Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Jesus Christ
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 33 Guests

Jesus Christ

This thread currently has 17,463 views. Print
37 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Rick12
February 22, 2021, 2:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from ginnywings
Wow! The God delusion is strong.

I'm out.
Your missing the bigger picture Ginny. You take them words from Richard Dawkins  who hasnt got all the answers. I take my view from experience and the way religion has healed hardcore criminals and many others.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 364
grimsby pete
February 22, 2021, 2:21pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,802
Gold Stars: 222
I am with Ginny getting too deep for me so I am out too.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 364
mariner91
February 22, 2021, 2:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,695
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from DB

I know of a dental case where a person was charged about £250 NHS. Same practise, same dentist and same dental work done privately was listed at about £1,700? So what was the extra £1,350 being charged for?

Mariner as much as I respect your views I opened this thread to be about Jesus Christ. We seem to have diversified massively from it so I will not be answering any more of your questions on this thread on the NHS etc. If you wish to open your own thread on your topic then I will willingly discuss it their.

More time taken, better materials used, better laboratory and potentially more difficult procedure. Some materials are not paid for by the NHS. Now I’ve absolutely no idea what they were charging for but that sort of price would suggest to me either an upper and lower cobalt chrome denture (can’t get it made with cobalt chrome on the NHS) or multiple crowns or bridgework. Again, there are many materials that cannot be used for NHS when it comes to crowns and bridges. The £250 charge (would have been £282 if recent) is a band 3 treatment on the NHS which includes anything that needs a laboratory to make something. On the NHS the dentist gets 12 UDAs (units of dental activity) for any band 3 but you only get 12 no matter how many crowns (for example) you fit. The local average payment to the dentist is about £12 per UDA so a crown gets around £140 and the lab cost of the crown is approximately £30 to the dentist. If you have to fit three crowns the lab cost will be £90 but you still only get  around £140 in payment meaning you’ve spent probably a couple of hours doing difficult work for not much money when you consider the high demand and high levels of skill necessary to perform the task. Which is why the UDA system is bad for patients because it encourages ‘managed neglect’ potentially.

If you’re going to cast aspersions as to a profession being money grabbers then please at least have some basic understanding of what you’re talking about.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 364
monkeyboy
February 23, 2021, 8:47am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
Jesus ? load of bolloxs.  Monkeyboy - page 1 sentance 1.

All the good books written to control the masses and creates nothing but greed!

i do believe in something but not in books written by men.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 364
Rick12
February 23, 2021, 9:06am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from monkeyboy

Pleased you believe in something Monkeyboy but Jesus existed. I would bet my life on it.  In 1986 for instance they discovered a boat in the sea of Galilee where story's of  Jesus was often mentioned in the bible albeit could have been embellished by later man. Carbon dated to Jesus's time. Likewise archaeologists are constantly finding new stuff even now all linked to when Jesus was alive.

If you go to the holy land it will change some part of you Iam almost certain be it consciously or subconsciously  .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 364
codcheeky
February 23, 2021, 10:14am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Rick12
Pleased you believe in something Monkeyboy but Jesus existed. I would bet my life on it.  In 1986 for instance they discovered a boat in the sea of Galilee where story's of  Jesus was often mentioned in the bible albeit could have been embellished by later man. Carbon dated to Jesus's time. Likewise archaeologists are constantly finding new stuff even now all linked to when Jesus was alive.

If you go to the holy land it will change some part of you Iam almost certain be it consciously or subconsciously  .

No one disputes that that time did exist, none of this proves anything about Jesus or what he did or didn’t preach. There is no proof he was the son of God if he did, he certainly would be unlikely to be a  white man with blue eyes as your church likes to depict him.
If they found a  bit of rusty metal dating to the time of when King Arthur was supposed to be alive would this be proof he existed?
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 364
Rick12
February 23, 2021, 11:02am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from codcheeky

No one disputes that that time did exist, none of this proves anything about Jesus or what he did or didn’t preach. There is no proof he was the son of God if he did, he certainly would be unlikely to be a  white man with blue eyes as your church likes to depict him.
If they found a  bit of rusty metal dating to the time of when King Arthur was supposed to be alive would this be proof he existed?
Without  going back to the film thread of which numerous things have been said  there you need to look at the hard facts. I think the closest evidence we have of what Jesus tried to do is Marks gospel which is one of the earliest accounts of Jesus life/message. Likewise within years of Jesus's death a movement started to  spread all founded on Jesus's message which is still alive today. Trying to do good and following the divine way. Subsequent holy men have followed suit notably the most recent large one with the Guru Nanak and the founding of Sikhism starting  in India.

Iam not saying he was the son of God(he may of been though) but he was certainly a holy man. Think of a embellished modern day Dalai Lama.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 364
DB
February 23, 2021, 11:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.46
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,042
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from monkeyboy

Their are many good educational books written to inform people.

So who are the authors of the books you refer to that are not written by men

You have said a rational explanation why?

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 364
DB
February 23, 2021, 12:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.46
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,042
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from codcheeky

I wrote on a previous post about an historian who lived at the time of Jesus and have now remembered his name.

What did the historian Josephus say about Jesus?
About this time there lived Jesus, a wise man, if indeed one ought to call him a man. For he was one who performed surprising deeds and was a teacher of such people as accept the truth gladly. He won over many Jews and many of the Greeks. He was the Christ.

Nobody knows his colouring but given the books of Peter, the first Pope, their is ample evidence of the life of Jesus.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 364
Sandford1981
February 23, 2021, 12:53pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
A note of caution on Josephus, as an historian, he was something of a puzzle. On the one hand, he's an ‘eyewitness’  to many of these supposed events that took place. In many cases, he's the only source we have for some very important events and stories. Josephus was known to embellish as do most ancient historians. They tell a story.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 364
37 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Jesus Christ

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.