town appeal against relegation
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 216 Guests

Grimsby Town appeal against relegation

This thread currently has 29,678 views. Print
18 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
StaffsMariner
May 7, 2021, 1:58pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +428
Gold Stars: 6
The only issue i have would be that of furloughing players so they could bring other players in. I know Chesterfield have done this but am unsure how many other clubs have (EFL or NL). It seems wrong to be able to do this (similar to making someone redundant and then employing someone else to do the same job).
Then theres the vote of no confidence by the NL clubs themselves and how that pans out.
What a strange old season its been
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 171
diehardmariner
May 7, 2021, 2:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,424
Gold Stars: 532
No issue with relegation on merit, come to terms with the fact we're looking at second spell in the fifth tier.

But I do have an issue with going into a league that won't be able to guarantee we've got fixtures to play.  The NL, through their own incompetence, have put clubs in a position where they're even more financially vulnerable.  Clubs were on their bottom at the beginning of this season and the NL went about saddling them with more financial burden, against their will.  They then held the gun to the heads of these teams to complete fixtures.  

That league will start with at most 23 teams next season.  I would be very confident that there will be at least one of those sides that goes to the wall within 12 months, such is the financial peril they're in.  I'm also realistic to expect that we're going to see further spikes in infection rates, arguably sooner rather than later.  The country has opened up and will continue to open up facilities that are frequented (in the majority) by people who have not had yet even their first vaccine.  A spike is inevitable.  With another spike comes further restrictions.  

Further restrictions means fans will be shut out from games again.    No fans means even more financial hardship for teams at the level without a TV deal and/or a fan base capable of supporting it by other means.  The National League is in ruin.

The Football League has a duty to make sure that anyone relegated from their league goes into a league that can guarantee a spot in a proper league.   The only thing the Conference could offer us and Southend as a guarantee is protection on our income should their season not complete.  Financially I don't think they're in a position to do that.  Don't be surprised if the legal challenge put to the EFL sees us (and Southend) remain in this league.  

Equally so a very strong challenge will be put to the EFL and NL by those teams who have won promotion.  There will be no justifiable grounds for denying entry so the FL will have to admit too.  

I wouldn't at all be surprised to see the aforementioned 26 team league next season.  For the embarrassment this may cause initially, I think once we see the National League implode relatively early we may well be grateful this route was taken...
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 171
Chrisblor
May 7, 2021, 2:01pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,764
Gold Stars: 233
I'm sure Stevenage are really dead embarrassed about finishing 23rd and not getting relegated last season.

Basically: yes, we deserve to be relegated, and if that's what happens then i'm fine with it, but if we get to stay up via some legal nonsense then cool, excellent, lovely stuff.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 171
Sandford1981
May 7, 2021, 2:10pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
The vitriol on here if this was a premier league club trying this would be off the chart.

‘Greed!’ ‘no integrity’, ‘bullies’, ‘who do they think they are?’ etc etc...

How quick some are to adjust their moral compass when they, as an extension of the club stand to benefit.

Poor form in my book!

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 171
MarshMariner
May 7, 2021, 2:30pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +471
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from Sandford1981
The vitriol on here if this was a premier league club trying this would be off the chart.

‘Greed!’ ‘no integrity’, ‘bullies’, ‘who do they think they are?’ etc etc...

How quick some are to adjust their moral compass when they, as an extension of the club stand to benefit.

Poor form in my book!

"No integrity" are you referring to the NL?  Not sure how you can compare this situation with the Premier League..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 171
fishcake63
May 7, 2021, 2:32pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,235
Gold Stars: 62
We're down because over 46 games split between two managers we just haven't been good enough , would we really be proud of ourselves staying up this way , not for me i'd rather hit the ground running nxt season with a massive advantage on our main rivals who's season runs well into june , don't want to hear any excuses whatsoever top 3 & challenging for xmas or cheeerrrioo
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 171
MarinerDevil
May 7, 2021, 2:36pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,706
Gold Stars: 80
I'm surprised this didn't crop up around the time that the NL vote happened.  Surely we would have had broader support from other clubs in the lower half of L2, instead of now being realistically one of just 2 clubs who have any appetite to take this further?  Doesn't look good that we're taking this action only after we know that we're a net loser; it's unlikely to make us any friends, that's for sure.

The one question I would be asking is: can the National League guarantee funding for the completion of next season's fixtures should matches need to be completed behind closed doors again?  If not, I would be arguing that it would be improper to admit us to a league that can provide no assurances of a full season of funding, which would be against the EFL's rules.  In any event, I can't see this going anywhere and I can't wait to wake up next season, with a new GTFC, pretending that this wretched soiled nappy of a year never happened.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 171
lew chaterleys lover
May 7, 2021, 2:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,652
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from Azimuth
Embaressing!

Apart from your spelling, why do you think that?

This is a legal matter or should be. The NL are the ones who are at fault - they have changed the rules of the competition part way through a season. Whoever gets promotion from that division will have benefited from playing sides who knew win lose or draw they would not get relegated, whilst we have had to fight for every single point.

It is well worth an appeal.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 171
May 7, 2021, 2:44pm
Guest User
anybody heard  what fine and point deduction Man Utd have had by not fulfilling a league fixture on the scheduled date, also  pitch invasion etc.
whether  you agree with the fans action or not , they still broke the rules. How quite the premiership/ FA  have been  on this. one law for.........
Reply: 48 - 171
Sandford1981
May 7, 2021, 2:49pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from MarshMariner

"No integrity" are you referring to the NL?  Not sure how you can compare this situation with the Premier League..

A lack of integrity is a lack of integrity irrespective of context but, I’m surmising with confidence that the reaction on here would be indignation in judgement of others trying to do the same as we are.

My view is that its not right for that reason.

I understand others will be perfectly happy to accept favour no matter how it comes but it’s not for me.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 171
18 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby Town appeal against relegation

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.