Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › TV Times
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 37 Guests

TV Times

This thread currently has 14,765 views. Print
32 Pages Prev ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 Next All Recommend Thread
OddShapedBalls
February 28, 2023, 2:03pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 40
Have we covered Ted Lasso?  Series 1 gets an 8.5/10 from me, not seen the other seasons yet but looking forward to them.  

Amateur American Football coach Ted Lasso is hired from small-town USA to be the manager of fictional premier league outfit AFC Richmond (the stadium and kit colours etc are Crystal Palace) and his attempts to keep them up from relegation despite knowing nothing about the game.  The humour is on point, some of the players are over-done caricatures but it's tongue in cheek so no points deducted for that.  Very enjoyable way to spend an evening, crack open the cider and get watching.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 240 - 318
Manchester Mariner
February 28, 2023, 2:27pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,827
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from OddShapedBalls
Have we covered Ted Lasso?  Series 1 gets an 8.5/10 from me, not seen the other seasons yet but looking forward to them.  

Amateur American Football coach Ted Lasso is hired from small-town USA to be the manager of fictional premier league outfit AFC Richmond (the stadium and kit colours etc are Crystal Palace) and his attempts to keep them up from relegation despite knowing nothing about the game.  The humour is on point, some of the players are over-done caricatures but it's tongue in cheek so no points deducted for that.  Very enjoyable way to spend an evening, crack open the cider and get watching.

It's a great series which me and the wife swept through within a fortnight. I don't know anyone who has had a bad word for it. Extremely feel good with a bit of mens mental health thrown in. I'm really looking forward to the next series coming out in the next few weeks.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 241 - 318
Maringer
February 28, 2023, 4:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,727
Gold Stars: 189
We enjoyed Ted Lasso and also went through it earlier this month as well.

My only criticism is the use of Americanisms in many of the footballing terms - repeated by Chris Powell and Arlo White. I understand that this was probably done so the US market would understand what was meant (those of them who know anything about the game), but it was the one thing which jarred with me.

We've got a 3 months free trial for Apple TV+ so I'm cramming as many of those shows in as I can. Currently enjoying 'Slow Horses' a lot and 'Shrinking' is pretty good as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 242 - 318
OddShapedBalls
March 1, 2023, 4:09pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Maringer
We enjoyed Ted Lasso and also went through it earlier this month as well.

My only criticism is the use of Americanisms in many of the footballing terms - repeated by Chris Powell and Arlo White. I understand that this was probably done so the US market would understand what was meant (those of them who know anything about the game), but it was the one thing which jarred with me.

We've got a 3 months free trial for Apple TV+ so I'm cramming as many of those shows in as I can. Currently enjoying 'Slow Horses' a lot and 'Shrinking' is pretty good as well.

Slow Horses is awesome, I hope there's not too long a wait for the 3rd series!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 243 - 318
Manchester Mariner
March 1, 2023, 5:03pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,827
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from OddShapedBalls

Slow Horses is awesome, I hope there's not too long a wait for the 3rd series!

Gary Oldman is absolutely brilliant in this. Jackson Lamb is such a great character.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 244 - 318
Sandford1981
March 10, 2023, 3:10pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.96
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,099
Gold Stars: 59
Unforgotten
(Series 5)
8/10

When a severed leg is discovered inside a chimney the team get to work identifying the victim.

I’ve really enjoyed this show but was slightly concerned I’d enjoy it less with Nicola Walker moving on and being replaced. I needn’t have worried as I thought they weaved it well in to the storyline itself, essentially the characters mirrored how the audience may feel. As always we binged it and we were suitably impressed. I read the creator already has a season 6 in his head-I just hope ITV have the good grace to commission it!

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 245 - 318
ginnywings
March 10, 2023, 6:42pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Sandford1981
Unforgotten
(Series 5)
8/10

When a severed leg is discovered inside a chimney the team get to work identifying the victim.

I’ve really enjoyed this show but was slightly concerned I’d enjoy it less with Nicola Walker moving on and being replaced. I needn’t have worried as I thought they weaved it well in to the storyline itself, essentially the characters mirrored how the audience may feel. As always we binged it and we were suitably impressed. I read the creator already has a season 6 in his head-I just hope ITV have the good grace to commission it!

I'd broadly agree with that, but I feel it will never be quite as good without Nicola Walker, because she was superb in the previous seasons.

Like you, I would give it an 8, where I would give it a 9 previously.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 246 - 318
Sandford1981
March 10, 2023, 7:06pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.96
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,099
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from ginnywings

I'd broadly agree with that, but I feel it will never be quite as good without Nicola Walker, because she was superb in the previous seasons.

Like you, I would give it an 8, where I would give it a 9 previously.

I like Nicola Walker as an actress and the jury is out to see if it can be AS good but I was impressed with the transition nonetheless.
I like Sinead Keenan and thought she was very good in Little boy blue and Three families.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 247 - 318
ginnywings
March 23, 2023, 8:06pm

Recovering Alcoholic
The Walk-In. 9/10

The ever excellent Stephen Graham plays the part of Mathew Collins in a true story of an ex NF and BNP thug who turns against his mates and becomes a grass. He then goes on to become a journalist for the Hope not Hate group, campaigning against right wing groups in the U.K.

He has to put up with constant threats to himself and his family, and also has to move house regularly.

There are several real events portrayed in this drama, from the killing of Jo Cox to the Manchester bombing, and it's quite scary that lots of young, disenchanted and often lonely young men, get sucked into the right wing gangs who offer them friendship and camaraderie.

Really enjoyed this series and can recommend.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 248 - 318
ginnywings
March 24, 2023, 4:31pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Manhunt series 2. 9/10.

I wouldn't normally watch anything starring Marin Clunes as he generally plays a type of character that doesn't appeal to me, but he's perfect for the role of DCI Colin Sutton, who was a real life detective, and the 2 series are based on his memoirs.

I watched the first one some time back, which concerned the murder of a French student and I enjoyed it, but the second one is a bit longer and even better.

It deals with the hunt for a serial burglar and rapist whose victims were generally old women, some in their 80's. Because of faults by the authorities, he managed to carry out hundreds of offences of a period of 17 years, and Sutton is brought onto the case to give it a fresh pair of eyes and is to be his last job before retiring.

He sets about about in his unassuming way to taking over the case and trying a different approach to what has gone on before. He comes up with a strategy involving lots of officers and surveillance, which is very time consuming and expensive, so it's a bit of a race against time to catch the culprit before the plug is pulled on his operation.

I really enjoyed this series and the fact it is a true story adds to the tension. Thoroughly recommended.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 249 - 318
32 Pages Prev ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › TV Times

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.