Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Jesus Christ
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 19 Guests

Jesus Christ

This thread currently has 17,375 views. Print
37 Pages Prev ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Hagrid
April 15, 2021, 11:02am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,377
Gold Stars: 532
i was brought up Catholic, but i must admit to wavering, too many inaccuracies. its hard to live a life as catholic, and not one i can do
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 180 - 364
DB
April 15, 2021, 6:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,996
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from Hagrid
i was brought up Catholic, but i must admit to wavering, too many inaccuracies. its hard to live a life as catholic, and not one i can do

You shouldn't worry about this. I don't belong to any denomination, just being a Christian is sufficient. From what I have witnessed, seen, and understood most denominations fall short in their ways. Many preach do as we say, and not have we do. Just believe.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 181 - 364
FishOutOfWater
April 18, 2021, 12:40am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Hagrid

I'm not being facetious, but isn't one of the better elements of this religion ( the Catholic faith that is ) being able to confess and repent?

I don't know enough about it but is that because as the old saying goes " to err is human " so it allows some latitude for those who undoubtedly will struggle to keep on the straight and narrow?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 182 - 364
KingstonMariner
April 18, 2021, 2:42am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
One of my bezzies is a sinful man. And a staunch Catholic. Nothing major. But he knows he’ll be forgiven. He often tells me Protestants don’t have as much fun.

Clearly they’ve got the marketing strategy right.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 183 - 364
DB
April 18, 2021, 3:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner
One of my bezzies is a sinful man. And a staunch Catholic. Nothing major. But he knows he’ll be forgiven. He often tells me Protestants don’t have as much fun.

Clearly they’ve got the marketing strategy right.

Jesus said ' Go and sin no more'

Catholics have their sins forgiven and then go out and commit the same or similar sin. Big differance!

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 184 - 364
Biccys
May 5, 2021, 1:13pm
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from DB

You shouldn't worry about this. I don't belong to any denomination, just being a Christian is sufficient. From what I have witnessed, seen, and understood most denominations fall short in their ways. Many preach do as we say, and not have we do. Just believe.

So much to unpack in this thread...
"Just Believe" Isn't possible when there's no evidence or logical reason to do so. Rational people understand this, irrational people rely on faith. Faith isn't a reliable path to truth which is important to most people.

The bible isn't a history book, at all. So many of the stories are literal parables or word of mouth tales that have clearly been embellished over the passing of time. Lots of it (especially in the OT) are hateful and downright evil! Follow the kill count in the OT. God murders literally everyone on the planet for not doing what they were already pre-destined by him to do. Nothing happens without god's say so after all right?!

The OT is *NOT* the story of Jesus, that would be the NT. So the question is, if the stories in the OT are fables and stories from an ignorant time told by people who didn't know where the sun went at night time, why hold any of it in any regard? And then, if you follow that line of thinking, what's the point of the NT and Jesus' story if the Adam & Eve tale isn't factually correct? If there's no fall, no original sin, there's no need for the crucifixion as penance for man's evildoing...

Follow the NT by all means, there's some good Hippy stuff in there, love thy neighbour, etc, but don't think for a second that the book is in any way historical.  

The council of Nicea saw that the stories were ordered in such a way to keep people under the cosh of religious fear. Constantine saw the need for it as he was losing his grip.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 185 - 364
DB
May 5, 2021, 1:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Biccys

So much to unpack in this thread...
"Just Believe" Isn't possible when there's no evidence or logical reason to do so. Rational people understand this, irrational people rely on faith. Faith isn't a reliable path to truth which is important to most people.

The bible isn't a history book, at all. So many of the stories are literal parables or word of mouth tales that have clearly been embellished over the passing of time. Lots of it (especially in the OT) are hateful and downright evil! Follow the kill count in the OT. God murders literally everyone on the planet for not doing what they were already pre-destined by him to do. Nothing happens without god's say so after all right?!

The OT is *NOT* the story of Jesus, that would be the NT. So the question is, if the stories in the OT are fables and stories from an ignorant time told by people who didn't know where the sun went at night time, why hold any of it in any regard? And then, if you follow that line of thinking, what's the point of the NT and Jesus' story if the Adam & Eve tale isn't factually correct? If there's no fall, no original sin, there's no need for the crucifixion as penance for man's evildoing...

Follow the NT by all means, there's some good Hippy stuff in there, love thy neighbour, etc, but don't think for a second that the book is in any way historical.  

The council of Nicea saw that the stories were ordered in such a way to keep people under the cosh of religious fear. Constantine saw the need for it as he was losing his grip.

Sufficient evidence has been shown that Jesus Christ did exist and was as recorded in the New Testament. So you only have to believe.

With regard to your comments about the Old Testament, you have to remember that this was written for the Israelites/Jews and not for us gentiles. Gentiles were only accepted by the Christian faith as being no different to them after the death of Jesus and recorded in 1 Peter. The same Peter who was the first Pope.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 186 - 364
Biccys
May 5, 2021, 1:52pm
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from DB

Sufficient evidence has been shown that Jesus Christ did exist and was as recorded in the New Testament. So you only have to believe.

With regard to your comments about the Old Testament, you have to remember that this was written for the Israelites/Jews and not for us gentiles. Gentiles were only accepted by the Christian faith as being no different to them after the death of Jesus and recorded in 1 Peter. The same Peter who was the first Pope.

I think what you and I call "sufficient evidence" are fundamentally different.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 187 - 364
ginnywings
May 5, 2021, 9:20pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
"Recorded in the New Testament" is not evidence.

Belief isn't enough I'm afraid.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 188 - 364
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 5, 2021, 10:03pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
The OT and NT are simply collections of legends and hearsay. They have been granted some significance of interpretation that joins the beliefs of the time they were written with the time they were discovered and on to the time they are being read. So in 100 years the interpretations will have developed a new perspective through time and changing attitudes as well as likely new discoveries of more texts.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 189 - 364
37 Pages Prev ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Jesus Christ

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.