Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby Town appeal against relegation
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 410 Guests

Grimsby Town appeal against relegation

This thread currently has 29,724 views. Print
18 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Theimperialcoroner
May 7, 2021, 11:45am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,198
Gold Stars: 102
There’s not one of us who would not accept staying in the league, however stinky in the way it might happen.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 171
mimma
May 7, 2021, 11:46am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78
What would happen to us if we go down but because of the shambles and litigation the National League goes bust halfway through the season? We would be left with no league to play in and no chance of getting back into the league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 171
lukeo
May 7, 2021, 12:01pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
There’s not one of us who would not accept staying in the league, however stinky in the way it might happen.

Actually you're wrong.
If its a case of us or them then I say we should rightfullly go down.
Iie if Torquay win the NL they come up, we go down. If there is a way we can stay up without them being effected then I say YES PLEASE!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 171
Poojah
May 7, 2021, 12:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,493
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from lukeo

Actually you're wrong.
If its a case of us or them then I say we should rightfullly go down.
Iie if Torquay win the NL they come up, we go down. If there is a way we can stay up without them being effected then I say YES PLEASE!

There's absolutely no way that any scenario here can end without promotion from the National League. Club's voted to continue and accrue costs on the basis that they could be promoted; reneging on that would rightly and vehemently be challenged legally, with a successful outcome I would imagine. But no one's going to play that card.

The only argument to be had is that it is unjust to relegate clubs into a division which has issues over both its stability and integrity, given that there is to be no relegation for clubs in that league this season. It's a very thin argument, and one I don't expect to be successful, but in the highly unlikely event that it were come to pass it would be effectively 'victimless'. Except, perhaps, for whoever finishes third bottom over the course of the next two seasons, which is one area where the proposed 'solution' already starts to unravel.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 171
RichMariner
May 7, 2021, 12:15pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
Quoted from marinerdazza
The NL is a complete shambles and has lost its integrity.

We were by some margin the worst team in the league and deserve to go down.

I don't know how you reconcile these two facts.

This is the problem, in a nutshell. Just because we're challenging the EFL and NL, and asking the question, it doesn't mean we're claiming that we don't deserve to go down. I'm sure both Grimsby and Southend will hold their hands up and say, based on football results, we are the two worst clubs and so deserve to finish 23rd and 24th.

But do we deserve to be relegated into a division that has potentially broken its own rules, and whose integrity has been called into serious question? That's the argument.

I don't like the idea of us staying up on a technicality, or whatever you want to call it, and be known like Stevenage as benefiting from a reprieve. I don't think any of us are comfortable with that.

But let's say we are successful, and that means Torquay, Sutton or whoever can't come up. Those clubs, and their fans, shouldn't be directing any frustration at us and Southend; it should be 100% at the competition, which allowed a situation to evolve that should never have happened. It's all on the NL board (and maybe a bit on the EFL, who should have sought more clarity at what it would mean for the bottom two of the 72.

Anyway, let me reiterate - I don't feel entirely comfortable about the idea of benefiting from this appeal, and I fully acknowledge that we deserve to be relegated on results.

Best case scenario - we win the case, stay up, but feel a bit awkward about it.

Worst case - we lose the case, start next season in the NL, which is still governed by idiots.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 34 - 171
Heswall Mariner
May 7, 2021, 12:40pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +590
Gold Stars: 30
Nah - it won't happen.
Safend & Us were the 2 worst teams over the season.
Bite the bullet & accept the situation - fair & square.
Start now to prepare for next season in the NL with the feel good factor most of us now have.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 171
Azimuth
May 7, 2021, 1:12pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +695
Gold Stars: 60
Embaressing!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 171
Son of Cod
May 7, 2021, 1:21pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
They need to tell us what's going on here. It this is a result of the old regime, fair enough. If it's the new owners though, they need to explain this decision surely? We don't even know if this is true yet, do we?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 171
DB
May 7, 2021, 1:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,000
Gold Stars: 386
This problem started months ago by us and the NL. Our problem was we failed to get enough points to stay up and on merit should go down under a normal situation.

The NL problem was and still is they started to run a two-tier National League when they announced no relegation. There became no incentive, whatsoever, for teams in the lower half to perform well on the pitch. Win or lose they were going nowhere and became bullied by the NL board to fulfil the fixture list.

Teams at the top have spent to try to get promotion and you have to wonder what their finances will be like next year if they don't get promoted. The NL this year is a mockery of bad governance and the FA should tell them that. Likewise, the EFL should also get to grips with the NL and tell them no promotion this year you bend your own rules too much.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 171
Grimsby2012
May 7, 2021, 1:43pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -8
Approval: -1,466
Gold Stars: 22
I'm on the fence with this one.

I see both sides of the arugments.

We have been poor most of the season. We are lucky to have the finances to compete in the National League as opposed to a lot of clubs down there.

On the other side, it can be seen as unfair for NL to have no relegations yet allow promotions.

Again, the counter arguement to that would be that promotions from league to should also be banned...

However. It should be based on whether a club finantially depends on staying up, to which we do not... Currently...

I blocked seeing red ticks years ago so go ahead   If I don't reply to you then i didn't read your replies  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 171
18 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby Town appeal against relegation

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.