Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › TV Times
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 21 Guests

TV Times

This thread currently has 14,767 views. Print
32 Pages Prev ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 Next All Recommend Thread
OddShapedBalls
February 3, 2023, 9:54am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Sandford1981
The Punisher
7.5/10

After exacting revenge on those responsible for the death of his wife and children, Frank Castle uncovers a conspiracy that runs far deeper than New York's criminal underworld. Now known throughout the city as The Punisher, he must discover the truth about injustices that affect more than his family alone.

I enjoyed this and motored through the first season which at 13 episodes is on the unnecessarily long side. I immediately got through the first 3 of the second and found that it’s very repetitive. Perhaps I’ll come back to it at a later point but maybe not. It’s very easy watching and entertaining enough for sure with that weird mix of cartoonish like characters but with gratuitous violence. A bit like Pennyworth and the Kick behind films in feel perhaps. Enjoy it for what it is which is bull5hit but for the most part enjoyable bull5hit!

I thought the first series was brilliant to be honest, the second you are quite correct it's like they just dusted off the same scripts from series 1 and changed a few names lol.  It is easy watching for a bit of action/adventure though

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 230 - 318
Sandford1981
February 3, 2023, 1:59pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.96
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,099
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from OddShapedBalls

I thought the first series was brilliant to be honest, the second you are quite correct it's like they just dusted off the same scripts from series 1 and changed a few names lol.  It is easy watching for a bit of action/adventure though

It’s done me a favour to be fair as I’ve picked ‘The Americans’ again after a break. It’s exactly what I needed. Ginny recommended it a while back and I binged a load and then had burn out but in my opinion it’s one of the best series ever. I’m really enjoying it again that’s for sure and is a great antidote to all out action.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 231 - 318
Sandford1981
February 6, 2023, 7:09am
Fine Wine Drinker
Happy Valley
9.5/10

Yorkshire-based crime drama centering on the personal and professional life of Police Sergeant Catherine Cawood.

If this was an American series shown on HBO it would get rave reviews and a much wider audience. For me I think it’s of the highest quality. The series concluded last night and it was great although, I’m disappointed there won’t be more.
The cast is superb but Sarah Lancashire and James Norton particularly strong throughout. I’ve said before that we often do ourselves down the n comparison to those over the pond but this is brilliant British drama at its very best.

Private Message
Reply: 232 - 318
ginnywings
February 7, 2023, 2:30am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Sandford1981
Happy Valley
9.5/10

Yorkshire-based crime drama centering on the personal and professional life of Police Sergeant Catherine Cawood.

If this was an American series shown on HBO it would get rave reviews and a much wider audience. For me I think it’s of the highest quality. The series concluded last night and it was great although, I’m disappointed there won’t be more.
The cast is superb but Sarah Lancashire and James Norton particularly strong throughout. I’ve said before that we often do ourselves down the n comparison to those over the pond but this is brilliant British drama at its very best.

Just finished watching it and I agree whole heartedly.

I did read a review of it in the Hollywood Reporter, and they think highly of it and Sarah Lancashire too, so it is known over the pond.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 233 - 318
Sandford1981
February 7, 2023, 7:30am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Just finished watching it and I agree whole heartedly.

I did read a review of it in the Hollywood Reporter, and they think highly of it and Sarah Lancashire too, so it is known over the pond.

A Leeds fan I know thinks Catherine Cawood should be their new gaffer! 😂

Private Message
Reply: 234 - 318
diehardmariner
February 7, 2023, 9:57am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,794
Gold Stars: 545
I was late to the Happy Valley love-in and only caught the first two series the back end of last year.  Suppose in some ways that was quite nice as it allowed me to binge those and then go quite quickly into the third series.

Excellent throughout but I thought the ending left a few unanswered questions a bit, which I was expecting to be tied up.  

But we definitely have a flair for true gritty drama here.  Both ITV and the Beeb continually produce some genuinely brilliant shows.
Private Message
Reply: 235 - 318
Sandford1981
February 16, 2023, 10:34pm
Fine Wine Drinker
The Gold
8.5/10

Drama series inspired by true events surrounding the 1983 Brink's-Mat robbery, and the remarkable story that followed. The Gold takes a pulsating journey into a 1980's world awash with cheap money and loosened morals to tell an extraordinary and epic tale.

I read the book ‘The Curse of Brinks-Mat’ some years ago and remember thinking it would be a great film. It reminded me of the Rettendon murders in the mid 90s which I read a lot about too.
I’d missed any previews in my monthly film mag which is bizarre so I was really excited to see a series about it last week. I think the Beeb have nailed it again. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing from start to finish. It has a quiet confidence to it and is understated knowing the story and great cast can hold it up. Id definitely recommend it to anyone!

Private Message
Reply: 236 - 318
ginnywings
February 24, 2023, 6:39pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
A confession 8.5/10.

Starring Martin Freeman and Joe Absolom, this true story is about the disappearance of a young woman on a night out with her mates in Swindon. The mystery is fairly quickly solved, but the ramifications of the case rumble on for years.

It becomes a study in the hierarchy of the police force, police procedure and the judiciary, and it's a sad and fascinating story, well told and well acted.

It's available on ITV Player and recommended.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 237 - 318
Sandford1981
February 24, 2023, 10:08pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
A confession 8.5/10.

Starring Martin Freeman and Joe Absolom, this true story is about the disappearance of a young woman on a night out with her mates in Swindon. The mystery is fairly quickly solved, but the ramifications of the case rumble on for years.

It becomes a study in the hierarchy of the police force, police procedure and the judiciary, and it's a sad and fascinating story, well told and well acted.

It's available on ITV Player and recommended.

We really enjoyed this too!👍🏻

Private Message
Reply: 238 - 318
Sandford1981
February 25, 2023, 7:57am
Fine Wine Drinker
Better
7/10

A corrupt police detective has a painful moral awakening and decides to put right 20 years of wrongdoing.

I had relatively low expectations for this show because it had little fanfare and at best, mixed reviews. This series is far from perfect, is not line of duty or happy valley and is not particularly groundbreaking but we enjoyed it nonetheless. Perhaps the biggest influence on that was my lack of expectations but, it was decent enough. Don’t rush to watch it but if like us you need something to put on - give it a whirl.

Private Message
Reply: 239 - 318
32 Pages Prev ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › TV Times

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.