Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby Town appeal against relegation
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 205 Guests

Grimsby Town appeal against relegation

This thread currently has 29,546 views. Print
18 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
arryarryarry
May 15, 2021, 4:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,938
Gold Stars: 113
And I have to say, the right decision.
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 171
Theimperialcoroner
May 15, 2021, 4:15pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -3
Approval: +5,088
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from arryarryarry
And I have to say, the right decision.

However if the EFL turn round and say “you are not going down” I’m sure we’d graciously accept wouldn’t we?

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 171
pen penfras
May 15, 2021, 5:52pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -139
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Belfast Town
The right thing to do

Is it in the best interest of the club, which is what they're there to do?

I get that they want to distance themselves from the old board and come across as doing the right thing, but I don't see this being the right thing at all.

The NL clubs can hardly complain about it. They voted for the same thing, and any club that gets promotion taken away from them has ultimately had to suffer the same fate as they put the smaller clubs under when they voted to continue ie losing money for absolutely nothing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 171
MarinerWY
May 15, 2021, 7:15pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,947
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

However if the EFL turn round and say “you are not going down” I’m sure we’d graciously accept wouldn’t we?

For sure. It would feel a lot better that way though. I dunno, it didn't feel right us appealing. We were excrement, the club was a farce top to bottom. We deserve to go down, as much as I'm really not looking forward to a South-heavy league that's a fornicator to get out of.
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 171
Stadium
May 15, 2021, 7:29pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,913
Gold Stars: 19

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 171
aldi_01
May 16, 2021, 7:00am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from pen penfras

Is it in the best interest of the club, which is what they're there to do?

I get that they want to distance themselves from the old board and come across as doing the right thing, but I don't see this being the right thing at all.

The NL clubs can hardly complain about it. They voted for the same thing, and any club that gets promotion taken away from them has ultimately had to suffer the same fate as they put the smaller clubs under when they voted to continue ie losing money for absolutely nothing

Yes it is the best thing...we were the worst team in the football league. The more we find out the more we realise that it was a farce, the club was a joke and therefore we deserve to go down.

We can cry bottom all we want about the state of the conference but in truth the appeal would never have worked or been successful.

Should the EFL/conference decide otherwise in our absence then so be it but we all know that’s unlikely.

The new owners have made the right call and have done so with the best interest of the club...why pursue something that will inevitably turn out to be unsuccessful when that time, money and effort can be spent elsewhere on rectifying the years of intercourse ups and strategies to move us forward?

It’s hard to imagine the club doing that though, we’re used to the club pursuing things that are futile...PP anyone?

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 171
EY Mariner
May 16, 2021, 10:47am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +865
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from KingstonMariner
“As soon as they’ve done that they could have announced that the teams finished bottom start next season with a points deduction. That would have maintained the integrity of the league.” About 20 seconds in.

So I was right about what he said. I don’t know how you can miss that EY.

And you can’t get much less competitive than a team completely ceasing to play.

Again, you're missing the point. I'm not disputing what Cowling said. I just see it as a total nonsense. In seeking to maintain so-called integrity this season, the proposal would effectively distort the integrity of the league next season for no valid disciplinary reason. As far as I'm concerned, it's not credible and I'd question whether it would be legal either. At least our club has had the good sense to now bow to reality.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 171
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 16, 2021, 11:07am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from arryarryarry
Irrelevant now.

The board have agreed to stop the appeal.

Does this have anything to do with Day’s rapid exit?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 171
arryarryarry
May 16, 2021, 12:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,938
Gold Stars: 113

Does this have anything to do with Day’s rapid exit?

I wondered that as well. Listening to RH yesterday afternoon in discussion with a Trustee board member (I can't remember her name) I believe she suggested that the decision to appeal was made by Fenty and Day and not the new owners.
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 171
KingstonMariner
May 16, 2021, 12:53pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from EY Mariner

Again, you're missing the point. I'm not disputing what Cowling said. I just see it as a total nonsense. In seeking to maintain so-called integrity this season, the proposal would effectively distort the integrity of the league next season for no valid disciplinary reason. As far as I'm concerned, it's not credible and I'd question whether it would be legal either. At least our club has had the good sense to now bow to reality.

EY: What I don't understand is why he thinks deducting points from teams at the bottom of the National League is justified.

KM: He was saying if the sides at the bottom knew they would have points deducted next season, they would have had something to play got this season despite there being no relegation.

EY:  Points deductions imply the clubs on the receiving end have broken the rules in some way. Taking Dover out of the equation, given their case is pending, I don't see what rules the clubs in what would have been the National League's relegation places have broken. So I don't see the justification for it. It's not the National League clubs' fault that the North and South voted for null and void.

KM: It wasn’t suggested as a punishment. What he was saying is that when the NL voted to end relegation this season, they should have retained some jeopardy for the teams who otherwise would’ve been at risk of going down, to make sure that all teams continued to be competitive.

EY: But even if you're right, and having listened to the clip several times I don't think you are

If that doesn’t mean that you didn’t understand what Cowling said, I don’t know what does. We can all disagree on the essential arguments, but you clearly did not understand what the guy was saying.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 171
18 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby Town appeal against relegation

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.