Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › TV Times
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 23 Guests

TV Times

This thread currently has 14,740 views. Print
32 Pages Prev ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 Next All Recommend Thread
Sandford1981
March 24, 2023, 4:44pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,099
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from ginnywings
Manhunt series 2. 9/10.

I wouldn't normally watch anything starring Marin Clunes as he generally plays a type of character that doesn't appeal to me, but he's perfect for the role of DCI Colin Sutton, who was a real life detective, and the 2 series are based on his memoirs.

I watched the first one some time back, which concerned the murder of a French student and I enjoyed it, but the second one is a bit longer and even better.

It deals with the hunt for a serial burglar and rapist whose victims were generally old women, some in their 80's. Because of faults by the authorities, he managed to carry out hundreds of offences of a period of 17 years, and Sutton is brought onto the case to give it a fresh pair of eyes and is to be his last job before retiring.

He sets about about in his unassuming way to taking over the case and trying a different approach to what has gone on before. He comes up with a strategy involving lots of officers and surveillance, which is very time consuming and expensive, so it's a bit of a race against time to catch the culprit before the plug is pulled on his operation.

I really enjoyed this series and the fact it is a true story adds to the tension. Thoroughly recommended.

I can’t disagree with any of that and we thoroughly enjoyed both seasons.
I haven’t got round to The Walk In yet so thanks for the write up, I don’t think you’ve failed me yet with a recommendation.
I have reached the end season (though I haven’t started it yet) of The Americans. I don’t really want it to finish so it’s bittersweet. It’s right up there with the best tv ever and my in laws have started it and love it too.
I see Pennyworth has been cancelled by the way, having already moved once I think that is that. I haven’t started the 3rd yet. Did you ever go back?

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 250 - 318
ginnywings
March 24, 2023, 8:40pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Sandford1981

I can’t disagree with any of that and we thoroughly enjoyed both seasons.
I haven’t got round to The Walk In yet so thanks for the write up, I don’t think you’ve failed me yet with a recommendation.
I have reached the end season (though I haven’t started it yet) of The Americans. I don’t really want it to finish so it’s bittersweet. It’s right up there with the best tv ever and my in laws have started it and love it too.
I see Pennyworth has been cancelled by the way, having already moved once I think that is that. I haven’t started the 3rd yet. Did you ever go back?

No, haven't gone back to it yet, but I will at some point.

I'm in a bit of a detective drama phase at the moment, and although The Walk In doesn't explicitly fall into that category, it still involves a police investigation.

Agree on The Americans being really top notch TV and I'm surprised it isn't better known. I was also sad it came to an end, but good TV is better for not dragging on past it's sell by date.

While writing this post, another TV show popped into my head called The Patriot about an American intelligence officer, and if you haven't seen it, I think you may like it, so worth searching out. It's not your usual spy story and is quite darkly funny.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 251 - 318
Sandford1981
March 25, 2023, 6:32am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

No, haven't gone back to it yet, but I will at some point.

I'm in a bit of a detective drama phase at the moment, and although The Walk In doesn't explicitly fall into that category, it still involves a police investigation.

Agree on The Americans being really top notch TV and I'm surprised it isn't better known. I was also sad it came to an end, but good TV is better for not dragging on past it's sell by date.

While writing this post, another TV show popped into my head called The Patriot about an American intelligence officer, and if you haven't seen it, I think you may like it, so worth searching out. It's not your usual spy story and is quite darkly funny.

I started the patriot a few weeks back but couldn’t get into it although I only watched 30 minutes. I will go back to it though. I’m sometimes like that if I’m just not in the mood at the wrong time.

Did you like True Detective series?

Private Message
Reply: 252 - 318
ginnywings
March 25, 2023, 10:39pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Sandford1981

I started the patriot a few weeks back but couldn’t get into it although I only watched 30 minutes. I will go back to it though. I’m sometimes like that if I’m just not in the mood at the wrong time.

Did you like True Detective series?

The first one was a 10/10 for me, but the second disappointed in comparison.

I can't remember the third series, so not sure if I watched it or not. Went online to have a look and was shocked to see the first series is 9 years old. How time flies.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 253 - 318
Manchester Mariner
March 25, 2023, 10:59pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,827
Gold Stars: 41
I just remember the first series of True Detective being absolutely essential weekly television. The second series just didn't work for me and I sacked it off after a couple of episodes and haven't watched ant subsequent although it's always been in my mind to go back and try.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 254 - 318
Sandford1981
March 26, 2023, 12:56am
Fine Wine Drinker
I thought the first season was sensational, the second poor in comparison but still watchable and the third was absolutely brilliant too. I’m looking forward to the next as well.

Private Message
Reply: 255 - 318
aldi_01
March 27, 2023, 6:55am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
True detective was woeful, well I thought so. Just slow and for all the effort, not the lost spectacular story or twists etc…

Servant was similar, well made and the likes but just lost its way…

Was recently turned on to Ted Lasso. Again, I can’t decide if it’s absolutely dreadful or flipping genius. Short episodes help and you have to remember the football element isn’t the most important, once you overcome that I think it’s just a decent comedy show with a heart.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 256 - 318
Sandford1981
April 8, 2023, 1:24pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Blue Lights
8/10

Follows rookie police officers working in Belfast, a city in which being a frontline response cop comes with unique pressures and dangers.

I knew instantly I would enjoy this series but my other half was not as convinced after an episode but, by the end she was as impressed as I was. Richard Dormer is excellent as a veteran cop named Gerry and is supported by an excellent cast. There is some dark comedy in amongst the drama and it’s all the better for it. I really hope this gets renewed and it could almost be a relation of the series Kin, which I also loved.

Private Message
Reply: 257 - 318
ginnywings
April 8, 2023, 9:13pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Sandford1981
Blue Lights
8/10

Follows rookie police officers working in Belfast, a city in which being a frontline response cop comes with unique pressures and dangers.

I knew instantly I would’ve joy this series but my other half was not convinced after an episode. By the end she was as impressed as I was. Richard Dormer is excellent as a veteran cop named Gerry and is supported by an excellent cast. There is some dark comedy in amongst the drama and it’s all the better for it. I really hope this gets renewed and it could be a relation of the series Kin which I also loved.

Beat me to it. Just finished watching it myself and was about to post some comments.

Was going to give it 7.5, but 8 is fair.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 258 - 318
Sandford1981
April 16, 2023, 7:36am
Fine Wine Drinker
Alaska Daily
7.5/10

After a fall from grace, fiercely talented and award-winning investigative journalist Eileen Fitzgerald leaves her high-profile New York life behind to join a daily metro newspaper in Anchorage. Her journey to find both personal and professional redemption begins.

Hilary Swank is a very good actress and she delivers once more in this series too. Firstly this is a fairly and generally gentle and wholesome affair in the main. It’s very easy watching and doesn’t tax the brain too much but is enjoyable nonetheless. It’s far from groundbreaking and I’m not sure everyone will watch it and agree but we liked it.

Private Message
Reply: 259 - 318
32 Pages Prev ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › TV Times

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.