Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby Town appeal against relegation
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 192 Guests

Grimsby Town appeal against relegation

This thread currently has 29,679 views. Print
18 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
RonMariner
May 8, 2021, 10:48am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,541
Gold Stars: 224
It is a long shot, but worth a try.

To the point some posters have made regarding the impact cancelling L2 relegation would have on the integrity of the league, I would say this. There is a world of difference between cancelling relegation at the end of the season when all the games have been played, and doing so mid way through the season.

For perhaps half of the NL teams, i.e. those with no chance of a play-off place, the second half of the season effectively comprised little more than friendlies in empty stadiums. No real incentive to put out a full strength team. In those circumstances perhaps half the results in the season were arbitrary and meaningless for one or more participants. That does not sound to me like a competitive league operating properly.

Whether that will sway the EFL is unknown. But, like some others have pointed out, my fear is that we drop into a division which, through no fault of our own, might well cease functioning properly next season, thereby preventing us returning to the EFL no matter how well we do on the pitch. So any chance of avoiding relegation should be explored even though our results this season certainly do mean that we deserve to go down.  

Fenty's long shadow will hang over us for some time yet.    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 171
Poojah
May 8, 2021, 10:51am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,425
Gold Stars: 1,499
Quoted from RonMariner
Fenty's long shadow will hang over us for some time yet.

Who?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 171
RonMariner
May 8, 2021, 10:57am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,541
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from Poojah

Who?

The handyman that changes the floodlight bulbs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 171
Yossarian
May 8, 2021, 4:23pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,074
Gold Stars: 18
This is just embarrassing for the football club.  We have been crap all season, ended up where we deserved to end up and now are trying to "ESL" our way out of it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 171
WetFlannel
May 8, 2021, 7:21pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +395
Gold Stars: 7
Obviously, if it’s between ourselves and Southend and Torquay and whoever wins the playoffs, the latter deserve to go up and we deserve to go down. However, with the situation in the National League at the moment, you’d think it would be fair to allow promotion as normal, whilst keeping the two clubs up. A one time only ‘26 clubs, four go down to the national league’ scenario. It would only result in the club finishing 23rd next year complaining that ‘we wouldn’t be down fourth bottom normally’... but they’d still be the 23rd best club in the league, which already results in relegation. Plus, 4 more fixtures for clubs after a year without fans could be a good idea. This seems like a fair way of treating it, but tbh so does just allowing relegation to me.

The national league would definitely not want two clubs to go up and none to go down and wouldn’t agree to it anyway. But still, I kinda like the idea.

Of course, for people who would truly want to watch the world burn, a situation where we have a ‘League 2 North and South’, the 24 League 2/NL teams split into 2, with the top ten (non promoted) teams of each going into League 2 the season after would be perhaps the most unfair, but also most hilarious, solution imaginable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 171
Trickytrev
May 8, 2021, 8:38pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +117
Check out the statement from Jason Stockwood on the GTFC page.

Not sure if this link will work as I don't use Twitter  

https://twitter.com/jstockwood/status/1391092868866007041/photo/1
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 171
Poojah
May 8, 2021, 8:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,425
Gold Stars: 1,499
Quoted from Trickytrev
Check out the statement from Jason Stockwood on the GTFC page.

Not sure if this link will work as I don't use Twitter  

https://twitter.com/jstockwood/status/1391092868866007041/photo/1

If it’s a case of it coming down to a vote then you would have to imagine it’s unlikely others will vote in our favour. Certainly no League Two club is going to vote for a scenario that would mean an increase in the number of relegation places over the course of the next season or two. Turkeys and Christmas and all that.

Again, it’s worth asking the question but I think most would concede this is the longest of long shots.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 171
TownSNAFU5
May 8, 2021, 9:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,860
Gold Stars: 42
If we very very fortunate and the appeal was successful, we should have no qualms about surviving.on moral grounds.  It would be decided by others.  Clubs purposely go into Administration to survive and avoid paying debts due.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 171
bawarmy
May 8, 2021, 10:17pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,962
Gold Stars: 31
I don’t understand how the National league can call the shots on this.
No one is going down from our leagues but we still expect the other league to let our teams go up?

I’d think this even if we wasn’t the ones going down.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 171
EY Mariner
May 9, 2021, 12:14am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +865
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from bawarmy
I don’t understand how the National league can call the shots on this.
No one is going down from our leagues but we still expect the other league to let our teams go up?

I’d think this even if we wasn’t the ones going down.

But how can the National League relegate teams to divisions a majority of whose clubs voted to null and void their season with fewer than half of their fixtures played? This, in my mind, is the key problem that any attempt to avoid relegation can't overcome. However unstable it may appear to be, ourselves and Southend do have a league to go into next season. Clubs like King's Lynn and Barnet, who would be looking at relegation from the National League under normal circumstances, effectively would not because of the null and void vote, which the FA subsequently ratified.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 171
18 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby Town appeal against relegation

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.