Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby Town appeal against relegation
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 263 Guests

Grimsby Town appeal against relegation

This thread currently has 29,728 views. Print
18 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
May 7, 2021, 2:55pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
I think it's the wrong argument. We should be pushing for 3 up 3 down in League 2, not 4 up and 2 down. The National League is now a League 3 in all but name, the League should expand to absorb it, and have a 96 team FL.

Shame it wasn't 3 down this year otherwise Scunny would probably have joined us on the subterranean journey.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 50 - 171
KingstonMariner
May 7, 2021, 3:06pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Sandford1981

A lack of integrity is a lack of integrity irrespective of context but, I’m surmising with confidence that the reaction on here would be indignation in judgement of others trying to do the same as we are.

My view is that its not right for that reason.

I understand others will be perfectly happy to accept favour no matter how it comes but it’s not for me.

I understand your reservations about this, but I think DHM expressed the situation very well in his two posts above.

In short, the legal challenge would be that the FL have a covenant not to relegate teams if there isn’t a viable league for those clubs to play in. This comes from the agreement with the non-League organisation to have automatic relegation and promotion.

The NL on their side also have an obligation to provide a guaranteed, viable competition. They might not be able to fulfill this obligation.

The shaky financial situation of NL clubs means that they are much less resilient to a new shock, be it third/4th wave of Covid19, some new virus or something else.

Then there are the genuine question marks over the fitness of the NL board to run the competition given the way they handled communications regarding the government assistance.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 171
GollyGTFC
May 7, 2021, 3:08pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,962
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from GrimRob
I think it's the wrong argument. We should be pushing for 3 up 3 down in League 2, not 4 up and 2 down. The National League is now a League 3 in all but name, the League should expand to absorb it, and have a 96 team FL.

Shame it wasn't 3 down this year otherwise Scunny would probably have joined us on the subterranean journey.

That's a great idea, but where's the extra TV money for L3 going to come from? L2 clubs get around £475,000 a season.

And are the PL going to expand their solidarity payments to cover another division?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 52 - 171
GollyGTFC
May 7, 2021, 3:11pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,962
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from MarinerDevil
I'm surprised this didn't crop up around the time that the NL vote happened.  Surely we would have had broader support from other clubs in the lower half of L2, instead of now being realistically one of just 2 clubs who have any appetite to take this further?  Doesn't look good that we're taking this action only after we know that we're a net loser; it's unlikely to make us any friends, that's for sure.

The one question I would be asking is: can the National League guarantee funding for the completion of next season's fixtures should matches need to be completed behind closed doors again?  If not, I would be arguing that it would be improper to admit us to a league that can provide no assurances of a full season of funding, which would be against the EFL's rules.  In any event, I can't see this going anywhere and I can't wait to wake up next season, with a new GTFC, pretending that this wretched soiled nappy of a year never happened.

This is the issue.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 53 - 171
arryarryarry
May 7, 2021, 3:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,044
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from DocDock
Nah, we were rubbish all season, we deserve to go down to be honest. And if by some miracle we stayed up we’d have no right to call the likes of Stevenage who fortuitously stayed up themselves.

Absolutely.

If true and if it fails we will be the laughing stock not only of the EFL but the National League.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 171
Brazilnut
May 7, 2021, 3:21pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 30
It will all pan out  with after Town finish bottom .....  arguments will be made and the following compromise  will be announced

Due to 1 club  refusing to fulfil fixtures in the the NL then 1 promotion place will be rescinded

But  the EFL could not justify failing to reward the Champions of the NL

So Southend stay up  and Town go down  !!!

Thats a Town Life

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 171
arryarryarry
May 7, 2021, 3:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,044
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I understand your reservations about this, but I think DHM expressed the situation very well in his two posts above.

In short, the legal challenge would be that the FL have a covenant not to relegate teams if there isn’t a viable league for those clubs to play in. This comes from the agreement with the non-League organisation to have automatic relegation and promotion.

The NL on their side also have an obligation to provide a guaranteed, viable competition. They might not be able to fulfill this obligation.

The shaky financial situation of NL clubs means that they are much less resilient to a new shock, be it third/4th wave of Covid19, some new virus or something else.

Then there are the genuine question marks over the fitness of the NL board to run the competition given the way they handled communications regarding the government assistance.

Looks like they are doing it this season so why not next when hopefully there wont be the problems all teams have had due to covid?

The simple fact is two managers have failed to keep us in the EFL, we deserve to go down as do two teams in the NL deserve to be promoted.
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 171
Sandford1981
May 7, 2021, 3:31pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from KingstonMariner

You’re working on the misconception I don’t understand the points raised. I do and as ever they’re more eloquently put than I could manage.
I just don’t agree with it, however you or anyone else dress it up.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 171
KingstonMariner
May 7, 2021, 3:54pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Sandford1981

You’re working on the misconception I don’t understand the points raised. I do and as ever they’re more eloquently put than I could manage.
I just don’t agree with it, however you or anyone else dress it up.

It’s not dressing it up.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 171
KingstonMariner
May 7, 2021, 3:55pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

Looks like they are doing it this season so why not next when hopefully there wont be the problems all teams have had due to covid?

The simple fact is two managers have failed to keep us in the EFL, we deserve to go down as do two teams in the NL deserve to be promoted.

Because the clubs in that division have been saddled with a load more debt. It won’t take much of a shock to bring the whole pack of cards down.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 171
18 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby Town appeal against relegation

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.