Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby Town appeal against relegation
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 186 Guests

Grimsby Town appeal against relegation

This thread currently has 29,676 views. Print
18 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Mikey_345
May 7, 2021, 5:47pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,308
Gold Stars: 100
Must admit I’m a bit torn on this at the minute.

However it is an argument I was pushing back in January that would undoubtedly come up whoever gets relegated.l, on one of our many long running NL threads.

For me, there is no harm in simply asking a question. It is for others to decide, not GTFC or Southend.

There is most certainly a valid argument to be had in terms of league integrity.

The EFL have their own rules on relegating clubs out of their structure in to a league with no sporting integrity. So they must rule on that.

So I think that’s the crux of the issue.

Do the EFL believe a NL with scores of furloughed players and volunteers in their place, an arguable breach of their own funding rules and no competition re relegation form enough of a concern regards sporting integrity?

I know my opinion, on balance is probably yes it does. However the EFL are another matter.

In terms of caring if we stay up on a technicality I’d like to think I would care about that. But know I’m probably like most fans and will have forgotten about that in 5 minutes.

The debate about no promotion/relegation within the EFL is abit of a red herring.

League two is part of EFL structure of leagues. So it’s slightly different and not comparable to this situation.  

Even if it was, there was no cancellation of relegation pre the end of the season so there’s no competition argument.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 171
arryarryarry
May 7, 2021, 6:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from KingstonMariner

It’s not about blame. It’s about whether there is a secure league to go into.

Of course it's about blame. We shoudn't have been in this position of facing relegation to the National League.
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 171
lukeo
May 7, 2021, 6:10pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,294
Gold Stars: 134
Imagine for whatever reason they allow us to stay in the FL then us and Southend get promoted to league 1.. Imagine the uproar from other teams 😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 171
KingstonMariner
May 7, 2021, 7:59pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from arryarryarry

Of course it's about blame. We shoudn't have been in this position of facing relegation to the National League.

No. You’re missing the point about reasons for the appeal. It’s not blaming anyone for our relegation.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 171
lew chaterleys lover
May 7, 2021, 8:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,652
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from arryarryarry

I think it's two different arguments. I totally agree with you that we should not have been put into this position by Fenty, but this is whether the league we have been relegated to is stable enough.

Imagine next season we are sailing along nicely at Xmas, top of the league maybe and then the  NL folds because clubs have taken on too much debt that the NL insisted on. Then what would happen? Up a creek without a paddle.

In any event, we have got to ask the question.
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 171
GollyGTFC
May 7, 2021, 8:21pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356

I think it's two different arguments. I totally agree with you that we should not have been put into this position by Fenty, but this is whether the league we have been relegated to is stable enough.

Imagine next season we are sailing along nicely at Xmas, top of the league maybe and then the  NL folds because clubs have taken on too much debt that the NL insisted on. Then what would happen? Up a creek without a paddle.

In any event, we have got to ask the question.

I think the real concern is if there has to be a ban on fans again in the winter. What happens then?

And I said this months ago...

The EFL should not be relegating anyone to the NL unless there is a concrete plan and guaranteed funding for the 2021/22 season if the worst happens and it's no fans again.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 75 - 171
MuddyWaters
May 7, 2021, 8:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
We totally deserve to be relegated, of course we do, but not one of us would argue if our appeal was successful, would we?
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 171
Eastendmariner
May 7, 2021, 9:42pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +940
Gold Stars: 22
the league doesn't lie we should go down

But we are entering a structure that is not well run and seems to make it's own rules as they go along this creates CHAOS  I'm afraid  no clear rules and a state of uncertainty

UN professional, lets face it we've had a club badly run why should we accept a badly run league haven't we been through and suffered enough

Can't see reprieve but at least the EFL are reminded our fears  UTM

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 171
GrimRob
May 7, 2021, 9:44pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from GollyGTFC

That's a great idea, but where's the extra TV money for L3 going to come from? L2 clubs get around £475,000 a season.

And are the PL going to expand their solidarity payments to cover another division?

League 2 might get that money but it's for other divisions being on TV, a televised match in the lower two divisions is a rarety, even in these days of blanket football on TV. L1, L2 and L3 could negotiate their own TV deal, I can't pretend to know what it would bring in financially but it would be a lot more attractive to the fans of lower divisions sides than the current offering of incessant Prem and Champ games. The National League coverage shows there is a market for lower league football, and there are some far larger areas of population spread over the 96 clubs than just the NL Prem that BT sport cover.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 78 - 171
arryarryarry
May 7, 2021, 10:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from KingstonMariner

No. You’re missing the point about reasons for the appeal. It’s not blaming anyone for our relegation.

No, you are missing my point, whatever happens to the National League, if it all goes mammaries up whilst we are in it, don't blame them blame the twits who took us down.

I think we look like twits even appealing.
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 171
18 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby Town appeal against relegation

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.