Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby Town appeal against relegation
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 213 Guests

Grimsby Town appeal against relegation

This thread currently has 29,719 views. Print
18 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
arryarryarry
May 7, 2021, 11:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from diehardmariner
No-one else to blame for relegation, I agree.

But we're not talking about relegation are we.  We're talking, in this instance, about having a league to go into.  A league that can actually ensure it gets completed.  

Make no mistake, the Conference and everything below it is absolutely teetering on the brink at present. It's a neither a secure or safe league to be in.  If we're in that league and it completely collapses in October, December, February, at any point, we're absolutely screwed.  That's it.  We've no league to play in.  Even a curtailed season because too many clubs can't complete fixtures leaves us screwed.  

If you think we're going to be challenging relegation this season, whoever finishes 23rd/24th next season will damn well be contesting going into a league that will see a third of the teams give up during the season, another third playing youth team players because that's all they can afford and the further third clawing to get out the god forsaken place.  

Well it looks like it is going to complete this season with only one club defaulting on its fixtures so nowhere near as bad as some were suggesting on here.

Like I have posted elsewhere, if the 2021-22 National League starts and then goes mammaries up whilst we are in it we do have only ourselves to blame, no one else. There will be many clubs as big as ours that will suffer as well, so why should we be spared that misery. Plus those clubs that finished top and wins the play-offs deserve to be in the EFL.
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 171
ginnywings
May 7, 2021, 11:37pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,112
Gold Stars: 548
Said it at the time that as soon as the second round of funding wasn't forthcoming, the NL should have been scrapped. It would never have started had the teams known they wouldn't get any further monies.

The EFL should have stepped in at that point and told them to give it up as it's not been a league with any integrity since that weighted voting system was put in place.

Then there's the Dover expunged results to consider. Some teams had played them and some hadn't, so that affects the final standings in an arbitrary way.

The league is run by people whose members have given them a vote of no confidence and the whole league is operating against it's own rules.

There is definitely a cause for an appeal, though I doubt it would be successful as they will all just carry on regardless, despite the obvious faults with the league structure.

If the impossible did happen and we got a reprieve, I wouldn't bat an eyelid and would consider it a bullet well and truly dodged.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 171
louth_in_the_south
May 7, 2021, 11:46pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,672
Gold Stars: 94
Maybe the EFL should go back in time and have a vote on relegation/ promotion.
The promise of boxes of fish when they come to BP might just keep us up

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 171
DB
May 7, 2021, 11:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,997
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from ginnywings
Said it at the time that as soon as the second round of funding wasn't forthcoming, the NL should have been scrapped. It would never have started had the teams known they wouldn't get any further monies.

The EFL should have stepped in at that point and told them to give it up as it's not been a league with any integrity since that weighted voting system was put in place.

Then there's the Dover expunged results to consider. Some teams had played them and some hadn't, so that affects the final standings in an arbitrary way.

The league is run by people whose members have given them a vote of no confidence and the whole league is operating against it's own rules.

There is definitely a cause for an appeal, though I doubt it would be successful as they will all just carry on regardless, despite the obvious faults with the league structure.

If the impossible did happen and we got a reprieve, I wouldn't bat an eyelid and would consider it a bullet well and truly dodged.

I absolutely agree with your above comments. Unfortunately, the people in power in the NL have their heads firmly stuck up the backsides of those 6/7 clubs wanting to move to the promised land. Those members of the NL board who don't have stuck there's in the sand like the proverbial ostrich; all of which will not be seen until August when they hope their chaos will be behind them.

Brian Barwick meanwhile must have spoken to olloway for advice and jumped ship; like his adviser leaving his mess behind him.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 171
KingstonMariner
May 8, 2021, 8:38am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from arryarryarry

No, you are missing my point, whatever happens to the National League, if it all goes mammaries up whilst we are in it, don't blame them blame the twits who took us down.

I think we look like twits even appealing.

No one said there was no blame attached to those in charge of GTFC. And no one said the appeal was because anyone was to blame. The point is that the NL is not stable.

So you were arguing against something no one had said!

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 171
ginnywings
May 8, 2021, 9:20am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,112
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from KingstonMariner

No one said there was no blame attached to those in charge of GTFC. And no one said the appeal was because anyone was to blame. The point is that the NL is not stable.

So you were arguing against something no one had said!

Seems to be his raison d'etre.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 171
SalsaE70
May 8, 2021, 9:34am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: -90
Gold Stars: 1
Imp in peace.... hope you guys bounce back soon. Need Lincolnshire teams to be strong once again.... all the best for the NL
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 171
SheepGTFC
May 8, 2021, 9:39am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +278
Gold Stars: 6
So does this appeal have legs or is it a total shot in the dark?

We got relegated fair and square. We were bad. But I would love to stay in the league.

Reading up on what happened in the National League this season shows that the current custodians of that league are not fit for purpose to run it.

Guess it's just a matter to wait and see.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 171
GollyGTFC
May 8, 2021, 9:58am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from SheepGTFC
So does this appeal have legs or is it a total shot in the dark?

We got relegated fair and square. We were bad. But I would love to stay in the league.

Reading up on what happened in the National League this season shows that the current custodians of that league are not fit for purpose to run it.

Guess it's just a matter to wait and see.

Depends how far GTFC & Southend are willing to go (UK Courts or Court of Arbitration for Sport?). And what the EFL rules say about relegated clubs having a competition to play in and whether the NL can prove that their league is stable & would be able to take place next season if there was another ban on supporters attending in person.

Could there be a compromise? A 26 team L2 next season with 1 club promoted automatically, 3 clubs relegated automatically & a 6 team play-off involving 2nd to 6th in the NL & 23rd in L2?

Finances from a EFL point of view aren't an issue. SUFC & GTFC would be receiving the full L2 TV money next season as a parachute payment anyway. The PL solidarity payments would be an issue as the budget is for 24 teams and not 26. Maybe Grimsby & Southend would accept no solidarity payments?

4 extra fixtures seem a lot but the league is starting 6 weeks earlier this season so it wouldn't cause a massive issue squeezing in another 4 midweeks dates to what is already planned for the 2021/22 season.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 88 - 171
pontoonlew
May 8, 2021, 10:11am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,997
Gold Stars: 171
I think the saving grace could be the fact it won’t be just us and Southend involved here, I imagine a few clubs would’ve been on board when the NLN/S season was curtailed just in case.

I think there’s absolutely no chance though and I’m a bit disappointed Southend decided to leak this, gives unnecessary hope.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 171
18 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby Town appeal against relegation

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.